• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest Day

Den from Down Under

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Santiago
Hi
My intention is to walk solo from Le Puy to Conques, about 210km in 10 days, however as I am then moving on to bike ride for a week in Netherlands, then swim around an island in Croatia, I think it would be kind to myself to have a rest day on the trek between Le Puy and Conques.
Any suggestions as to the "best" town/village to do so. Sensibly about midway along this route.
Novice Camino walker.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you plot your walk using http://www.godesalco.com/plan/podense you can see the rest opportunities. Aumont-Aubrac is a nice town for wandering, particularly if it is market day. It is large enough to merit an open train station! Find aligot for the regional food opportunity. All the larger towns are nearer the end of your planned trip. Bon chemin.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would suggest Estaing (the photo attached is from my trip!), it's not where most people chose to spend an extra day, but it's incredibly beautiful and there are some interesting castles/museums/restaurants, etc. Of course, staying an extra day in Conques at the end of your trip would be great too.

If you're looking for some particularly excellent hosts, I make some personal suggestions on my Le Puy website :)

Bon marche!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 12.39.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 12.39.18 PM.png
    438.9 KB · Views: 9
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi
My intention is to walk solo from Le Puy to Conques, about 210km in 10 days, however as I am then moving on to bike ride for a week in Netherlands, then swim around an island in Croatia, I think it would be kind to myself to have a rest day on the trek between Le Puy and Conques.
Any suggestions as to the "best" town/village to do so. Sensibly about midway along this route.
Novice Camino walker.

Stay in both Espalion and Estaing , both beautiful , two hour apart.
Time when market is on.

must concur with ChloeRose and pal Thornley ... Estaing would be a wonderful spot for a genuine rest day ... stunning town and not so over-run with tourists at that time ... Conques also very worthy, so if you end up with a day OR half-day up ur sleeve at the end of your trek, in Conques, I would have no hesitation ... Conques is worth much more than a few short hours of exploration, to go beyond the town walls and also to attend the evening [pilgrim] mass at the cathedral ... might see you on the path ... I will be there late August/early September with a small group from my local U3A ... in the meantime, bon chemin et bon continuation ...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back