• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resolved -- Cannot get a response from SantiagoWays

Allgo2

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I discovered the Camino rather late in life: we were in our sixties, but love at first sight. Over the years we have done bits and pieces of the Way in both France and Spain; perhaps the most memorable was that trip over the Pyrenees. Now that we are old, with various health issues, we have opted for a slower, "deluxe" version: Sarria - Santiago in 9 days. It includes accommodation, private bathroom, breakfast, an evening meal and luggage taxied between "country cottages", as well as transport from the airport at Santiago to Sarria.

The price for two people with SantiagoWays was 2,290 Euros. I was told "Around one month prior to the start of the trip you will receive all the information you need". We fly, not in one month, but in one week. Despite several emails and phone calls (they tell me they are very busy and still working on it) I am beginning to wonder, could the whole thing be - Oh ye of little faith - a scam?

Does anyone have a happier experience of SantiagoWays?

TIA,
Allgo2

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have been trying, but am not an expert sleuth, to find who owns them, in the sense of where they actually operate from... very little info for the casual hunter.
I do hope to see a positive post from you in the near future...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How long ago did you book it? Finding good private places may not be easy,
at a late date.

Personally, I would call them back up and ask to speak to whoever is in charge of the operation. To be told a week before you leave, assuming you booked it a whille ago, that they are still working on it, is an unacceptable response! Ask them what the specific problem is? If they are stll working on it, a week before you leave, the problem may be occupancy-availability! Good luck finding an upscale place now!

My wife and I discovered the Camino rather late in life: we were in our sixties, but love at first sight. Over the years we have done bits and pieces of the Way in both France and Spain; perhaps the most memorable was that trip over the Pyrenees. Now that we are old, with various health issues, we have opted for a slower, "deluxe" version: Sarria - Santiago in 9 days. It includes accommodation, private bathroom, breakfast, an evening meal and luggage taxied between "country cottages", as well as transport from the airport at Santiago to Sarria.

The price for two people with SantiagoWays was 2,290 Euros. I was told "Around one month prior to the start of the trip you will receive all the information you need". We fly, not in one month, but in one week. Despite several emails and phone calls (they tell me they are very busy and still working on it) I am beginning to wonder, could the whole thing be - Oh ye of little faith - a scam?

TIA,
Allgo2
By the way, in the future you could do all of this for a lot less yourself online.
Use booking.com for the hotels or casa rurals, use Correos.com (paq mochilla) to have your bags sent. Arrange a service on line to pick you up at SCQ airport, and then you could have your accommodation call a taxi to pick you up when departing Santiago. I have arranged this for other friends. Not difficult. Many places include or offer breakfast, or you can eat along the way. Lots of hotels offer a fixed menu or there are some really nice places to eat in these towns.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi!
Only my opinion.

I don't think they are a scam!

There are many reviews on their Facebook page; the good ,the bad and the ugly!
Hope it all works out fine for you!!
Buen Camino
Woody

I don't think that they are a scam. I have seen people recommend them here and in other places.

I hope that you hear from them soon!

TIA,
Allgo2
Tweet them. @CaminoWays Twitter always works best with any travel operator.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the above, Trecile. I just phoned (there was a supposedly Irish number) and spoke to an agent. As Robo said, an Id number or booking number will move the issue forward. I said it would be such a pity if their company comes out of this with a poor reputation. So, to the OP: ring before 7pm Spanish time this evening if you can, and please do let us know how you get on.
512C58A3-7C1F-45BD-B066-9C50C54F526B.png

Thank you Pafayac, Kirkie, Marbe2 and Robo - I am very touched by your comments and « detective » work. The full sum for the trip had to be paid 1 month before our departure on Sept 1. The official reason given for the delay is that the operations department is « still waiting for some confirmation forms from our suppliers » Ivar made an interesting suggestion, viz it’s a holy year, which might explain the heavy bookings and, if push comes to shove, ask for a refund! So I guess we’ll just have to be patient for another day or two before coming to a decision.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I contacted them back on 2018. They were very helpful and accommodating to our needs.
On Robo’s reply, I noticed that they are now on Palmas; so guess, they moved operations since I contacted them.
Here is the contact information from back then:

+34 722 21 03 60 (Horario de atención de Lunes a Viernes: 10.00-19:00)
+34 689 639 925 (SOLO EMERGENCIASfuera del horario de atención)
administracion@santiagoways.com
SantiagoWays.com

Datos de facturación:
Ways Village S.L
B66450875
Calderón de la Barca 12, entreplanta, 39002, Santander, Cantabria, España.

Hope this helps and that the situation be solved in favor of OP.

Buen Camino

Thank you for the above, Trecile. I just phoned (there was a supposedly Irish number) and spoke to an agent. As Robo said, an Id number or booking number will move the issue forward. I said it would be such a pity if their company comes out of this with a poor reputation. So, to the OP: ring before 7pm Spanish time this evening if you can, and please do let us know how you get on.
View attachment 131529
Very thoughtful of you to phone them.

UK residents using a UK credit card have very strong consumer protection for purchases over £100. This requires the issuing bank to reimburse the consumer if the purchase is problematic.
Do you have something similar if you paid by credit card? Either statutory or as a protection from your bank?
Although I hope that this is purely hypothetical and you receive all your travel details very soon.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Pafayac, Kirkie, Marbe2 and Robo - I am very touched by your comments and « detective » work. The full sum for the trip had to be paid 1 month before our departure on Sept 1. The official reason given for the delay is that the operations department is « still waiting for some confirmation forms from our suppliers » Ivar made an interesting suggestion, viz it’s a holy year, which might explain the heavy bookings and, if push comes to shove, ask for a refund! So I guess we’ll just have to be patient for another day or two before coming to a decision.

I think you have already been patient.
Time to call them and put your mind at rest.
Hopefully all will be resolved on the phone.

Last edited:
Thank you Pafayac, Kirkie, Marbe2 and Robo - I am very touched by your comments and « detective » work. The full sum for the trip had to be paid 1 month before our departure on Sept 1. The official reason given for the delay is that the operations department is « still waiting for some confirmation forms from our suppliers » Ivar made an interesting suggestion, viz it’s a holy year, which might explain the heavy bookings and, if push comes to shove, ask for a refund! So I guess we’ll just have to be patient for another day or two before coming to a …
The company obciously knew that it was a holy year as well? So I am confused as why they are still working on it.

If the Company, doesn’t work out., why not try to book it on your own.? When exactly are you due to arrive in Santiago? Where did you plan to stay, towns-wise….did you map this out with them as an itinerary? There are some places still available in Sarria that are good. however, we would need your proposed stops to help you out... many of us can give you recommendations as to where it is good to eat as well. how far do you plan on walking each day?

Last edited:
The company obciously knew that it was a holy year as well? So I am confused as why they are still working on it.

If the Company, doesn’t work out., why not try to book it on your own.? When exactly are you due to arrive in Santiago? Where did you plan to stay, towns-wise….did you map this out with them as an itinerary? There are some places still available in Sarria that are good. however, we would need your proposed stops to help you out... many of us can give you recommendations as to where it is good to eat as well. how far do you plan on walking each day?

They have already paid I think......

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would love to make my own bookings, but my wife - for a host of reasons - now needs a more formal organisation. I’ve gone through my old emails and see that my reservation was confirmed on July 27, 2022. They said « We will start working on it right away. » That was four weeks ago.

I spoke to a young lady, named Maria, just now. She said the ten nights were all confirmed except for one booking: they require written confirmation. I told her I was about to cancel and ask for a complete refund. This may have the desired effect; our fate will be decided in the next few hours - will keep you posted.

I would love to make my own bookings, but my wife - for a host of reasons - now needs a more formal organisation. I’ve gone through my old emails and see that my reservation was confirmed on July 27, 2022. They said « We will start working on it right away. » That was four weeks ago.

I spoke to a young lady, named Maria, just now. She said the ten nights were all confirmed except for one booking: they require written confirmation. I told her I was about to cancel and ask for a complete refund. This may have the desired effect; our fate will be decided in the next few hours - will keep you posted.

If you book through booking.com you will have reservation confirmations…if you can still find them. We have fixed reservations at private places throughout. Starting end of Sept. Keep us informed. How far do you plan to walk each day?

Last edited:
Thx for your suggestion, Marbe2, but we had planned to fly into Santiago on Sept 1.

By way of practice for the Camino, I have been doing lots and lots of walking over the past several months.

Sadly, very sadly, I’ve had to pull the plug; I have just asked SantiagoWays for a refund. I thought quite naively that the whole thing could be settled with one or two phone calls.

There seems to be a massive rift between the mentality of pilgrims and that of a commercial enterprise: one booking out of ten had not been confirmed and that’s enough to collapse the whole trip.

I appreciate the tremendous good will and support I’ve found in this online community; this afternoon,
it really chokes me up to say Buen Camino - I’ll end with muchas gracias.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I told her I was about to cancel and ask for a complete refund

What do the booking terms say about refunds? Usually, and this applies to almost all the holiday industry, there is a limit to the amount you can get refunded.

Also look at the applicable laws - Spanish contract, Swiss contract or another.

Hate to disappoint but you're stuck with the terms you agreed to, unless the company makes a discretionary offer.

What do the booking terms say about refunds? Usually, and this applies to almost all the holiday industry, there is a limit to the amount you can get refunded.

Also look at the applicable laws - Spanish contract, Swiss contract or another.

Hate to disappoint but you're stuck with the terms you agreed to, unless the company makes a discretionary offer.
In this case the company has failed to deliver what the OP has purchased.

In this case the company has failed to deliver what the OP has purchased.

It appears the OP is *anticipating* a failure of the company to deliver. The contract is not null until it is actually broken.

Dealing with these sorts of issue is my day job and many have come to grief on the anticipatory element. Regrettably you have to allow the other party to perform even though you expect they may not.

Hope @Allgo2 gets all their money back.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just received a quote from them 7-10 days ago. Here is the contact info from that quote. Do let us know how it works out. Good luck’s

Cristina Ostáriz

Santiago Ways
Official Travel Agency for the Camino de Santiago
Official License Number: AV4433.1
united-kingdom-flag-icon-32.png +44 20 4577 1092
united-states-of-america-flag-icon-32.png +1 347-897-9603
ireland-flag-icon-32.png +353 1 906 9259
australia-flag-icon-32.png +61 2 8317 3616
canada-flag-icon-32.png +1 (437) 886-3265
spain-flag-icon-32.png +34 928 970 605
SantiagoWays.com

Those of us of the forum know that there is a very easy option if you can’t get accommodation for one night - you use a taxi to a nearby accommodation and then back to where you started the next day. It’s surprising that a Camino operator would not have arranged that.
Allgo2, if you’re ever tempted to try again send me a PM and I will happily assist.

Unless I miss my guess, Santiago Ways and Camino Ways are/were two different companies...which makes me wonder, since OP mentioned an Irish number. For me, CaminoWays was the company based in Ireland. I had no troubles.

It makes no sense at all that they wouldn't provide the rest of the services, for the lack of one night.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unless I miss my guess, Santiago Ways and Camino Ways are/were two different companies...which makes me wonder, since OP mentioned an Irish number. For me, CaminoWays was the company based in Ireland. I had no troubles.
It wasn't the OP, but @kirkie in post #3 who mentined an Irish phone number.

I have been trying, but am not an expert sleuth, to find who owns them, in the sense of where they actually operate from... very little info for the casual hunter.
I do hope to see a positive post from you in the near future...

I once went on a trekking/hiking trip that I had booked at relatively short notice (perhaps similarly to the OP?) where the organisers did not manage to send me my documentation by mail in time, as stated or promised in their brochure. They handed me the papers with details about the daily itinerary and the daily accommodation at the airport just before departure. It was a great trip.

Like all of us, I know only what I read in this thread. It appears to me that the company has arranged bookings for all ten nights and they are waiting for written confirmation for one of these ten reservations. And it's now about a week before the start of this Camino trip. I don't really see that the company has failed to deliver so far. Of course, something can always go wrong with everything but I don't see that they would not try to find a different solution (another accommodation, maybe further away with a taxi transfer there and back on this one day) if this one reservation arrangement falls through after all. Santiagoways appears to be an established Camino tour operator in Spain.

In any case, as the OP has now already requested cancellation, I, too, hope that he gets all his money back.

Last edited:
Dear Allgo2!
Sorry that it has reached this point for you so very stressful.

This may be completely irrelevant if the cancellation has actually taken place.

If you could communicate with them and find out which night's accommodation is not verified and they forward everything else before you travel things might not be that bad!
For example it could be day 7;you have a week before you fly so that's 14 days before it's needed for them to find you a room!

If that is the only missing piece of the puzzle and travel and all other aspects are in place you still have 7 days for them to come through.
And you would have your Camino.
Only my opinion but. i would imagine that they haven't reneged on their agreement until the day of departure. ( i have to admit i don't know your legal agreement with the company; but that to me seems logical)
I hope this all resolves itself in you favour; good luck with it!
All the best
Woody

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm, I've followed this thread with some mild interest and I've tried to keep grumpy Tinker in his box.

It strikes me that, on the information provided, the company has not failed in its obligations. It may do one day soon. Perhaps on the 1st September, but in the meantime they've plenty of time to resolve an, repeat an, issue of accommodation on one night. Those who've walked the caminos free-style will know that there is always a resolution. The company is well known, has been in business for many years and appears to have a good reputation. I suspect that they are reasonably good at their job and given the opportunity will resolve the problem to their customers satisfaction or refund in accordance with the terms & conditions that their customer accepted.

Meanwhile, there is a camino lesson for many, even all, here. The Camino; or better the many pilgrimage routes to the shrine of Santiago, the caminos, are not an holiday. Camino is not shrink wrapped, in a box, clearly labelled and with instructions "open here". Camino is not guaranteed, even by those try to sell it that way. Camino is an opportunity, one full of surprises, challenges, disappointments and joys and, for some, those are still Holy roads and we all know they can be bumpy...

It strikes me that, on the information provided, the company has not failed in its obligations. It may do one day soon. Perhaps on the 1st September, but in the meantime they've plenty of time to resolve an, repeat an, issue of accommodation on one night.
You're right. I was premature in saying that the company has not delivered what has been paid for.

And even more correct with this

Meanwhile, there is a camino lesson for many, even all, here. The Camino; or better the many pilgrimage routes to the shrine of Santiago, the caminos, are not an holiday. Camino is not shrink wrapped, in a box, clearly labelled and with instructions "open here". Camino is not guaranteed, even by those try to sell it that way. Camino is an opportunity, one full of surprises, challenges, disappointments and joys and, for some, those are still Holy roads and we all know they can be bumpy...

I must give you a belated update. Yesterday afternoon, I wrote to SantiagoWays, asking for a refund. At 19:30, before I had time to cancel the flights, I received a detailed offer (no phone calls, apologies and especially not an acknowledgement of my email). So the trip is now on...

As for the Camino « lessons », mentioned in this thread, it seems to me we are all different, with our own particular crosses to bear. SantiagoWays has their crosses too. While surfing the web yesterday, I came across another tour company, which provides pilgrims with all sorts of aids, even their own phone - but double the price!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wonderful news! Soon you and your wife will be truly on your way. Please do let your digital readers know how this new journey progresses.
Buen camino to you both!

It is just such good news for you and your wife. I am glad Santiagoways has come up to the mark, and your faith in them has been proven. Now, plan A can go ahead! Buen Camino.
Thank you for update, very important..

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I must give you a belated update. Yesterday afternoon, I wrote to SantiagoWays, asking for a refund. At 19:30, before I had time to cancel the flights, I received a detailed offer (no phone calls, apologies and especially not an acknowledgement of my email). So the trip is now on...

As for the Camino « lessons », mentioned in this thread, it seems to me we are all different, with our own particular crosses to bear. SantiagoWays has their crosses too. While surfing the web yesterday, I came across another tour company, which provides pilgrims with all sorts of aids, even their own phone - but double the price!
And do let us know how it goes!

Glad you finally got resolution! Hope you and your wife have uneventful fligts, good connections and all goes smoothly! Pax!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Three weeks ago on this forum, I asked if my booking with SantiagoWays could be a scam. I must report today that the touring company finally stepped up with their advertised package. The only incident to report was that the chauffeur, who picked us up at the airport, did not know which hotel he was supposed to deliver us to in Sarria. He ended up dropping us off at the wrong one! However the rest of the trip was perfect, with good quality hotels and country cottages along the way. The luggage always arrived at the right place. And to my wife’s great relief, there wasn’t even a bed bug to report! We probably walked on average 15 k a day and were delighted with the trip. Many thx and best wishes to all those people on the forum who gave us their support.

A couple of oldies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back