• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest day: Leon or Astorga

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
I have heard Astorga is a good sport for a rest day but also like the idea of exploring Astorga. Will be close to both around Three Kings Day if that makes a difference. Where would you stay for a rest day?

So far we are planning a rest day in Burgos and Leon/Astorga. Do you think that is enough. We are not young! Also, walking in winter - not sure if that will make a difference either???

thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Leon is an absolutely marvelous place to walk about, plenty to see and do, explore and enjoy. Planning a rest day in Leon probably means that you will walk almost as many hours as on the Camino - enjoying every minute but not really a rest day. Astorga is sweet and tiny, only two maybe three things you want to see, the "Las Termas" restaurant is a great place to eat "cocido maragato" then spend the rest of the day trying to recover from your feast. 54157

Leon is an absolutely marvelous place to walk about, plenty to see and do, explore and enjoy. Planning a rest day in Leon probably means that you will walk almost as many hours as on the Camino - enjoying every minute but not really a rest day. Astorga is sweet and tiny, only two maybe three things you want to see, the "Las Termas" restaurant is a great place to eat "cocido maragato" then spend the rest of the day trying to recover from your feast. View attachment 54157
That's their small portion I'm guessing?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have heard Astorga is a good sport for a rest day but also like the idea of exploring Astorga. Will be close to both around Three Kings Day if that makes a difference. Where would you stay for a rest day?

So far we are planning a rest day in Burgos and Leon/Astorga. Do you think that is enough. We are not young! Also, walking in winter - not sure if that will make a difference either???

thanks
I think it depends on whether you want a rest day or just a break from walking.
Both cities have their pros and cons: Leon is big with a lot of traffic and fumes but has the advantage of multiple shops, restaurants and, of course, a stunning cathedral. As Scruffy says - not much chance for a rest. There are about ten times as many people living in Leon as there are in Astorga.

Astorga is more easy going but with less to see. In 4 visits I've never been able to get into the Bishops' Palace - it's either been about to close or was already closed.

Astorga is more exposed to the climate - you can dodge the winds in Leon not so much in Astorga.
Astorga has chocolate.

My vote would be Astorga and to stay in Gaspar's Hotel Gaudi.

Edit: Forgot to address the "walking in winter" - on a summer's day you can sit out in the plazas and enjoy a drink or an ice cream not so much in winter. For both cities you're up around 850m+ your rest day might involve huddling around a cup of hot chocolate. Winter walking IMO is more tiring but that makes reaching your evening stop all the more enjoyable.

Buen Camino!

I would punt for Leon, it has better accommodation options for a two night stay than Astorga and imho has better historical sites. If you are a choc-holic then Astorga does have some appeal but if you are there on a week day (or Saturday) the Choc Museum should be open. Cheers

If you are not on a tight schedule, I would give yourself plenty of time and perhaps have a rest day in both. They both have lots to see. In either case, even if you are not staying the extra day in Leon, absolutely do not miss the stunning cathedral!

You may find that your decision is influenced by how your body is feeling. On my second Camino my son wanted to push through and not spend an extra day in Leon. By the time we got to Astorga his feet were shot and the rest day was a medical necessity. Weather may also influence your decision. And you may find that you want to stay with fellow pilgrims you've met and where they take or don't take rest days will influence your decision.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I took a rest day in Burgos on a Sunday and most things were closed except for the Cathedral. I booked a room and basically either walked around town or sat in my room. So when I found myself in Leon on a Sunday, too, I decided to spend one night, tour the cathedral in the morning, and begin walking on to my next stop just before noon. I took my rest day in Astorga in the middle of the week. The cathedral there has an amazing art collection. I spent way more time in the Astorga Cathedral than I did at the cathedral in Leon and even more than I did at the cathedral in Burgos. The people of Astorga were so hospitable and the food was delicious. There is a market day that is fun and energetic (on Tuesdays, I believe). I'm sure Leon is a great stop with much to see, but I didn't want to waste a day just sitting around while there was nothing open to see. On my next trip, I will definitely be resting in Astorga again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back