• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Restrictions on Cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
Yes , when I am voted in as President of Spain, the following restrictions will be inforced on all Caminos.
1. Cyclists caught cycling on narrow path meant for Pilgrims on foot - 500 euro fine which will be donated to a Parroquail Albergue , bike confiscated and destroyed.
2. Cyclists caught without bell - 1000 hours toilet cleaning at large municipal Albergue in July, bike confiscated and destroyed.
3. Cyclists caught speeding - public flogging , bike confiscated and destroyed.
4. Cyclists caught with no bell and speeding -face firingsquad the same day of offence commited , bike confiscated and destroyed.
He He - Any Cyclists out there? :mrgreen:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
5. Cyclist caught yelling ''Buen camino'' in the back of a Pilgrim on foot - All teeth pulled out, bike confiscated and destroyed. :mrgreen:

Hater,
Jean-Marc

I'm sure you had a good Laugh at my jest but man , Amigo , :mrgreen: did you make my day with your reply - excellent - thank you :mrgreen:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't destroy all those bikes! What did the bikes do to you? Destroy the cyclists instead!

It should be a condition for cyclists on the Camino that their bikes have bells, wouldn't add much to the weight, and elliptical wheels. :twisted:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
:D I'm compiling a handbook - please may I include these in the section for cyclists!!!

Hi all,
I have both cycled and walked the Camino so can see things from both sides.
While walking, wearing my kilt, I was overtaken by a fast moving, well spaced out, string of 5 cyclists. I had no warning of their approach and the first brushed my shoulder as she passed. I was still cursing as Nos. 2/3/4 passed. No.5 skidded to a stop and fumbled for his camera to take a photo of the strange being he had narrowly avoided running over.
Let joy be unrestrained - he dropped and smashed his camera.
I don't think he appreciated my laughter and rode off looking sorry for himself.
Dael

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok..do I dare broach this subject..hummmm oh, why not!

As a cyclist, I...shaking in my cycling shoes I have to say... I agree with you!!!
When I'm on large group rides nothing on earth is more irritating to say nothing of dangerous, than being passed by a bunch of wannabe Lance Armstrongs, flying by w/o what should always be good cycling ettiquete...the shout out ...On your left! Esp. when there's a group of 5!

So I have another item to add to the list...take away their biking shorts..give them regular shorts..preferably denim...with lots of seams!! After two days with these, they will join the rest of us on foot, while walking like bowlegged cowboys! :twisted:

Looking forward to WALKING my next camino, Karin

The worst behaved cyclists I encountered were in a commercial group with a Spanish guide. The guide was too busy trying to show them his hotshot skills to teach them any trail etiquitte.

Perhaps you should suggest all your violent fantacies to tour leaders. The cyclists on this board are pretty good at peacefully sharing our trail.

I easily cycle over 100 miles/week btwn commuting to work, grocery shopping, errands and a weekend outing. Somehow I resisted the urge to cycle the Camino. Thank GOD I did!! I would've missed so much of what is special about the Camino, especially the bonds that build between pilgrims over the course of several days and weeks. Cyclists you see once and then they are gone. Either you meet them in the albergue at the end of the day and they're still sleeping when you leave, or they whizz by you leaving you with nothing but a racing pulse (from the shock of it) and an image of their backside. I guess, in the end, that's a good thing as there were very few "Buena vistas" that rode by us. So in addition to the above list of scofflaws, I would add:

Overweight cyclists caught in undersized spandex should be fined, flogged and then forced-marched into Santiago. They'd lose more weight, and gain a better understanding of what the Camino is really all about.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Nandy61 said:
Overweight cyclists caught in undersized spandex should be fined, flogged and then forced-marched into Santiago. They'd lose more weight, and gain a better understanding of what the Camino is really all about.

This tread just keeps getting better. I thought I knew what the Camino was about. Never dreamed I missed out on all the urges to abuse and torture other pilgrims. All I got from all my bike trips was respect and affection for them.

I guess the daily race to the albergue induced this angry streak. Good thing that when full, cyclists are effectively banned from those places.

Is it really that bad? Cyclists be warned, I am not above knowingly cutting you off. Hey, as both a walker and driver in a city that is filled with cyclists, I have a low tolerance for uncivilized pedaling goons.

CaminoGen said:
Cyclists be warned, I am not above knowingly cutting you off. .

Now threats to deliberately try to injure pilgrims on bikes!. What sort of people are out there? I guess they take their inspiration from St. James chopping up the heathen Moors.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Remember , I only despise Cyclists that are ignorant and endanger other pilgrims ; those Cyclists that speed , have no bell to warn pilgrims of their presence and those that insist on using a small path that is meant for a person on foot. HOWEVER ,you have given me another idea .
1. Cyclist who injures Pilgrim on foot through ignorance and carelessness - head chopped off , bike confiscated and destroyed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RENSHAW said:
, I only despise Cyclists that are ignorant and endanger other pilgrims.
1. Cyclist who injures Pilgrim on foot through ignorance and carelessness - head chopped off , bike confiscated and destroyed:

I guess I feel sorry for anyone who has to carry around that much vindictive spite. Don't work with the ignorant, joke about killing them.

One thing you should have learned on the Camino, is that your gear is enough baggage to carry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, you guys are tough. Your stupid quips about what to do with bikers sure demonstrates your total lack of the "Camino Spirit". You are probably bored.

Larry from Kentucky

I guess this is not a blog for fans of sarcasm :? eh!?!

CaminoGen said:
Is it really that bad?
Actually, it isn't always that bad. If you walk in a month when there is lots of rain and hence mud, you only see cyclists on the trail for a day or two. Then somewhere like Puenta la Reina you see them spending ages in the evening trying to clean all the mud out of their gear system..... Funnily enough, by next day they have largely disappeared to a more sealed surface somewhere!!
Margaret
who-also-cycles-sometimes

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Instead of destoying the bikes, donate to the children in the area. After adding a bell so they can get around safely.

I thought it more fun to watch the cyclist have to carry their bikes and all their gear on their shoulders on a few mountain ridges because they could not ride. Those who have the tires to to ride on dirt can also ride on pavement!

I had almost daily encounters with cyclers on the Camino Francés this past July - many mornings I saw more cyclers than walkers - and I never had a negative experience.

Do I bike? (daily, I do live in Holland). Would I want to bike the Camino? No way as I feel I would miss too much by speeding by all the lovely sites and people along the way. But that is my opinion.

We walkers do not own the Camino, it is there to be shared by all.

Cheers,
LT

Another category: Bikers who fling plastic bottles, "SuperNRGPowerGelPak" containers and other litter off their bikes as if they were blowing through the watering station at a race. Of all the Littering Swine on the Camino, bikers are the worst. These guys should be made to collect all litter for the next 100 km., walking, in their cute little shoes. (Yes, there are MANY on-foot pilgrims who also believe that once their candy wrapper leaves their possession, it no longer exists.)

I do not think Camino bikers should be killed, however. I´ve met many excellent camino bikers, and many of those swore they were coming back again to do it on foot.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rebekah Scott said:
Of all the Littering Swine on the Camino, bikers are the worst. These guys should be made to collect all litter for the next 100 km., walking, in their cute little shoes.
You tell'em Rebekah! :mrgreen:
OK , no exterminations will take place when I become president of Spain. But Beware , Cyclists caught littering will be made to push their bikes all the the way to Santiago ......then .... bike confiscated ....... and recycled(HaHa :mrgreen: ) to make new beds for Albergues.

Are you the RENSHAW who was flung out of the Tour de France for headbutting?

Andy

Rule 6: Any bici-grino caught using the restroom in the woods thisclose to the trail after he sailed by a perfectly good bar with facilities not 1 km back should have to clean toilets with his toothbrush. :evil:

But, I've got no problem with those who yell "Buen Camino" or anything for that matter when they are approaching a pilgrim on foot. I can't hear anything going on behind me & an advance notice is appreciated. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi RENSHAW,

Here is one opinion from a cyclist. You are correct about using the bell to alert walkers on the same path. You mentioned, “Cyclists caught cycling on narrow path”…. Please tell us what “narrow” is to you.

When I am voted in as President of Spain, the following rules will be enforced.
1. Albergers will inspect the bikes to make sure they have a bell, otherwise their credential will be confiscated or not get a bed.
2. The credential issuing office will include a letter with instructions about slowing down when passing a walker. The Cyclist will sign the letter agreeing to the requirement.
3. Any walking Peregrino not cooperating and blocking bikers on purpose will not receive their Compostela or will have one boot confiscated. (I was a victim of such cruelty along the way last year)

The method of travel should not be an issue to deny a bed to any Pilgrim. Cyclists have second priority to walkers simply because they move at a lower speed. What about Pilgrims traveling by horse? Are they also penalized for it? Some walking Pilgrims want to just get from point A to point B early so they can have most of the afternoon to do other things. The bikers are forced to cover longer distances to get to point B late in the afternoon or evening to maybe find out that there is no bed available for him/her. The current policy should be revisited and corrected to make it fair and balanced.

I will be biking the narrow trails again in June. Help Help

take away their biking shorts..give them regular shorts..preferably denim...with lots of seams!!

These guys should be made to collect all litter for the next 100 km., walking, in their cute little shoes.

Overweight cyclists caught in undersized spandex should be fined, flogged and then forced-marched into Santiago./
You guys are really pathetic. You dislike cyclists because they don't dress the same as you. The roots of prejustice can be found right here on our board.

Yes, I wear practical cycling clothes. I'm not sure what "spandex" is but if it works, fine. I'm not sure if my shoes are cute, but they clip to my pedals and work well.

It seems the walkers like those pants with the zip-off legs. Frequently, they zip off the legs at a rest stop and leave them. When I find them, I bike them ahead for a few days and hang them in a prominent spot, hoping that the peregrino who lost them will find a milagro occurred, and recover them. I do that even though they are neither cute nor spandex, they just belong to a fellow pilgrim.

Hi All, I have just arrived in Santiago after starting from St Jean, and I too have at times been annoyed by cyclists. But I have also been annoyed by snorers, by people getting up early, by people getting to bed late, and so on.
But if the Camino doesn´t teach you tolerance, nothing will, so please, a little patience, curtesy and understanding by us all will make the Camino great for everyone.
David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Josecob said:
Hi RENSHAW,

Here is one opinion from a cyclist. You are correct about using the bell to alert walkers on the same path. You mentioned, “Cyclists caught cycling on narrow path”…. Please tell us what “narrow” is to you.

When I am voted in as President of Spain, the following rules will be enforced .

I will be biking the narrow trails again in June. Help Help

Thanx for taking my thread in the spirit it was meant - you cyclists do get a raw deal I know. As for 'Narrow' , I have been on the camino at Vianna this year and the Camino was only as wide to allow a single person or bike through. Next to this path was a quiet , perfectly surfaced ROAD , but NO! , there were a bunch of idiots , without bells who just had to get by me on my tiny path .............. Send them to clean toilets after a big football match , confiscate their bikes!
Be carefull out there!.........and thanx for making my day - enjoy your Camino.

Note to the Ironically Challenged: Renshaw and Co. are JOKING with you. The camino is full of strange and wonderful characters. You may qualify as one of them. So LIGHTEN UP, OK? :roll: ?

RENSHAW said:
Next to this path was a quiet , perfectly surfaced ROAD , but NO! , there were a bunch of idiots , without bells who just had to get by me on my tiny path .............. Send them to clean toilets after a big football match , confiscate their bikes!

Ah yes, a road, where cars have killed four of my cycling friends. Maybe there is a reason the cyclists are no more inclined than you to abandon the trail for pavement.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All this "to-do" about cyclists is entertaining! Having ridden a bicycle over 100,000 miles in my life time and having walked, approximately, 95,000 miles. I have reached a few conclusions....being an idiot knows no mode of transportation! Loving everyone you meet is contagious. Respect goes a long, long way.

" Keep up the good work!", said the rock to Sysiphus!

splash57

Rebekah Scott said:
Note to the Ironically Challenged: Renshaw and Co. are JOKING with you. The camino is full of strange and wonderful characters. You may qualify as one of them. So LIGHTEN UP, OK? :roll: ?
I really hope some of these "characters" will be walking in May and June. The road will be long if I don't find fellow sarcastic pilgrim.

Rebekah Scott said:

Sorry to be so humorless, but there are elements in this thread which are not funny to me, in fact, they are sort of ugly.

Where I live, cyclists are considered by many to be a nuisance. They move at a different speed, they are in the way, they dress funny. Rather than share with bikes, they joke about them, try to stereotype them, make them some less than fellow humans, but rather something worthy of harrassment.

As a result, people who would never consider endangering another person take pride in holding down the horn and running bikes into a ditch. I've heard them brag about it, and receive wide approval for doing it. Even the police get into the act. A cop at a traffic safety school said "some of these cyclists need to get creamed so they'll learn to get out of the way" Recently another friend was killed, not a nameless person in spandex, but a guy mamed Keith, leaving behind a wife named Jenny and two children.

So here we have a group of pilgrims, who supposedly learned all sort of virtues on their journeys. They engage in the same sort of stereotyping and show little inclination share the route with a bike. They don't want to them on the trail, even if their bike was designed just for that use.

All in jest I'm sure, they suggest everything from stepping in front of a bike, to forced marches in bike shoes. Dream of making them clean toilets for some reason. Call them idiots. It doesn't make me laugh, it just pushes the camino more into an Us vs. Them situation---go make the same jokes about an ethnic group and see how they play. If you can't see people on bikes as fellow humans to share the route with you aren't a very good pilgrim

The mountain bikers here have made 100's of km of offroad trails, and that is where I do 95% of my riding. Many hikers and runners use the trails we built. They dress differently and move at different pace but we all get along. Can't we do the same on the way to Santiago?

€83,-
With Newfydog's last post, and with everybody chiming in, perhaps the subject is a bit worn. It would be nice if Renshaw could, or would retract his initial post, and then we could get on to more important stuff like:
- bed bugs (their presence, appearance, and how to murder them)
- what kind of walking shoes to wear
- how much should your backpack weigh
- stink in the albergue
- the incense in that thing that swings in the Cathedral
- the best falafel in the world in Burgos
- taking toilet paper

you know, the important things.

Larry, a biker, from Kentucky

This topic is getting better by the minute because it is exposing some significant issues in a open dialog by both sides. When I saw HENSHAW’s interesting posting I viewed it as an opportunity to participate in his humor while at the same time presenting my views as well in a similar light. In other words, I can take it, and dish it out productively as well, and still have fun in the process. I chew the meat and spite out the bones with no problems.

Now to my real issue: This is the unjust requirement that bikers are second to walkers in Albergers for beds. The way I would like to see it is FIRST COME FIRST SERVE otherwise it is straight up Prejudice. Newfydog well touched it when he said “ The roots of prejustice (prejudice) can be found right here on our board.”

In my case, I cannot walk the Camino because of a sport permanent knee injury, so I have to bike it.

I would love to find out what controlling agency (office) in Spain deals with the rules and policies for the Camino. I would appeal to them for a review on this matter.

[/ Newfydog well touched it when he said “ The roots of prejustice (prejudice) can be found right here on our board.”
quote]

The proper way to correct spelling of another post is to post "( sic), you moron!"

Thanks, it looked weird, but I are an engineer.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Even though calling someone a "moron" over a question of punctuation is a bit much...

I think all of us on this board are decent and upstanding pilgrims who really don´t want anyone to be hurt or killed or horribly punished. I don´t see a lot of hating going on here. Just someone expressing annoyance in an over-the-top way. Jokes and stand-up and humor are FULL of this kind of thing. It´s life. And when you get any large number of very different people together in one place, and you expect them to share it, you´re going to get annoyance!

There is no authority with overarching policy that I know of on the camino. That´s part of the beauty of the place -- it´s pretty much self-policing, and it works extremely well if you think about the volume of humanity that uses it each year. There IS an advocacy group for biking pilgrims, however, based in Viloria de la Rioja at the albergue of Acacio y Orietta. I believe it´s called BikeLine... have a look around the web and you´ll find it.

Reb.

Hi all,

One can disagree with a persona in this forum, but one should not get personal and start calling people names... that does not solve anything. One can disagree and promote your own views, but let's not get personal.

I know the public albergues in Galicia (run by Xacobeo were I work this year) give walking pilgrims priority. The thinking is that a biking pilgrims can make the 3-4 km to the next village faster and easier than one walking. Have a look at the details here:
http://camino.xacobeo.es/en/rules-use-hostel-network

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

There's room for foot-sloggers and cyclists on the Camino. But sometimes there's not quite enough room for both comfortably on some of the narrower tracks. Cyclists should get bells on their bikes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Do you think back in the Middle Ages, the walkers complained about the dog carts? or the snooty mule riders? (...at least we know they didn't complain about the (damn) Americans!) :lol:

Ivar, Thanks for the information about Xacobeo. I will visit Xacobeo the next time that I am in Santiago.

Reb, Thanks for the information about the Acacio y Orietta albergue. When I go to Spain for my next bike trip in May-June of 2011, I will visit their albergue.

P.S.
I will not react or respond about the moron hit. Instead, I wish him happiness and wellness.

newfydog said:
[/ Newfydog well touched it when he said “ The roots of prejustice (prejudice) can be found right here on our board.”
quote]

The proper way to correct spelling of another post is to post "( sic), you moron!"

Thanks, it looked weird, but I are an engineer.

Wow! take a chill pill and try to find a sense of humor.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Josecob said:
P.S.
I will not react or respond about the moron hit. Instead, I wish him happiness and wellness.

Sorry, I was calling myself the moron, which is why I included it in the " ". As is often the case in internet communications, they are read differently from conversation. As it came off, I am no better than the other name callers here, and for that, I apologize.

To be clear, I never once thought that the other posters actually wish all those bad fates for the cyclists. I feel they do encourage a "walkers versus cyclist" mentality however, which is not what we need.

On another note, I don't mind giving walkers priority at the albergues, not because we can just roll on to the next one (it will be full as well), but because in a pinch, it isn't too hard for us to go a few km off the camino to find a place.

One of the negative side effects however, is that quite a few of the cycling pilgrims simply do not even try to use the albergues. 30% of the pilgrims are on bikes, but you won't see that many in the albergues, and perhaps if more of them were, there would be better cooperation between the walkers and cyclists.

Anyway, I'm off to India, Nepal, and Bhutan for a bit. Maybe this discussion will wind up, or at least improve without me stirring the pot. See you all in six weeks.

Buen viaje, Newfydog! Your next journey sounds wonderful!

lynne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
wayne57 said:
All this "to-do" about cyclists is entertaining! ...being an idiot knows no mode of transportation! Loving everyone you meet is contagious. Respect goes a long, long way.

" Keep up the good work!", said the rock to Sysiphus!
splash57

Loved your post!! Not sure what my mileage is currently for each...but I've gotta agree. The rude ones are everywhere!!

Kill 'em all...Kill 'em with kindness! It irritates the hell out of them! :)

Karin

PS. Yes Newfy, I wear spandex shorts to cycle in & zip off trousers to hike in!! All hideous fashion attrocities that are way to comfy for their respective uses! Just don't anybody here send the fashion police or I'm a goner for life!

ksam said:
I wear spandex shorts to cycle in & zip off trousers to hike in!! All hideous fashion attrocities that are way to comfy for their respective uses! Just don't anybody here send the fashion police or I'm a goner for life!
I did once see a very large Lady with these shorts , I did think of confiscating her bike but if her shorts had burst in the battle, a few people may have been hurt so I allowed her to continue on My tiny , narrow path on My Camino. :mrgreen:

Steve.Belfast said:
It should be a condition for cyclists on the Camino that their bikes have bells, wouldn't add much to the weight, and elliptical wheels. :twisted:
OK - Hands up those cyclists who cycled All the way to Santiago without a bell - perhaps you are the ones with all the guilt and thus hammer poor RENSHAW - how could you after forcing me off My tiny path - Are you now able to admit to your ignorance? :mrgreen:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Re: You Know , the important things!

larryflo said:
With Newfydog's last post, and with everybody chiming in, perhaps the subject is a bit worn. It would be nice if Renshaw could, or would retract his initial post, and then we could get on to more important stuff like:
- bed bugs (their presence, appearance, and how to murder them)
- what kind of walking shoes to wear
- how much should your backpack weighA
- stink in the albergue
- the incense in that thing that swings in the Cathedral
- the best falafel in the world in Burgos
- taking toilet paper

you know, the important things.

Larry, a biker, from Kentucky

Yes , lets make a start.................. will it help at all if all pilgrims wear some cat or dog flea collars?
The injuries to feet are all relavant to the wheight carried , distance covered and wheather the footwear has been 'broken in'; problem is the the Camino Frances starts with some tough days. If you could start with only walking 10KM per day for the first 5 days , this would help.
A pack should wheigh as little as possible - Spring , Autum and Winter require more gear.
Stink in the Albergue - there are so many of us - such volumes that use the loos and showers - donate an air freshner - only costs a Euro or two.
The incense in the church - Do the Priests in Santiago put on a show only if a large amount of money has been donated? - I have had a personal experience here , perhaps a seperate thread?
Burgos - Black Pudding and goats milk Flan.
Toilet paper - prefer to use it if I can -
Owwwwszat buddy - any good?

Back to the basics of this thread:

Cyclist complaining about saddle-pain, and having no blisters at all:
40 km barefoot penalty-march, bike confiscated and destroyed.

Cyclists after a rainy and muddy day, placing their bike in the community room, where the walkers have to take out their shoes en put them on a rack:
10 canings, bike confiscated and destroyed.

Cyclists, destroying the little foot-path alongst a mud pool they created themselves:
Crucifixion, bike confiscated and destroyed.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

€83,-
I really do appreciate this thread. I unfortunately find myself to be a purist of sorts. Though I understand different modes of pilgrimage, I strongly prefer that those routes of the world that are designed for pilgrimage bused used soley by pilgrims who walk. There are too many other routes that are better suited for cyclists for them to focus on the Camino.

Nothing is worse than a group to come zipping by, scaring the blue blazes out of pilgrims that are deep in thought, prayer, or contemplation. I don't seek to offend those that cycle, but would request that if you are considering cycling the Camino, please don't. Instead, please consider walking it. If you are committed to cycling, please look else where. You will enjoy yourself more and pilgrims on the Camino will also.

I will also say that there are exceptions to almost all things. For some, cycling is the only way they can participate. For them, please feel welcome. For others who just like to cycle, if I meet you I will also welcome you on the Camino. However, I still wish you would limit your biking to the paved roads.

i dont own a bike - lets get that out of the way
but
it must be the most hysterical feeling watching a pilgrim near-collapse at the terrifying sound of a bike whizzing past
i know this because i have almost had my legs collapse beneath me as a bike hurtles past
if i did own a bike on the camino, id certainly do at least one of these
purely for entertainment value

Hi Michael, all

Yes, I do respect every pilgrim, as you do.
Every pilgrim does his own pilgrimage.
And as you do (I think) I dislike the cyclist-pilgrime on a foot-path.
I don't have any problems with cyclists-pilgrims on tarmac.
But on the dirt-paths...

So cycling-pilgrims, feel welcome on the Camino.
But please take the route dedicated for cyclists.

and back to the thread:
Cyclists coming and going on a speed so nobody will ever see them again:
Twelve days solitary confinement, bike confiscated and destroyed.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If I'm right about the location of your photo Carli, it is a perfect example of why I bike on the footpath. The path is straight, smooth and great on a bike. To your left is a road full of cars and trucks which zip by going much faster than a walker or cyclist and think nothing about coming dangerously close. To your right is a perfect spot for a bike to pass a walker without threatening them in the least. I'd say that picture is quite typical, while it is rare to find a piece of the trail where a paved alternative is safe and pleasant, and the trail is so narrow that it is difficult to pass a walker without crowding their personal space. I think the upper part of the climb to OCebrero fits that description, and I have always taken the road there.

After a year's absence, this thread comes back to life. :wink:

Now..let the humorless bike riders explode in indignation once again.

Try to understand (bikers) that this is a JOKE. :shock:

(Are 30% of all Pilgrims really cyclists as posted above?? Seems pretty high to me..but what do I know.)

newfydog said:
If I'm right about the location of your photo Carli, it is a perfect example of why I bike on the footpath.
To your left is a road full of cars and trucks which zip by going much faster than a walker or cyclist and think nothing about coming dangerously close.

Well then, have a better look at the picture.
I don't see any cars or trucks at all... :lol:

therefore:
Cyclists, riding on the footpath, where there is plenty of tarmac available:
20 whip-lashes, bike confiscated and destroyed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
By foot May 24,620, June 27,883 83%, July 37,551 89%, Aug 47,014 86%, Sept 31,622 86%, Oct 23,784 90%
By bike May 4,042, June 5,677 17% July 4,596 11%, Aug 7,522 14%, Sept 4,903 13%, Oct 2,620 10%
By horse May 120, June 159, July 203, Aug 242, Sept 163, Oct 130
By wheelchair May 5, June 2, July 9, Aug 7, Sept 10, Oct 8

I'll try to show some humor and make some jokes about the wheelchairs.

dutchpilgrim"Well then, have a better look at the picture.
So I took a better look at the picture Carli, and saw your little Gandhi quote. Hmmm, do you think he'd consider not wanting to share a nice wide two lane path with a fellow pilgrim greed? Suggest he ride out with machines which have killed five of his friends?

newfydog said:
dutchpilgrim"Well then, have a better look at the picture.
So I took a better look at the picture Carli, and saw your little Gandhi quote. Hmmm, do you think he'd consider not wanting to share a nice wide two lane path with a fellow pilgrim greed? Suggest he ride out with machines which have killed five of his friends?

Mahatma Gandhi went on foot to gain salt out of the sea, not on bike, nor on machines.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess that pilgrims that walk can be a little hard on cyclists. I freely admit that my feelings are harsh, I hope to never see another bike on Camino ever. Yet, I also understand that some simply prefer to use a bike rather than walk; that the Camino is joyfully open to all regardless of their motivation for coming on the Way.

Cyclists, do not be angry with the humor found here or even our true feelings/thoughts, if anything accept that fact that cyclists can strike fear in the hearts of many of us that walk when a cyclist flies by us and presumes to own the path we are trying to walk. Understand that many of us choose to walk for specific reasons; we are seeking a simple time of prayer, contemplation, talking, and reflection. We seek a pligrimage in the very truest sense of the word.

There is room for all and we all need to be respectful of others; we all can fall short of that at times.
I have enjoyed reading the witty comments made here; thank you to all for making me smile.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
MichaelB10398 said:
I hope to never see another bike on Camino ever. ...many of us choose to walk for specific reasons; we are seeking a simple time of prayer, contemplation, talking, and reflection. We seek a pligrimage in the very truest sense of the word.

I appreciate your motivation, but you are not unique in your experience. We seek the same on our bike trips. If you don't think a bike trip can be a time of contemplation and reflection in the same sense as walking, well, you've never biked from Burgos to Leon. I "wrote" my entire masters thesis in my head on long isolated bike rides in the Arizona desert. Of course, my masters thesis sucks, but I probably would have never gotten it written at all otherwise.

I wish I could have empty beaches to walk on, empty slopes to ski, and that the mountain bike trails here were free of runners and dog walkers, but we have to share in this world. My bike will be seen on many more caminos and chemins. Hopefully we'll all continue to share as nicely as most people have on all my past trips.

No one can contemplate or reflect at the downhill speeds I have observed during the last two weeks. I do not mind the bicycles on the path, but I did grow to resent the bikes that expected me to yield so they could maintain breakneck speed. I really enjoyed the foursome that did a controlled slide and dismount when it hit the granite crevice when expecting something more navigable. The two women seemed a little angry at the two men who lured them into it. Payback was probably that night in the pension...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Have you seen a lot of that falcon? I haven't been on the Frances for a few years. I once ran into a big group of mountain bikers, carrying no bags on a guided tour, who looked at the whole trail as a bike park. Their guides were a couple of young Spaniards who were trying to impress their clients with their jumping skills. If they are becoming typical I'd be surprised, and a bit horrified.

I can tell you that our days consist of six hours on the bikes, a few more eating taking in views etc., climbing at 3-5 km/hour and averaging 10-13 km hr for the day. The downhills are about 5% of the time spent on the bike, so there is plenty of time to daydream. Why anyone would blast by the walkers is beyond me. The poorly guided group missed talking to a really nice old Belgian lady. Her husband had died, and she started from her doorstep, three months earlier. She had a few days left and was tromping along merrily talking to everyone, even Americans on bikes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had to break off two attempts by tendonitis. Some gave me the advice to do it on bike. But I said no to that idea.
I gave them the following answer:
It is for contemplating, introspection.
Imagine yourself by foot or on a bike. On which of the two alternatives would you dare closing your eyes for ten seconds?

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

P.S.
newfydog said:
... even Americans on bikes.
So they really are the worst? :mrgreen:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Imagine yourself by foot or on a bike. On which of the two alternatives would you dare closing your eyes for ten seconds?

I don't close my eyes biking or walking. I think best with my eyes open. Got to say, I don't see other pilgrims stumbling around with their eyes closed either. Another advantage to biking...if there is a weirdo zombie introspective contemplator on the trail you can crank it up and get the heck away!

newfydog said:
I don't close my eyes biking or walking. I think best with my eyes open. Got to say, I don't see other pilgrims stumbling around with their eyes closed either. Another advantage to biking...if there is a weirdo zombie introspective contemplator on the trail you can crank it up and get the heck away!
It was an imaginary thing.
Illustrating the difference in the span of control you'll need for biking or hiking.

You'd better open your eyes, where as you did so many of times close them for the arguments of other pilgrims, specially the walking ones, scaring the heck out of them by passing them, even with a moderate pace (for bikers that is). So keep on the tarmac, where you belong!

So one more:
Cycling pilgrims with no sense of humor, or compassion for walkers at all:
the Guillotine, bike confiscated and destroyed.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

BTW, thanks for the compliment:
newfydog said:
...if there is a weirdo zombie introspective contemplator
than please tho that:
newfydog said:
... you can crank it up and get the heck away!
But as far away from the Camino as possible.

P.S.

Fellow-pilgrims, excuse me for the flame-war. It is not my style.
I'd love to keep humor and cynicism in the discussion
But newfydog is -in my opinion- far out of control.

Ultreya et Suseia,
Carli Di Bortolo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Weirdo zombie contemplator" is out of control, but "20 whiplashes and hands chopped" off is not????!

OK, I'm done.

Sorry to subject everyone to this.

grayland said:
(Are 30% of all Pilgrims really cyclists as posted above?? Seems pretty high to me..but what do I know.)

From 1992 to 2010 the total number of walkers and cyclists was as follows
Walkers 1,368,067 80.8%
Cyclists 309,402 18.3%

Please keep this thread civil before it has to be locked. The comments posted here must be taken as humorous or one or two people have serious issues.

By posting a comment on this thread I enter the realm of those who are irreverent and narrow minded. So be it. Most bikers are are very nice people. They are considerate and caring. They mean no harm to anybody. I dare say most of them don't even use the same path as the walkers.

William Marques, I think you should shut down this conversation so that the otherwise friendly walkers can get back to discussing bed bugs, boot selection, and how many Snickers to pack.

William Marques said:
Please keep this thread civil before it has to be locked. The comments posted here must be taken as humorous or one or two people have serious issues.

William's very well mannered warning seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

It is time for this thread to take a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back