• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource for short distances?

Nancy SV

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to spend the month of May walking from Leon to Santiago. I have hip problems, so walking 15 miles per day is entirely unrealistic. I can do an occasional 10 mile day, but prefer to keep daily distances shorter than that. Is that possible?

Know of any resources that I can use to plan? The standard segments are too long - so I'm hoping there are some sort of hostels along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I plan to spend the month of May walking from Leon to Santiago. I have hip problems, so walking 15 miles per day is entirely unrealistic. I can do an occasional 10 mile day, but prefer to keep daily distances shorter than that. Is that possible?

Know of any resources that I can use to plan? The standard segments are too long - so I'm hoping there are some sort of hostels along the way.
Yes. You can use this site

Know of any resources that I can use to plan? The standard segments are too long
What resources have you tried? The site that Trecile showed is very convenient for calculating distances, but most guide books show intermediate opportunities. The popular Brierley guide shows many accommodations all along the route, and you can put together your own daily distances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Excellent! So far, I've just been reading blogs - haven't gotten an actual guide yet. Have any recommendations for a good guide book that would include intermediate towns?

Oh wait - I just read your post again. I will look for the Brierley guide - not sure what my mind read the first time through.

www.gronze.com is also an excellent resource. You can see where the albergues are and plan.

Walking 10 miles or less a day is fairly common. You will find several towns/villages and albergues along the Camino, not only at the end of each guidebook suggested stage. In fact. suggested stages are just that, suggested and the Camino (especially after León) allows to elaborate your own plan and walking distances thanks to the number of places to stay at etc.

Gronze.com is a classic and easy to navigate despite being in Spanish. Maps and distances are clear and services along each suggested stage are also spot on. But really any guidebook, app or website pretty much offers the same info.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Gronze.com is a classic and easy to navigate despite being in Spanish
If you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English. You have to be careful though, because it will also translate many place names. For instance Ventosa translates as Sucker, Cirueña becomes Plum Tree, and Hornillos del Camino becomes Stoves of the Way. 😀

If you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English. You have to be careful though, because it will also translate many place names. For instance Ventosa translates as Sucker, Cirueña becomes Plum Tree, and Hornillos del Camino becomes Stoves of the Way. 😀

awesome! :D

Walking the shorter distances means you will may need to have as many resources as possible to know as many places to find a bed as possible. I would use Gronze, Bookings.com if you really need to find a higher priced place to stay, Buen Camino app and Wise Pilgrim app. They will all give you many of the same places but they all have a few places that the others don't. Remember to stop too soon rather than too late. Have a number the local taxis in case you need to call one. If you can't speak Spanish I doubt it will be hard to find someone to help you to call a taxi if you need it no matter where you are.I would assume that you know your condition and your issues well. I would also assume that pain can rear its ugly head at any moment. When you arrive at night ask about a number of the local taxi service. Since you are not walking far you will have it on hand in case you need it the next day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

You will find it easy and simple to walk shorter distances. There is no need or requirement to walk the ”sections” that are identified in guidebooks. Use the Brierley guide and Booking.com or other guides and booking sites that list out the many towns and sleeping possibilities. Short segments will be easy to identify and book in advance if you want. An additional possibility is to use a bag transport service to keep the weight down that you carry while walking. A final thought is to make use of hiking poles that take weight off your hips and knees and provide improved balance.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back