• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Respects to Mark Allen

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
After reading Dave Bugg’s sad commentary about his Camino experience, I am moved to say my second Camino was a bit the same. I have since completed six more. Sometimes it just depends on the crowd one falls in with. This year on the Norte, I did not feel welcomed by the crowd walking in June but then I am insular so I did not care.
A great Camino friend of mine who got bummed out by the same vive (Camino and Forum) is out there some where today. I have hesitated to announce it but Mark Allen started walking from SJPdP about a week or so ago and is planning to be on the Camino for 45 days, ha, ha.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After reading Dave Bugg’s sad commentary about his Camino experience, I am moved to say my second Camino was a bit the same. I have since completed six more. Sometimes it just depends on the crowd one falls in with. This year on the Norte, I did not feel welcomed by the crowd walking in June but then I am insular so I did not care.
A great Camino friend of mine who got bummed out by the same vive (Camino and Forum) is out there some where today. I have hesitated to announce it but Mark Allen started walking from SJPdP about a week or so ago and is planning to be on the Camino for 45 days, ha, ha.

I REALLY miss his ha, ha's. May he return to forum asap.

Buen camino him.

Is that the same Mark who was a policeman and lives in New Orleans? I think so as I remember his ha ha's, too. I missed his contributions for some time after he left. I'm not on FB, but I suppose he and others can continue to connect and comment in that manner. (I also missed @anemone del camino, too, after she left the forum around the same time. She was full of good knowledge, yet sometimes a bit too fiesty maybe?)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good to hear he's out there savouring the camino. I miss our arguments about bedbugs! (Although I am almost argued-out about them.)

I think people leave the forum for various reasons - I doubt that there could be any forum with any set of rules/culture/guidelines that would keep everybody happy all the time. We can get very annoyed even at the people we most love. So it is a case of deciding when the frustration/displeasure outweighs the benefit/pleasure of the forum. Also we need to consider our own blood pressure and time management techniques! I think the forum addicts will understand what I mean.

Having said that, I did like having Mark, Anenome and others in the forum community, and hope they'll at least come back to visit occasionally. Maybe they do, as readers, so this thread is great. For example, I am always happy to see Doug appear occasionally.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How does one know people have left the forum? Just because they don’t post for a while? They may not have anything particular to comment for a while. I have never read a post where someone says he/she is leaving!

???

How does one know people have left the forum? Just because they don’t post for a while?
You notice it when you can no longer search for their messages on the basis of their @forum name. If you happen to come across their old messages you will see the monniker Guest under their avatar. Some people do announce that they will leave but sadly Anemone del Camino and also Mark didn't.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I got an email from Mark Lee tonight, he is in Logrono headed west at a slow pace. He says there are not so many pilgrims but beds are still hard to find.
Yes, now I remember...Mark Lee was his avatar name. So is he the same guy as Mark Allen? I assume so. :oops:

we have talked before of people saying good bye to the forum or just leaving
Some have commented that verbalizing it was akin to seeking attention

My take is quite different

If you or I are a contributing member of the community, a caring and interest develops between us. We share here about injuries, disappointments, music, food losses of fathers and spouses and life.

If someone I had heard a lot from, were to feel they were moving on from the forum, it would be nice to know so that I didnt' have to wonder how they are doing.

Many times a third party is referred to when those in conversation on the forum know that an individual has experience or expertise or insight on a topic ( and yes the prior posts can be searched, but oft times the old timer will be able to pipe in. If we know they are gone we can refer newbies to the specific old posts instead of hoping someone might pop in )

Someone may be able to walk away, not care, and not think of us anymore but I expect we think of them still

If you or I are a contributing member of the community, a caring and interest develops between us. We share here about injuries, disappointments, music, food losses of fathers and spouses and life.

If someone I had heard a lot from, were to feel they were moving on from the forum, it would be nice to know so that I didnt' have to wonder how they are doing.

Many times a third party is referred to when those in conversation on the forum know that an individual has experience or expertise or insight on a topic ( and yes the prior posts can be searched, but oft times the old timer will be able to pipe in. If we know they are gone we can refer newbies to the specific old posts instead of hoping someone might pop in )

Someone may be able to walk away, not care, and not think of us anymore but I expect we think of them still
When a long time forum member and valuable contributor decide to go undercover and just lurking or maybe even sign off permanently it is usually very personal decision. As I know these decisions are more or less based on or because of forum rules/policies and subsequently putting them into action.

I think we shouldn't discuss in this direction any further or I will be banned again ;)

Better exchange e-mails when you still can with the members that you feel you would want to stay in contact with. Sometimes it's hard to find them on social media because of the nicknames here.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

It's the members who make grand pronouncements that they are leaving that seem like attention seekers to me. A simple message to say thanks to the forum, but that you are moving on, don't have time to read/post etc. is appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.