• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rethinking my timetable

Adam Cundiff

Time of past OR future Camino
February 15, 2015 - March 15, 2015
Hey all, after doing some research about times of the year to go and walk the camino. I was wondering what some more experienced people would think about me holding off on going for a few months, instead of going in February maybe thinking more of like may or June, possibly a little earlier. I have been looking at weather reports and the cold is scaring me away a little bit because i'm I'll prepared and the possibility of albuergue closures and avalanche warnings in the Pyrenees.

I guess my question is I can wait a few months would it be a good idea? Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think you would be wise to put it off. I'm sure there are some winter pilgrims that think this weather is wonderful, but I wouldn't want to do it. I've heard May tends to be rainy, but more will be open.

Gosh, we don't know what you are like or what you are seeking. Could be a real adventure now, but maybe more predictable later. I was looking forward to hearing about someone "on the road" at this time of year.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gosh, we don't know what you are like or what you are seeking. Could be a real adventure now, but maybe more predictable later. I was looking forward to hearing about someone "on the road" at this time of year.

Shoot, yeah, I have just now been doing my research and I'm not at all into snow and cold. I want to walk the camino, but I know myself and I feel like I would have a much better experience with warmer weather and with more people. Me and my friend didn't do the greatest job researching our options either.

I think you would be wise to put it off. I'm sure there are some winter pilgrims that think this weather is wonderful, but I wouldn't want to do it. I've heard May tends to be rainy, but more will be open.

Ok, I definitely wouldn't consider myself to be someone who loves winter. Thankfully I will can easily change around my flights for not too much money. But I might take a day or two to sit on it.

Ok, I definitely wouldn't consider myself to be someone who loves winter. Thankfully I will can easily change around my flights for not too much money. But I might take a day or two to sit on it.
It's good that you have the flexibility to rethink and research some more before deciding what is right for you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Only you (and your friend) can know what you want and can do, but as I just wrote in another thread: There is no rule that you have to start in the Pyrenees, you can start wherever you want and feel comfortable with!
Buen Camino! SY

I would have a much better experience with warmer weather and with more people
There is your answer. Winter caminos are an acquired taste. Most who have done them, love them; but they add a lot of discomfort.

I have walked from early May into June and from August into September. Made a decision to try late May this year to get better weather but then again I am just a big softie!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Northern Spain is on the same latitude as the northern states in the US and there are several mountain ranges which remain snow capped even in the summer. The February weather reports don't surprise me at all.

For me, April and May are wonderful months. It's chilly, but not freezing, and there are fewer pilgs on the trail.

I did the Camino del Norte in Jan/Feb - changed from the Frances at the last minute because it's a few degrees warmer on the coast than inland, and rarely snows. I personally enjoyed it, although it was definitely not a 'comfortable' experience: really difficult and lonely at times, and many practical things I hadn't considered in advance: not only closed albergues, but those that were open didn't have heating, so everything stayed wet for days!

I think that if you come now you'll have an great experience no matter what, but if you're having doubts and the luxury of changing flights etc, then I'd do as some others have recommended and come in April/ May.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey all, after doing some research about times of the year to go and walk the camino. I was wondering what some more experienced people would think about me holding off on going for a few months, instead of going in February maybe thinking more of like may or June, possibly a little earlier. I have been looking at weather reports and the cold is scaring me away a little bit because i'm I'll prepared and the possibility of albuergue closures and avalanche warnings in the Pyrenees.

If you are worried about the weather try going in September/October. The weather is great and you would not have to worry about the albergues being closed. My second choice would be May/June. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Hi - welcome to this forum - if you hunt around on it you will find recent reports of people walking it in the winter, and their experiences. Unless you are at least somewhat experienced in winter hiking, and have the equipment to make it a success, I think you would be better off waiting for warmer weather. I've done a lot of winter mountaineering in New Hampshire, the Rockies, the Alps, etc, but I know myself well enough to know I enjoy more clement weather as I've gotten older. I walked in the fall, had great weather, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm hoping to go back maybe this summer for a short stint, or more likely the following year to redo the whole thing from SJPDP. While a lot of the sections are probably very easy to walk even in nasty weather, some of them are not. So wait a few months, do a lot more research here and elsewhere, walk as much as possible between now and then, and then go and enjoy this incredible walk. And keep us posted on what you decide (some of us live vicariously via other's planned caminos until we can return to our addiction of walking to Santiago once again). Buen camino - Cherry

Hi - welcome to this forum - if you hunt around on it you will find recent reports of people walking it in the winter, and their experiences. Unless you are at least somewhat experienced in winter hiking, and have the equipment to make it a success, I think you would be better off waiting for warmer weather. I've done a lot of winter mountaineering in New Hampshire, the Rockies, the Alps, etc, but I know myself well enough to know I enjoy more clement weather as I've gotten older. I walked in the fall, had great weather, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm hoping to go back maybe this summer for a short stint, or more likely the following year to redo the whole thing from SJPDP. While a lot of the sections are probably very easy to walk even in nasty weather, some of them are not. So wait a few months, do a lot more research here and elsewhere, walk as much as possible between now and then, and then go and enjoy this incredible walk. And keep us posted on what you decide (some of us live vicariously via other's planned caminos until we can return to our addiction of walking to Santiago once again). Buen camino - Cherry
I forgot to mention - some people from Australia I met on here before I left and walked with initially (and have stayed in touch with ever since) went back the following spring and were raving to me about all the flowers and how green it was, and how we all had to do it again next spring. So May and June sound really nice to me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.