• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RETHINK walking the Frances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used booking.com on my two most recent Caminos and have never double-booked to cancel last minute. If this is a current trend, it gives those of us who now choose to plan our lodging ahead of time to reduce stress while walking a potential "bad name" and is rather disappointing.
I doubt it is a trend, it will be standard practice for many, both individual and business. Whether it’s airlines, restaurant bookings, or hotels, it’s common practice probably for the majority who plan to fine detail. I guess the reverse is folks who book a non refundable product and the can’t use it as their situation changes!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps pilgrims need to learn to be a tad more resourceful. Surely a simple google search would have informed people that starting from SJPdP (a busy place at the quietest of times) on a holiday weekend would pose some problems? These catastrophic posts are driving me nuts! The sky is not falling. Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on the part of everyone on the Camino, nor everyone on the forum. People are on here literally asking others how to buy a bra; if they can drink the water in Spain; if they can find food in Spain; if they can buy sunscreen in Spain; what an ATM looks like in Spain; how much of their foreign currency they should bring to Spain, for some reason assuming it will be readily accepted; what the temperature will be tomorrow, and the chance of rain the day after that. For the love of Christ, people, I am surprised most can make it out of their own driveway. I will be soundly chastised for this post, but seriously, seriously...?

@El Cascayal posted this thread a week ago: speaking of catastrophic posts... https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/just-for-laughs.80152/#post-1131189

I am still howling with laughter

It seems the CF has become a victim of its own success. This is unfortunate. I’m glad I had the good fortune to walk the Frances back in 2013.
I had much the same thought readying this thread. Much of it made me sad. I do think the Camino (all of them but particularly the Frances) is a victim of its own success. All the hype (we all love "The Way" and all the Camino books) and they are some of the best publicity for doing the Camino. Tour groups have jumped in, filling a need and making a profit (I have nothing against profit). NG offers a Camino tour as do many others. Last year I watched a Back Roads van drop off walkers only to pick them up a few miles later to take them down the road. Nothing wrong with this, perhaps it makes the Camino more accessible to people who otherwise might not be able to do any of a Camino. But it is a factor in the number of people walking. Then there's COVID. I do think COVID created pent-up demand that could take a few years to sort out. Then there's the business angle. During COVID, many businesses shut down. Am not sure if they all reopened. If not, it would add to the current squeeze. And the original poster seemed to say that businesses are closing because there's just too much pressure. An upside might be that potential business developers may see this as a booming business to get into but it takes time to set up shop. And then there's all of us. Each year new people walk a Camino and find it so fulfilling that they want to do it again. And again. This isn't a problem but it does add to the number of pilgrims walking a Camino. For these reasons, and others, there is a crunch on the Camino. I would love to see it all worked out. Would love to see people see this as a pilgrimage, not a tour. Would love to see everyone be kind to one another, be more tolerant. But I, like Globetrottingpilgrim, am glad I walked the Camino in a different time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
For whatever reasons the CF has become a hype and from what I can read on this forum attracts more and more people who are not very familiar with basic principles of hiking (what kind of boots, shorts, pants, bra,hats... do they need?) Some think France and Spain are a sort of wilderness. Of course not , it is all very civilized end gentle.
I don't see why pilgrims should be familiar with hiking. Some people seem to be under the impression that the camino is a hiking trail!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For whatever reasons the CF has become a hype and from what I can read on this forum attracts more and more people who are not very familiar with basic principles of hiking (what kind of boots, shorts, pants, bra,hats... do they need?) Some think France and Spain are a sort of wilderness. Of course not , it is all very civilized end gentle.
Speaking strictly for myself as an experienced through-hiker and mountain climber - the Camino will be VERY different from my past hikes. The gear and clothing is different (smaller pack, much lighter and higher temp sleeping bag/liner, trail runners rather than boots, preparation for days of heavy rain, no tent or sleeping pad, no shelter tarp, cooking gear etc.).

I would argue that the "basic principles of hiking" depend upon where, when, how, and why you are walking.

NOT traveling in "a sort of wilderness" has meant I need to adjust my mindset about walking and the Camino itself has made me rethink almost everything.

Not to mention the most important part of all- the spiritual aspect.

So please dear Pilgrim Fransw, be gentle. There is always more behind it than you can imagine.

Having walked the camino yourself is this your observation from pilgrims you walked with??
Not sure what your point is. You don't need to walk to realise that a religious pilgrim may not be the same as your regular hiker. Many pilgrims are not hikers, they are people who feel called to the camino for various reasons.

I will say, without intending to offend anyone, that if asked, I would say that this is a hiking forum primarily.

Not sure what your point is. You don't need to walk to realise that a religious pilgrim may not be the same as your regular hiker. Many pilgrims are not hikers, they are people who feel called to the camino for various reasons.

I will say, without intending to offend anyone, that if asked, I would say that this is a hiking forum primarily.
How have you come to that conclusion ?

if asked, I would say that this is a hiking forum primarily
I really don't see how attaching a single simplistic label is helpful. In fact it is provocative. Clearly there are many different sub-groups on the forum, and a much larger group of people who straddle the labels.

The one thing I have often admired about this forum is that we are generally a gentle folk. It pains me to hear people looking down (and expressing that quite strongly) on "new" people who are preparing perhaps a trip of a lifetime with their preciously saved up money and will have many questions.

Often we said here, to each their own, the camino is for everybody and for everybody there is a camino.

Let's stay gentle, let's stay a place where people feel save, and feel comfortable to ask what can be a "dumb" question. I was told, there are no dumb questions, only dumb replies.

Peace

I really don't see how attaching a single simplistic label is helpful. In fact it is provocative. Clearly there are many different sub-groups on the forum, and a much larger group of people who straddle the labels.
You can say whatever you want. Of course there are different groups. From the perspective of a non-hike it is very hiking oriented!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perhaps pilgrims need to learn to be a tad more resourceful. Surely a simple google search would have informed people that starting from SJPdP (a busy place at the quietest of times) on a holiday weekend would pose some problems? These catastrophic posts are driving me nuts! The sky is not falling. Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on the part of everyone on the Camino, nor everyone on the forum. People are on here literally asking others how to buy a bra; if they can drink the water in Spain; if they can find food in Spain; if they can buy sunscreen in Spain; what an ATM looks like in Spain; how much of their foreign currency they should bring to Spain, for some reason assuming it will be readily accepted; what the temperature will be tomorrow, and the chance of rain the day after that. For the love of Christ, people, I am surprised most can make it out of their own driveway. I will be soundly chastised for this post, but seriously, seriously...?
lol well said :)

You have been brave enough to post what I have been thinking for a long time!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had much the same thought readying this thread. Much of it made me sad. I do think the Camino (all of them but particularly the Frances) is a victim of its own success. All the hype (we all love "The Way" and all the Camino books) and they are some of the best publicity for doing the Camino. Tour groups have jumped in, filling a need and making a profit (I have nothing against profit). NG offers a Camino tour as do many others. Last year I watched a Back Roads van drop off walkers only to pick them up a few miles later to take them down the road. Nothing wrong with this, perhaps it makes the Camino more accessible to people who otherwise might not be able to do any of a Camino. But it is a factor in the number of people walking. Then there's COVID. I do think COVID created pent-up demand that could take a few years to sort out. Then there's the business angle. During COVID, many businesses shut down. Am not sure if they all reopened. If not, it would add to the current squeeze. And the original poster seemed to say that businesses are closing because there's just too much pressure. An upside might be that potential business developers may see this as a booming business to get into but it takes time to set up shop. And then there's all of us. Each year new people walk a Camino and find it so fulfilling that they want to do it again. And again. This isn't a problem but it does add to the number of pilgrims walking a Camino. For these reasons, and others, there is a crunch on the Camino. I would love to see it all worked out. Would love to see people see this as a pilgrimage, not a tour. Would love to see everyone be kind to one another, be more tolerant. But I, like Globetrottingpilgrim, am glad I walked the Camino in a different time.
Very well said Saves me all the time of typing I'm glad that I did my CF in 2015. I'm also glad that I am walking the last stages of the Sanabres (from Ourense to Santiago) and then the Camino Ingles. I'm not finding the crowds but then the Sanabres isn't the CF. I suspect that you are spot on and that economics will rule the day and more resources will be brought to bear. My fear is that it will become a solely economic driven process (maybe it was and is but I didn't see it).

I find this a very sad post. Let's keep this a welcoming place where people from many different backgrounds, different resources, share their knowledge of our shared interest; the many roads to Santiago. Let's respect everyone has his or her unique starting point and let's treat eachother as we would like to be treated ourselves when we tip our toes in something new and daunting. Let's be kind, lend a hand, and not judge. We were all and still are beginners on some or other subject.

What for you (or me) may be a stupid question, can be important for someone else, who are we to judge. (For instance, on the subject of bras I did learn some new and interesting stuff. Every day can be a schoolday.) And more simple, if you're not interested in a subject, skip it! A win for everybody.

I know that there are a lot of old-timer forum members who are growing weary of many of the newbies’ questions. But please don’t let it lead you to give up on the forum! Titles of threads make very clear what is going to be discussed, and no one forces anyone to open any thread.

I know this is obvious, but as the businesses along the camino continue to ratchet up the level of comfort and range of services, the Camino is going to continue to attract more and more people who are less adventuresome, less willing to “rough it,” and more concerned about the level of amenities. And those people will come to the forum for help. They will likely be walking the Francés. Feel free to ignore those questions! But there is still no better place on the internet to go for a great discussion about the Olvidado, the Mozárabe, the Aragonés, the Catalán, the Madrid, the Lana, the Vdlp, the Ebro, the Invierno, and on and on and on.

I read this thread and the many others like this with sadness, because I can’t imagine going to walk for a month in these circumstances. But I realize that that’s just the way it is now on the Camino Francés.
I know there are many newbie forum members who are growing weary of "know it all"s complain about increased crowds..
hmm.. maybe we should do as is the Muslim tradition, go to Mecca once in our life.. ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know there are many newbie forum members who are growing weary of "know it all"s complain about increased crowds..
hmm.. maybe we should do as is the Muslim tradition, go to Mecca once in our life.. ?
I think that you are somewhat out of date if you think Muslims only go to mecca once in their lifetimes. Having lived in the Gulf, I know that many are repeat 'offenders' when it comes to going to Mecca. They go as often as they can. So much so that there are lotteries to decide who gets to go on Haj each year. If you are unlucky and miss out, then you can just go on umra any other time of the year.

It works both ways. We have had a lot of threads recently from newbies worried about the crowds or actually on the Camino trying to find accommodation, and the know-it-alls are trying to help them understand the more nuanced aspects of the crowds and the types of accommodation.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It works both ways. We have had a lot of threads recently from newbies worried about the crowds or actually on the Camino trying to find accommodation, and the know-it-alls are trying to help them understand the more nuanced aspects of the crowds and the types of accommodation.
Some more kindly than others. I can understand both positions. For my health and level of frustration staying kind has been consistently the way forward.

I think that you are somewhat out of date if you think Muslims only go to mecca once in their lifetimes. Having lived in the Gulf, I know that many are repeat 'offenders' when it comes to going to Mecca. They go as often as they can. So much so that there are lotteries to decide who gets to go on Haj each year. If you are unlucky and miss out, then you can just go on umra any other time of the year.
You are so right, The Koran only says "the least", and remember, millions of muslims lives all over the world, so - different traditions and sayings ;-)

I did the Frances last year and came back to do some more hiking around St Jean Pied de Port this year. spending more time in the town and talking to locals I would strongly suggest people reconsider walking the Frances route this year (or in future).

consider this -

there are about 500 people every day going through the pilgrims office in SJPdP every day currently. this number doesn't include walkers who don't visit the pilgrims office OR private groups (ie there are large number of private korean tour groups currently).

so 500 pilgrims.... and only 200 beds in Roncesvalles.... 300 people without beds on their first night.... people were spending hours walking around SJPdP looking for accomodation. people arriving in Roncesvalles either have to get transport back to SJPdP to sleep and be taken back to Roncesvalles the next morning or catch a taxi forward or walk further on. Note, walking today, the next town was fully booked in advance aswell. so people can be up for a 30km day on their first day after walking to a 1,400m peak.

obviously the accomodation issues don't disappear after the first night. Zubiri is fully booked two weeks ahead and AirBnBs booked solid. Pamplona, 2 weeks ago when I went through, the albergue (112 beds) and all hostels were full. I had to book something outside of Pamplona.

before covid the pilgrim numbers going through SJPdP ilgrims office was 63,000 a year. last year it was 70,000. this year the numbers are blowing the locals out of the water. they have never seen this volume of people and so early in the season. the are literally burnt out before the peak begins. pilgrims have been flocking since mid March.

the owner of Express Bourricot is selling her bsuiness/stepping aside in July because she is so burnt out that she said it isn't fair on her or the pilgrims because she can no longer give the quality of service in her exhausted state. the service providers in SJPdP are drowning in tourists and a number are quite unpleasant toward them as they are so over the volume.

this is completely unsustainable for the locals and walkers. more walkers are coming with tents. this will come to a head at some point.

if you want to enjoy your camino and don't want to be severely anxious about finding a bed - I really suggest you let go of the dream of the Frances and try a different route. (that said, the northern route and the de puy routes have also got very high volumes this year, based on the numbers of pilgrims I walked past and talking to the locals on those routes).

rethink your plans if you want to 'enjoy' your camino.
I am currently in Luquin - and yes the Frances is busy, there are overflow people from Villamayor Mont Jardin here - but there are 2 free bunks in my room tonight. It is now 9.55 pm and just 45 min ago, at 8.10 pm, I rang ahead to Torres del Rio and got 3 beds for tomorrow for some Korean ladies who needed a bit of help. Yes I spoke to a Pilgrim today who spent the night in the Pamplona bus station, but we are only booking ahead 1 day and all is OK. Sure - the days of no watch, no phone and just walk to to the rhythm of your body and the sun are gone on the Frances, but the sky ain’t falling in - if we all stopped booking ahead a year in advance then….!!!!! Spreadsheet pilgrims - get a life. By the way - just did the Baztan. Met 2 pilgrims in 5 days and had 3 nights in albergues alone. Cooee

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
People constantly going on about which shoes, which pack, which special towel, which sleeping bag!
Please give newbies some leeway: They are about to embark on a journey of a lifetime, spending a lot of their savings, without having had their feet on the ground. Silly as some of their questions may be, to oldtimers, it is understandable: They just want to cover their grounds, uncertain about the unknown. It is easy, but not wise by us oldtimers, to whisk their "silly" questions away, IMHO.

Some travel long distances and want some reasurance, far away from their safe homes. Some have never been outside their homeland. Some think Spain/Europe is an underdeveloped area of the globe, whereas in fact it is the cradle of Western civilisation. Some think everything must be brought from home, while everything they need can be bought in Spain at lower prices and better quality (most often; My best socks have been bought in Castrojeriz, a small town on the Meseta).

Give anxious firsttimers some leeway, and ease their worries.I am happy to see that new people are coming to the Camino, and I sincerely hope that they find something new in their lives while walking. Oldtimers know exactly what I mean.

But I am weering away from the original topic here...

For my health and level of frustration staying kind has been consistently the way forward.
I agree, and try to be so. Both grumpiness and oversensitivity should be avoided, although we are all human. Sometimes, direct/blunt talk is appropriate and at other times it isn't. It can be hard to judge the situation.
Spreadsheet pilgrims - get a life.
I have a life, and my spreadsheets are part of it. Don't blame the tool.
But I am weering away from the original topic here...
Maybe, maybe not. This thread is providing us all with an opportunity to express some interconnected frustrations, and I think it is going surprisingly well.

The demographic is definitely changing. I walked my first Camino in 1990 aged 28 and most of those I met were about my own age or younger. Some pilgrim refugios at the time were simply bare floors without furniture so a sleeping bag and mat were essential. No luggage transport services so everyone carried their own pack. Very little private accommodation outside the larger towns - not enough for a bed every night. Longer stages than are common today. The net result was that the Camino then appealed more to a younger and more physically fit group than is typical today.

In 2007, age 55, much more accommodation etc than 1990 but I still understood that I may end up sleeping ‘on the church steps’ at some point.
Many carried their foam mat and still do.
Even on the Via last year, transport was needed once and some younger ones chose to sleep outside at one point.
To quote Jack R - expect the best, plan for the worst. 😃
I do empathise with those who are struggling wish them well - and good manners in their challenge. And blessings and patience to all who serve.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Time of the year was one of my biggest considerations and that's why I chose the 2nd week in May and not mid summer.
My problem is that I sometimes over plan and get bogged down with it and let it effect whatever I am doing so this time I have decided to chill a little and just make the start line and with most also saying "the Way and pilgrims will take care of you".
OP just spooked me a little
That's why I like to research. Mid-summer is actually less busy in SJPP (normally) than May. May and September are peak season for SJPP starts and it dips between them. Summer is busier for Sarria starts.

That said, don't get spooked too much. Chilling a little isn't a bad strategy. Just remember that with that comes flexibility. Be ready to be flexible with regards to accommodations when you get there.

Even on the Via last year, transport was needed once and some younger ones chose to sleep outside at one point.
I walked the VdlP in January last year and slept outdoors in a bivvy bag several times. The easiest way to break up some of the longer stages. You don't have to be all that young to do that now and again. :cool:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all, I'm not on the Camino yet but I will start to walk the camino Frances from SJPdP to Logrono on May 17. I only decided to go 10 days ago and have found it quite easy to organise all in that time.
I should say that I prefer to book my accommodation in advance, usually directly with the albergue, hostel, casa rural or hotel as I prefer that they receive the full amount rather than them being charged 15% commission by booking engines.I was in the hospitality business myself for 35 years!!
I have had no problem finding a place to stay,- not always my first choice - but thats really a First World problem! I will stay in the Roncesvalles albergue on my second night and found it very easy to book my bed,breakfast and dinner online. It's a great booking facility.
I know pre-booking isn't for everybody but it suits me best. Also I will mostly stay in a private room, again that suits me. I need my sleep and am a very cranky pilgrim without it.
I will walk around 25k each day - with poles, carry my backpack each day. light candles along the way, go to Mass some nights and really enjoy the food and wine too. Aswell as that I will get to meet people from all over the world.
Maybe this isn't everybody's Camino but it is mine. I think we each need to decide what works for us. For me, it's better to focus on how to do something I want to do rather than focusing too much on all the things that are wrong or not to my liking or what others think I should do.

I've walked the camino Ingles and to Finesterre, walked the Irish Pilgrim paths and other non pilgrim long walks aswell. They were all pretty quiet and to be honest, I'm looking forward to the buzz of a lot of people, all starting an ancient walk from an ancient place. I realise how privileged I am to have the health, time and resources to be able to do this.

I think maybe we might "rethink" our own approach to the Camino rather than the Camino itself.
P.s. I'm the changing demographic- 61!!🙏

It had not occurred to me that people were routinely booking multiple options only to cancel the unwanted ones at the last moment. I too disapprove of that and I do not do that. I prefer to make a plan and then stick to my plan. However, should I experience an injury or find myself approaching a dangerous Iberian wildfire or flood area or some other major problem that disrupts my trip and requires re-planning, I want to be able to cancel at no charge the bookings that I will not be able to use.

The free-cancellation feature offered by some lodging places comprises a part of their business plan. In many cases a free-cancellation reservation costs more per night than does a no-cancellation reservation. I feel no guilt about selecting the free-cancellation option and then cancelling if and when absolutely necessary. The only time I can remember having cancelled at short notice was during the year 2020 COVID global shutdown.
There's no question people do this, but it's difficult to tell how common it is and difficult to tell how long people hold on to unneeded reservations.

My sense is that people reserve a few places/locations over two or three days and adjust their reservations as they get a better idea of when they will be at a certain town/stage-- as things unfold they drop the ones they know they won't need. I don't have direct evidence of this-- it's just something I infer from various sources.

I know of a few places in smaller towns along the Camino who intentionally block out certain months or periods of time from availability on places like Booking()com even though they are actually nowhere near full.

I believe they do this because with the habit of some to "book and cancel" the business owner ends up missing out during those busy times because many of their potential customers think there is no availability.

I would encourage those faced with "no availability" to contact some of the places directly where possible.

(Of course, this is just a generalization and may or may not apply to any particular place to stay along the Camino. It obviously does not apply to places which don't take reservations. What I wrote is also specifically NOT meant to be an explanation of why the CF is apparently very crowded and is not an argument about that either way. It's just a piece of the puzzle.)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Back to the question of newbies and repetitive questions... Over the past several years, we have spent a good many hours tagging and organizing thousands of threads on the forum, to improve accessibility to information. I find it a bit frustrating when new members just plop themselves on the forum and ask questions that could easily be answered by a few minutes glancing at the tools available - e.g. the tag cloud at the bottom of the Forums page, all the sub-forums on the main Forums page, and even the FAQ. After a few questions and usually many answers, the new member disappears forever.

The Forum offers some structure, albeit very imperfect. However, many people seem to expect only customized one-on-one answers with little effort on their part, rather like the unstructured and rambling pages of Facebook, where the information is very hard to follow and retrieve. Are we doomed to descend into that style?

Last edited:
There's no question people do this, but it's difficult to tell how common it is and difficult to tell how long people hold on to unneeded reservations.

My sense is that people reserve a few places/locations over two or three days and adjust their reservations as they get a better idea of when they will be at a certain town/stage-- as things unfold they drop the ones they know they won't need. I don't have direct evidence of this-- it's just something I infer from various sources.

I know of a few places in smaller towns along the Camino who intentionally block out certain months or periods of time from availability on places like Booking()com even though they are actually nowhere near full.

I believe they do this because with the habit of some to "book and cancel" the business owner ends up missing out during those busy times because many of their potential customers think there is no availability.

I would encourage those faced with "no availability" to contact some of the places directly where possible.

(Of course, this is just a generalization and may or may not apply to any particular place to stay along the Camino. It obviously does not apply to places which don't take reservations. What I wrote is also specifically NOT meant to be an explanation of why the CF is apparently very crowded and is not an argument about that either way. It's just a piece of the puzzle.)
I think you are absolutely right. Many folks don’t know where they will stay from one day to the next so it makes sense to hold a few ‘cancellable options’ Standard practice for many!

I had a very intense discussion with a gentleman from the booking-it crowd last year. My point being, reservation or no reservation, number of beds is a given, number of pilgrims is a given. Reservation just means, you get the bed, not the other guy.
On the other hand, if there is no reservation and the number of beds is a given, the beds are going to go to those who leave earliest or walk the fastest. Those who race to their destination will get the bed, not the other guy. Is the racer inherently more deserving of the bed than the planner?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Back to the question of newbies and repetitive questions... Over the past several years, we have spent a good many hours tagging and organizing thousands of threads on the forum, to improve accessibility to information. I find it a bit frustrating when new members just plop themselves on the forum and ask questions that could easily be answered by a few minutes glancing at the tools available - e.g. the tag cloud at the bottom of the Forums page, all the sub-forums on the main Forums page, and even the FAQ. After a few questions, they disappear forever.

It's usually best on any forum to spend some time reading posts before jumping in with questions, since your question may already have been answered, or you may be able to formulate a better question after gathering a bit of information.

The Forum offers some structure, albeit very imperfect. However, many people seem to expect only customized one-on-one answers with little effort on their part, rather like the unstructured and rambling pages of Facebook, where the information is very hard to follow and retrieve. Are we doomed to descend into that style?

Let's hope not!

Back to the question of newbies and repetitive questions... Over the past several years, we have spent a good many hours tagging and organizing thousands of threads on the forum, to improve accessibility to information. I find it a bit frustrating when new members just plop themselves on the forum and ask questions that could easily be answered by a few minutes glancing at the tools available - e.g. the tag cloud at the bottom of the Forums page, all the sub-forums on the main Forums page, and even the FAQ. After a few questions, they disappear forever.

Yes, that is annoying sometimes. On the other side, when I started out here a few years ago, it was a bit overwhelming to work out how the forum structure works (even in a well structured forest you can get lost). I try to gently explain and link, and if I get frustrated I tune out.
The resources of this forum are invaluable, once you get the hang of it but that may take a bit of time, also depending on your cyber craftiness.

This is not what I needed to hear, I am off in several days on this route and with no rooms booked yet
We are there already with nothing booked either. A camino friend said today he just went to an alberque, not sure which one, before pamplona and there were 8 empty beds. People book but not pay, then don't turn up. The albergues lose and so do the pilgrims wanting to just 'wing it'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Also what some other fora do is to have a pinned post as the first post with a short 101 of forum structure, common questions, and the request to use the search option (with link) or the forum tree first before posting a question.
Maybe that is an option for here too? That may weed out some repetitive questions?

Have talked to 2 albergues who have zero reservations after mid-May, June, July. Everyone wants to walk in the spring & fall & have some sort of romantic notion that they can walk into a town & knock on a door to find a bed. Without a problem.
Sorry, but even the buses need to be booked in advance on busy routes.
I started 15 April & was surprised to hear Pamplona was booked out. Lots of pensions there if people would take a look on booking dot com. Cheap too!

So glad I booked my beds. I have zero stress. Pilgrims spending every break on their phones looking for a bed are stressed tho. Yet those of us who prepared, researched & reserved are somehow looked down on. I am older & cannot walk farther to the next town if there isn’t a bed for me.
I arrive SJPP on May 17 via Madrid-Pamplona. Have purchased my train and bus ticket already. Even have my return train ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid for June 24th purchased. All rooms in between booked. I work 10 hours a day as a chef under stress every day. Don't need the stress looking for a room or train or bus ticket. I just want to enjoy Spain and the Camino Frances and keep the stress to a minimum as I will be returning to work at the start of our busiest season.

Because the CF is generally through settled land (very civilized and gentle) and not a sort of wilderness is exactly why it attracts walkers who are not hikers and would never consider something like the Appalachian Trail. That's probably why they may not be familiar with the basic principles of hiking.

As the most famous of the Camino routes, with the strongest historic record and the strongest infrastructure, it isn't surprising that it is often recommended and chosen as a first route for someone new to the experience, someone who is likely to show up with the same sorts of questions we all were wondering before our first Caminos.

€149,-
Hi all. I have been asked to share my experience as a hospitalero in the Navarra section of the Camino; sorry if I keep it short, but I am pretty exhausted after a 12 hour work day... and it's not like I expect it to be different any day soon, so I may as well write today... I have not read the whole thread, only to about post #100, sorry but I am just so exhausted I couldn't go on...

Yes, this year there are exceptionally more pilgrims in this section of the Camino than any of the last four years which is what I can compare to: I first run my albergue in 2019 and although I had nothing to compare it against, I know it was higher in number of pilgrims than any year before that, as that had been the general trend year after year for quite some time up until then. Then 2020 we were closed because of covid; in 2021 we opened and it was a very slow year; 2022 was better but still 20-30% under the figures of 2019 I would say. But this 2023 is being really something out of this world!

In my past experience here in Navarra April had been the warming-up month: we used to open our season about a week before the start of Easter week and, with the exception of a couple of days during the actual Easter week, March-April did not use to be very busy at all, and we never had a full house; then May, along with September, was the busiest month of the whole year. However, this year we've had a month of April with nearly as many pilgrims staying as we had in May 2019, including about 10-15 days of full house. Yesterday and today (first two days of May) also a full house.

What amazed us the most, and confirmed that this was really a thing, is the email we got from the Tourism Office in Estella last weekend, which I paste next:

Buenas tardes:
Les informamos de que hoy en Pamplona han tenido una entrada masiva de peregrinos y que probablemente llegue entre uno o dos días para que no os pille por sorpresa.
Saludos,
Oficina de Turismo de Estella-Lizarra
Lizarrako Turismo Bulegoa

+34 848 42 04 85
Plaza San Martín, 4
31200 Estella-Lizarra
www.visitnavarra.es

In English it says "We inform you that today in Pamplona there has been a massive arrival of pilgrims that will likely arrive to you in one or two days, so you are warned" (the office that sent the email informs the albergues situated between shortly after Puente la Reina and Viana).

However and with all that said, I have had many days with vacancies, and the days I did have a full house I hardly had to turn down a few pilgrims each day, some days even no pilgrim at all; those I had to turn down from my doorstep I had no difficulty in finding them another accomodation in the first or second upcoming towns, and they either walked on or asked me to call them a taxi. No sky fell over no one's head, and except one couple who just happened to be very exhausted at the time and were not expecting the setback, everyone took it just fine.

As it's been said already by some, planning a little ahead and staying out of the standard stages does help a lot. Also starting in Pamplona can take out the stress of those first 2-3 days, especially with the bottleneck of Zubiri.
Another good advice has also already been mentioned in this thread: don't just trust booking(dot)com for availability: a lot of us do not open all our beds/rooms on booking(dot)com: also check the website of the albergue (if it has one) for availability, or directly call/email the albergue requesting; 2-3 days ahead better than 1-2 days ahead. I know this lessens the freedom of your day to day, but it also gives peace of mind, so it's up to you to find the balance between both ends.

Lastly, I would like every newby to be informed that the high season in the first section of the CF is not the Summer at all: the high season are May and September, while the Summer (August and especially July) are the low season; it's not like that at all in the last section of the CF (Galicia), where the Summer months are the busiest ones.
So someone starting in SJPP or in Roncesvalles-Pamplona in mid May is bound to get the worst of both ends: the busy May in Navarra and the pretty busy mid-late June in Galicia. While starting in April makes for a lot of a less stressful Camino: the quietness of April in Navarra and the relative quietness of May (at least compared to July-August) in Galicia. Starting in early June makes for a relatively free-of-bed-race full Camino. At least that's how it was until this (crazy, unexpected) year!

I've seen a few comments above about the Camino Frances being a "victim of its own success". I'm not so sure I can agree with framing the CF as a "victim". It reminds me of a post I saw recently on Facebook suggesting that the Camino needs "healing" because of the crowds. I disagreed with that, too. And my response would be similar.

I'm not sure that the Camino needs "healing" or is a "victim". My first Camino was in 1989 and my second was in 2016. At a conservative estimate, there were 50x as many people in 2016. Yes, there were more people last year than in 2016, but proportionally the increase was nowhere close to what I witnessed. And more this year thanb last year, but still nowhere close to what I (and Bradypus and others) have witnessed.

I certainly saw changes between 1989 and 2016. When I first arrived in O Cebreiro there was no albergue. There was one inn and when it was full, they might let pilgrims sleep in the pallozas. (It was full in 1989 when I arrived but they let me lay down my sleeping bag in front of the fireplace in the common room of the inn, so I didn't experience a palloza.) In 2016 there was a Xunta albergue and tons of hotels and souvenir shops.

But I found the Camino in 2016 every bit as rewarding as the Camino in 1989. Infrastructure isn't a bad thing. Fellow pilgrims are not a bad thing. While it is fashionable to complain about the "crowds" on the Camino, personally, I tend to like my fellow pilgrims and find they make my Camino better. While there are many things I am looking forward to on my upcoming Camino de Madrid, the lack of fellow pilgrims (more like my 1989 experience) isn't one of them.

In the Middle Ages, the Camino was bustling with many, many pilgrims and a lot of infrastructure. With a number of changes in Europe (the Reformation not the least of them) the Camino almost disappeared. That time of very few pilgrims, which the Camino was just emerging from when Don Elias painted the first yellow arrows and which the Camino was still just emerging from when I did it in the year of his death, was not the healthy Camino. It was the ailing Camino. It was then, if ever, that it was a victim - a victim of centuries of neglect.

Yes, there are times and places where it may be a challenge to find accommodation on the Frances. I suspect, however, that overall it is much easier to do find accommodation, and a wide range of accommodation options now than it was when I did my first Camino. Success hasn't made it a victim. Success has made it ... a success.

I do pre- book, but only at one place per night, if it seems too far or there was an injury we would take a cab, which is another way to have flexibility. I use a mix of direct contact and booking.com. This year, for probably 40% of the booking.com reservations, it states my credit card will be charged in advance anywhere from 4-8 days before arrival. If this continues it might discourage the multiple bookers. There is still the option to cancel just not the day before you arrive.

Lastly, I would like every newby to be informed that the high season in the first section of the CF is not the Summer at all: the high season are May and September, while the Summer (August and especially July) are the low season; it's not like that at all in the last section of the CF (Galicia), where the Summer months are the busiest ones.

This information is so important, and is something that I like to stress here on the forum.
Many people look only at the statistics from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, and think that July and August are the busiest months on the entire Camino. That's true for the last 100 km of all the routes, but not true at all for the first 700 km on the Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port.

Last edited:
That time of very few pilgrims, which the Camino was just emerging from when Don Elias painted the first yellow arrows and which the Camino was still just emerging from when I did it in the year of his death, was not the healthy Camino. It was the ailing Camino. It was then, if ever, that it was a victim - a victim of centuries of neglect.
We will probably just have to disagree on this one. I found the Camino in 1990 a very happy and optimistic place. Full of local people who positively welcomed the fairly small number of pilgrims and took real pleasure in stopping them in the street or the local bar to chat. I rarely passed through a town or village without a conversation and a handshake. A lot of genuine altruism and generosity. Still something of an experiment at the time but being kept afloat by much goodwill. There was not enough pilgrim traffic at the time for anyone to make a living from the Camino and I doubt that even the most optimistic would have predicted the spawning of many alternative routes or pilgrim numbers approaching half a million per year. I do agree that it makes little sense to call the Frances a "victim" of its success though. As we are seeing just now ever more people are still coming to walk a Camino. And this year seems to be reversing a recent decline in numbers starting from SJPDP or Roncesvalles. The Camino Frances in summer 2023 is not the experience I want for myself but clearly I am in a minority. I choose my routes and times accordingly and my January Camino Frances walk this year was a real joy. De gustibus non est disputandum!

I do pre- book, but only at one place per night, if it seems too far or there was an injury we would take a cab, which is another way to have flexibility. I use a mix of direct contact and booking.com. This year, for probably 40% of the booking.com reservations, it states my credit card will be charged in advance anywhere from 4-8 days before arrival. If this continues it might discourage the multiple bookers. There is still the option to cancel just not the day before you arrive.
As you say, you can be charged several days out bit this does not override the cancellation policy so I would see it as largely irrelevant, given how cheap the accommodation is!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We will probably just have to disagree on this one. I found the Camino in 1990 a very happy and optimistic place. Full of local people who positively welcomed the fairly small number of pilgrims and took real pleasure in stopping them in the street or the local bar to chat. I rarely passed through a town or village without a conversation and a handshake. A lot of genuine altruism and generosity. Still something of an experiment at the time but being kept afloat by much goodwill. There was not enough pilgrim traffic at the time for anyone to make a living from the Camino and I doubt that even the most optimistic would have predicted the spawning of many alternative routes or pilgrim numbers approaching half a million per year. I do agree that it makes little sense to call the Frances a "victim" of its success though. As we are seeing just now ever more people are still coming to walk a Camino. And this year seems to be reversing a recent decline in numbers starting from SJPDP or Roncesvalles. The Camino Frances in summer 2023 is not the experience I want for myself but clearly I am in a minority. I choose my routes and times accordingly and my January Camino Frances walk this year was a real joy. De gustibus non est disputandum!
It was the early green shoots of the beginnings of spring as it emerged from the winter of neglect. In 1990, the arrows had been painted. Some of the local associations had been started to support the pilgrims. But it was still much reduced from its earlier strength in the middle ages.

There is a lot to enjoy and be optimistic about in early spring as the first shoots emerge. I'm certainly not disagreeing with that.

I wrote "That time of very few pilgrims, which the Camino was just emerging from when Don Elias painted the first yellow arrows and which the Camino was still just emerging from when I did it in the year of his death, was not the healthy Camino." "That time" was the winter, from which the Camino was emerging into spring.

So, señoritas, señoras y señores “moderadores”, dontcha think it’s time to put this baby to rest? I’m a bit tuckered out from all the back and forth…😵‍💫

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
clearly, we agree that we are allowed to disagree…buenas noches😎

I have used booking.com on my two most recent Caminos and have never double-booked to cancel last minute. If this is a current trend, it gives those of us who now choose to plan our lodging ahead of time to reduce stress while walking a potential "bad name" and is rather disappointing.
Couldn't agree more...this has never been my practice on the Camino or on numerous overseas holidays. I'm slightly perplexed as to why anyone would do this; do they show up at the village/town after a day on the Camino and then walk to each of the pre-booked options to decide which is best/most appealing for them? Most would be flat out just making it to their own single booking or nearest available accommodation/albergue, let alone inspect a number of pre-booked alternatives. Maybe I'm missing something?

Back to the question of newbies and repetitive questions... Over the past several years, we have spent a good many hours tagging and organizing thousands of threads on the forum, to improve accessibility to information. I find it a bit frustrating when new members just plop themselves on the forum and ask questions that could easily be answered by a few minutes glancing at the tools available - e.g. the tag cloud at the bottom of the Forums page, all the sub-forums on the main Forums page, and even the FAQ. After a few questions and usually many answers, the new member disappears forever.

I agree it must be frustrating especially given all the backend work that goes into structuring a forum like this. Speaking for myself I will always do the majority of my own research using a combination of Google, Facebook groups, my hard copy guide books and this forum and I'm very grateful for all these wonderful resources. And yes I'm a spreadsheet planner. 😂 But if I'm vexed about something and coming up short, or overwhelmed with the vast content in my google search, or if I think that the information available may not be the most current only then would I be inclined to ask. But I guess we are all different. :)

It's important for everyone to feel comfortable to ask, otherwise the content of this forum might as well be archived and available only in read mode. But the value of this forum is not just the content and information, it's the interaction and a feeling of belonging. And sometimes that's all the "newbie" poster may want. It's very difficult for "newbies" to break into well established forums and often a question is just to break the ice or test the waters. It might help to remember that when responding to annoying newbie questions. Just my thoughts. :)

Buen camino everyone, and be happy! We are all here with a common cause: to plan or help with a Camino prep. How amazing is that!

It's important for everyone to feel comfortable to ask, otherwise the content of this forum might as well be archived and available only in read mode. But the value of this forum is not just the content and information, it's the interaction and a feeling of belonging. And sometimes that's all the "newbie" poster may want.

Thank you for this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Speaking strictly for myself as an experienced through-hiker and mountain climber - the Camino will be VERY different from my past hikes. The gear and clothing is different (smaller pack, much lighter and higher temp sleeping bag/liner, trail runners rather than boots, preparation for days of heavy rain, no tent or sleeping pad, no shelter tarp, cooking gear etc.).

I would argue that the "basic principles of hiking" depend upon where, when, how, and why you are walking.

NOT traveling in "a sort of wilderness" has meant I need to adjust my mindset about walking and the Camino itself has made me rethink almost everything.

Not to mention the most important part of all- the spiritual aspect.

So please dear Pilgrim Fransw, be gentle. There is always more behind it than you can imagine.
I don't think people realize how different planning for a long distance Wilderness Hike and a Camino is. On a Wilderness hike - you really have to be prepared for so many circumstances, with limited to no access to services for days, and your pack is usually very heavy - it is strange to realize how little you really need on the Camino. You really have to change your entire mindset. And yes - I didn't just reduce gear, I changed the type of a lot of my gear, including clothing, towel, and sleep system choices. My pack didn't just shrink going from hiking parts of the Pacific Crest Trail - it has also shrunk from Camino 1, to Camino 2, to Via Francigena. Anyhow - feel free to private message me if you have more questions that you think I can help with.

Last edited by a moderator:

If everyone did that there'd be no new threads!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It had not occurred to me that people were routinely booking multiple options only to cancel the unwanted ones at the last moment. I too disapprove of that and I do not do that. I prefer to make a plan and then stick to my plan. However, should I experience an injury or find myself approaching a dangerous Iberian wildfire or flood area or some other major problem that disrupts my trip and requires re-planning, I want to be able to cancel at no charge the bookings that I will not be able to use.

The free-cancellation feature offered by some lodging places comprises a part of their business plan. In many cases a free-cancellation reservation costs more per night than does a no-cancellation reservation. I feel no guilt about selecting the free-cancellation option and then cancelling if and when absolutely necessary
I don’t want to contribute to yet another Camino ethics debate. Rather, I want to contribute to the general picture of what people are doing as to accommodation and booking. My approach is similar to yours, @Pilgrim9: I book or reserve only one room / bed for the same date. I have made use of advantageous (24 hour) cancellation options, although rarely. Or I switched a booking from one day to the next day without penalty. I’ve also lost my deposit / guarantee a few times - it’s my free choice to provide for and arrange accommodations as I see fit. And as you said, it’s part of an agreement that I’ve entered and it has advantages and disadvantages for both partners.

Privately owned albergues who do not work with a deposit/credit card guarantee rely on agreements made by phone, email or WhatsApp. I don’t know to what extent current peregrina@s make several bookings for the same day and don’t even cancel them so that these beds become only available after say a 3pm deadline in the afternoon … we can rant about it all we want but I noticed this morning (as I was curious about what pilgrims are writing in the FB Camino groups about the current situation) that this is “advice” that is traded there. Such behaviour contributes to the impression that “everything” is booked and that albergues end up with empty beds at the same time.

As I said we can rant about this all we want or try to educate peregrina@s about good practice and I don’t know how widespread this is.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree. The questions here, which bra, towel, no loo roll in cafes (!) etc surprise me greatly, what do we do in day to day life? Think for yourselves people, can this forum be kept for relevant information about the Camino, which is what I expected when joining?

I don’t want to contribute to yet another Camino ethics debate. Rather, I want to contribute to the general picture of what people are doing as to accommodation and booking.

My approach is similar to yours, @Pilgrim9: I book or reserve only one room / bed for the same date. I have made use of advantageous (24 hour) cancellation options, although rarely. Or I switched a booking from one day to the next day without penalty. I’ve also lost my deposit / guarantee a few times - it’s my free choice to provide for and arrange accommodations as I see fit. And as you said, it’s part of an agreement that I’ve entered and it has advantages and disadvantages for both partners. On one such occasion, I rang a pension around 6 pm to say that I was not coming as we had stopped earlier than planned and had luckily gotten the last room in a casa rural; it was a last minute decision. I felt it was the decent thing to ring … although that conversation was a disaster as we could not find a common language, neither Spanish, nor English, nor French worked and while I was trying to say in 3 languages that I did not care about the money and just wanted to let her know that she did not need to wait for us, the owner was airing her anger because she believed that I wanted the money back … 😵‍💫

Albergues who do not work with a deposit/credit card guarantee rely on agreements made by phone or email. I don’t know to what extent current peregrina@s make several bookings for the same day and don’t even cancel them so that these beds become only available after say a 3pm deadline in the afternoon … we can rant about it all we want but I noticed this morning (as I was curious about what pilgrims are writing in the FB Camino groups about the current situation) that this is “advice” that is traded there. Such behaviour contributes to the impression that “everything” is booked and that albergues end up with empty beds at the same time.

As I said we can rant about this all we want or try to educate peregrina@s about good practice and I don’t know how widespread this is.
Good post. I think many people have a plan A and a plan B that necessitates multiples bookings on the same day and as long as they adhere to the T & C’s it will work for them and they will be penalised if not! I am fine with folks making multiple booking as they do airlines and restaurants. You win some and you lose some.it’s very standard practice across those that travel frequently. To not so so may leave you short of your plan A destination with no bed, hoping to get a bed or relying on taxis!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Okay, last night my albergue, with a capacity for 100, had two empty beds. The crowd at dinner were fun to talk with; their level of enthusiasm despite their concerns was lovely to behold.

In Mañeru, there are two bars. Given the number of people who passed me (and I left Puenta la Reina after the majority at my albergue had left), I expected the bars to be packed. As you reach the park, there are two signs for the bars: one points towards the church, the other goes the same direction as the yellow arrow. I went to the one ‘off piste’ by the church. There was not a single pilgrim in sight. The terrace was empty, the only inside customers were a half dozen locals. So second breakfast was had in peace as an occasional stray pilgrim did wander in and out.

I’m counting on the municipals and parochials to stand their ground and refuse reservations. So long as this large crowd have pre-booked, there should be beds (insha’allah).

think many people have a plan A and a plan B that necessitates multiples bookings on the same day and as long as they adhere to the T & C’s it will work for them and they will be penalised if not!
Privately owned albergues who are oriented towards pilgrims as Gronze defines it and who work without a deposit/credit card guarantee system do not have an option to penalise - they rely on an honour code that has not been put in writing anywhere. That honour code includes the idea of solidarity with the community. Making multiple bookings for the same day and then even letting a 3 pm deadline pass for such mulptiple bookings except one does not fit the idea of solidarity.

Absolutely agree. The questions here, which bra, towel, no loo roll in cafes (!) etc surprise me greatly, what do we do in day to day life? Think for yourselves people, can this forum be kept for relevant information about the Camino, which is what I expected when joining?
For some people these questions ARE relevant information. Who are we to judge how relevant a question is?

As written before, people save money to do this, they pay a lot of money to come to Europe, and have no idea of what to expect. On a forum like this we can help, we can reassure them, give good information about the how, where, when .... We all did it for the first time, we all were nervous and had no idea of what to expect.

Nobody is obligated to answer questions about bra's, towels, loo rolls; you can just skip these topics.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Privately owned albergues who are oriented towards pilgrims as Gronze defines it and who work without a deposit/credit card guarantee system do not have an option to penalise - they rely on an honour code that has not been put in writing anywhere. That honour code includes the idea of solidarity with the community. Making multiple bookings for the same day and then even letting a 3 pm deadline pass for such mulptiple bookings except one does not fit the idea of solidarity.
Sorry should have been clear.. I was only talking about online bookable accommodation mainly via booking.com as I never use any other methodology! They of course always have penalty clauses. Agree that if no penalty, or options to chose between cancellable and non refundable, folks should not be multi booking.

Spread Sheeter here. I love sitting in front of a fire on an icy winter night with a glass of red wine, guide books and a pile of maps.
And I'm a gear-freak, love to planning small and light stuff for once, never went on a trip whithout my huge minus 30C sleeping bag and layers of wool ;-) judge me, I'm guilty :cool:

It is interesting how planning/preparation for the Camino is in some way divided. A large proportion of the questions that we ask and discuss on the forum is about equipment. Which size of pack, boots versus trail running shoes, walking poles or not and if so which type and brand. Water bottles versus bladders, which size and how to carry conveniently, etc., etc. And socks! – a source of endless (and sometimes funny) discussions. Just to mention a few subjects. Weight optimization of course– how do we choose our equipment to minimize the load we have to carry on our backs? You know the ‘classic’ ones: cut half the handle off your toothbrush, squeeze half of the toothpaste out and remove the cardboard tube from the roll of toilet paper. When we start our Camino, we are totally prepared and optimized with respect to equipment. We also go through a lot of planning to optimize our journey to the start of the Camino (and back) which is only natural, as some have to travel half way around the world to get there. And then, after all that detailed and time consuming planning, we stop – or at least some of us do. One of the most important parts, where will we sleep each night for perhaps 30+ days, is left unplanned.

The thing is, if we neglected planning of our equipment, journeys, etc. in the same way, if we just threw some random clothes into some random bag and rushed to the airport hoping to catch a flight going somewhat in the right direction, wouldn’t we expect to run into some problems (challenges)? From that perspective, it doesn’t seem so strange that we sometime have to deal with challenges with respect to lodging if we come unprepared.

Just a thought…. :)

€60,-
I could not agree with you more! Far too much negativity.

is not a panic email. it's a view from being on the ground right now.
I'm in Boadilla del Camino now and the onlt time everything was booked fully was during the week previous to and immediately around the long weekend. Locals travel and stay in albergues too.

In my friends albergues in Belorado and here in Boadilla and many of their friends places along the Camino F, they are only full...if full...when people book several places in one day and don't cancel. Therefore holding up the beds.

I always travel the Frances at this time of year but I plan around holidays, weekends and stay off stage. Easy peasy.

I don't doubt that it's very busy right now. Spring is always busy for those who start in St. Jean. Maybe even a bit more so this year than usually.

But I don't think that justifies a general warning not to walk the Francés. Often it is busy one week, and much less so just a few weeks later.

I'd happily walk it again as soon as possible, and will continue not to book ahead (or very rarely so) when I walk, as I've always done without major problems.

I've been warned that I won't find accommodation without making reservations countless times by the "booking it" people.

But in reality I never had an issue finding a bed or mattress on the floor at least, apart from one single time in Pamplona during San Fermin (which is a time of total madness and gigantic crowds in the city, so stupid planning mistake on my part). Skipped a section and went to Puente La Reina and got a bed in an almost empty albergue... without reservation, as a 8pm walk-in...

I've walked the Francés or parts of it four times by now, during april/may/june/july/august, including last year, which was a holy year, arriving in Santiago in august, which is so busy during that time that from O Cebreiro onwards you're basically part of a neverending giant conga line until Santiago. It was sometimes annoying, but even there, if you walked in the afternoon, you were walking more or less alone, and there were still beds available, unless you travelled with a cat, which is what I was doing since O Cebreiro. For catless pilgrims there were still beds, even for walk-ins.

There's a ton of fearmongering and panic about beds and crowds, and has been for many years, and it's not always based on facts but often enough mainly on fear, hearsay and thinking that "Can't find the kind of accommodation I want" - for example private rooms - or "don't want to/can't add 5kms at the end of the day" or "everything is booked out in booking.com" (even though the parroquial without WiFi next door is still is half empty!) is the same as "there are no beds".

I'm not in St. Jean right now, and not on the Camino, so maybe I misinterpret the situation completely and it's like Pamplona during San Fermin on the whole Francés now... But even if. Carry a sleeping mat and a decent sleeping bag and you'll be fine in any overflow, sports gym, fire station ect. Add a lightweight tarp and albergue gardens can be your dormitory, too.

If you're looking for a hotel to send your suitcase to and don't carry more sleeping gear than a silk liner, it might get more difficult of course.

Wish I could just take the train to find out. If I were into gambling I'd bet you can still find accommodation in the non-bookable munis and parroquials, as always...

Last edited:
The thing is, if we neglected planning of our equipment, journeys, etc. in the same way, if we just threw some random clothes into some random bag and rushed to the airport hoping to catch a flight going somewhat in the right direction, wouldn’t we expect to run into some problems (challenges)? From that perspective, it doesn’t seem so strange that we sometime have to deal with challenges with respect to lodging if we come unprepared.
That’s an adventure!

I walked into Lorca, asked at the less crowded bar/albergue if by chance they still had a lower bunk available. The delightful lady did some math, said ‘don’t worry, come with me’ and led me across the street where the competition still had several lower (and upper bunks available). I’ll be having a beverage at the first lady’s place shortly.

The bar between Cirauqui and Lorca is gone. Overgrown with weeds. It would have been too much to think that business could survive covid.

If Lorca didn’t have a bed, I’d have caught the bus to Estella and tried the parochial.

Agree 150%

€60,-
some of the hyperbole is seeming to suggest that St Jean is the new Sarria

Good post. I think many people have a plan A and a plan B that necessitates multiples bookings on the same day and as long as they adhere to the T & C’s it will work for them and they will be penalised if not! I am fine with folks making multiple booking as they do airlines and restaurants. You win some and you lose some.it’s very standard practice across those that travel frequently. To not so so may leave you short of your plan A destination with no bed, hoping to get a bed or relying on taxis!
This is all very frustrating to me. (the double booking and having a plan A/plan B reservation) Have I ever double booked 2 places for the same night? Yes! But I do so only in the early stages of planning. I don't stay double booked up to the last couple days before arrival. In fact, usually if I do this - it is many weeks/months in advance during early planning stages. Right now - I do have 2 places reserved for Calais on the Via Francigena because my original reservation was canceled due to the accommodation deciding to close it's doors - so I booked 2 places because I am waiting to see if either is willing to accommodate a late arrival since I am due to arrive right around the end of their advertised check in time and might be up to 30 minutes beyond that. So - I booked both, and messaged both with my arrival plans so they can tell me if they are OK with the late arrival. I have heard back from one, but not the other. I have also done it while trying to figure our how to line up multiple nights of accommodations based on what is available in decent walking distances before/after that accommodation. But I would never even think to do so up until the last minute, especially if the place isn't a huge hotel or chain hotel. It isn't fair to the businesses to do so. It isn't fair to the other people who need to find a bed. And yes - if this is happening, it would undoubtedly add to the appearance that there is more of a bed race than there really is. It would add to the chaos/confusion. As for Calais - I will most likely cancel one of those reservations today, which is several weeks still before arrival (I only booked them 2 days ago).

To me, having ONE reservation would be the Plan A. But plan B would be to cancel that reservation as early as possible if I can't make it due to an unforeseen circumstance and find another place at that time . Or the opposite - plan A would be to plan to "wing it" and then make a reservation the same day if I am worried there might not be a bed in the town I am planning to walk to. Not have 2 reservations up to the last 24/48 hours or so or cancelling one the same day or day before. And if heaven forbid I can't make it to my reservation and there is no plan B option within a reasonable walking distance - then plan C would be to take that taxi to a nearby town if necessary. I prefer that - than people reserving beds they aren't going to use because by doing that - I might be forcing other people to take that taxi. Again - not fair to the owner of the accommodation and not fair to other pilgrims looking for a bed not knowing one is available because someone is going to cancel at the last minute.

Have I ever cancelled a reservation last minute on the Camino or elsewhere? On a couple occasions. But I did let the accommodation know as soon as I knew I wouldn't make it - which was pretty early. I do try my best to avoid that situation, but sometimes things are out of our control.

And yes - I agree with Kathar1na that albergues who take reservations without deposits do so on the honor system - and would expect plenty of notice should one have to cancel that reservation. It would be a shame if they were forced to stop that practice due to people not showing up or cancelling without plenty of notice.

I live on the Camino, and help to run three donativo municipal albergues.
IMHO, winging it is essentially pilgrim. It's throwing yourself into providence, ready to take what you get.
If you're winging it, you are ready to sleep in the sports hall or the firehouse. You might even be prepared to see if sleeping on the porch of the church will kill you. (these all are real options, even today!)
If you're a pilgrim, nobody owes you a bed at night. You walk the Camino, and adjust yourself and your expectations as circumstances demand.
Sure, some comfy people planned ahead and grabbed the rooms and beds and sit in the plaza drinking beer while the Wing-It crowd looks around for a place to land... and they sometimes land some interesting places. Adventures are often miserable while they're happening.
They are doing just like millions of pilgrims have done in these towns, for hundreds of years before there were hotels and Booking.com and apps and Ivar's Forum, or even sports halls and firehouses.
Some pilgrims will have uncomfortable nights and grubby days, while others will sleep sweetly and always look "put together."
Which ones will have great adventure stories to tell when they get home?

€60,-
The bar between Cirauqui and Lorca is gone. Overgrown with weeds. It would have been too much to think that business could survive covid.
Sorry but can you make clear here which bar was there between Cirauqui and Lorca that is now gone? I don't think there has ever been such a bar in that stretch of Camino so just wanting to make sure you are not mixing it up with another place... Thanks!

There's a ton of fearmongering and panic about beds and crowds, and has been for many years, and it's not always based on facts but often enough mainly on fear, hearsay and thinking that "Can't find the kind of accommodation I want" - for example private rooms - or "don't want to/can't add 5kms at the end of the day" or "everything is booked out in booking.com" (even though the parroquial without WiFi next door is still is half empty!) is the same as "there are no beds".

I'm not in St. Jean right now, and not on the Camino, so maybe I misinterpret the situation completely and it's like Pamplona during San Fermin on the whole Francés now...

If you have not been in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port or even on the Camino during the last weeks, why judging about 'fearmongering and panic'?
My experiences are based on facts: I have seen the overwhelming amount of pilgrims in Roncesvalles during my stay there from April 8th till April 21st, I was there in the same period last year, I can compare with last year and we had twice as much pilgrims as last year in April.
I have tried to help people desperate to find a bed when they were exhausted and could not walk anymore ...

Googling "drinking water Spain" gives millions of different recommendations.. I still think it is relevant what most pilgrims do both in terms of plastic waste and their own health. Choose what you want to read, the headlines are warnings ;-)

Or decide that people must have some experience with the Camino to join the forum. Be kind, we are all different, but just humans :)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry but can you make clear here which bar was there between Cirauqui and Lorca that is now gone? I don't think there has ever been such a bar in that stretch of Camino so just wanting to make sure you are not mixing it up with another place... Thanks!
It was just after going under the aquaduct. It made it into Brierley’s 2018 map edition. There are some abandonned buildings there. The bar was not there in 2013, but was there when I passed by in 2016.

It was just after going under the aquaduct. It made it into Brierley’s 2018 map edition. There are some abandonned buildings there. The bar was not there in 2013, but was there when I passed by in 2016.
Ok. I'm in the area since late 2018 and I don't think that bar has been there since that time, so it must have gone during 2018 or earlier (not covid related).
Thanks for making that clear!

is not a panic email. it's a view from being on the ground right now.
It is very very true. The camino is a great experience and a beautiful place to be, but I would have never picked this route had I any idea how hard finding a bed is every night. I have walked 8 caminos and this is my third Frances. It has never been this crowded. And I am on the camino right now. Sally Jane is right I would reconsider the Frances.
Jennifer

If you have not been in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port or even on the Camino during the last weeks, why judging about 'fearmongering and panic'?
My experiences are based on facts: I have seen the overwhelming amount of pilgrims in Roncesvalles during my stay there from April 8th till April 21st, I was there in the same period last year, I can compare with last year and we had twice as much pilgrims as last year in April.
I have tried to help people desperate to find a bed when they were exhausted and could not walk anymore ...

Like I said, I don't doubt it's very busy right now.

But I still doubt that a general warning not to walk the Francés is warranted, as the opening post of this thread did.

Some of the recent posts about accommodation on the Francés are borderline hysteric, so sorry if I don't take them 100% by word as general advice for the next year or even longer, as is suggested in this thread.

I've been told about the awful bed race too many times, and never witnessed it in person. Maybe that's why I find it difficult to believe that it's as bad as the opening post claims. As a human it is easy to trust your own experience more than someone else's word. That might be a mistake on my part, or not.

I understand that people walking right now do stress about accommodation and that it is very difficult at the moment, but
there's always ways to get by. It might not be the most comfortable experience to sleep in an overflow or even under a church porch or under the stars for a night, nor is adding 5 or 10k to your walk when you're tired, or taking a bus or taxi to another place. But it's not the end of the world.

Also, who can look into the future? Will it be as busy in three weeks as it is now? Or will the Francés be more quiet in summer, as usual (apart from the last 100k of course)? Nobody can know right now.

So is it right to frighten the pilgrims that will walk later this year, to put them.off their walk, because of the current situation?

Personally, I don't think so.

But again I might be wrong.

Thank you for helping other pilgrims to find places to stay, by the way.

I don't want to doubt your experience, to make that clear. If I understand it correctly you're in the middle of the madness right now so you know what you're talking about.

I just find it sad that the opening post of this thread basically suggests that the Francés is so awful at the moment that nobody in their right mind should walk it at all this year, or ever in the near future.

That's such an extreme statement that I find it very difficult to believe that it's completely true.

Thanks, this was very useful information for me. I would very much like to decide on a route, Potoguese is also on my wish list. If you had to choose PC or NC Aug/Sept and were a beguinner, which would you choose? know everyone has personal preferences and maybe an impossible question. I want to see all the places and do any route, but don't want to walk in a queue or worry too much for where to spend the night.. (speaking spanish is ok, know some..)
This may sound counter-intuitive, but if you really want to start in August, you should do the Camino Francés from SJPP. (but maybe keep an eye on how numbers go in July) You'll be ahead of the September rush. There are options to avoid the very busy section after Sarria by switching to the Invierno at Ponferrada.

But, to answer the question you asked, I would go for the Portuguese.

It is interesting how planning/preparation for the Camino is in some way divided. A large proportion of the questions that we ask and discuss on the forum is about equipment. Which size of pack, boots versus trail running shoes, walking poles or not and if so which type and brand. Water bottles versus bladders, which size and how to carry conveniently, etc., etc. And socks! – a source of endless (and sometimes funny) discussions. Just to mention a few subjects. Weight optimization of course– how do we choose our equipment to minimize the load we have to carry on our backs? You know the ‘classic’ ones: cut half the handle off your toothbrush, squeeze half of the toothpaste out and remove the cardboard tube from the roll of toilet paper. When we start our Camino, we are totally prepared and optimized with respect to equipment. We also go through a lot of planning to optimize our journey to the start of the Camino (and back) which is only natural, as some have to travel half way around the world to get there. And then, after all that detailed and time consuming planning, we stop – or at least some of us do. One of the most important parts, where will we sleep each night for perhaps 30+ days, is left unplanned.

Just a thought…. :)
I think it is a combination of two things:
  1. Equipment is something we can plan. The more important aspects of a Camino simply cannot be planned.
  2. Equipment (at least some of it) is something we need to sort out before leaving. We need a backpack, shoes, and a water bottle before walking. Yes, we may change them along the way, but these are things we need to get us started. We can't leave home without them. (Yes, I know we can just show up with a credit card and buy them in SJPP or Sarria, but that is still buying them before we start walking, not figuring them out along the way.
In terms of where to stay, I don't think we can possibly have the information before we start walking to optimize, especially on our first Camino. All of the research we do is really important information to help optimize, but other factors will also come into play: how we are feeling, who we are walking with, what the weather is like, etc. That why I like, as much as possible, to research but make as few commitments as possible. It's a bit easier now to plans for my stages with more confidence as I've started to get a better idea of how far I like to walk each day. But while I will book the first few days in advance, I still don't think I would book the whole Camino in advance given a choice. I don't have as much information as I will have on the road and some important factors are unknown at this point.

I think it is a combination of two things:
  1. Equipment is something we can plan. The more important aspects of a Camino simply cannot be planned.
  2. Equipment (at least some of it) is something we need to sort out before leaving. We need a backpack, shoes, and a water bottle before walking. Yes, we may change them along the way, but these are things we need to get us started. We can't leave home without them. (Yes, I know we can just show up with a credit card and buy them in SJPP or Sarria, but that is still buying them before we start walking, not figuring them out along the way.
In terms of where to stay, I don't think we can possibly have the information before we start walking to optimize, especially on our first Camino. All of the research we do is really important information to help optimize, but other factors will also come into play: how we are feeling, who we are walking with, what the weather is like, etc. That why I like, as much as possible, to research but make as few commitments as possible. It's a bit easier now to plans for my stages with more confidence as I've started to get a better idea of how far I like to walk each day. But while I will book the first few days in advance, I still don't think I would book the whole Camino in advance given a choice. I don't have as much information as I will have on the road and some important factors are unknown at this point.
I actually think people on this forum probably do more research and planning into equipment than the average pilgrim (but I could be wrong). It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are people who just throw some clothes in a pack and go.

I actually think people on this forum probably do more research and planning into equipment than the average pilgrim (but I could be wrong). It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are people who just throw some clothes in a pack and go.
That's what I did on my first Camino. Admittedly, this forum didn't exist then. None of the resources then talked about what to pack.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are people who just throw some clothes in a pack and go.

Me neither. On my 2018 Camino I several times ran into the same, elderly man walking in very warn blue jeans and a pink sweater with holes in it, carrying his belongings in two plastic shopping bags.

There’s room for everyone :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
there are about 500 people every day going through the pilgrims office in SJPdP every day currently.
I just find it sad that the opening post of this thread basically suggests that the Francés is so awful at the moment that nobody in their right mind should walk it at all this year, or ever in the near future. [...] That's such an extreme statement that I find it very difficult to believe that it's completely true.

I removed the names of the posters from these quotes because it does not matter who wrote it. First of all, I hope that @Ianinam does not mind me saying this: She has been a hospitalera at Roncesvalles more than once and she is a member of the group of volunteers from the Netherlands who help with managing the Roncesvalles albergue. She is our best source of information about numbers of pilgrims passing through. So I think that there is no doubt that current numbers are exceptionally high compared to previous years for the month of April.

Dire predictions for the whole year and the whole Camino Francés, based on very limited temporary information and freely extrapolated data without a sound basis are a regular occurrence on the forum: every year in May and also in September. The number of "500 pilgrims" is a favourite. I tried to find a thread from years ago when we joked about 500 pilgrims raring to go daily who were kept in sheep pens just outside SJPP and only released in batches but I could not find this memorable thread.

I did find threads in several years where "500 pilgrims" were (really or supposedly I cannot say) overwhelming Roncesvalles and flooding the small towns of the Estribar valley. The oldest such entry dates from April 2010:

I read a post on a blog that said about 500 pilgrims a day passed through Roncesvalles during Easter's holy week and they were put up in tents in the field below.

🙃

Last edited:
Dire predictions for the whole year and the whole Camino Francés, based on very limited temporary information and freely extrapolated data without a sound basis are a regular occurrence on the forum: every year in May and also in September. The number of "500 pilgrims" is a favourite. I tried to find a thread from years ago when we joked about 500 pilgrims raring to go daily who were kept in sheep pens just outside SJPP and only released in batches but I could not find this memorable thread
We should all mark our calendars for the first week of September for another flurry of "the Camino Francés is overcrowded" posts.

We should all mark our calendars for the first week of September for another flurry of "the Camino Francés is overcrowded" posts.
I will be able to give you live updates as I am volunteering that week in the Pilgrim Office in St Jean Pied de Port.Was there last year at the same period volunteering there for the first time and it was hectic.

Couldn't agree more...this has never been my practice on the Camino or on numerous overseas holidays. I'm slightly perplexed as to why anyone would do this; do they show up at the village/town after a day on the Camino and then walk to each of the pre-booked options to decide which is best/most appealing for them? Most would be flat out just making it to their own single booking or nearest available accommodation/albergue, let alone inspect a number of pre-booked alternatives. Maybe I'm missing something?
More likely they do something like this:

Town A- Place 1 - Reserve June 18th
Town A- Place 2 - Reserve June 19th

Town B- Place 1 - Reserve June 19th
Town B- Place 2 - Reserve June 20th

Town C- Place 1 - Reserve June 20th
Town C- Place 2 - Reserve June 21st

Once they get a better idea of when they will get to Town A, they cancel one or the other. If they need a rest day along the way, they cancel one or the other. Same with Town B and C and on and on.

If folks are more unsure of how it's going to go, they might make even more days of reservations of one town.

We can see that this method can easily at least double the reservations made, causing certain places to be "full" when they are not.

(This is just an informed guess. I don't have direct evidence of this happening.)

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back