• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest day between Leon and SdC

wez

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I am planning my first Camino, starting from Leon in mid September. I expect to be walking for 13/14 days although this will depend on how I am feeling. I would like to have a 'rest day' between days 6 and 9 and would appreciate any recommendations of suitable albergues/locations between my start and end points. Many thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, @wez,

Welcome to the forum! It’s so great to see an uptick (at least I think I see one) in new members planning their first camino. You are so lucky to have the privilege of walking your FIRST camino!

I usually try to answer the question asked and not give unsolicited advice, but here I will break that rule to say — leave it open with no decision yet. Over the years, I’ve seen many forum members who had planned rest days only to find that they couldn’t bring themselves to stop walking, or who didn’t want to leave their “camino family,” or who decided to spend a morning in a place and then walk on in the afternoon. Of course there are lots of forum members who plan and take and love their rest days. But at this point you just have no way of knowing which category you will fall into.

But assuming you do take a rest day, the place you stop will depend on what you want the rest day for. Do you want it to be able to experience a special place you would otherwise just walk through? If so, Astorga (though only two days out of León), Ponferrda, and Villafranca del Bierzo jump out at me. Or do you want it because you think you are actually going to rest? If so, placing it somewhere in the middle makes a lot of sense. That would mean Triacastela, maybe Samos, maybe O Cebreiro or places in between.

Long way of saying that, as a planner myself, I love to think about all of these options. I like to have them on my radar screen, but then when I’m walking I adapt my actual plan to fit the way I’m feeling. And you just won’t know that till you get on the Camino. Enjoy every step, buen camino, Laurie

I agree with @peregrina2000, but if you really feel you must plan the itinerary, think about having several shorter days instead of a full day and second night in one place. That would give you the chance to have a leisurely few hours in Astorga (see the Gaudi museum, or the chocolate museum), half a day in Ponferrada (castle), take the route through Samos, look around Portomarin, stop for pulpo in Melide, etc., etc.

A similar discussion has taken place on this recent thread.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I asked roughly about the same questions Astorga & Ponferrada were offered as suggestions - each for its own 'good' reason
I agree with @peregrina2000 though that it very well may be something that you might just have to "wing it"
Welcome to the Forum and Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Depending on your budget, their is a spa in Astorga and the restaurant options there are very good

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first camino I planned several ‘rest’ days in cities that I wanted to check out. I didn’t really rest, I couldn’t resist the urge to check out the sites and go into tourist mode and I was even more tired at the end of the day. For me that didn’t really feel right, I didn’t like the blurred lines of tourist and pilgrim. So on my next camino, rather than have rest days I had a few super short days. That worked well for me, I felt I was still moving but able to relax and enjoy the day. My shortest day was only 4km and it was lovely!

Welcome to the Camino and the Forum.I couldn’t agree more with Peregrina2020. For what it’s worth I am walking the Camino Frances, had great rest days in Burgos and Leon. Tonight I am enjoying a relaxing stay in El Acebo. With the current heatwave it’s working better to have shorter days. Hopefully, in September the weather will not directly affect your Camino so much. Between Leon and Santiago I plan half days in the main Pilgrim Places. I wish you an amazing and rewarding journey. I feel very privileged and fortunate to be on Camino at this particular moment in time. It’s absolutely fantastic

Many thanks for your very helpful and thought provoking replies. I am in a fortunate position in that I have the possibility of extending my camino by a few days if I need/want to. I hadn't really considered the option of short walking days previously, but I can see the benefit and this is what I may well end up doing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm also in the short walking days rather than full "rest days" camp. They work especially well if you book a private room for the night between two short walking days. That way you can arrive early to your destination and check into your room if it's ready, or leave your backpack at reception if it's not. Then you can go out and explore the city or town without lugging around your backpack. The next morning you can sleep in, then have a leisurely breakfast before starting out for your second short day of walking.

All good advice. Unknowns…how your body will react, distances you feel comfortable with, accommodations available when you are walking-and types of places you might have tolerance for given Covid 19, weather you are walking in, and predicted forecasts. Do check on booking.com for a sense of awareness of available inventory of accommodations in the areas you may be contemplating stops in. Buen Camino!

I'm also in the short walking days rather than full "rest days" camp. They work especially well if you book a private room for the night between two short walking days. That way you can arrive early to your destination and check into your room if it's ready, or leave your backpack at reception if it's not. Then you can go out and explore the city or town without lugging around your backpack. The next morning you can sleep in, then have a leisurely breakfast before starting out for your second short day of walking.

My recipe as well. A final benefit is that on the night before a short day, I can stay up later than usual, and have dinner in a real restaurant, and take a break from the early and somewhat monotonous pilgrim's meals.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All good advice. However, from what I’m reading we should not plan on winging it as in past years. The accommodations shortage is making planning more necessary it seems. I would keep reading the forum for updates from pilgrims walking to see how our fall Camino’s are effected.

Hi, I am planning my first Camino, starting from Leon in mid September. I expect to be walking for 13/14 days although this will depend on how I am feeling. I would like to have a 'rest day' between days 6 and 9 and would appreciate any recommendations of suitable albergues/locations between my start and end points. Many thanks.
I loved Astorga and the municipal albergue is good, especially its terrace if sunny. The cathedral, archbishop's palace are worth a look. There's a medical centre there too.
It's only a day or so out of Leon so you might want to go further first.
PS I took a bus to the outskirts of Leon and chose the more rural route. It isnt particularly attractive but prob better than following the main road

Sarria is a good option.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
i pretty much rushed the first 100km in 4 days and my hips are hurting now. so i decided to stop in Poferrada for two days and took a cheap hotel. i don't think Albergues are suited for longer stays with one exception so far: Albergue la Casa de Peregrino in el Acebo de San Miguel. that one is really worth the stay, is cheap and has very good food and even a pool!

i pretty much rushed the first 100km in 4 days and my hips are hurting now. so i decided to stop in Poferrada for two days and took a cheap hotel. i don't think Albergues are suited for longer stays with one exception so far: Albergue la Casa de Peregrino in el Acebo de San Miguel. that one is really worth the stay, is cheap and has very good food and even a pool!
Agreed, I stayed there last night, The pool is a dream during the heatwave and the place is, arguably, one if not the best Stops on the Camino. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.