• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest before starting the Camino

One caution about sailing along at a good clip with poles and a pack on your back...if you trip, the pace and momentum can launch you into the Camino incredibly quickly. I came down like a tree outside of Logrono...and it happened so fast that there was no time to protect myself in any way. So I landed directly on my face. I've never felt anything like it before, but fortunately there were no rocks to land on. The resulting black eye was quite a technicolor sight for a long time afterwards, much to the sympathetic amusement of my fellow peregrinos...not your usual conversation starter, but it worked! :D
I can see how that can happen, and little, if anything, you can do about it, you were very fortunate that there were no rocks, it may well have been a different story. I'm not sure how you can prepare for something like that, especially carrying a rucksack?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wait till you are on the camino Rob !
As Albertagirl says , it are not the big ones but the loose little terrors They off course defend their territory but even then you have to take care of your calves.
We do not hurt them either but at times the poles can be handy for some threatening and different purposes:D Let me give you another example. Once we were in a Portugese hostal on a hot sweaty day. In the room fitted-with emphasis on fitted- a bed We just could lay in it...two backpacks on the ground and it was completely full. 30€ per night !:p the door of the wardrobe turned into the "room" and in one corner was a shower cabin. Where to leave the freshed washed and wet dripping cloths ? Yes.... The tip on the top of the door, the grip of the pole on top of the shower cabin and "voila ! Dry cloths next morning. On the internet the other day I saw a gadget, a device to put on the tip side of the pole. You can mount your Gopro- who nowadays is going on camino without a Gopro ? - on one of your poles and you have a selfie stick ! The world cannot exist without a selfie nowadays :)

Anyone else has an example of what you can do with pacer poles ? Looking forward. Maybe I can learn something too and... Next week they will be my mates for 3 weeks so I can try out your propositions inmediately.

Interesting post by the way @Rob C !

Buen camino
Thank you Albertinho, really interesting post, I never really give much thought about dogs on the camino until now. I was aware of dogs being territorial, but it sounds like they can be quite a threat to pilgims, so I can see how poles would make you feel more safer. I'm sure it's not about hurting them, I wasn't suggesting that, but I completely get your point about safeguarding yourself.

It's good to hear about their other uses as well, very useful for drying clothes, I'll use that if required. I don't actually have a gopro, but I can imagine many do, 'selfie' is slowly becoming an everyday word, I've noticed that. Rightly, or wrongly, I've become quite attached to my poles in the short time I have had them. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rob C, I wish you safe travels on your Camino. Start like an old man and finish like a young person. Starting slow and easy will save you from injuries early on. It is usually those who walk like they're on a race that end up looking for medical attention a few days after starting their trek due to injuries. You'll be right, mate! Don't worry.

Hi Angelo, thank you. I like that analogy, I certainly won't be racing, that's for sure :) I'm just going to take it steady and I'll get to Roncesvalles when I get to Roncesvalles, I am going to attempt not to put time frames in place, simply one step at a time and plod on...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Rob, you are the first person I read about who is starting on the 29th; the same date I'll start. :)
Last year I walked a part of the Frances and with this experiance I can tell that walking as a pelgrim is quit different as training for your camino. It will be allright. I think you've trained well. The first part is a heavy, but the second day is much more difficult, because you are still tired because of the day before. You just have to listen to the signals your body gives to you. Rest when you are tired, walk when you feel you can and enjoy it. Hope to see you!
( Sorry that my English perhaps is not that good, I'm from the Netherlands and writing English is not what I do all day...)

Hi Greetje,

Zo leuk om een Nederlandse te treffen, die ook de 29e start, op dit forum! Zal in mijn gebrekkig Engels doorgaan :)! I stay at Beilari's the 28th and start the 29th walking. It's my first Camino. I will take it slow. Perhaps we will meet, that would be nice!

Buen Camino!

Marleen

Hello Greetje, that's great! I have looked for other's starting on this date and your the first I have come across, I suppose that's good news from an alburge point of view :) I'm really pleased that you said it's quite a different experience from training because more often than not, I get the same scenery walking back, so I am looking forward to setting off without having to return to the place where I started. Thank you for your comment on my training, means a lot to hear that. I did wonder what it would be like to walk a few days in a row, so Easter weekend I did three days, and although it was nothing like the terrain you find on the Camino, I did find it a challenge so I'm sure I will feel a rawness on the second day. I agree, I think there's a nasty tag to pick up if you ignore what your body is trying to tell you, and it's okay to rest as often as necessary, it may well appear to some as a sign of weakness? but to me ...it's wisdom. haha. Your English is fine and your spelling is equally as good as mine, trust me. I hope to see you too, you'll recognise me with a red sunglasses band which say's WALES in white on it, can't imagine there being too many of them around :cool: Buen Camino

Hi Rob!

And another one starting that date! I think you have trained more than I did! The first week of my Camino will be part of the training :), I've got the time not to rush! I'm staying in Beilari, you? Perhaps we will meet in Saint Sean! Buen Camino!

Marleen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Rob!

And another one starting that date! I think you have trained more than I did! The first week of my Camino will be part of the training :), I've got the time not to rush! I'm staying in Beilari, you? Perhaps we will meet in Saint Sean! Buen Camino!

Marleen
Hey Marleen, that's fabulous! I think I have come to the conclusion that training is all well and good but not as essential as I thought initially, in hindsight, I probably would have got away with half of what I did and followed what you are doing and use the first week as training because I never intended to rush it either, you'll be just fine. I haven't booked in anywhere yet, if there's a space in Beilari I would prefer to stay there, heard some really good reports about it, maybe I'll check it out first as I should be in St Jean by noon, might be lucky? failing that, I'll wait to see what the pilgrims office has to offer? I think there's a good chance of us bumping into each other in St Jean :) Beun Camino

Hi Marleen, I just tried to make a reservation at the Beilari on 28th and their full :( however, their website did say that they do keep a few places vacant for drop-in's, so fingers crossed, I really should get more manageable o_O

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Rob, one of my goals is to get less manageable :D:D:D! Hope you will be one of the 'drop in's'! See you soon!
Haha, good luck with that, I gladly do a swap with you. I get there for when it opens, that way I may be in with a chance? See you in a couple of days.

Hi Greetje,

Zo leuk om een Nederlandse te treffen, die ook de 29e start, op dit forum! Zal in mijn gebrekkig Engels doorgaan :)! I stay at Beilari's the 28th and start the 29th walking. It's my first Camino. I will take it slow. Perhaps we will meet, that would be nice!

Buen Camino!

Marleen
Hi Marleen from Harderwijk, i' m from Ermelo! We'll meet at Brillari's, the day after tomorrow.
It's getting pretty exiteing, isn't it?
How do you travel to SJPP?
I fly tuesday from Bruxelles.
Today is the day of the big goodbyes...
A last walk aroud the neighbourhood with man and dog, a last teaparty with all the children, a last et cetera and tomorrow I go to Belgium. Pfff
Jij een fijnne zondag. Heel leuk om je gauw te ontmoeten! Buen Camino.
Hi Greetje,

Buen Camino!

Marleen

Off the subject of poles and back onto the original topic, I'm finding myself having an enforced rest only one week out from my Camino. Can't believe it, but I have blisters before I've even started! Weather here has turned cold, and yesterday I dragged out a pair of winter fashion shoes I haven't worn for a while, put them on and went to do some pre-Camino shopping. I noticed a bit of soreness but got caught up in the chase. Sure enough, on getting home and taking off my shoes, two nasty little broken blisters on the tops of my toes.

From now on I'm wearing my Camino shoes and sandals and blow the need to look good!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Marleen from Harderwijk, i' m from Ermelo! We'll meet at Brillari's, the day after tomorrow.
It's getting pretty exiteing, isn't it?
How do you travel to SJPP?
I fly tuesday from Bruxelles.
Today is the day of the big goodbyes...
A last walk aroud the neighbourhood with man and dog, a last teaparty with all the children, a last et cetera and tomorrow I go to Belgium. Pfff
Jij een fijnne zondag. Heel leuk om je gauw te ontmoeten! Buen Camino.

Hoi Greetje!

Ermelo, funny, it's a small world :) ! I'll take te train tomorrow to Bayonne and the next day to SJ. Have a good journey and see you soon!

Marleen

Hoi Greetje!

Ermelo, funny, it's a small world :) ! I'll take te train tomorrow to Bayonne and the next day to SJ. Have a good journey and see you soon!

Marleen

Have a good trip, Marleen,
and a Pleasant Kingsday!
See you, Greetje.

Hi all. I'm leaving on 26th April 2015 to start my first Comino on 29th, I have heard that it's quite important to rest before you start, can anyone please tell me what is the suggested rest period? or do I need to train right up until the time I leave? I have been in training now since 12th March 2015, with little to no training prior to that, my training is as follows with 8kg backpack and boots: 12th Mar 21.14km = 13m, 14th Mar 21.62km = 13m, 15th Mar 19.05km = 11m, 18th Mar 18.24km = 11m, 20th Mar 20.88km = 12m, 22nd Mar 18.88km = 11m, 25th Mar 35.37km = 21m, 04th Apr 20.13km = 12m, 05th Apr 23.06km = 14m, 06th Apr 20.36km = 12m, 08th Apr 14.25km = 8m, 09th Apr 21.06km = 13m, 13th Apr 24.06km = 15m, 15th Apr 31.82km = 19m, 18th Apr 18.87km = 11m, 20th Apr 20.47km = 12m. 70% of this has been over fairly flat terrain with a few ascents thrown in, I know it's a bit late to change anything now, but is this sufficient training to walk the Comino? Many thanks

The day has finally arrived, with just a few hours before I set off, I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my post and for giving me hope, encouragement and determination. This is the first blog I have ever done, it may show in places o_O but it's been a great experience, I wish I had found this site much earlier than I did, because for those of who has completed the camino, to share their experiences with newbie's is priceless, a big THANK YOU to you all. Also to learn a little about those doing the camino for the first time or travelling around the same time and sharing their thoughts and feelings has been great. I suppose I will get my first feeling of a pilgrim this evening when I try and get my head down in one of the lounges at Gatwick airport, early flight to Bordeaux. Buen Camino to all those pilgrims, presently on the camino, or who will be shortly. God bless. Signing off...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The day has finally arrived, with just a few hours before I set off, I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my post and for giving me hope, encouragement and determination. This is the first blog I have ever done, it may show in places o_O but it's been a great experience, I wish I had found this site much earlier than I did, because for those of who has completed the camino, to share their experiences with newbie's is priceless, a big THANK YOU to you all. Also to learn a little about those doing the camino for the first time or travelling around the same time and sharing their thoughts and feelings has been great. I suppose I will get my first feeling of a pilgrim this evening when I try and get my head down in one of the lounges at Gatwick airport, early flight to Bordeaux. Buen Camino to all those pilgrims, presently on the camino, or who will be shortly. God bless. Signing off...
Buen Camino, Rob!

Enjoy Rob. Don't forget your poles and use them under any circomstances :)

Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you Doug for pointing that out to me, I must admit, I thought the 'a' in Camino meant 'chill out', if I had noticed my mistake, I would have corrected it immediately, I don't want to appear a fool. Forgive me, this is the first blog I have ever done and I'm not going to get it right, I'm chuffed I've got this far, but regardless of this, is that a reason to ridicule me in front of others, I think not.
Hi Rob ... reading through this forum, I believe that a large percentage of first timers have fears, doubts etc - I was exactly the same, had panic attacks about not finding shoes that felt right, a pack weight of 5.8kg that felt like 30kg, my body not doing what I wanted it to etc and it was the fabulous feedback from members on this forum that made me realise that we are all 'stronger' (in mind and body) than we think. Thank you for saying you respect my courage and endurance ... but my having done this is no feat compared to some of the people I met on my walk - a man in a wheelchair doing the Camino completely on his own, Patty (73) Sharon (74) who I walked with for a few days, Sharon with severe tendinitis and still got up each day and slowly walked tiny distances, the man with terminal cancer, the 78 year old lady who had walked all the was from Paris, the young man with a physical disability in his legs - now these people, have courage and endurance :) ...and yes, I'm more than happy for you to keep a copy of my note if it gives you some inspiration - and again Buen Camino
Reading your post Carla is certainly encouraging for me! and post from Rob and others as well. My friend and I are starting our first Camino (part of it that is) on the 11 May (arriving Madrid and onwards to Leon). We're in our 60's, we both have health issues which can be at times pretty serious) BUT we are going to walk and enjoy no matter what; perhaps short distances but we are determined. Its hard to believe that people walk the Camino who are much worse off (health-wise) than ourselves - I'm amazed at people's determination and how positive they are no matter what. Carla, we might have the pleasure of meeting up (I'm originally from SA living in the UK now). My major concern is my feet suffering with post Morton's Neuroma which at the moment is giving me some major problems - but I'm 'rising' above it and pushing on regardless......

Wether you trained enough or not... who cares.
There is only one thing you can do when you get kicked out of the refugio in the morning.
Excactly, the only thing to do is walk untill the next refugio opens somewhere in the afternoon... :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OMG I haven't done any training walks, I play Gaelic football train twice a week so would consider myself fit but I haven't done training walks, hope to get a few in before I go in 5 weeks but I definitely do t have time on my side with work and other commitments to get long walks in, I hope I'll be okay with just a good general level of fitness, I plan to do St Jean Pied de Port to Estella in five days. I did Sarria to Santiago last year in 5 days with just general fitness also so I hope I'll be good this time too. You sound like you will be flying it on the camino, that is a lot of training. Fair play and Buen Camino

Cailin, no worries you should be fine. I'm 60 this year and couldn't play Gaelic football if you paid me...and went from SJPP to Estella in 5 days last month. It was totally fine. I had no way of training beforehand (long story) so i used the first week for that. The 3rd day was awful, but it got easier after that. Take it easy the 1st few days and take care of your feet...and buen Camino!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D...........
I'm laughing so much because there are those on this forum that apparently get way too worked up over spelling and grammatical errors on posts. I can't say I even notice it or honestly could care less about it. Life's too short you know....
Now I'm going to say it southern style. ;)

y'all needs to relax with all that readin writin and rithmatic stuff on this here forum cuz people jus tryin to ask questions and such about how to do that there walkin in the country y'all callin the camino....

cheers
Now THAT I understood!
Lmao in Texas

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.