• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest days

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Every so often, when you feel like it, and you arrive at a place you like, just stay an extra night.
I agree. Just have a cushion to allow extra days for rest or sightseeing or whatever.

I personally found that I don't like to take full rest days. My feet get itchy, and I prefer to walk 2 short days in a row. For example a short day of 9.6 km from Viana into Logroño, spend the night in a private room where I can drop off my backpack and explore the town, then maybe take a nap before going out to enjoy the tapas bars of Calle del Laurel. Then sleep in, enjoy a leisurely breakfast and walk another short 12.4 km day to Navarette.

I agree. Just have a cushion to allow extra days for rest or sightseeing or whatever.

I personally found that I don't like to take full rest days. My feet get itchy, and I prefer to walk 2 short days in a row. For example a short day of 9.6 km from Viana into Logroño, spend the night in a private room where I can drop off my backpack and explore the town, then maybe take a nap before going out to enjoy the tapas bars of Calle del Laurel. Then sleep in, enjoy a leisurely breakfast and walk another short 12.4 km day to Navarette.
Hey thanks. Thats a better idea.

Also although you may not want to think about this, you may have to take a day or two due to illness or injury. It happens to a lot of people. Maybe don't plan your days. Just let them happen if you need and if you don't take some extra time at the end to visit Finesterre or Muxia by bus?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also although you may not want to think about this, you may have to take a day or two due to illness or injury. It happens to a lot of people. Maybe don't plan your days. Just let them happen if you need and if you don't take some extra time at the end to visit Finesterre or Muxia by bus?
I'm giving myself extra days, figuring 1. I could get ill or injured 2. I could take rest days if I want 3. Best-case scenario, I can keep walking to Finesterre and/or Muxia. (I even have enough paid time off from my job to cover the extra days, which feels extremely luxurious as an American, lol)

I'm giving myself extra days, figuring 1. I could get ill or injured 2. I could take rest days if I want 3. Best-case scenario, I can keep walking to Finesterre and/or Muxia. (I even have enough paid time off from my job to cover the extra days, which feels extremely luxurious as an American, lol)
Good for you! No one wants to think about it, but people do get sick and they do get hurt.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks I get that, but was wondering if anyone could tell me what towns are exceptionally nice
To name a few of the interesting larger towns/cities for a rest day, you could consider Logrono, Burgos, Leon, and Astorga; all situated "roughly" a similar distance apart. There are numerous smaller lovely towns and a few of my favorites are Pamplona(larger, but too soon for a rest day imo), Belorado, Castrojerez, Molinaseca, O'Cebreiro, Villafranca, and Portomarin, although they don't really need a full extra day to explore.
Have fun checking out potential options!

To name a few of the interesting larger towns/cities you could consider are Logrono, Burgos, Leon, and Astorga; all situated "roughly" a similar distance apart. There are numerous smaller lovely towns and a few of my favorites are Pamplona(but too soon for a rest day imo), Belorado, Castrojerez, Molinaseca, O'Cebreiro, Villafranca, and Portomarin, but they don't really need a full extra day to explore.
Have fun checking out your potential options!
Awesome thanks

Having the budget of 4 extra days is great. I would tell you to have a plan for them, but be willing to take a spontaneous day off if you encounter a place that just captures your attention, or, listen to your body and take an extra day or part day if you need it. That said I found Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada totally enjoyable and spent extra time in all of them. I wish I would have taken more time in Molinaseca. Puente la Reina (early) and Villafranca (late) were super nice towns I could have enjoyed longer. Having the flexibility to just stop is so great. Also, Santiago is a rich town with lots to see and do, so even having some extra time at the end is worthwhile. Enjoy you Camino. I am returning for a short one from Ponferrada with my 10 year old grandson and son-in-law in June.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Having the budget of 4 extra days is great. I would tell you to have a plan for them, but be willing to take a spontaneous day off if you encounter a place that just captures your attention, or, listen to your body and take an extra day or part day if you need it. That said I found Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada totally enjoyable and spent extra time in all of them. I wish I would have taken more time in Molinaseca. Puente la Reina (early) and Villafranca (late) were super nice towns I could have enjoyed longer. Having the flexibility to just stop is so great. Also, Santiago is a rich town with lots to see and do, so even having some extra time at the end is worthwhile. Enjoy you Camino. I am returning for a short one from Ponferrada with my 10 year old grandson and son-in-law in June.
Thanks Ill take a look. Enjoy the time with your family

Hi all, Im starting my camino Frances in April 23. SJPP to Santiago. Was thinking of adding in 4 rest days. Any opinions or thoughts of best towns to stay a day in for looking around etc. Cheers

When you need a rest........the next town or village is often a good place :oops:

Seriously though, many people plan rest days in a larger town like Burgos or Leon.
But be prepared to have the odd impromptu rest day.
Sometimes your body just says stop........

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In general, wherever you are when your body tells you it needs a rest. That said, some people like spending their rest days in larger places with more to see and do and more infrastructure (shops, banks, pharmacies, etc.). Others like smaller places where they just... rest.

Common locations that are frequently mentioned for rest days include: Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, Sahagun, Leon, Astorga, Molinaseca, Ponferrada, Villafranca del Bierzo.

Last edited:
Maybe Pamplona is too early for a rest day, but it is worth exploring a Basque city. I usually fly into Madrid, take a train to Pamplona, and then a bus to SJPdP. Last time I spent the night in Pamplona and caught the bus the next day,

@trecile had a good plan for Logroño that can be used for other towns. I have used that strategy several times to increase the duration of a stay in a larger town. Nero (near zero) rather zero day walking. I have never left a town late in the day. You may consider making a reservation at your next destination if you are planning on leaving town late in the day. I use the Camino Planner a lot when making my decision on where to stay.

I have walked through Villafranca del Bierzo and would like to spend at least a night there next time.

+1 on all the towns listed.

I’m going to jump on the idea offered by @trecile above. We have come to build some short walking days into our Caminos. We also have a couple days in reserve so if we wanted to take off an entire day, we could. We have found that just a short walking day has had a similar effect to taking an entire rest day. On those days, we linger around the town for a nice breakfast and then take our time getting to the next destination with more than the usual number of breaks along The Way. Typically, we arrive quite fresh, enjoy the afternoon ad evening in a different location and feel fit and ready for a full day of walking the next morning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have found that just a short walking day has had a similar effect to taking an entire rest day.
I agree that planning a short day can replicate a full rest day in many cases. One in particular I planned was ending a stage closer to Bilbao on the Norte, so arrived fairly early, enjoyed a tour of the Guggenheim museum interior, the festive center and cathedral, and hiked to the top of the old fort on the hill across the bay(my favorite thing I did).

One thing that we found was that once we started walking, we got into a rhythm and didn't want to stop and spend a rest day. So, as long as you stay healthy, I'd completely agree with the notion of doing the two short days leading into one of the cities people have mentioned (I particularly like León). That way you satisfy what may be a "need" to walk while also getting to relax and enjoy the sights/sounds/food of your target city. Buen Camino!

Our planned stops were Burgos and León; Pamplona's visit was on our way home. We spent three days in Sahagün resting after an illness and three days in Astorga due to an injury. Both these towns had enough things to do but were small enough to give an old time feel.

Edit: I agree that Villafranca would be a good stop too.

Last edited:

Totally agree. Half days work better for me too. Pamplona, Burgos and Leon are the obvious candidates. All interesting historical cities and big enough to occupy my time.

Hi all, Im starting my camino Frances in April 23. SJPP to Santiago. Was thinking of adding in 4 rest days. Any opinions or thoughts of best towns to stay a day in for looking around etc. Cheers

I see that you are from Ausralia, so you are likely to have less flexibility than those who hop on a train, bus or plane in Europe and go start walking. I am from the US and I always have to make the same guesstimate when I book my round trip ticket.

If you are lucky enough to have those extra days, by all mean pencil them in. I always try to go with four days for “just in case.” If I arrive in Santiago without using them, it allows me to walk on to Finisterre and/or Muxia.

As others have said, you really have no way of knowing whether you body will feel like a rest day (I don’t usually take them, but some forum members love them). If there are cities that you want to devote to a day of touring, that’s a different question and you could plan those ahead of time. You’ve gotten a lot of good suggestions, and I think León is the most spectacular of them all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My own rule of thumb, from when I could still walk more or less OK, was 1 rest day in every ten day period - - plus one for luck ; and two for Santiago.

Then in fact, just take one when you need it.

Need many more of them right now, but if you are OK as a walker, the above should get you by, provided that your self-appraisal of your walking abilities is accurate.

Personally - I recommend you "wing it" and decide if you even need/want them as you walk... then as you walk... pick the places that inspire you! Definitely build possible rest days into your schedule - but if you decide you don't want/need them... you can spend extra time at the end of your Camino in Santiago or walk/bus to Finisterre/Muxia, or be a tourist in some other nearby town or Madrid if flying home from Madrid.

On the Frances - I stopped in Burgos and Leon - as they are the biggest cities with the most to see. They were great places to stop, but I will tell you, it felt quite unsettling to not be moving on to the next town on my rest days. Sure, I enjoyed visits to the Cathedrals and museums and local shops (and do laundry in machines)... but it also felt very weird to not pick up my bag and start walking.

On my Norte/Primitivo - I decided not to do any rest days unless I was needing them or inspired to do them. That was a good choice for me. I did end up taking 1 rest day in Oviedo after walking a double stage with totally wet feet all day. I still felt like I only needed a half day at the most. And it was needed ONLY because I couldn't get my socks dry due to the weather and I wanted to give all my clothes a good wash and DRY before resuming. If I hadn't been walking with wet feet all day, I wouldn't have even thought to take a rest day.

Anyhow - I found with both Caminos it was better to mix long and short walking days as needed.

That said - some nice places are definitely Burgos and Leon. Pamplona, Astorga, and Ponferada are a couple other nice spots and big enough towns/cities to have plenty to do. I think my daughter stayed in Villafranca del Beirzo and really liked staying there. There are plenty of tiny villages that may inspire you too. Personally I wouldn't do a rest day in the tiny villages because I need to find some sort of entertainment like museums/cathedrals on my day off... but if you are one who really needs rest and wants to find a quiet river or something to sit by - there are a few of those as well.

Leon has many nice places to stay. If you can stay one night in the Parador as a pilgrim or senior (special rate) it’s a beautiful historic building. The cathedral is a must see!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would recommend the rest days in places you like over walking on to Fisterra. Reason being: many find that they forget the details as one walking day blurs into another. Until you *get to Fisterra* those last 3 days don't have much to distinguish them from each other.... and then 6 months after your trip there is that feeling of "Was it Logrono or Viana where I...?" or "Was that in Punta de la Reina, or in Estella?" ... and "Why on earth didn't I stay in Molinaseca?" or something like that...
Buen Camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

This what I did walked from Viana to Logrono but stayed 2 night in Logrono. Best two night exploring the city. Then walked over to Navaretter stayed the night. I only meant to stay one rest day in Logrono but, I really likes it there and decided to spend another night. Buen Camino

When I planned my camino, I had no idea what to expect. I read, both on this forum and in several books, that many people like to take some days off from walking -- zero days. So, I factored in some days off to rest and some days in case of illness. Being older, 69 at the time, and from an area that is totally flat, I added a bunch more days "just in case". Then a funny thing happened. I enjoyed the walking. I found a comfortable pace and kept going. I ended up taking one zero day. It was in Burgos. When I was nearing the end, I needed to rebook my flight home because I had an extra two weeks left in my schedule! So, what I'm saying is that one really never knows what will happen. Add some days to your schedule, expect the unexpected, and do what you must. If one can't rebook the flight home, then there is nothing wrong with skipping a section (before Sarria), taking days off, or sightseeing afterwards. Take your time. It will be your camino, your vacation, your adventure. You will follow your schedule as your body dictates. In my opinion, the hardest part of planning was figuring out how many days would be needed. No one can tell you how many days you will need. If you are in reasonable health, don't over think it. I returned home on day 42, but that included five nights in Santiago -- two nights before Fisterra and three after.
May St. James guide your steps.
Good luck with your planning and Buen Camino!
Bob

I see that you are from Ausralia, so you are likely to have less flexibility than those who hop on a train, bus or plane in Europe and go start walking. I am from the US and I always have to make the same guesstimate when I book my round trip ticket.

If you are lucky enough to have those extra days, by all mean pencil them in. I always try to go with four days for “just in case.” If I arrive in Santiago without using them, it allows me to walk on to Finisterre and/or Muxia.

As others have said, you really have no way of knowing whether you body will feel like a rest day (I don’t usually take them, but some forum members love them). If there are cities that you want to devote to a day of touring, that’s a different question and you could plan those ahead of time. You’ve gotten a lot of good suggestions, and I think León is the most spectacular of them all.
I am from Aus, but lucky enough to have plenty of leave, so at moment only flights are booked in.
My thoughts were originally to walk every day, as like someone said easier to stay in the rythym. Like the idea of the odd short day and will probably use that option.
My other thought is I may hire a car and travel back to the places I liked on my way back to Paris for my flight.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Wishing you all a very merry xmas & a safe and happy 2023. Happy walking. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Every so often, when you feel like it, and you arrive at a place you like, just stay an extra night.

Best advice yet. If you like towns / cities then any of the main ones are good - partic Leon. If you like small out if the way places then any sweet and attractive village is the place for you. Or a rest day that has a side trip- as long as it’s not to far. I’m sure the rest of the posts have lots of info.

I would recommend the rest days in places you like over walking on to Fisterra. Reason being: many find that they forget the details as one walking day blurs into another. Until you *get to Fisterra* those last 3 days don't have much to distinguish them from each other.... and then 6 months after your trip there is that feeling of "Was it Logrono or Viana where I...?" or "Was that in Punta de la Reina, or in Estella?" ... and "Why on earth didn't I stay in Molinaseca?" or something like that...
Buen Camino!!
I think this probably varies person to person. I arrived in each town early enough in the day each day to do my afternoon rituals (make bed, shower, do laundry, take a nap)... then I had plenty of time to explore each town I stayed in before going to dinner, gathering laundry, and sleeping. I didn't feel the need to take a full day off anywhere (even though I did in Burgos/Leon and Oviedo on the Norte/Primitivo). My rest days left me feeling unsettled once I finished wandering town during the morning hours.

For me... especially after the Frances route... I found the last 100km to be way too busy and hectic and commercial that if I had ended my Frances in Santiago and didn't do Finisterre/Muxia - I would not have left in the same peaceful state of mind that I was put back into after walking on to Muxia and Finisterre. I couldn't stand Sarria to Santiago. I did like Santiago itself - but I needed that walk to the Sea as the perfect end to my Camino. I didn't need rest days, but I did need a combination of long and short days.

And I am sure others feel as you do as well. Which is why I say "stop when and if you feel inspired to stop or physically need the break" but don't feel you HAVE to stop for a rest day if you are going along doing just fine without the rest day.

Hello
We walked last May 1 to June 8, and built in 4 extra rest days. We loved them all and had previously been to 2 of these places.
Estella
Santa Domingo de La Calzada- we were there during their feast days to celebrate Santo Domingo.
Carrion de Los Condes
Astorga
Have a wonderful walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino!!
I'm familiar with this--I haven't done anything quite like the Camino before, but I did a 4.5 month bicycle tour once (the kind where you carry your own things on the bicycle and camp most nights). It was just me and my then-boyfriend, and most of our rest days were in various towns/cities while staying with friends. But some of them weren't very restful, as we were playing tourist and doing day hikes in places like Glacier National Park (in Montana) and Waterton National Park (in Alberta). There was even once our "rest" day had us bicycling 8miles straight uphill (to Lake Louise), but we didn't have the panniers on the bicycles so it felt easy!

(I say I haven't done anything like the Camino, but honestly cycling on the Icefields Parkway in Banff/Jasper national parks in Canada has a lot in common with the Camino--there's hostels every 30/40 miles, so on a bicycle you're done by halfway through the day, and hanging out at the hostel with the same people you saw last night. It was the best part of that long trip, and the part I most want to do again! It's really spectacular.)

But yeah, my ex-boyfriend and I, when we do hang out, end up waxing poetic about that trip (which was in 2011), and saying things like "was that yurt in someone's backyard in Washington or Idaho?" "What province did your chain break and we had to hitchhike into the next town?" Thankfully we did both keep blogs, so we can usually figure it out! The section where the days ran together the most was the prairie provinces: Jasper to Edmonton to Saskatoon to Winnipeg (after which we headed south to Duluth and Minneapolis). We did stop in every larger town for a few days. But we probably spent about two months of that trip bicycling along the Yellowhead Highway, as rolling plains got flatter and flatter and we passed field after field of cows and canola and lentils dotted with oil wells, and the days between the cities really do blend together. Every time I read about the Meseta, all I can think is "it's going to be a bit like the prairie provinces," by which I mean flatter, much fewer trees, more rural, and a little monotonous. But on the upside I know I can handle it!

(this...got long. sorry. lol.)

I think this probably varies person to person. I arrived in each town early enough in the day each day to do my afternoon rituals (make bed, shower, do laundry, take a nap)... then I had plenty of time to explore each town I stayed in before going to dinner, gathering laundry, and sleeping. I didn't feel the need to take a full day off anywhere (even though I did in Burgos/Leon and Oviedo on the Norte/Primitivo). My rest days left me feeling unsettled once I finished wandering town during the morning hours.

For me... especially after the Frances route... I found the last 100km to be way too busy and hectic and commercial that if I had ended my Frances in Santiago and didn't do Finisterre/Muxia - I would not have left in the same peaceful state of mind that I was put back into after walking on to Muxia and Finisterre. I couldn't stand Sarria to Santiago. I did like Santiago itself - but I needed that walk to the Sea as the perfect end to my Camino. I didn't need rest days, but I did need a combination of long and short days.

And I am sure others feel as you do as well. Which is why I say "stop when and if you feel inspired to stop or physically need the break" but don't feel you HAVE to stop for a rest day if you are going along doing just fine without the rest day.
Makes sense. How long does it take from Santiago to Finisterre please?

- but I needed that walk to the Sea as the perfect end to my Camino.
Yeah, I admit I do want to have that last little walk to the ocean. This is...probably not going to make a ton of sense, but: One of my favorite names for the Virgin Mary is "Star of the Sea" (Stella Maris), in part because I had a (very Catholic) great-aunt named Stella who was kind to me as a child. Stars and being near the sea have been one of those long-running spiritually meaningful themes in my life, and even knowing one of the explanations for Santiago de Compostela's origin relates to a "field of stars" felt like part of that connection. If I need to take the bus from Santiago to Finisterre I will, but I'm hoping to walk!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I suggest saving the rest days until you are underway, which means not reserving more than a few days in advance. If you don't use them up, you'll have that extra time in Santiago. But if you need them before, then at least you have them - either to make some short days or an extra night in one city!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Trecile how many days from Santiago to finisterre please
It's 90 km, which is usually split into 3 or 4 walking days. I did it in 3 the first time, but 4 was much nicer.
We, too, did the SdC to Fisterra in four days. That year, after walking the Inglés and spending a couple days in SdC, the four days on to Fisterra was a most pleasant walk where we didn’t push ourselves very hard. Arriving at “the end of the earth” was a really special moment and a wonderful way to culminate any Camino.

Makes sense. How long does it take from Santiago to Finisterre please?
Depends on your walking pace, but 3-4 days for most people. And 1 day more if you want to walk to Muxia too. If you don't have time to walk - then there is always the option of taking the bus there and simply relaxing in one of the two towns.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trecile how many days from Santiago to finisterre please
From Santiago to Finisterre or Muxia is 3-4 days for most people, then walking between Finisterre and Muxia can be done in one day (it is a long day though). Saint Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre can be done in around 35 days, give or take, if you walk average pace.

I only took one rest day. I actually find it easier to keep going. The rest day I had was in León which is a great city. I think I still did about 25km walking around it!!!
I suggest saving the rest days until you are underway, which means not reserving more than a few days in advance. If you don't use them up, you'll have that extra time in Santiago. But if you need them before, then at least you have them - either to make some short days or an extra night in one city!

From Santiago to Finisterre or Muxia is 3-4 days for most people, then walking between Finisterre and Muxia can be done in one day (it is a long day though).
@1elantra, you can take two days to walk between Finisterre and Muxia if you want as there is lodging in Lires.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My view, based on my experience this year, is essential to take rest days so you can take time to be and not just be walking - we stayed in Sahagun and Leon. Happy planning.

I am fortunate to have the luxury of time and have no plans beyond having booked accommodation at Borda. I'm just going to walk when I want, take the time to explore and take a day off when I choose. Enjoy your Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For Roncesvalle through Burgos:
Pamplona--try to arrange to get there a few hours early to see Museo de Navarre, cathedral, old wall. At night, go to the nonstop tapas bars close to Jesus y Maria municipal hostel.
Viana--1/2 day at the end of the day to just relax, enjoy the vibe, see Iglesia de Santa Maria, etc
Najero--allow 1-2 hours to see Monasterio Santa Maria de la Real with burial places of kings, queens, knights; adjacent is the pantheon and cave
Santa Domingo--1/2 day--beautiful, shopping including outdoor gear store, church. If you want to splurge occasionally, a Parador hotel is in the historic area (reservations usually required).
Burgos--incredible cathedral, hotels, restaurants in historic area. My 2nd most favorite town behind Santiago. I rec spending an extra night here.

For Roncesvalle through Burgos:
Pamplona--try to arrange to get there a few hours early to see Museo de Navarre, cathedral, old wall. At night, go to the nonstop tapas bars close to Jesus y Maria municipal hostel.
Viana--1/2 day at the end of the day to just relax, enjoy the vibe, see Iglesia de Santa Maria, etc
Najero--allow 1-2 hours to see Monasterio Santa Maria de la Real with burial places of kings, queens, knights; adjacent is the pantheon and cave
Santa Domingo--1/2 day--beautiful, shopping including outdoor gear store, church. If you want to splurge occasionally, a Parador hotel is in the historic area (reservations usually required).
Burgos--incredible cathedral, hotels, restaurants in historic area. My 2nd most favorite town behind Santiago. I rec spending an extra night here.
Thanks thats very helpful. Appreciate it

Thanks thats very helpful. Appreciate it
I see you are starting in SJPP. If you don’t hike a lot, including ascents and descents, I would highly recommend staying overnight at Orrison.It only takes about 3 1/2 hours (so you may want to leave SJPP around 11 am, but the next day may take up to 7 hours. Otherwise you may really hurt for the next 3 to 4 days!! Just be sure to make a reservation for Orrison, check a few days before you leave, then again the day before or day of to reconfirm— if you will get in after 2 pm, you may want to let them know. The night time common dinner is good—and you can buy a bocadillo (sandwich for the next day).

I didn't take any rest days, however, I did have a few days that were short days for various reasons. The one day was really hot so we stopped at an Albergue with a pool. The other day was going into Leon was because I had to walk farther the day before because I couldn't get a bed in Mansilla.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We received some great advice from the American Pilgrims group while planning our trip. They recommended one rest day in Pamplona. It is a great place to visit, some fun sights, and a good rest after your first few days. After that - stop when you feel you need a rest. We stopped early a couple days, and did spend an extra day in Astorga - simply because we were SO tired. You will have days like that. Give yourself some grace and rest when you need it. Other than my Pamplona advice - listen to your body.

If you have not thought about it, and if it is open. Staying the first night in Orisson to break up the trip over the Pyrennes, is one of the best decisions we ever made. We met our Camino family that day.

Enjoy the journey.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.