• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest days

Kimmzie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago .. St Jean planning to do June 2015
Hi
I will be hiking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago starting April 27th. I have a month to complete my camino. I am looking for suggestions on which villages or cities I should stop and take my "rest days" in, what's cool to see and explore. I will be doing the coastal route.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi
I will be hiking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago starting April 27th. I have a month to complete my camino. I am looking for suggestions on which villages or cities I should stop and take my "rest days" in, what's cool to see and explore. I will be doing the coastal route.
I took a restday in ponte de lima and pontevedra but started in porto. Both very nice but Pontevedra very very nice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the Lisbon to Porto leg A must is Tomar to visit the World Heritage Convent do Christo , the Templars convent.
Coimbra with its famous medieval university and the world famous library.
If you have time, stay in each above mentioned towns an extra day.

Take a day or two to sightsee Porto and if you are in Barcelos , take An extra day and take the bus or train for a 20 kms long trip to Braga and visit the world heritage sanctuary Bom Jesus do Monte . A must too when you are in Portugal.and the City center of Braga is very nice . You will enjoy the day.
And do not forget to stay at Casa da Fernanda, the best privat albergue on the entire Portuguese caminho.
From Barcelos about 18 kms on the waymarked caminho in the hamlet of Vitorino dos Piães.
Ponte de Lima is a nice town but if you start early from Fernandas about 9 o clock you will be about noon in Ponte de Lima and have time enough to see the compact center. No need to stay another day there.

Now I see you do the coastal.
I have done both the central and the coastal.
No places in particulair to stay an extra day .
Viana do Castelo is nice for one or two hours but then you have seen it.
Same with Caminha. Small towns nothing special.
Baiona has a nice fortress but also here within 2 hours you have seen the lot.
Vigo a big city but nice if you like shopping ....
South of Porto as I mentioned above Tomar and Coimbra are more interesting and Porto and Braga,.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
No such thing as a rest day if you plan on walking all over town to visit. I am a bigger fan of shorter days here and there, taking a full afternoon to visit. Mind you, realisticly, a full afternoon will be plenty to visit most places of extra interest, other than Porto.

My favourite, north of Porto, is Pontevedra. Valenca is picturesque, but filled with tourists. And it's 2 streets, so you'll be done in an instant. Then the few streets in Ponte de Lima and Tui. Another picturesque little village, also 2 streets or so, is Combarro, on the Variante Espiritual.

Kimmsie - I loved the Portuguese camino. Please feel free to check my diary and photo albums which may give you some ideas. I broke it into two separate caminos - Porto to SdC, and Lisbon to Porto - both lovely!
Check out: http://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago
If my health were better, I would certainly repeat the Porto to SdC one, but age is now a factor. I have always preferred shorter days - maximum 20kms and no problem if I only walk 10 kms!
Whichever you choose, may God walk with you on your camino through life....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kimmsie - I loved the Portuguese camino. Please feel free to check my diary and photo albums which may give you some ideas. I broke it into two separate caminos - Porto to SdC, and Lisbon to Porto - both lovely!
Check out: http://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago
If my health were better, I would certainly repeat the Porto to SdC one, but age is now a factor. I have always preferred shorter days - maximum 20kms and no problem if I only walk 10 kms!
Whichever you choose, may God walk with you on your camino through life....
Stephen I just looked at your blog and got scared. "Attacked by dogs in a Portuguese Forest." Oh NO! I am a 71 year old woman planning to walk the camino portugues alone this May and feeling worried.

Hi: It depends if you are looking for actual rest or wanting to do some sightseeing. Rest can obviously be done anywhere. Since you will be walking the coastal route, and I have walked the coastal route from Porto to Santiago, here are some thoughts on that section:

1. For pure rest, Oia is a beautiful little village. Not much to do there, but a lovely location for a long lunch and to just lounge around.
2. For more of an exploring scenario, I would suggest Baiona and/or Pontevedra.
3. Vigo is a large city, so there are probably a number of things you could do there. A trip to the Cies Islands would be a possibility. I was pretty tired by the time I arrived in Vigo, so I did not actually do too much, so there is nothing specific I can suggest.
4. Porto is a "must". Probably worth two full days. A wonderful place.

I hope this helps!

On the Lisbon to Pirto leg A must is Tomar to visit the World Heritage Convent do Christo , the Templars convent.
Coimbra with its famous medieval university and the world famous library.
If you have time, stay in each above mentioned towns an extra day.

Take a day or two to sightsee Porto and if you are in Barcelos , take An extra day and take the bus or train for a 20 kms long trip to Braga and visit the world heritage sanctuary Bom Jesus do Monte . A must too when you are in Portugal.and the City center of Braga is very nice . You will enjoy the day.
And do not forget to stay at Casa da Fernanda, the best privat albergue on the entire Portuguese caminho.
From Barcelos about 18 kms on the waymarked caminho in the hamlet of Vitorino dos Piães.
Ponte de Lima is a nice town but if you start early from Fernandas about 9 o clock you will be about noon in Ponte de Lima and have time enough to see the compact center. No need to stay another day there.

Now I see you do the coastal.
I have done both the central and the coastal.
No places in particulair to stay an extra day .
Viana do Castelo is nice for one or two hours but then you have seen it.
Same with Caminha. Small towns nothing special.
Baiona has a nice fortress but also here within 2 hours you have seen the lot.
Vigo a big city but nice if you like shopping ....
South of Porto as I mentioned above Tomar and Coimbra are more interesting and Porto and Braga,.

Bom caminho
Thank you very much for this information!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi: It depends if you are looking for actual rest or wanting to do some sightseeing. Rest can obviously be done anywhere. Since you will be walking the coastal route, and I have walked the coastal route from Porto to Santiago, here are some thoughts on that section:

1. For pure rest, Oia is a beautiful little village. Not much to do there, but a lovely location for a long lunch and to just lounge around.
2. For more of an exploring scenario, I would suggest Baiona and/or Pontevedra.
3. Vigo is a large city, so there are probably a number of things you could do there. A trip to the Cies Islands would be a possibility. I was pretty tired by the time I arrived in Vigo, so I did not actually do too much, so there is nothing specific I can suggest.
4. Porto is a "must". Probably worth two full days. A wonderful place.

I hope this helps!
Thank you!!!

Hi

all the larger towns (and cities) are awesome. and many of the smaller ones too. too name a couple, Guimaraes in Portugal, Pontevedra in Spain and the twin towns of Tui/Valença do Minho on the border...

Buen Camino

all the larger towns (and cities) are awesome. and many of the smaller ones too. too name a couple, Guimaraes in Portugal, Pontevedra in Spain and the twin towns of Tui/Valença do Minho on the border...

Buen Camino
Yes Guimarães is a beautiful place as well are Évora, Albufeira, Aveiro and Viseu.
However all mentioned places are not close by the caminho path the OP is talking about.
The OP asked for interesting places to look around during a second day.
The most interesting places imho are south of Porto Being Tomar and Coimbra where you feel the history of Portugal. They have interested places like the medieval Templar's castle and convent, the medieval University and the world famous medieval library.
Then Porto and Braga. The Bom Jesus do Monte sanctuary is a must if you are close by.
If you like to sit in a train and like to see many stops at stations.
The 60 km long trip from Porto to Guimarães takes one and a half hour and the train stops 26 times.:confused:
Other places are nice too by not to stay for an extra day .they are too small. You have seen them within a couple of hours.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes Guimarães is a beautiful place as well are Évora, Albufeira, Aveiro and Viseu.
However all mentioned places are not close by the caminho path the OP is talking about.
The OP asked for interesting places to look around during a second day.

you are absolutely right - my bad, i missed the coastal route part (so adiós guimaraes) - the rest applies though, that is, depending on what the OP considers as the coastal route (not necessarily through vigo)

cheers

Stephen I just looked at your blog and got scared. "Attacked by dogs in a Portuguese Forest." Oh NO! I am a 71 year old woman planning to walk the camino portugues alone this May and feeling worried.
Hello my dear [not sure of your name!!]
Do not be worried about wild dogs - yes there are some, but generally few and far between, and they don't like interacting with humans.
I always carry a walking pole - the pointed end is a good deterrent. I also carry a dog repellent [high frequency noise, unheard by the human ear] which works well.
May is a beautiful month on any camino - you will have a wonderful time! There won't be too many other peregrinos on the camino in May - which is the way I love it!
And 71? If you're fit, that's all that matters. I have walked each year since 2011, and am now 78!
Blessings from England - and please do NOT be put off by talk of dogs :)

Do not be worried about wild dogs - yes there are some, but generally few and far between, and they don't like interacting with humans.
I always carry a walking pole - the pointed end is a good deterrent. I also carry a dog repellent [high frequency noise, unheard by the human ear] which works well.
May is a beautiful month on any camino - you will have a wonderful time! There won't be too many other peregrinos on the camino in May - which is the way I love it!
And 71? If you're fit, that's all that matters. I have walked each year since 2011, and am now 78!

I agree with Stephen's comments above: Do not be worried about wild dogs. Having walked both the Portuguese central route and Portuguese coastal way, I never encountered any of these. That is not to say that they do not exist, but I never saw any. There are lots of dogs along the way, but most are kept behind gates or enclosures. The ones that I met out on the roads were either very friendly or had no interest in me. Simply walk and enjoy!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Stephen, pleased to hear you say this. I am not so much concerned about fitness just some thoughts about being alone if dogs come or I get lost, etc. I walked the Camino Frances last year with no problems, but of course there are a lot of people.
Oh -- my name has turned confusing here. L as in Linda (first name). M (last name) Sundaze -- internet forum name. Thanks for answering me.

Stephen I thought you told me once you had several sausages in your pack to distract the evil terrors on 4 feet and a wagging tail.:D

Hi
Btw. depending on your pace -you will have a month to reach Santiago there is not much time of having some rest days.
With an average of 20 kms a day we walked from Lisbon in 32 days with a restdays in Coimbra ,one in Porto and one in Barcelos(to visit Braga) .
An idea is to skip the first 3 days from Lisbon -Walk to Parque de Nações (8kms) and taker t he train to Santarèm to continue. Then you gain some time to see something of Portugal and avoid a not so interesting part between Sacavèm and Santarèm.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sooo excited for you!! I did a solo Camino May 2015 from Porto to Santiago and the memories are so fresh and wonderful!! Spring is an awesome time to walk!! I was never scared or attacked by dogs!! I saw one vicious dog but it was on a chain. My walking stick or cajado, as a fellow pilgrim tought me, also made me feel safe. Try not to plan too much in advance....walk as far and long as each day goes by and you will end up staying where you have to....that is part of the camino magic!! One tip. Travel light... Buen Camino!!!

We walked the coastal in May 2016 and everywhere was beautiful. Vigo is too large a city for a rest day, I feel. A bit overwhelming after the quiet of the previous days. If, no *when*, we do it again we would spend more time in Pontevedra. Padron is interesting too but too close to the end for a rest day. Follow the green arrow coastal, rather than yellow, from Baiona to Vigo - really lovely. Photos on our blog if you would like a feel. Buen Camino!
https://twowalktosantiago.wordpress.com

We walked the coastal in May 2016 and everywhere was beautiful. Vigo is too large a city for a rest day, I feel. A bit overwhelming after the quiet of the previous days. If, no *when*, we do it again we would spend more time in Pontevedra. Padron is interesting too but too close to the end for a rest day. Follow the green arrow coastal, rather than yellow, from Baiona to Vigo - really lovely. Photos on our blog if you would like a feel. Buen Camino!
https://twowalktosantiago.wordpress.com
Indeed Vigo is a big city. If you like statues , modern and antique, Vigo is the place to be.there are many around the down town center. There are nice views over the area and the ría ( like a fjord/sound) when you take the funicular lift to the upper part of the town .
If you like the typical Spanish food there are many good restaurants with all kinds of dishes . There are many hotels in all kinds of prices.
And yes we liked the green waymarked route from Baiona although the hospitalero of the Nigrán albergue first alerted us about the existence of this route along the waterline to Vigo instead of following the original yellow ones into the hills towards the upper part of Vigo.
We have been there several time ,once arriving by ship from Brazil and then had more time to explore the city.
The next time we arrived there by foot :) and intended to stay another day to rest but after finding our way back to the downtown center ,we decided to go on the next day .
All the hassle of the traffic and crowds did not attract us anymore.
We walked on to Redondela the next day but during the walk we remembered the smelly ,full, hot ,noisy albergue-cueing up for toilets and bathrooms with cold showers - in the center of Redondela from an earlier caminho we walked .
Before we read here on the forum about the Refúxio de la Jerézana in Cessantes, only three kms further on the way to Pontevedra and well waymarked by signs on lampposts .we liked this place far better than the one in Redondela.
The owner, a lovely -Spanish-English and German speaking lady called Marie brought us by car to the beachside where we had a nice time and then we slowly walked back, having a glass of wine with the locals in a bar and arriving at the Refúxio Marie prepared us a tasty meal.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Before we read here on the forum about the Refúxio de la Jerézana in Cessantes, only three kms further on the way to Pontevedra and well waymarked by signs on lampposts .we liked this place far better than the one in Redondela.
The owner, a lovely -Spanish-English and German speaking lady called Marie brought us by car to the beachside where we had a nice time and then we slowly walked back, having a glass of wine with the locals in a bar and arriving at the Refúxio Marie prepared us a tasty meal.
I had a very different experience at the Jerezana,in May 2016: it is run by a few "interns", young adults who work and stay there for free in exchance for a bed in the pilgrim dorm and work experience. It is a bit odd. The place is impeccable, but I was glad the weather was good since the working showers and loos were outside. There is a room with a kitchen table, microwave and kettle, that's it for a place to congretate with others.

I had a very different experience at the Jerezana,in May 2016: it is run by a few "interns", young adults who work and stay there for free in exchance for a bed in the pilgrim dorm and work experience. It is a bit odd. The place is impeccable, but I was glad the weather was good since the working showers and loos were outside. There is a room with a kitchen table, microwave and kettle, that's it for a place to congretate with others.
That could be due to the absence of Marie .she was expecting a baby by the time .
We had excellent experiences there.

Stephen I thought you told me once you had several sausages in your pack to distract the evil terrors on 4 feet and a wagging tail.:D
No, Albertinho - the sausages were for my lunch.... though I had to share them with several 2-footed friendly 'terrors' ;).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That could be due to the absence of Marie .she was expecting a baby by the time .
We had excellent experiences there.
She was there. Popped in to give the interns instructions and would leave. It was all very transactional. I don't think she said a word to me.

No, Albertinho - the sausages were for my lunch.... though I had to share them with several 2-footed friendly 'terrors' ;).
Probably see you again in the U.K. when we visit our relatives in London .
We give you a call !

All the best to you and your wife. See you again

Best regards

Albertinho e Nel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So sorry .she is really a very kind person and was very helpfull to the guests who were there by the time we were there.
She has another business and was clearly more concerned about that one. The jnterns also help her with that.

Thank You All for this gorgeous information. It comes just on right time for us when planning our camino from Lisbon to SdC. Having time for six weeks we really intend to have rest days in some suggested cities.
One more question? does anybody have any idea of spending Easter in Portugal. It seems that we are in Coimbra on the Good Friday and for to be sure of accomondation have reserved a hostel for two nights.
I´ll make notes to my guidebook(Brierley) and then we only have to walk and enjoy .
Can´t stand the feever??
Bom Caminho

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi
If you find yourself on the coastal camino near Vila Nova de Cerveira which borders Galicia, come and stay with me/Englishman living on the Mino river with comfortable accommodation. Lawrence

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back