• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Restaurants in Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A couple of excellent tapas bars/restaurants can be found along Rua do Franco just steps from the cathedral. In addition to an excellent selection of tapas, the camraderie with fellow pilgrims, locals, and visitors to SdC is great fun. Prices are reasonable and we’ve never walked away from either bar hungry or feeling that we had broken the bank just to eat there. Always must stop places for us when in SdC. Warning, they are popular places sometimes with a line of people waiting to get in.

There are lots of threads that have recommendations, but I will add two caveats — recommendations are oh so personal and you may not like what others like and vice versa. The other thing is that restaurants open and close and change management frequently. For instance, two of my favorite places in Santiago — Bodeguilla San Roque and O Dezaseis — are now permanently closed. :mad:

I have never heard a bad word about the Mercado de Abastos. Reservations recommended for sure.

Anyway, take a look at some of these threads:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are lots of threads that have recommendations, but I will add two caveats — recommendations are oh so personal and you may not like what others like and vice versa. The other thing is that restaurants open and close and change management frequently. For instance, two of my favorite places in Santiago — Bodeguilla San Roque and O Dezaseis — are now permanently closed. :mad:

I have never heard a bad word about the Mercado de Abastos. Reservations recommended for sure.

Anyway, take a look at some of these threads:

Abastos 2.0 was phenomenal (June 2022). Not only was the food extradinary but the staff were the lovlist people we met in our 3 weeks of touring Spain ... a very special experience.

Abastos 2.0 was phenomenal (June 2022). Not only was the food extradinary but the staff were the lovlist people we met in our 3 weeks of touring Spain ... a very special experience.
Did you have a reservation? I was unable to get in on the spur of the moment, and I wondered about how far in advance I would have had to reserve. This was early October, so I imagine that in higher tourist times it can be a challenge.

No reservations. Just lucky, I guess. Really, LUCKY. For those following this thread, Abastos has an outdoor bar & dining option which is part of the SdC central market. We stumbled upon the indoor dining room and were thrilled to have been seated (OK, I had seen several very nice reviews on TripAdvisor).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Been a couple of times to the Abastos 2.0 outdoor area and always been able to get a seat. Maybe with a minute or five of waiting. To my dismay i have to admit, i was not aware of the inside area having a different type of gastronomy going, but after hearing that, i know what i will aim for next time I'm around...

Another thing i would love to try is Casa Marcelo, just a few steps from the cathedral and recommended in this book from the rubberman. However on my first time in Santiago I did not know about it, and the second time i did not know the right people to appreciate it (it costs a bit more than the average place unfortunately). And I will under no circumstance have a sit down meal by myself if i can avoid it.

Been a couple of times to the Abastos 2.0 outdoor area and always been able to get a seat. Maybe with a minute or five of waiting. To my dismay i have to admit, i was not aware of the inside area having a different type of gastronomy going, but after hearing that, i know what i will aim for next time I'm around...

Another thing i would love to try is Casa Marcelo, just a few steps from the cathedral and recommended in this book from the rubberman. However on my first time in Santiago I did not know about it, and the second time i did not know the right people to appreciate it (it costs a bit more than the average place unfortunately). And I will under no circumstance have a sit down meal by myself if i can avoid it.

Sorry to hear that you are not a fan of a sit down meal by yourself.
Of course company makes the food/ experience even more wonderful but eating solo in a resto is not that bad either. Of course no sharing of experiences nor ideas but it certainly does not have to be a sad affair. All comes down to mindset.
And as a woman I more often than not had small groups of people next to me who started a conversation with me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The other thing is that restaurants open and close and change management frequently. For instance, two of my favorite places in Santiago — Bodeguilla San Roque and O Dezaseis — are now permanently closed. :mad:
mmunity/threads/restaurant-cafe-recommendations-in-santiago.30821/[/URL]

The last thread you linked was from 2019, so pre-covid. Maybe it's time for a fresh thread of restaurants! :D I've been planning my camino for February and would like to dive into restaurant scene more than I have before.

I had a wonderful solo dining experience in Casa Marcelo when i was volunteering in SdC in 2019. After finishing my shift I decided to pop down and check out the place as had noticed queues out of the door most lunchtimes. I was awaiting about 20-30 minutes to be seated, reading the menu and had decided by the time they came to seat me that it wasn't a suitable place for a solo dinner. I explained this and they said it was absolutely no problem, they would tailor the servings for me. The chef came out to chat, checked did i have any good allergies /loathing (i eat almost everything, struggle with offal) and very memorably asked me did i trust him... I'm so glad I said yes! I was treated to a magnificence meal and i never knew what was about to be put in front of me. If i recall correctly, an oyster to start then the most zingy amazing tomato-y tomato salad, steak tartare, a fabulous dessert. It was absolutely fabulous, a great memory and dining solo allowed me to fully concentrate on the food. (and people watch/eavesdrop!! 😂)

It was a really wonderful experience and in the end i was glad I was on my own. I didn't have any idea of how much the lunch would be but I was happy and able to pay for it - if another volunteer had been with me i probably would have felt stressed or guiltily for costing them so much money. The bill came to less than €50 including 2 wines, dessert and i ate like a lord. (in a similar restaurant in Dublin it would have been at least twice that)

Not an everyday dining experience but one I would recommend if you can afford it and are into food.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back