• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest time during Stage

Vaughan Bell

Time of past OR future Camino
May - June 2018
Having a debate with some experienced hikers here in Australia before going to France to commence the Camino Frances trek on 6 May. They say it is not advisable to take your shoes/boots or socks off if having a rest break or part way through a Stage before starting up again. Any views on this please.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Vaughan, different people have different views on this topic. If your feet are OK as not sprained, I don't see any issues with removing your boots to let your feet breathe. If you've twisted your ankle and your foot is swelling, probably not a good idea as you might not get your foot wear back on. As I'm leaving SJPDP on the 11 May, I might see you on the Camino. Cheers Pete

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can’t see why it would be a problem besides for swelling (as stated above). Could be a good opportunity to check any hotspots or make adjustments to prevent future problems too.

And surely you won’t deprive yourself of being able to rest your feet in a lovely stream halfway through a stage!

Also leaving St Jean on 11th May-ish. See you out there!

Do a longish day, 25 - 30kM say, in hot weather. Try taking them off at rest stops then repeat but leaving them on, you will soon know if there is a benefit to you and that is the important point "to you". We are all different. Do the tests before you go but when you are there don't be dogmatic, things change but having tried the above you will know your feet better.

Another vote for shoes/boots off during breaks any longer than 10 minutes, especially when it's hot and feet get sweaty. I also apply a very thin covering of vaseline, worked for me.

Hope you stay blister free.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've walked two Caminos SJPDP to Finisterre and I've only had one blister. I got that blister on a hot day when I didn't take the time to take my shoes and socks off during a break.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that taking shoes off during a break is essential! KT tape made an excellent barrier so that my bandaid would not fall off!!!
my feet.JPG

I know lots of people take them off as a blister prevention routine. However, if you already have bad blisters, especially on the heel, you may want to be careful taking them off so as not to aggravate the blister. Just a learning from something that seemed to cause my son a lot of pain a few times on our Camino, for what it's worth.

Yes, if you are going to take your shoes off, do it outside and stay outside. No one wants a bunch of stinky feet in their bar :)

I like to take my boots off during breaks - I do this on the Camino and on hikes at home. My feet always feel refreshed and less tired after being outside of my shoes for a bit. A little cooling off and airing out is helpful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is nothing wrong with taking off your shoes/boots while walking/hiking long distances and checking on your feet, changing socks, massaging your feet, rubbing lotion or vaseline on them, soaking them in a cold creek or river, etc. You could do it every hour with no negative effects.
If one's feet have swelled so badly that it is both difficult to remove or put back on their footwear, I would say a medical condition exists that needs to be addressed.

A myth i think. Their boots must be too small !

For a long walk like a Camino, most people buy larger than normal footwear. Because your feet swell. Ours are 1.5 sizes larger than normal.

We always air our feet a couple of times a day and often do a sock change too. Prevents blisters. Never had any....

Ask those who say never take your boots off, if they ever get blisters ???

It is my understanding that blisters are caused by a combination of heat, friction, and moisture. If that is true, then taking off your shoes can help reduce 2 of the 3 causes. Seems like a really good method for reducing blisters to me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having a debate with some experienced hikers here in Australia before going to France to commence the Camino Frances trek on 6 May. They say it is not advisable to take your shoes/boots or socks off if having a rest break or part way through a Stage before starting up again. Any views on this please.

G'day @Vaughan Bell . On longer stages / warmer (to very warm) days I nearly always take my boots off when I stop for a coffee/drink/snack/lunch. I wear two pairs of sock - the thin 5 toe liner socks and then a thicker out - so I aim to allow any moisture inside the boots to escape and if its a longer stop (lunch) I take the outer socks off as well. Moisture is your foots biggest problem in leading to hot spots and blisters. But this is just a personal choice - so try what works for you. Cheers

i ventilated my feet at any break lasting longer than 10 minutes and usually found by KM 10-15 my socks were damp enough despite well ventilated trail runners that I would want to change for dry ones - the one day I didn't, I ended up with hot spots
no blisters on my trek

Another vote for taking the shoes off when you feel like it :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Someone far brighter than I commented that it is important to let one's toes out every so often so that they can see where they are. I quite like that advice and used it in conjunction with a suggestion from a camino friend on our first trek, who told us that once she began changing her socks every 10K or two hours, she no longer had serious foot problems. My husband and i sat in many a town square with our ugly feet exposed and wet socks pinned to our packs. I required a fair bit of mefix tape to avoid blisters and with sweaty feet it was necessary to reapply and give my feet some love. The first time around I tried vaseline but the second time I went with gold bond powder.

A myth i think. Their boots must be too small !

For a long walk like a Camino, most people buy larger than normal footwear. Because your feet swell. Ours are 1.5 sizes larger than normal.

We always air our feet a couple of times a day and often do a sock change too. Prevents blisters. Never had any....

Ask those who say never take your boots off, if they ever get blisters ???

I rarely remove my shoes during the day and don't suffer from blisters even in Spain in August. I have at least one blessing, non blister prone feet. In my early years of long distance walking, in the days of leather boots as the only choice, I had some enormous, across the sole of the foot blisters, so paid great attention to sock and shoe combinations and general foot care. It has and is paying dividends.

Walking long distances = hot feet = sweaty feet = moist skin = higher propensity for blisters.
At lunchtime boots and socks off, inners inserted lengthways to air, ditto socks in the sun. Toes and feet checked for wear and tear. The wife changes to sandals for the afternoon; I wear hiking sandals as a matter of course. Nothing nicer than sun and fresh air on the extremities.
Even if not removing boots then loosen the laces at rest stops as feet swell during the day.
A caveat - the behaviours above refer to warm and dry days. On cold and wet days we do things differently with an emphasis on drying feet and changing socks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Vaughan.
First I would say that the Camino is a walk and not a trek .
I always take my shoes off except when I'am going inside a bar or ...
It's good for your feet, but this is how I do it.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

As a bush walker of more than 40 years and a fellow Australian I can recommend taking them off three times a day and changing socks at the same time. Pin your wet ' toe rags ' to the outside of your pack and put them back on once dry . No blisters this way and no trouble getting your shoes back on whatsoever .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good luck cobber :)

Will definitely let the feet “breath” on a break

Great advice mate,
Order you coffee , change socks [ avoid moisture] and add vaseline .
This method has stopped my wife getting blisters since 2008
I walk in Echo sandals ,vaseline with socks to commence , half way on each day the socks go.
The last half is always at a leisurely pace as we have accommodation booked.

Don't ask about 2007 as we stuffed up hurrying , took 42 days because of rest days for feet
The following year we took 44 without problems with feet , just took our time and loved every minute.
Have a great Camino Vaughan.

Last edited:
Yes. Also rub vaseline on them and put on dry socks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A reply from a fellow aussie - take your boots off and air your socks in the sun when you can, but don't stop so long that you get 'cold' and the restart is hard. Works in Australia and worked on CF.

This is why training is important before walking the Camino! Try out suggestion from experienced hikers during your training and see if it work for your style of hiking.

-Paul

Yes, stopping for a snack, or for a rest and a snack, off came the boots and socks. To my surprise and delight some folk stopped to take a second look, and even at times to snap a quick photo. Perhaps it was the socks high up on the handles of my walking poles, airing in the fresh air, that prompted the bemused and/or amused attention. I called the arrangement...naturally...my 'wind socks'! Just checking the breeze.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back