• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Results of investigation of Sept. highway deaths?

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago

savar2b

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2013)
Just wondering if there was a determination concerning the deaths of the two German peregrinos killed in September. I.E. Where were they specifically when they were hit? Were they on or off the road?
Is anything being done to make that section more safe?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/blog/ there is a caption (in Spanish) with a picture of the exact spot where the accident took place. The explanation describes the accident. It notes that the pilgrims were standing at the road shoulder reading the board placed on the Camino when they were hit. It also notes that the pilgrims were not on the road and allowed to stand where they were. By the description it appears the truck may had veered towards the left shoulder and did not realized pilgrims were standing with their back to the road. So devastating.

Just so terribly sad. I find myself thinking about their families sometimes.:(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We actually thought it was closer to Santiago. All of us were cognizant of the dangers presented by highway traffic but seemed to get a bit too comfortable towards the end. This incident put everything back in perspective. I pray those families find some level of peace knowing their relatives were seeking just that.

God bless.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This stretch near O Pino is dangerous. I've seen a few close calls there myself. It's a little confusing. People don't know which way to go and there are so many signs. I can see how this may have happened. Sad :(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back