• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Restaurant in Santiago

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Good food in very generous servings at Casa Manolo in Praza de Cervantes. Very popular with local students. And I had a very good and surprisingly cheap menu del dia in the tiny Restaurante Tarara just up the street from the Pilgrim Office. Excellent paella though that is not very Gallego :)

Ha, just goes to show how there's no accounting for tastes. I was going to add Casa Manolo and Tarara as "not recommended." Not at all questioning your recommendation, Bradypus, just noting that restaurant recommendations are oh so personal and individualized!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had my best seafood meals in the "Mercado de Abastos" and I want to reccomand you to go there and have a look.

http://www.santiagoturismo.com/gastronomia-mercado-abastos

It's possible to buy super fresh seafood from the market benches, bring it to the market bar (http://www.mariscomania.com/en/), and they will cook it for you for 5€ per person (cooking, cover, bread and service). Fish and seafood in the market are cheaper than in restaurants as well. The location is also beatiful. Sometimes can be crowded (well, it's Santiago^^) so it's better if you go earlier to buy and then arrange with the bar the hour for the meal. They also cook meat and ye, they dont cook anything but the food people bring them. They serve/sell good wines and desserts tho.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Restaurante San Clemente for traditional approach.
http://www.restaurantesanclemente.com/

Abastos 2.0 for the modern approach.
http://abastoscompostela.com/

Bispo for the tapas.
http://www.atabernadobispo.com/
Do you think we can dine there in our Camino clothes - shorts and t-shirts or will we need a change of clothes?
The place across the street from the new pilgrim office has a great menu del dia for 8e90 including wine. There is a little bit of everything and some traditional dishes.
that sounds good :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
O Gato Negro!!!

You experience must have ben better than mine. I waited for it to open, enjoyed some local blanco in the ceramic cups, but then found there was virtually no food available. Having been round the fish market only a few hours earlier I could not understand how they could have no seafood available.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You experience must have ben better than mine. I waited for it to open, enjoyed some local blanco in the ceramic cups, but then found there was virtually no food available. Having been round the fish market only a few hours earlier I could not understand how they could have no seafood available.
Wow, they had wonderful food when I was there, every kind of seafood and also other things. We were with locals and it was one of the best meals I have had.

@JohnnieWalker is a fantastic source of restaurant recommendations in Santiago ...from a local standpoint.

He usually has a few latest favorites that often change over time.
Hopefully he will join in if he is available.

Ivar also is a good source of current local restaurant recommendations...but out of town at the moment.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And tomorrow morning wander up to the top of Rua de San Pedro and have churros at the wee establishment on your left.

I very much agree with Sabine's recommendations of San Clemente ( for quality and value) Abastos for new and innovative cooking ( although a bit portion challenged for me) and The Obispo on the Rua Franco for tapas.

Add to that list the Securusal in the Plaza San Agustín which will also cook fresh fish and seafood you buy at the market and the Garum for an excellent and varied Menu del Dia and fantastic tapas as well as extensive wines and craft beers.

In the Old Town near Ivar's place the Plaza Mazarelos is worth visiting - the only surviving city gate stands there - through which the city's wine supplies were delivered. There are good terrace restaurants there and the relatively new Puerta do Vino restaurant which is (slightly) more up market.

For fun ( if you don't mind the expense) the Michelin starred Casa Marcelo in the Rua Hortas just off the Obradoiro is worth a visit. And a recent favourite is the Restaurant Hortas opposite which boasts a stunning garden at the back plus modern Galician cuisine cooked by two young chefs who imho have a great future.

In the Rua San Pedro near where the Camino Frances enters the Old Town there is an abundance - Dieciséis has been mentioned and is consistently good and the new neighbouring restaurant A Moa is just excellent - again with a lovely garden. Nearby is one of Santiago's Japanese restaurants if you fancy Sushi.

For that special meal, the restaurant Pedro Roca ( 100 metres from the Pilgrims' Office) is outstanding - Chef Patrón Pedro is very talented and the menu has everything you could want in modern five star cooking.

For an adventure either walk 20 minutes or get a taxi to the O Almacén restaurant which does fantastic fish and meat in enormous portions on a huge wood fired grill.

Hungry yet?

Oh I almost forgot... In the Rua da Porta da Pena the nondescript entrance to the Casa Felisa leads through the bar to a gorgeous garden restaurant. On weekdays they have a Menu del Día as well as a la carte. Well worth a visit.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
LOLs
Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Santiago? Nothing fancy just serving good gallego food.
I know there must be loads but looking for personal recommendations. We will complete the inglés tomorrow :)
So we decided on San Clemente and I had lacón con grelos. Swished down with an alboriño. Perfect for post camiño. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Now, I have to return to Santiago to try all these great places! I have enjoyed El Gato Negro and Taberna do Bispo. I also thought Casa Manolo was good for what they do... hearty, filling, and reasonably tasty. Last time I was in Santiago, I also took a tapas tour called "Devour Galicia."

You must go to el papatorio. The food is so good , long queues. We kept on going back .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Santiago? Nothing fancy just serving good gallego food.
I know there must be loads but looking for personal recommendations. We will complete the inglés tomorrow :)
Not cheap, but exceptional food. Absolutely, Casa Marcelo- right around the corner from the main square at the church and parador.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back