• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest day - Lectoure or Auvillar?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I have just roughed out the stages I plan to walk from Conques to SJPDP, starting in mid-July. It could take me 20 - 22 days based on my preliminary planning, so I am considering a rest day in either Lectoure or Auvillar.

Does anyone have any comments on either place for a rest day?

BTW, if anyone is interested I could post my list of stages/distances in this thread.

I can't wait to get on the road again :D In many ways, the rest of the year is just a time to get through until I can go on another pilgrimage walk. Well, that's a slight exaggeration, but I am sure many other pilgrims understand.

Best wishes to all.

Bob M

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Auvillar was a nice town. We spent the night there in a restored windmill tower.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
newfydog said:
Auvillar was a nice town. We spent the night there in a restored windmill tower.

The windmill tower sounds interesting. Do you recall the name?

Thx

Bob M

Roy_Smyth said:
Yes, please post your planned stages.

Thanks

The word file is attached. Let me know if it does not open OK and I will put the content in a reply here.

BTW, the first list is just based on studying the MMD maps, with no knowledge of ascents/descents that significantly affect walk times. The idea was to get a feel for whether 20 days was practicable for me. The chosen stops are simply based on distance/sleeping, not on any other factor.

The second list was abstracted from a tourist website (referenced in the attachment). That website gives walk times for stages, which is interesting, although it is not clear what those times allow re breaks etc. The distances are also slightly different to MMD. This list might be more useful in that it is presumably based on real experience. The stops seem to be based on the more significant towns.

Anyway, I hope the information is useful.

Bob M

Attachments

• My list of stages Conques to SJPDP.doc
    90.5 KB · Views: 149
Auvillar was beautiful and the gite communal is absolutely out of this world, like a first class hotel, beautifully restored. Auvillar has one pilgrim friendly restaurant, turn L after you go through the clocktower gate after the market area, direction Santiago. The other restaurants there are rather snooty I found. There is a nuclear power station nearby and I suspect a lot of money has been poured into Auvillar to compensate for the thing. Lectoure was more of a nothing place in my opinion. One of my favourite places was Limogne en Quercy, Gite Les Gloriettes. The little town was just like out of a French language teaching book from the 70's. Unassuming and very typical and just full of ordinary french life. Unpretentious with it. Regards, Gitti

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
gittiharre said:
Auvillar was beautiful and the gite communal is absolutely out of this world, like a first class hotel, beautifully restored. Auvillar has one pilgrim friendly restaurant ..... One of my favourite places was Limogne en Quercy, Gite Les Gloriettes.

Thx, Gitti. Excuse my brutal edit of your post.

Auvillar will probably be my rest day, despite the nuclear power plant. I will keep an eye out for Montgomery Burns and the glowing three-eyed fish (that will only make sense to Simpsons viewers).

Limogne sounds just like the places I like :D

I am much obliged to you.

Bob M

Thanks Bob all info going into my file!
Nell

Hi Bob,
Your stages look pretty good to me. You might find though that some new places have opened up in rural places along the way that might tempt you away from your plans!

There can be a bit of a bottleneck out of Cahors, which is a common starting point, and getting a booking in Lascabanes can be tricky as a result. (I couldn't get a bed there.) An alternative might be to explore Cahors a bit in the morning, then only walk as far as Domaine des Mathieux the first day, with a longer day to Montcuq the second day.

Lectoure I enjoyed. I was staying in a very pleasant place run by a lovely young woman who was a former pilgrim herself- but I can't find the place on the internet so maybe it isn't open anymore. There was a (thermal I think) pool just over the road, but unfortunately I didn't have swimming togs! My Quebec friends had a wonderful evening in the parish-run gite in Lectoure, with great conversation over an evening meal shared with the priest and parishioners.

Nogoro was the most forgettable place on the whole French Chemin imo!! If you can get a booking -(I couldn't) - at L'Arbladoise, not too many kms past Nogoro, it is supposed to be very good.

As far as the Tourist Office list goes, avoid Decazeville if you can. The MMD shows an alternative route that bypasses the town at a higher level. It is a very steep descent into Decazeville and an equally steep ascent out of it, and it doesn't seem to be a very interesting town to compensate. I missed this alternative route, as it was pouring with rain and I never read my maps properly. (Long story- very bad day!)
The TO suggestion of La Romieu is a good one though imo- a detour well worth taking, even if you don't stay the night there. Interesting and attractive village.
Hope that doesn't just add to the confusion. It will of course all work out whatever you do!
Margaret

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The gite in Auvillar may be the best on the route! Lectoure is a more interesting city. Miradoux has one of the most interesting hostess, and the nearby Lachapelle has the most interesting chapel. Just before Condom, the gite in Castenau sur L'Auvignon has the best shower. Condom has the best selection of armagnac going back to the turn of the century.

BobM said:
The windmill tower sounds interesting. Do you recall the name?

Thx

Bob M

The windmill was a chambre d'hote when we stayed there and it was for sale at the time. I sent a friend there the next year and it had been sold, and the new owners were not renting the place. Sorry, I wasn't too helpful, just reminiscing. Nice town though, great market place etc.

There is the Moulin de Jacky in Vaylats, if you want to stay in a converted windmill.

Gîte "Le Moulin de Jacky" - Bach
Tél : 06.32.40.48.39
4 places
1/2 Pension
Ouvert d'Avril à Octobre

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So many excellent suggestions :D Excuse me if I don't thank you individually for your help.

I like the idea of bypassing Decazeville. I was driven through it interminably from gite to gite last year on my Factage transfer from Conques to Figeac and it struck me then as eminently "avoidable."

Even Figeac did not appeal all that much and I may try to stay somewhere else this year. Of course, my opinion is coloured by the fact that Figeac was the end of the chemin for me last year. Other people I had met and liked were moving on, while I was taking the train back to Paris. :(

Bob M

Hi, I did not like Figeac much either, there is a really nice gite about 4 km or so out of town towards St Jean and 7 km furhter is a beautiful tranquil hill village, tuscan inspired, with a fabulous little place on the way in, a converted round tower with 2 beds, in a lovely garden, forgot the name, it was my treat, a bit pricey, but worth it. You will find it in the Miam..
Lamothe was a great place to stay. It is a new pristine small albergue 2 days after Condom I think. Run by Fritz, a german man, 20 Euros for deluxe bunks, hot shower, washing machine, internet, dinner, breakfast and welcome drinks. It is fantastic value for money.
Regards, Gitti

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back