• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest Day between Leon and Sarria

rachellanderson2

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Can anyone recommend a nice spot for a rest day somewhere between Leon and Sarria? I’m hoping for something more calm and less hectic than the bigger cities

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Villafranca del Bierzo. Go to “Mi Tienda”, Calle Jesus Adran. Tell them you’re a friend of the Tinker. Second thoughts don’t say that. I can’t remember the exact status of my last bar bill. Nevertheless it ranks among the sweetest bars on the entire Camino Frances and will fully justify a full day of relaxation and recuperation. The nearby Meson Ancares should take care of any protein requirements. Ask for a table away from the fire

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are looking for a nice and quiet place, try Casa Simon in Triacastela (15 km before Sarria).

Or even quieter, the beautiful Albergue Casa Flor in Murias de Rechivaldo (5 km after Astorga, call Miriam, the lively and lovely Italian chica who runs it (and speaks English).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We took a wonderful one day break at Astorga. I wanted to stop at Molinaseca but walked on to Ponferrada. Molinaseca looked so peaceful--it was an oasis after coming down the hill.. . but we walked on to Ponferrada were we stayed the morning to tour the castle.

Last edited:
Yes I rate Samos as one of the nicest walks through countryside, a bit like the land time forgot, then there is the impressive monastery, and the walk the next day into Sarria is nice as well.
Molineseca is a nice town, pretty with a beautiful river pool, by the time you've made it down that hill, its a great place to stop.
And there is the templar castle at Ponferrada if you like exploring.
And in Villa Franca, the river is a pretty place as well.
Astorga is nice, but only 2 days away from Leon, and you can explore a lot of it in an evening.
Or if you have a day up your sleeve, wait until Sarria, then take a taxi to Lugo and back, and explore the old town and walk around the top of the city walls.

For me, It depends, I think, upon how far you can walk before you need a rest day, whether it is peak season(s) [reservations] and season/weather (Heat, snow).

Astorga is one of the larger municipalities. It has good food options and some lovely buildings to explore. But it is only circa 55km from Leon. Leon to Santiago is 300 km+

If you want a very small quaint town, with a terrific albergue and gorgeous mountain views then stop in St. Miguel El Acebo at Albergue La Casa Del Peregrino. Great patio, swimming pool, accommodations, bar and decent food.
It is about 90 km out of Leon. It is a great place to break from the constant down hill on the way to Molineseca, if you need it.

Ponferrada is a small city with a couple of nice restaurants right in the old town. The last 7km-9km from Molineseca to Ponferrada and then most of the way to Las Herrerias you will be walking cement or pavement. Sometimes your feet need to rest here.

Las Herrerias is very tiny town before we go up to OCebriero. We sometimes take a rest day here. It is actually circa 50km from Sarria and distance wise about half way to SdC. If you are fatigued, before walking up the mountain, it is quiet, tiny, pastoral, and has some good accommodations . Casa Lixa is my first choice. Both dorm and private rooms. You can also ride up by horse (group tour up to OCebriero) from Las Herrerias if you don’t want to rest but need a legal lift up the mountain.

Another option is to shorten a couple of days instead of trying to do whatever your normal length days are? So for example, we are usually tired by the time we get to Sarria. We stay overnight in Sarria and shop for supplies for breakfast and snacks when we first arrive. Then we eat a good meal. The next morning we only walk 6km to Casa Barbadelo. Since we booked a private room, we can leave later. We exit at 10am go to a cafe for a nice pastry and coffee, and then maybe stop in a pharmacy or other store or buy fresh supplies picnic and then walk to Casa Barbadelo (reserve ahead). Then the next day our walk is shorter to Portomarin 17km) followed by a 24km to Palas de Rei.

Once you hit Sarria be sure to reserve ahead!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Villafranca del Bierzo. Go to “Mi Tienda”, Calle Jesus Adran. Tell them you’re a friend of the Tinker. Second thoughts don’t say that. I can’t remember the exact status of my last bar bill. Nevertheless it ranks among the sweetest bars on the entire Camino Frances and will fully justify a full day of relaxation and recuperation. The nearby Meson Ancares should take care of any protein requirements. Ask for a table away from the fire
I have not been to the bar, but I second, Tinca’s recommendation for

Mesón Los Ancares

We took a wonderful one day break at Astorga. I wanted to stop at Molinaseca but walked on to Ponferrada. Molinaseca looked so peaceful--it was an oasis after coming down the hill.. . but we walked on to Ponferrada were we stayed the morning to tour the castle.
Hi @kelleymac . What did you do with your backpack while touring the castle?

Las Herrerias is very tiny town before we go up to OCebriero.
My country is full of cattle and sheep. And usually on the outskirts of our towns cities.

When I walked from Le Puy-en-Velay to Santiago de Compostela I often felt something missing as I passed farmland.

It wasn't until Las Herrerias that I felt at home, even if only for 30 minutes or so as I passed by.

If at first I couldn't see them, I could hear them: both rams and bulls had bells around their necks.

The next morning, as I pulled away from La Faba, I could see a lot of grazing on the opposite hills.

Thank you for the memory jogger

For peak quiet, the newer private Albergue going in to San Martín del Camino - - but better perhaps would be a couple of nights at the El Encina Albergue in Hospital de Órbigo.

Both are bar-restaurant-Albergues.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back