• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ReStarting Via Francigena

Thomas Yingst

Tom ... “the kid”
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal. May 2019
OK ... sitting in the airport waiting for a series of flights to Milan to start the second leg of my Via Francigena journey, restarting in Fidenza. Lots has happened over the last months. Found out I will become a first time grandfather, delivery around 10 May (very exciting!!!). So ... I changed my Via plans from May to March. Also, I went through a bout of lumbar back pain. I could hardly get in and out my truck. This has happened before ... but the timing of this happening before my Via walk was, to say the least, a bit inconvenient. After many chiropractic visits and non stop stretching, I’m much better. I got an MRI on my lower back ... turns out I have a severe narrowing where the spinal nerves leave the area between L4 and L5. Other problems as well, but not as severe. In addition, two weeks ago, after walking 13 miles, I was hobbled by heel pain ... the X-ray revealed bone spurs where the Achilles’ tendon inserts onto the heel bone. After lots of stretching and use of orthotics, I am now able to walk with minimal pain. And to top things off, (for crying out loud) ... I also just found out I have shoulder joint arthritis. So ... there it is ... quite a start ... I must really want to do this ...

AF784448-BCCF-411F-9B48-8F934316580C.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What an ordeal! You certainly are determined to do this! Here's to wishing you a safe and healthy and mostly pain free journey. The normal muscle aches and pains are inevitable - but hoping you are able to keep the injuries at bay. Make sure to pace yourself and rest when your body tells you to.

OK ... sitting in the airport waiting for a series of flights to Milan to start the second leg of my Via Francigena journey, restarting in Fidenza. Lots has happened over the last months. Found out I will become a first time grandfather, delivery around 10 May (very exciting!!!). So ... I changed my Via plans from May to March. Also, I went through a bout of lumbar back pain. I could hardly get in and out my truck. This has happened before ... but the timing of this happening before my Via walk was, to say the least, a bit inconvenient. After many chiropractic visits and non stop stretching, I’m much better. I got an MRI on my lower back ... turns out I have a severe narrowing where the spinal nerves leave the area between L4 and L5. Other problems as well, but not as severe. In addition, two weeks ago, after walking 13 miles, I was hobbled by heel pain ... the X-ray revealed bone spurs where the Achilles’ tendon inserts onto the heel bone. After lots of stretching and use of orthotics, I am now able to walk with minimal pain. And to top things off, (for crying out loud) ... I also just found out I have shoulder joint arthritis. So ... there it is ... quite a start ... I must really want to do this ...

View attachment 143189
Wishing you a great Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back