• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Restaurants between Sarria and Santiago

fornazari

Time of past OR future Camino
25/09/2023
Ill do the camino in september:
Day 1: Sarria
Day 2: Portomarin
Day 3: Palas de Rei
Day 4: Melide
Day 5: O Pedrouzo
Day 6: Santiago

What restaurants do you suggest in each city?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What are you looking for? There’s a wealth of places that offer perfectly acceptable food at reasonable prices. Are you asking for somewhere exceptional? There’s a scattering of Michelin stars and a few Bib Gourmand but most places just feed pilgrims: some protein, some carbs, a bit of salad
Galícian food! Simple and tasty!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Follow the locals.Especially on a Sunday.
Indeed. In Melide if you want a good hearty meal try Sony, rúa Codeseira, 41, which is a short walk from the Xunta albergue. Road workers, police, and lorry drivers eat here as did I during many caminos. They had good food, friendly service, low prices and much macho atmosphere

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ill do the camino in september:
Day 1: Sarria
Day 2: Portomarin
Day 3: Palas de Rei
Day 4: Melide
Day 5: O Pedrouzo
Day 6: Santiago

What restaurants do you suggest in each city?

I'm not sure I'd class any of these places as Cities :rolleyes:
In Portomarin we always like https://omiradorportomarin.com/

A good spot to have a drink or meal just east of Palas de Rei is La Cabane. Their wide veranda/bar is particularly relaxing. Rooms with private facilities are also available, but I usually stayed in the nearby Xunta albergue, Os Chacotes, on the edge of a sports ground

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I can recommend many of the pulpederias on the way- just follow the local crowd.

On Tuesday I was a beneficiary of the free meal to the daily first ten into the pilgrim office. You've got to be early but it is worth it! Restaurant Enxebre at the Hostal Reis Catolicos is an experience. After Pilgrim mass, the offering was a traditional menu full of flavour & authenticity- empanada, Galician soup, paella, Tarta de Santiago, house wines, bread & great company- probably one of the best ways to finish the Camino.

I'm not sure I'd class any of these places as Cities :rolleyes:
In Portomarin we always like https://omiradorportomarin.com/
Be mindful of days and times the place is open. As much as I heard about O Mirador and was really looking forwards to eating there it didnt happen for me. Partially this was due to the fact that I was passing through Portomarin (my stage that day was Ferreiros to Castromaior) and so when i showed up at the door at 10:00 and on Monday to boot, the door was promptly closed (IIRC they were opening at 13:00 and obviously I was not going to hang around for 3 hours just foa meal no matter how good)

I always make it a point to hit Pulperia A Garnacha in Melide - kind of a ritual for me.
Pulperia A Garnacha was a hit with me and other folks in the group. Our server Juan was a HOOT and Pulpo - absolutely DELISH!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A good spot to have a drink or meal just east of Palas de Rei is La Cabane. Their wide veranda/bar is particularly relaxing. Rooms with private facilities are also available, but I usually stayed in the nearby Xunta albergue, Os Chacotes, on the edge of a sports ground
This actually WAS a beautiful place. Last year it has been burned down to the bottom. Very sad, it was indeed my favorite place. I live there now.. The hostel who was at the same place is still open.
For the rest of Palas: it might have some qualities but I am afraid nice restaurants are not one of them.

This actually WAS a beautiful place. Last year it has been burned down to the bottom. Very sad, it was indeed my favorite place. I live there now.. The hostel who was at the same place is still open.
For the rest of Palas: it might have some qualities but I am afraid nice restaurants are not one of them.
Thomas1962,
Your update is such sad news. The hot link in my post above and repeated here is to the current web for La Cabane which shows the place in operation.

Last edited:
Thomas1962,
Your update is such sad news. The hot link in my post above and repeated here is to the current web for La Cabane which shows the place in operation.
i saw it too and was very surprised. As far as I know there are plans to rebuild it but this was the reality a few months ago.

.327566813_5946810105445539_7461986863428318389_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My daughters joined me in Sarria. At that point my preference for the peregrine meals was overruled. Here are some of our favorites:
Potomarin - After checking in at the albergue, we went to Mirador to see if we could get a reservation. The people in front of us got the last one, but they recommended we try the restaurant Perez. After wandering around the town we went there. The family was just sitting down to dinner. They told us they would open at 7:30. They sold its a bottle of wine and offered to let us sit on the patio until they opened. After a while another group of pilgrims wandered by. The bartender came out and served them a bottle of wine and allowed them to wait. Not too long after that, a third group came and sat outside with wine as well. It was a very pleasant way to spend time before dinner. We glanced at the garden in the back and saw a woman cutting lettuce from the plants. The salad that soon arrived. The meal was excellent and the experience turned a disappointment into a highlight.

Melide - We spent the night in another town a few hours away. Stayed at a hotel that included breakfast. A very large tour group was there. They got all the breakfast seats and decided to stay in the seats until their bus arrived. After nearly an hour, we gave up and left the waiting line and headed out. We got to Melide and headed to the Pulperia Ezequiel. We got there just as they opened. Delicious octopus and wine ended up being a great breakfast. Once again frustration turned into a highlight.

O Pedrouzo - We ate at the cafe-bar O Pedrouzo. We were curious about the meat cooked on a rock. The steak was delicious. Service was great and because we were sharing, the meal turned out to be not that expensive for the 4 of us.

Be mindful of days and times the place is open. As much as I heard about O Mirador and was really looking forwards to eating there it didnt happen for me. Partially this was due to the fact that I was passing through Portomarin (my stage that day was Ferreiros to Castromaior) and so when i showed up at the door at 10:00 and on Monday to boot, the door was promptly closed (IIRC they were opening at 13:00 and obviously I was not going to hang around for 3 hours just foa meal no matter how good)

Pulperia A Garnacha was a hit with me and other folks in the group. Our server Juan was a HOOT and Pulpo - absolutely DELISH!
Where did you stay in Castromaior? We passed thru there last year and I would love to stay overnight there this year.

Where did you stay in Castromaior? We passed thru there last year and I would love to stay overnight there this year.
Dem,
For two possibilities in Castromaior check out this Gronze entry.

During past caminos I never stayed in Castromaior but always in three nearby places: east of Castromaior in the hamlet of Gonzar the albergue municipal and the private albergue Casa Garcia; west of Castromaior the albergue de peregrinos at Hospital da Cruz.
Good luck with your plans and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Dem,
For two possibilities in Castromaior check out this Gronze entry.

During past caminos I never stayed in Castromaior but always in three nearby places: east of Castromaior in the hamlet of Gonzar the albergue municipal and the private albergue Casa Garcia; west of Castromaior the albergue de peregrinos at Hospital da Cruz.
Good luck with your plans and Buen camino!
We stayed at Casa Garcia in Gonzar. Nice place. Good restaurant.

Thomas,
Thank you for bringing this sad reality to my and the forum's attention.
Where was that fire damage photo published?

On Google maps this is shown for La
La Cabaña as 9 days ago.

La Cabana consists of three different wooden buildings. Two of them are for sleeping, they still exist and are (or will be) still open. The building with the restaurant is burned down. People need to go to Palas (about 1 km further on the camino) to have dinner or breakfast.
Who knows the building will be built up very fast again the coming months, let us hope so.
Tomorrow I will pass the place and will make a new picture.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thomas,
Thank you for this update and clarification. I join you in hoping that that a new resto will soon be built. That large porch was such a nice feature.

Indeed. In Melide if you want a good hearty meal try Sony, rúa Codeseira, 41, which is a short walk from the Xunta albergue. Road workers, police, and lorry drivers eat here as did I during many caminos. They had good food, friendly service, low prices and much macho atmosphere
What is the name of the restaurant in Melide? Sony???

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree. … not my favorite dining town either

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.