• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest Day After Leon?

QuailHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
If you were to pick one town after Leon to take a rest/off day, which would it be, and why? Thanks.

Fred

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Astorga has a lovely Town square, Gaudi architecture and Cocido maragato for lunch, oh and a chocolate museum.

But I have fall en In love with The village of Rabanal del Camino: Beautiful stone houses, a lovely chapel for evening mass.

But rather thank taking a dull day off I prefer shorter days here and there.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I hesitate to give you an answer because once your boots are on the ground & moving your perspective changes. I would recommend you read as much history of the Templars, the Cathedrals in Pamplona, Burgose, Leon, & Santiago. Along with the city defenses of these places. There is so much history recorded of this Camino (road) Even the ruins of the Hopitals along with the knowledge you are walking where old souls traveled simply will change how you move along.
I will simply stop now, as many others will give you an answer:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Be sure to stop for a while east of Astorga at the special place known as the Casa de los Dioses on the alternative path after Villares de Orbigo but before Santibañez de Valdeiglesias just before the Cross of Santo Toribio. It is run by David Vidal who takes GREAT care to help passing pilgrims.

You can rest in the huge barn or simply enjoy his wonderful donativo goody shelf; I always stop. Once during a heavy rain although David was absent the thermos of coffee was hot and his cookies most delicious! His multilingual note read 'Welcome!'. After sitting sheltered, having a coffee and eating a cookie or two I left a donation and a brief note of thanks. Despite the cold rain this was a MOST welcome stop and a perfect example of yet another of the varied and generous caring alternatives available along the camino.... To each his own.

To read more in English about this special man and his special place see this Swedish pilgrim's blog. >> http://www.fyrfalk.se/caminoblogg/?page_id=2150

Villafranca del Bierzo. Nice town with interesting surroundings and with a good location for a rest day because next day you could go all the way up till O Cebreiro... perfectly rested.

Nothing wrong with Astorga either (as a town) but I think its location isn't so good for a rest day because it's at the end of the meseta and you would need to make the climbs to both Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiro without a rest day in between. If you are going to take a rest day, I think it's better to make it somewhere between those climbs what would rule out Astorga (but take some time to visit Astorga even if you don't make a rest day there). If you plan to start in León, another downside to Astorga is that it's too close to León.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm facing the same dilemma and suspect I will let the weather and my body decide and probably go with the half day off approach.

Perhaps the lack of good suggestions means there's no place that stands out? Resting for a day in Astorga just two days after a rest day in Leon kinda misses the point. Viewed from a purely physical point of view, one can stop for a day anywhere just to gather one's resources either before or after the most strenuous days.

Any thoughts about Samos? or Ponferrada?

Last edited:
One place I very much liked was Villafranca del Bierzo

Me too! If in Villafranca del Bierzo you wish a bit of private comfort and/or a very good reasonably priced meal with delicious local wine do stop at the Hostal de la Puerta del Perdon. Located on the CF opposite the castle it is a very comfortable stop especially on a cold early winter night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If the same people are in the albergue in Villafranca del Bierzo that were there in 2006, the hospitalero is a healer, people limp in and skip out, and there was a wonderful guy there who had just arrived and stayed on as a cook and assistant who showed us such kindness, in bitter weather in the middle of winter, and cooks up a storm for all and sundry each night. An absolute feel-good place.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.