• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Restaurants in SJPP?

Time of past OR future Camino
23 May (2016)
Another pilgrim and I will be arriving via train in SJPP on Saturday evening, 21 May, arriving at 19.12. Hiking over to hotel/albergue will get us checked in around 19.45, and then...the hunt for food.

We are dismayed at the number of restaurants who post a closing time (closing!) at 19.30, but many of the restaurants/cafes have no closing time posted at all.

For all you recently experienced Pilgrims, are we going to run into trouble finding an open restaurant at 20.00 or 20.30 on a Saturday night? Any recommendations?

Thanks, all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Stay in Bayonne. Find a burger joint. Catch a train to SJPdP in the morning.

On my day of travel the French were having strikes.

I was already feeling like I'd been pulled backward through a hedge even though I had taken a night in Stansted after traveling from Vancouver.

The train arrived in SJPdP about an hour late and after dark.

The folks at the pilgrim office were able to direct me to an open restaurant with excellent Basque food. I closed the place so was lucky to get that. Everything else was closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay in Bayonne. Find a burger joint. Catch a train to SJPdP in the morning.

On my day of travel the French were having strikes.

I was already feeling like I'd been pulled backward through a hedge even though I had taken a night in Stansted after traveling from Vancouver.

The train arrived in SJPdP about an hour late and after dark.

The folks at the pilgrim office were able to direct me to an open restaurant with excellent Basque food. I closed the place so was lucky to get that. Everything else was closed.
Whari, thanks for your comment, but what month were you there?
J.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Restaurants OPEN at 1900 to 2100. Fast food may close earlier. Casa Manolo, maybe the best pilgrim menu on the Camino does not open until 1900. You should find it open when you arrive. Buen camino.

Another pilgrim and I will be arriving via train in SJPP on Saturday evening, 21 May, arriving at 19.12. Hiking over to hotel/albergue will get us checked in around 19.45, and then...the hunt for food.

We are dismayed at the number of restaurants who post a closing time (closing!) at 19.30, but many of the restaurants/cafes have no closing time posted at all.

For all you recently experienced Pilgrims, are we going to run into trouble finding an open restaurant at 20.00 or 20.30 on a Saturday night? Any recommendations?

Thanks, all!
When in Spain...;) Many locals do not dine until 10pm. I' m sure you'll find something. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jennifer, if your train is on time you will have no trouble fitting in a meal. The walk from the train station to the center of the town is about 15 minutes. The Pilgrim's Office is open late enough to receive all the pilgrims on the last train of the day. They are also open at 7:30am the next morning, so you could wait until the next day to go get your credencial, stamp, and info for the walk over the Pyrenees.

When I lead groups from SJPP, we are always there on a Saturday night, and we usually eat at Hurrup eta Klik. They serve a pilgrims menu plus a la carte items - tasty food at reasonable prices. There are plenty of other places that will be open, but you will probably be most successful if you drop your bags at the hotel and head straight out to eat.

But why worry at all - when on the Camino I leave my Michelin guide at home and instead I can survive on lots of liquid, some chocolate and bread/cold meat from supermercados
A friend of mine went to San Sebastian to enjoy some of their world-famous three-star restaurants; I found a supermercado and then kept on walking

But why worry at all - when on the Camino I leave my Michelin guide at home and instead I can survive on lots of liquid, some chocolate and bread/cold meat from supermercados
A friend of mine went to San Sebastian to enjoy some of their world-famous three-star restaurants; I found a supermercado and then kept on walking

Because if the restaurants are closed ... so is the supermercado.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What I also meant is that they should have ample opportunity to eat/buy food earlier on the Saturday rather than waiting for the evening - in Bayonne, for example - or at lunchtime
Ouch, Spursfan...

If we had "ample opportunity" anywhere else, of course that's what we would have done. I'm taking the morning train from Paris and presuming my train is perfectly on time, I arrive in Bayonne only a few short minutes before the train departs for SJPP. My companion is arriving on a different train from Lourdes a bit earlier and is taking the same train to SJPP.

So I understand your need to chastise me about planning for food better, but you're telling me I should have thought to go to a market in Paris the night before to buy my groceries.
What I was looking for, instead, was a kind recommendation for a late-open restaurant in SJPP so I DON'T have to buy groceries 22 hours before.

Further complicating is that my companion is starting his Camino on Sunday morning, and I am starting on Monday morning, rendezvousing in Roncesvalles, which is why we really wanted a restaurant together, not a grocery store.

Some of the restaurants say they are "Ouvert 17 heures-19h30" which from my admittedly poor French indicates they close at 19.30, not that they open at 19.30.

I am grateful for positive responses about cafes that are ouvrir entre 19.30 jusqu'à ... plus tard
Thanks to anyone who has recommended an actual restaurant, and buen camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Jennifer, if your train is on time you will have no trouble fitting in a meal. The walk from the train station to the center of the town is about 15 minutes. The Pilgrim's Office is open late enough to receive all the pilgrims on the last train of the day. They are also open at 7:30am the next morning, so you could wait until the next day to go get your credencial, stamp, and info for the walk over the Pyrenees.

When I lead groups from SJPP, we are always there on a Saturday night, and we usually eat at Hurrup eta Klik. They serve a pilgrims menu plus a la carte items - tasty food at reasonable prices. There are plenty of other places that will be open, but you will probably be most successful if you drop your bags at the hotel and head straight out to eat.

Thank you, Nryen - I'll scratch this down.
The key, of course, is "if your train is on time!" When it comes to trains, France/Spain is NOT Switzerland, alas... :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Restaurants OPEN at 1900 to 2100. Fast food may close earlier. Casa Manolo, maybe the best pilgrim menu on the Camino does not open until 1900. You should find it open when you arrive. Buen camino.

Falcon, having spent much time in Europe, I understand that traditionally the restaurants open late. However many cafe websites in SJPP say " "Ouvert 17 h.-19h30" which indicates they close at 19.30, not that they open at 19.30.:confused:

However, thanks so much for reference to Cafe Manolo!:)

Jennifer
Apologies for chiding you - here's a tip in reply - once you're in Spain the lunchtime "menu del dia" is likely to be better than the pilgrim menu

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back