Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Restaurante Lucus in Chantada -- CLOSED

peregrina2000

Staff member
By far the saddest update I got from Chinasky on his recent Invierno was the news that the Bar/Restaurante Lucus in Chantada is permanently closed. I am sure the people of Chantada are in disbelief. That was one great place, and I am very sorry that I have eaten my last meal there. :(

But nothing is forever, and I have a few new recommendations for the guide from Chinasky as well!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am sorry I never wrote about this. They closed straight after Christmas for retirement. It is understandable.
News in Galician.
We loved it too. Our second best place to eat.

I am sorry I never wrote about this. They closed straight after Christmas for retirement. It is understandable.
News in Galician.
Along with Restaurante Aroza in Quiroga, this is (sorry, WAS) one of the best places to eat on the whole Camino de Invierno.

I don't understand why the daughters or grandchildren haven't taken it on!

News in Galician.

Ok, let us in on the secret. Where is your best place to eat? One possibility -- sitting out on the terrace on a summer night at the Casa Santo Estevo and looking across the Minho at the vineyards where the wine you are drinking started out as grapes. And eating Irene's yummy home cooking!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
ours is Casa Pepe, but that is not on the Camino. In Monforte and wish to splash out O'Grelo, below the Parador. For Early evening or midday suggest Polar, in Rúa Cardenal Rodrigo de Castro. Chantada is a little thin on restaurants. Recently there was a pizzeria open location is Rúa Juan XXIII. Yet to try it as one of us is not so keen on Pizza, and that is not me! Another location to eat is Os Pendellos, in the park along Rúa de Benigno Ledo. Enter the park to get to the restruant. It serves pulpo too. The owner of this is also the owner of Capitol near to the square of Plaza de Santa Ana. I do not think meals area available at that bar. Opposite the bar is a Jamonería, Mar & Bellota, they do tasty cheese and ham to go with a glass or wine or beer. But nothing substantial.
We do not normally have a meal in the garden. It is too far away for us to carry everything in and out. So that night will always stick with us as a special meal.

ours is Casa Pepe, but that is not on the Camino. In Monforte and wish to splash out O'Grelo, below the Parador. For Early evening or midday suggest Polar, in Rúa Cardenal Rodrigo de Castro. Chantada is a little thin on restaurants. Recently there was a pizzeria open location is Rúa Juan XXIII. Yet to try it as one of us is not so keen on Pizza, and that is not me! Another location to eat is Os Pendellos, in the park along Rúa de Benigno Ledo. Enter the park to get to the restruant. It serves pulpo too. The owner of this is also the owner of Capitol near to the square of Plaza de Santa Ana. I do not think meals area available at that bar. Opposite the bar is a Jamonería, Mar & Bellota, they do tasty cheese and ham to go with a glass or wine or beer. But nothing substantial.
We do not normally have a meal in the garden. It is too far away for us to carry everything in and out. So that night will always stick with us as a special meal.
Looks like I have my first updates for the 2018 guide! ;)

Looks like I have my first updates for the 2018 guide! ;)

We already have various places mentioned in the guide.

In Monforte, I have eaten in the Polar (along the long pedestrian street, where there are lots of terraces), and up in O Grelo (just past the Parador). The former is reasonable, the latter excellent, although not cheap.

In Chantada, Pulpería Os Pendellos is usually packed out at weekends, but it's a great place if you're patient. A Faragulla, just round the corner from the Hotel Mogay, is a lovely place for drinks, tapas or a meal, but it has weird opening hours: only open for lunch from Monday to Thursday, or for evening meals on Fridays and Saturdays.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, hope springs eternal. At the end of the article, the owner said:

O baixo é noso e gustaríame poder alugalo para que continúe. Daríame moita mágoa velo pechado.

"The ground floor locale is ours and I would be like to be able to rent it so it will continue. It would make me very sad to see it closed."

Fingers crossed!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you put me in the hands of Abu Sajaf organization, I can't remember those places. No way...

Photos of Chantada:
The closed (and for rent) Lucus.
The Policia Local office. This used to be in the town hall.
The Bar Pio Lindo (beside the Motorcycle workshop) is presently closed. I do not know for how long. Presently covered so that the building can be sand ballasted clean.

Thanks, Ian, do you agree that the Bar Pio Lindo (if it is in fact going to reopen) is a good substitute, or at least an acceptable substitute for our beloved Mesón Lucas?

Here's what the 2017 guide says (I'm starting a folder for 2018 updates!):

As you come into town, the first bar, Piolindo, has good food and the manager Rachel is very helpful. Highly recommended by two separate pilgrims! Rachel will help you find your way to the place you want to stay.

Bar Lucus, under the arches near the tourist office, was the only place in Chantada that received unanimous praise. Unfortunately, as of 2017, it is permanently closed. The search for replacements has begun!

One restaurant nearby is the Bar as Amizades on the new main drag, Juan XXIII. 9 € menu; nothing gourmet but totally edible. Pulpería Os Pendellos is fantastic, too, but be ready for crowds. Rúa de Benigno Ledo, 13.

We only have eaten meals at a few locations in Chantada. Lucus was always first call, especially midday great value.
Mondays, it seems, hard to find restaurants or bars open in Chantada. Learnt about one just this week which is Restaurante Bohemia. Location Calle Usio Novoneira No. 5. From the tourist centre just keep walking cross the "parking "square keep on going up hill and it is on the left. We was told it is more of a Pizza place than anything else. In the Paginas Amarillas (yellow Pages) it is down as both traditional and Italian cuisine.
Personally did not know it existed until last Monday. I can remember the gas bottle shop and a bakery. But when I am driving I cannot look at the shops. Or I tend to hit the kerb! Only a few times have I a need to walk up there, until now!

Can I make a suggestion/change? The restaurant in Calle de Juan XXIII is, as far as I know called Mesón Amistade

I have seen many bars up in Rua Uxio Novoneyra, . But never visited then either.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back