• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest days on the Camino Frances?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my first Camino, I planned a rest day every week, as my training suggested that my body would need that. After getting out on Camino and actually taking my first rest day, it felt very weird NOT to spend the day walking. I've never taken one since. What many veterans do is take "Short" days of 10 Km or so. I usually plan these coming out of a larger town, allowing for a later night out at a real restaurant, and a leisurely multi coffee start to the day. For me, 10 or so IS a rest day, but lets me stay mentally in the Camino zone. Any type of injury will, of course, torpedo your planning. If you are hurt, hole up and recover.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you everyone for the answers , I only asked as I be starting out next Saturday it did come to my attention when I was asking myself many questions , which is not a bad idea ... as for myself taking a rest day it will be either weekly or break a day's walk into two so it's less milage to cover .

Thank you everyone for the answers , I only asked as I be starting out next Saturday it did come to my attention when I was asking myself many questions , which is not a bad idea ... as for myself taking a rest day it will be either weekly or break a day's walk into two so it's less milage to cover .
Just wait and let your body tell you what it needs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm planning on taking days off in Burgos and Leon just to 'play tourist'
For the same reason I will also take 'day 3' later on but am still wavering between Astorga and/or Ponderrada.
That said, the much spoke of and suggested shorter days are not completely out of question either.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see

We are talking about different things - a "rest" day is one thing, but a day not walking the Camino (but walking many km to sightsee) is another!

Either way, it is a good idea to build a few flex days into your schedule, especially if you do not really know how your body will respond to a long distance walk! Maybe 1 day per week. I usually "plan" extra days for the major cities, but if I find I am getting weary, I will do some shorter days between smaller towns.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One question I have for those who have done the Camino Frances ...have you ever taken a rest day , if so how often , ie once a week or once a fortnight ?? Many thanks
What I've found on my longer Caminos (more than 1,000K) is that, outside twisted ankles or whatnot, and when I was still young and healthy, it gravitated towards one rest day after 10 days or so of walking. But not always on a shorter one, less than 1,000K and about four weeks. (I need far more than that nowadays !!)

On a Francès from SJPP, assuming a typical 25K/day average, that would work out to a couple of rest days on the Way, wherever, and a final one in Compostela itself.

What I've found on my longer Caminos (more than 1,000K) is that, outside twisted ankles or whatnot, and when I was still young and healthy, it gravitated towards one rest day after 10 days or so of walking. But not always on a shorter one, less than 1,000K and about four weeks. (I need far more than that nowadays !!)

On a Francès from SJPP, assuming a typical 25K/day average, that would work out to a couple of rest days on the Way, wherever, and a final one in Compostela itself.
Thank you for that , think we all ask ourselves questions and my conclusion is to listen to what our bodies are telling us , the only days I be planning anything will be Holy Week and the last 100km where it be busy on the Camino .

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My first Camino I took my rest areas in the big cities before/after the Meseta: Burgos and Leon. That is where most pilgrims on my Camino took their rest days. This time, I might not take any rest days - instead taking long and short days as needed. While the rest days were wonderful - I felt like I should still be walking by mid-way through the rest day. And I had done enough "touristy" stuff like visit museums by mid-way through the rest day. I find the afternoons/evenings after walking have plenty of hours to do some "sight-seeing" without take a full rest day. So... this time I will likely have a long walk day and then a short day into the city, do some sight seeing, and still walk in the AM to the next village.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just wing it. Your body will tell you if you NEED a rest day. And if it says rest - then rest. You may, however be inspired to take a rest day in a certain town or city because the location is calling you to stay. As long as you have built in "extra days", there is no rush. But you also have no obligation to take a rest day if you find that you just want to keep walking. Rest days can be a little jarring after walking days on end and you may get ancy to move forward. If you end up with extra days at the end you can walk to Finisterre/Muxia or spend more time in Santiago or Madrid (if your flight is out of Madrid)

Just wing it. Your body will tell you if you NEED a rest day. And if it says rest - then rest. You may, however be inspired to take a rest day in a certain town or city because the location is calling you to stay. As long as you have built in "extra days", there is no rush. But you also have no obligation to take a rest day if you find that you just want to keep walking. Rest days can be a little jarring after walking days on end and you may get ancy to move forward. If you end up with extra days at the end you can walk to Finisterre/Muxia or spend more time in Santiago or Madrid (if your flight is out of Madrid)
I have no set day to fly back to the UK that is why I just brought a one way ticket to France so it take me as long as my body see fits

One question I have for those who have done the Camino Frances ...have you ever taken a rest day , if so how often , ie once a week or once a fortnight ?? Many thanks
My experience of rest days are if you stop at the bigger towns and cities and view the sites , by evening you will have walked as much as if you kept going and you are no way rested 🤪🤪
A nice village with a good bar and company is a nicer rest day .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My experience of rest days are if you stop at the bigger towns and cities and view the sites , by evening you will have walked as much as if you kept going and you are no way rested 🤪🤪
A nice village with a good bar and company is a nicer rest day .
That can be true as I don't really like busy places even my own town yet a village setting where everyone is chilled out and welcome outsiders especially pilgrims with a beer and a chat with the locals seems a better experience .

We are talking about different things - a "rest" day is one thing, but a day not walking the Camino (but walking many km to sightsee) is another!

Either way, it is a good idea to build a few flex days into your schedule, especially if you do not really know how your body will respond to a long distance walk! Maybe 1 day per week. I usually "plan" extra days for the major cities, but if I find I am getting weary, I will do some shorter days between smaller towns.
As I said earlier I have no time limit when I be finishing as its in God's timing when I reach Santiago so if my body tells me I need a day off then I be more and happy to be in a village setting and have a picnic lunch under a shaded tree and just chill out and watch the world go by ...

Hello Cardifflad from a Brummie Lad. (I use the term Lad despite pushing 70)
I have been on the Camino 4 times and have never taken a rest day. I have had days where I have cut down the amount of walking that I have done so in a way that constitutes a "rest day". I have always felt that I should keep going while it is possible as I have met people who have become injured of ill on the way and been forced to rest or stop completely. It is purely an individual choice and only you will know how you feel. Also you should consider that a lot of alberques will only let you stay for one night so if you do decide to rest you may need to find a more expensive option such as a pension or hotel. Whatever you deicide I wish you Buen Camino.
Vince

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Cardifflad from a Brummie Lad. (I use the term Lad despite pushing 70)
I have been on the Camino 4 times and have never taken a rest day. I have had days where I have cut down the amount of walking that I have done so in a way that constitutes a "rest day". I have always felt that I should keep going while it is possible as I have met people who have become injured of ill on the way and been forced to rest or stop completely. It is purely an individual choice and only you will know how you feel. Also you should consider that a lot of alberques will only let you stay for one night so if you do decide to rest you may need to find a more expensive option such as a pension or hotel. Whatever you deicide I wish you Buen Camino.
Vince
Thank you Vince for the message and advice ..being that I am leaving the UK on Friday I have been asking myself questions on many things and no doubt so have others ..I am going out there with an open mind and follow in the footsteps of the Saints before us with a positive attitude and not rush or take any risks just enjoy what lies ahead .. normally when on a ldw (long distance walk ) I divide it into 3 equal sections 1. Comfort break 2. Light lunch break 3.My final destination ..this is what I will be doing on a daily basis on the camino

Thank you Vince for the message and advice ..being that I am leaving the UK on Friday I have been asking myself questions on many things and no doubt so have others ..I am going out there with an open mind and follow in the footsteps of the Saints before us with a positive attitude and not rush or take any risks just enjoy what lies ahead .. normally when on a ldw (long distance walk ) I divide it into 3 equal sections 1. Comfort break 2. Light lunch break 3.My final destination ..this is what I will be doing on a daily basis on the camino
It sounds like you have a good approach. I have never booked a return flight as I have gone out with the attitude that it will take as long as it takes. Early on in my first Camino i developed a system which seemed to suit me. I would set off between 6 and 7 in the morning, walk for about 2 hours and stop for a breakfast and a rest. I would then go again for about 2 hours and stop for lunch and a rest. At this point I would consult my guide book and choose an alberque roughly about another hour away. This would have me checked in and showered by early afternoon and ready to head out with others for a Pilgrim's Meal and a relaxing evening. It may or may not work for you but it has done for me.
Buen Camino
Vince

Rest days are pretty special. So many places on the Camino Frances almost 'demand' that you stay and experience them to the fullest extent. In hindsight, my wife and I would have liked to have had more 'rest' days than we actually took. A lesson to take forward 'methinks'. That aside we really enjoyed our extra nights in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and Astorga. Next time, without any hesitation, would commit to all of these places again - while adding - Castrojeriz (didn't even see the castle ruins due to fog but would like to climb up the hill for sunrise/sunset), Santo Domingo de la Calzada (just a great vibe) and Logrono.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just wait and let your body tell you what it needs.
This is the bottom line of when you should take a rest day. Rest when your body tells you to rest. If you only feel like walking 10-15k one day that walk that distance. I believe, especially for a new pilgrim walking a few k less rather than pushing yourself and walking a few k more is better. Learn your body and your rhythm. If you join a camino family and they are pushing on when you need to stop than stop. There are always wonderful people just coming up over your shoulder. If you want an injury the best way to do it is be in a family and push on when you shouldn't. Remember would your mom, dad, or any family member walk on if you needed rest or were feeling unwell? Of course not.
. Also you should consider that a lot of alberques will only let you stay for one night so if you do decide to rest you may need to find a more expensive option such as a pension or hotel. Whatever you deicide I wish you Buen Camino.
This may be true if you just want a rest day. If you are sick or injured most albergues will allow you to stay longer, especially the private ones. Private albergues will almost certainly allow you to stay. Also you will soon learn that walking when walking on the CF if your albergue says they can't accommodate you for a second night in most villages and towns you can walk down the street to another albergue and avoid sleeping in a hotel or pension.

It sounds like you have a good approach. I have never booked a return flight as I have gone out with the attitude that it will take as long as it takes. Early on in my first Camino i developed a system which seemed to suit me. I would set off between 6 and 7 in the morning, walk for about 2 hours and stop for a breakfast and a rest. I would then go again for about 2 hours and stop for lunch and a rest. At this point I would consult my guide book and choose an alberque roughly about another hour away. This would have me checked in and showered by early afternoon and ready to head out with others for a Pilgrim's Meal and a relaxing evening. It may or may not work for you but it has done for me.
Buen Camino
Vince
I have only booked a one way ticket for Friday to Biarritz
Buen Camino
Vince
I myself have only booked a one way ticket to Biarritz from Stansted on Friday as I do not intend to come back that way ..instead when I am approx 3 days away from Santiago I am thinking of booking my return flight from Porto to Bristol as I only be an hour from home and I don't fancy flying into London from Santiago ..so it be a lot easier to get the flixbus to Porto after a two day rest in Santiago..but like you i be taking my comfort break and lunch break on a daily basis while using the guide book by John Brierley

I think it depends on how you feel, of course. I took one day and would not take one again unless I had an injury. I feel it’s better to take some shorter days to give your body some rest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is the bottom line of when you should take a rest day. Rest when your body tells you to rest. If you only feel like walking 10-15k one day that walk that distance. I believe, especially for a new pilgrim walking a few k less rather than pushing yourself and walking a few k more is better. Learn your body and your rhythm. If you join a camino family and they are pushing on when you need to stop than stop. There are always wonderful people just coming up over your shoulder. If you want an injury the best way to do it is be in a family and push on when you shouldn't. Remember would your mom, dad, or any family member walk on if you needed rest or were feeling unwell? Of course not.

This may be true if you just want a rest day. If you are sick or injured most albergues will allow you to stay longer, especially the private ones. Private albergues will almost certainly allow you to stay. Also you will soon learn that walking when walking on the CF if your albergue says they can't accommodate you for a second night in most villages and towns you can walk down the street to another albergue and avoid sleeping in a hotel or pension.
Oh I agree Hike the Hike I have no intentions of keeping up with other pilgrims as that will cause me some sort of injury ..I know my walking limit and though I only done the Inglis before over 6 days I know the Frances will take as long as it takes ..I can always go in the pilgrim office in SJ and ask them for a list of alberques as it's only a few doors away on the same street as I am staying in .

Oh I agree Hike the Hike I have no intentions of keeping up with other pilgrims as that will cause me some sort of injury ..I know my walking limit and though I only done the Inglis before over 6 days I know the Frances will take as long as it takes ..I can always go in the pilgrim office in SJ and ask them for a list of alberques as it's only a few doors away on the same street as I am staying in .
You can always download Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino or Camino Ninja apps. Also check Gronze.Com they do a great job of letting you know open/closed albergues. The apps and websites are all free and with a couple of them you will have a GPS (although it is pretty tough to get lost on the CF) as well as an abundant list of places to sleep.

I think it depends on how you feel, of course. I took one day and would not take one again unless I had an injury. I feel it’s better to take some shorter days to give your body some up to a fortnight

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can always download Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino or Camino Ninja apps. Also check Gronze.Com they do a great job of letting you know open/closed albergues. The apps and websites are all free and with a couple of them you will have a GPS (although it is pretty tough to get lost on the CF) as well as an abundant list of places to sleep.
Thank you for that , I check them out later , as you say it be hard to get lost , that's if John Brierley's guide book is all one would need as I only have 12gb data a month on my phone so not sure if its enough to use the GPS

Thank you for that , I check them out later , as you say it be hard to get lost , that's if John Brierley's guide book is all one would need as I only have 12gb data a month on my phone so not sure if its enough to use the GPS
You can download the GPS and use the offline with great accuracy with both the WIse Pilgrim and the Buen Camino apps. I have never downloaded anything from Camino Ninja so I do not know.

I am starting from Pamplona in 1 1/2 week from now. I will take the time I need, going slower days (12-15 kms.) than I usually do. This time, I have a ticket back home, for May 19th. This is bc I suspect flight prices soon will rise very much due to rising fuel prices. I normally have no return ticket. But this time it will be plenty of time to complete my CF.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it depends on how you feel, of course. I took one day and would not take one again unless I had an injury. I feel it’s better to take some shorter days to give your body some rest.
I know the feeling , up to a couple of weeks ago I was working 4 nights a week where I be on my feet for 11 hours and when I came to having my normal 3 days off my body could not charge itself properly as it was still in the night mode needing to work but gradually doing less time helped it so I certainly will cur the longer days in half to give the body a rest

I am starting from Pamplona in 1 1/2 week from now. I will take the time I need, going slower days (12-15 kms.) than I usually do. This time, I have a ticket back home, for May 19th. This is bc I suspect flight prices soon will rise very much due to rising fuel prices. I normally have no return ticket. But this time it will be plenty of time to complete my CF.
You wo
I may be in Pamplona on Monday 28th so paths may meet along the way at some point .

Rest days are pretty special. So many places on the Camino Frances almost 'demand' that you stay and experience them to the fullest extent. In hindsight, my wife and I would have liked to have had more 'rest' days than we actually took. A lesson to take forward 'methinks'. That aside we really enjoyed our extra nights in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and Astorga. Next time, without any hesitation, would commit to all of these places again - while adding - Castrojeriz (didn't even see the castle ruins due to fog but would like to climb up the hill for sunrise/sunset), Santo Domingo de la Calzada (just a great vibe) and Logrono.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have to see en route as I will most likely make a 20km hike into two days so I finish around mid day drop my backpack off then have an afternoon of looking round etc then I be ready the next day ..that's the theory anyway

€46,-
Yes! Walking the complete Frances with two friends, we took rest days in Logrono, Burgos and Leon. These days provided great opportunities to explore and experience local culture. Without planning for it, we were able to enjoy medieval festival in Burgos and harvest festival in Leon. In terms of walking, a rest day occurred every 6 or 7 days. Rest locations are reallypersonal choice based upon what appeals about specific places. We chose larger centres.

Yes! Walking the complete Frances with two friends, we took rest days in Logrono, Burgos and Leon. These days provided great opportunities to explore and experience local culture. Without planning for it, we were able to enjoy medieval festival in Burgos and harvest festival in Leon. In terms of walking, a rest day occurred every 6 or 7 days. Rest locations are reallypersonal choice based upon what appeals about specific places. We chose larger centres.
One will never tell until they are on the Camino , I be a solo traveller myself

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2015 we took a rest day just to see the city of Burgos. And a few days later, as we entered Carrion, they were just setting up for an agricultural festival, so we stayed over the Saturday night to take in that event. Burgos was planned to some degree, but Carrion was a decision made on the spot.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola. My wife and I have trekked 4 Caminos. On the first one, the Frances, we decided to take a rest day in Pamplona, however, by mid day of the Rest Day we found that we wished we were back out on the trail. Although it was never an unwritten rule between us, we have never found the need or desire to take another rest day since that time.
I would say, take a rest if you want / need a rest, but no need to schedule a rest in advance. The beauty of the Camino is that, unlike other “vacations”, you do not need to pre-plan or pre-book. It will all unfold along The Way.
Buen Camino,
Dusti & Skye

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my first CF, I planned rest days in Burgos and Leon. I then only stayed one night in Burgos, and took the day in Leon. On subsequent pilgrimages, I have allocated a rest day for every 10 days walking, and a 'sick day'. This is really only to make sure that I am not cutting things too fine in my planning, and doesn't necessarily mean that I will take them at any particular place.

As an aside, when I walked the Gudbrandsdalen, one of the St Olav's Ways in Norway, there was a group walking who took a rest day every Sunday and attended the local church service. Their walk was coordinated by the Norse Pilgrim Office, and the Sunday service became the Pilgrim Mass for the parish. I was fortunate enough to cross paths with them, and stay in the same place on the Saturday night. On the Sunday, I attended the church service with the other pilgrims in the group. It was followed by a wonderful 'morning tea' - a feast of cakes and scones put on by the parishioners for the pilgrims. It is high on the list of wonderful moments of generosity that I have experienced when on pilgrimage.

Further to my earlier reply, a pattern that I have seen, and will be considering in the future, is to plan to arrive in a city early by staying close by, spending the afternoon and following morning sightseeing, and walking on the following afternoon to somewhere not much further on. There appear to be good options for doing this around most of the larger cities along the CF.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pamplona, Burgos and Leon are obvious candidates for a day or two off - sightseeing, coffee, local food, resting...

With a little research, you may be able to find local festivals and markets in towns that you would otherwise just pass through - often good for a 'rest day'.

I think Sarria has a regular Saturday market - great for sitting down with large plate of pulpo, bread and vino tinto, and watching the world spinning on its axis...

Ataperca may be a good place for a day off there are organised tours of the archeological dig.

My suggestion: be open to simply taking a day off walking if somewhere looks interesteing (and you have the time in reserve - I found that the best days were totally unplanned...).

Pamplona, Burgos and Leon are obvious candidates for a day or two off - sightseeing, coffee, local food, resting...

With a little research, you may be able to find local festivals and markets in towns that you would otherwise just pass through - often good for a 'rest day'.

I think Sarria has a regular Saturday market - great for sitting down with large plate of pulpo, bread and vino tinto, and watching the world spinning on its axis...

Ataperca may be a good place for a day off there are organised tours of the archeological dig.

My suggestion: be open to simply taking a day off walking if somewhere looks interesteing (and you have the time in reserve - I found that the best days were totally unplanned...).
Thank you for the suggestions , I be walking through Holy week so I expect something will be going on everywhere I go in blind with nothing planned and see where it takes me bit would prefer a village setting as I day of rest so I can just chill and watch the world go round , but I definitely look out for any festivals .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also you should consider that a lot of alberques will only let you stay for one night so if you do decide to rest you may need to find a more expensive option such as a pension or hotel. Whatever you deicide I wish you Buen Camino.
Vince
Yes, if you DO take a rest day... the first night you probably should stay in a hotel or hostel that allows a later checkout (most albergues kick you out by 8 or 9 and those that do allow you 2 nights stay may still ask you to leave mid-day for cleaning). I either do 2 nights in a private room as part of my rest plan (preferably with a bathtub to soak in) or 1 night in a private room and the 2nd night in an albergue (save on cost this way, and you still get the advantage of the later checkout for your rest day while having to leave early the following day).

I stop many times per day for cafe con leche

€46,-
I did "rest days" in Logrono and Burgos. Logrono - one day, relaxed and went on a wine tour. In Burgos I did 2 full days - relaxed, walked around the city, and did the Human Evolution museum.

There were a couple of days along the way that became unintentional days of rest or very short walking days - I would stop for a snack, beer/wine and the next thing I knew I had been sitting there enjoying the company of new friends and the afternoon was gone so forced to stop for the day.....so much fun though and wouldn't do it any other way :)

On the CF it is hard to resist taking a rest day on a market day or a festival day to get an appreciation for the regional culture. Leon is a favorite for me staying at San Isidoro and dining at a small collection of traditional restaurants in a barrio south of the cathedral, Burgos for Norte y Londres, the morcilla and visiting the cathedral and then Astorga for a splurge in the Spa at Hotel de la Plata.

On the CF it is hard to resist taking a rest day on a market day or a festival day to get an appreciation for the regional culture. Leon is a favorite for me staying at San Isidoro and dining at a small collection of traditional restaurants in a barrio south of the cathedral, Burgos for Norte y Londres, the morcilla and visiting the cathedral and then Astorga for a splurge in the Spa at Hotel de la Plata.B

On the CF it is hard to resist taking a rest day on a market day or a festival day to get an appreciation for the regional culture. Leon is a favorite for me staying at San Isidoro and dining at a small collection of traditional restaurants in a barrio south of the cathedral, Burgos for Norte y Londres, the morcilla and visiting the cathedral and then Astorga for a splurge in the Spa at Hotel de la Plata.
I think you hit the 'nail on the head'. Some of those Frances towns are very hard to leave in your wake. My wife and I also spent a couple of nights in the Hotel de la Plata in Astorga. We had to book an hour in the spa...which was then reserved just for us (Covid protocol). A very relaxing couple of nights in Astorga...one of our favourite stops.

If you mean staying two nights in the same town, no. But I did walk a few very short days, 10k. I also took the bus early in the morning to Leon to skip the industrial area and to make sure I got to town early enough to switch my phone service and to enjoy the city.

If you mean staying two nights in the same town, no. But I did walk a few very short days, 10k. I also took the bus early in the morning to Leon to skip the industrial area and to make sure I got to town early enough to switch my phone service and to enjoy the in

If you mean staying two nights in the same town, no. But I did walk a few very short days, 10k. I also took the bus early in the morning to Leon to skip the industrial area and to make sure I got to town early enough to switch my phone service and to enjoy the city.
In my first week I am splitting one day into two to allow my body to adjust ..so day 2 and 3 will only be 11 miles each with set comfort break after 6km and a light lunch a further 6km later ..I find it a lot easier when dividing each walking day into 3 sections

On my first Camino, I planned a rest day every week, as my training suggested that my body would need that. After getting out on Camino and actually taking my first rest day, it felt very weird NOT to spend the day walking. I've never taken one since. What many veterans do is take "Short" days of 10 Km or so. I usually plan these coming out of a larger town, allowing for a later night out at a real restaurant, and a leisurely multi coffee start to the day. For me, 10 or so IS a rest day, but lets me stay mentally in the Camino zone. Any type of injury will, of course, torpedo your planning. If you are hurt, hole up and recover.
I always stop in Pamplona Burgos and Leon and have a day off in each , mainly because they are so beautiful, you benefit from the rest and enjoy the cities

I took a rest day in Leon and regretted it. I walked 10km around the city anyway. Saw everything at least twice. And lost my posse, never to catch up with them again.

I agree, take a day off when you need it, or as in my case, whenever there is something worth seeing that is off the Camino. Santiago will still be there whenever you reach the end of the Camino!

My husband and I are take a small group in the middle of April. We are planning to take rest days in Burgos and Leon. That will give us a day of sightseeing and relaxing depending on the need. Sometimes getting into a city, town and or hamlet late does not give you time to do any sightseeing or rest.

We reserved every Sunday for rest and Mass. It just seemed appropriate.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Set aside time constraints: I respect that many have them, but for me:

Every day on the Camino is a rest day. It is a rest from your everyday life, and an exploration of yourself. We have all read the saying "The Way is the goal". Many will experience the truth of these words. Some will not get it.

I know from experience that many people arrive in SdC with a completely changed mindset from when they started. Along the long walk, something happened, and at the end they came out with a different mindset. I hope many of you will end up there.

The Camino needs time with you, and you with it.

I walked the Camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago in one trip with my brother and sister. We are in our 60's and trained hard for the three months before we started. Even though we were in good shape, we found it very beneficial to take a rest day in all of the large cities, so we rented a VRBO in downtown Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Villafranca del Beirzo and spent two nights in each. Those rest days let my feet recover, and let us recharge our strength before continuing. Besides, it allowed us to see some of the museums, churches and cathedrals in each city. It also compensated us for having to slog our way thru the urban and industrial wastelands on the way in and out of each of these big cities, particularly Leon. I recommend it.

Exercise physiologists would advise against performing the same strenuous exercise day after day on an indefinite basis. Two issues are: 1) muscles need time to repair after a workout and 2) the chance of injury is greatly increased.
That said, the line between training and overtraining is fuzzy. It's an individual thing. But most exercise programs advise rest days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago in one trip with my brother and sister. We are in our 60's and trained hard for the three months before we started. Even though we were in good shape, we found it very beneficial to take a rest day in all of the large cities, so we rented a VRBO in downtown Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Villafranca del Beirzo and spent two nights in each. Those rest days let my feet recover, and let us recharge our strength before continuing. Besides, it allowed us to see some of the museums, churches and cathedrals in each city. It also compensated us for having to slog our way thru the urban and industrial wastelands on the way in and out of each of these big cities, particularly Leon. I recommend it.
Well I got into Pamplona just after mid day and all is OK I have a private room with my own en suite but when I hit the road tomorrow it be back to Alberques ..as for staying over in one place for an extra day I see how the weeks go ..a few aches and pains which is expected a nice soak and a massage be good but that's wishful thinking 🤔

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back