• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rethinking plans (and baggage transport)

GettingThere

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
C. Frances sections Apr-Jun 2019
Well, it has certainly been an interesting journey since my mother and I decided over a year ago that we would walk the Camino Frances from St Jean this September. Apart from all the usual planning and intermittent panic, we have both been plagued by the most amazing array of (mostly) minor health issues. None of which are serious enough to stop us, but it's been one thing after another and it kinda gets you down after a while! Whoever said the camino starts from the moment you decide to do it was so right! This forum has been the most amazing source of encouragement and reassurance over the past year.

Anyway, the string of minor stuff culminated a couple of months ago in my fit and strong 78-year-old mother falling and sustaining a compression fracture to one of her thoracic vertebrae. She has recovered well, and the injury didn't stop her continuing with our practice walks, although we shortened them for a while. Carrying weights is another matter, however. She has been told she's fine to carry a pack, but is still getting sore after carrying one for only a few km. We're now less than four weeks from departure, and I've realised that we are probably looking at having to get her pack transported. We were already planning on staying in hostales and casas rurales etc rather than albergues, so had already started booking accommodation and will continue with that as we go. We're now looking at using Jacotrans or similar services as well - something we hadn't previously considered at all. This is disappointing for my mother, but there's no way we can risk further injury (more than might normally be expected in walking 800km that is!) so I'm assuring her it's no problem to organise, which I hope is true. I'm having one of the above-mentioned panics I think.

I've read lots of helpful threads on this forum about baggage transportation services, so I know it's possible to do. One thing I'm not sure about though, is places where Jacotrans will pick up and collect bags. I've read in other threads that they don't pick up from everywhere, and from looking through the lists of accommodation on Jacotrans website I can see this is the case - a few places we have planned to stay are not listed (in at least one case the village itself is not listed).

Does anyone know what happens when the accommodation (or the village itself) are not on their list? Are they flexible about this? And - this sounds pathetic I know, but my Spanish is not great despite attempts to learn - how much Spanish is needed to communicate with them?

Thank you in advance for any advice, wonderful forum members!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Did not use them but most of the Light Weight backpackers put their heavy stuff in their vans/taxis. My novia did try to use them once and that specific albergue refused to call them. My understanding is that they will pick up your gear anywhere and deliver it to wherever you choose. You do NOT have to have reservations at the place they deliver your gear as all albergues or hotels will hold it for you. You do not need Spanish to arrange for their services. People seemed to be very happy with their services in May and June.

Oh, Jacotrans is NOT the only game in town--lot of locals also transport gear between hotels/towns for a few Euros. Lot of wise hikers use taxis to hump their rucks--as the very wise young woman told me, "I only get one Compostella and it is not for the pack being carried to Santiago". Not being very wise, I carried my pack from SJPDP to Santiago.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I believe you are very wise in considering using Jacotrans, especially for your mother. I met a number of people who relied on them and heard nothing but praise concerning their service. The only hesitation I would have personally, is the loss of spontaneity in deciding where to stop, but since you are reserving in advance, that is a moot point. I second what Laurie said--contact them and let them know your plans. I suspect they will work with you. Buen Camino.

Well, it has certainly been an interesting journey since my mother and I decided over a year ago that we would walk the Camino Frances from St Jean this September. Apart from all the usual planning and intermittent panic, we have both been plagued by the most amazing array of (mostly) minor health issues. None of which are serious enough to stop us, but it's been one thing after another and it kinda gets you down after a while! Whoever said the camino starts from the moment you decide to do it was so right! This forum has been the most amazing source of encouragement and reassurance over the past year.

Anyway, the string of minor stuff culminated a couple of months ago in my fit and strong 78-year-old mother falling and sustaining a compression fracture to one of her thoracic vertebrae. She has recovered well, and the injury didn't stop her continuing with our practice walks, although we shortened them for a while. Carrying weights is another matter, however. She has been told she's fine to carry a pack, but is still getting sore after carrying one for only a few km. We're now less than four weeks from departure, and I've realised that we are probably looking at having to get her pack transported. We were already planning on staying in hostales and casas rurales etc rather than albergues, so had already started booking accommodation and will continue with that as we go. We're now looking at using Jacotrans or similar services as well - something we hadn't previously considered at all. This is disappointing for my mother, but there's no way we can risk further injury (more than might normally be expected in walking 800km that is!) so I'm assuring her it's no problem to organise, which I hope is true. I'm having one of the above-mentioned panics I think.

I've read lots of helpful threads on this forum about baggage transportation services, so I know it's possible to do. One thing I'm not sure about though, is places where Jacotrans will pick up and collect bags. I've read in other threads that they don't pick up from everywhere, and from looking through the lists of accommodation on Jacotrans website I can see this is the case - a few places we have planned to stay are not listed (in at least one case the village itself is not listed).

Does anyone know what happens when the accommodation (or the village itself) are not on their list? Are they flexible about this? And - this sounds pathetic I know, but my Spanish is not great despite attempts to learn - how much Spanish is needed to communicate with them?

Thank you in advance for any advice, wonderful forum members!
Due to major spinal reconstruction surgery last September my husband cannot carry a full backpack so he is having a small bag transported each day. I went through the Jacotrans website to make enquiries and then booked online. They will only take online bookings for accommodation actually booked and confirmed. Jacotrans reply came back through Hike Tech - you will see their add on the Forum page. Their email address is

info@hike-tech.com

After submitting their form I received an account which I have paid and they emailed the luggage tag to go on his bag.

I asked what happens if the place is not on their list and they told me just to put in the name of the town, and the name of the place for pickup. I guess they know all the roads and places well.

I too am struggling learning some Spanish but I figure Jacotrans or other transport agencies are dealing with pilgrims all day, every day and must have ways of communicating.

Also don't let your mum feel less of a pilgrim because she is not carrying a backpack. We are walking in gratitude that my husband's surgery was successful as he was facing life in a wheelchair, so while he may not be carrying a full backpack he is very much a pilgrim in my eyes. I actually call him "Miracle Man".

When are you leaving? We arrive in SJPP on the 4th September, have the 5th there and start walking on the 6th. Might catch up somewhere out there!

Buen Camino

Thanks so much for these very helpful and reassuring replies. I'm going to start by e-mailing Jacotrans as suggested, as my Spanish can cope with that if I've got time and a dictionary or Google Translate to hand!

Sriyantra, how wonderful that your husband is able to walk the camino - and that he'll have you with him! We'll be leaving St Jean on the 3rd September, going via Valcarlos and stopping there the first night. We'll be taking it fairly slowly, so you will probably catch us up!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much for these very helpful and reassuring replies. I'm going to start by e-mailing Jacotrans as suggested, as my Spanish can cope with that if I've got time and a dictionary or Google Translate to hand!

Sriyantra, how wonderful that your husband is able to walk the camino - and that he'll have you with him! We'll be leaving St Jean on the 3rd September, going via Valcarlos and stopping there the first night. We'll be taking it fairly slowly, so you will probably catch us up!
You don't need to translate as the Jacotrans page should come up translated. If not there should be an icon to choose a language.

Will keep an eye out for you. We have Forum badges and Kangaroo patches on our backpacks. How special that you will be walking with your Mum. You will always have wonderful memories of your time together on the Camino.

Buen Camino

Did not use them but most of the Light Weight backpackers put their heavy stuff in their vans/taxis. My novia did try to use them once and that specific albergue refused to call them. My understanding is that they will pick up your gear anywhere and deliver it to wherever you choose. You do NOT have to have reservations at the place they deliver your gear as all albergues or hotels will hold it for you. You do not need Spanish to arrange for their services. People seemed to be very happy with their services in May and June.

Oh, Jacotrans is NOT the only game in town--lot of locals also transport gear between hotels/towns for a few Euros. Lot of wise hikers use taxis to hump their rucks--as the very wise young woman told me, "I only get one Compostella and it is not for the pack being carried to Santiago". Not being very wise, I carried my pack from SJPDP to Santiago.

Re "All albergues will hold it for you". This is not so for the Confraternity of St James albergues in Rabanal del Camino [Frances] and Miraz[del Norte]. They will refuse to accept delivery of bags and if directed there they are sent on to another delivery point. They are also unable to offer accommodation to walkers who have had their luggage brought forward in this manner without a pertinent reason. Please do not ask me what comstitutes a pertinent reason - the hospitaleros in charge at the time will make that decision.

Re "All albergues will hold it for you". This is not so for the Confraternity of St James albergues in Rabanal del Camino [Frances] and Miraz[del Norte]. They will refuse to accept delivery of bags and if directed there they are sent on to another delivery point. They are also unable to offer accommodation to walkers who have had their luggage brought forward in this manner without a pertinent reason. Please do not ask me what comstitutes a pertinent reason - the hospitaleros in charge at the time will make that decision.
Pertinent reason? Now don't tell me I have to take the xrays showing 8 by 2.1/2 inch x 3/8 inch coach screws screwed into my husband's vertebrae along with a series of plates tying his spine together, and to that add cages on the discs to stop bulging - just to prove why he is having his "luggage brought forward" and why we should be given a bed - A$44,000 worth of titanium in fact! I think I would cry after all he has been through not to be allowed a bed! ;) This is what he has had done and I'm certainly not going to take xrays with me, but thanks for the warning and it is interesting to note what you have said.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...We'll be leaving St Jean on the 3rd September, going via Valcarlos and stopping there the first night. We'll be taking it fairly slowly, so you will probably catch us up!

GettingThere,

Glad to learn that you will be going via Valcarlos! Check out what other pilgrims and I have written about this 'lower route' through the mountain pass.

Will you be staying in the municipal albergue or private accommodation? I always stop at the municipal which is wonderfully heated for autumn/ winter. Nearby the Hostal Marcelino serves a good menu de dia (and also has private accommodation).

Do be prepared with adequate water and snacks for walking from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles (16 k). There are no further stops for provisions once you start out.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Will you be staying in the municipal albergue or private accommodation?
We're planning to stay at Hostal Maitena, as for various reasons we've decided to stay in places we can have our own room. Thank you so much for those helpful tips, Margaret. It was your comments in particular about the Valcarlos route on various other threads which influenced me in choosing to go that way.

Does anyone know what happens when the accommodation (or the village itself) are not on their list? Are they flexible about this? And - this sounds pathetic I know, but my Spanish is not great despite attempts to learn - how much Spanish is needed to communicate with them?!
I did the Frances last year and had my backpack transported. Did the Norte/Primitivo this year and had my backpack transported. On the CF, the transport companies spoke English, you can text/email them also. When an alberque is closed (in November) they would leave the pack at a nearest bar or another alberque. Although rare, some municipal alberques will not accept pack delivery. Always have the alberque you are staying in call the company to confirm your transfer destination. If the pack could not be delivered the company will know and tell you where it will be redirected. This happened to me at Burgos municipal. On the norte/primitivo you need to speak Spanish enough to communicate with those taxi's that do the transport. And most municipal alberques won't accept luggage because they are not open until around 4pm. I had to choose private alberques.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While we only had our bags transported one day due a short-term health issue, it is not necessary to reserve ahead with the baggage transfer services, and in fact may be unwise to do so because that ties you to a schedule that you may not be following once you get started. Every albergue has a supply of tags (actually a combination tag/envelope) for one or more transfer services, and all you have to do is ask for a tag, fill it out with your name and destination for that day, place the required fee in the envelope, attach it to your backpack and leave it at the designated place in the albergue. The transport service comes by, picks up your backpack, and, like magic, it will be waiting for you when you arrive at your destination later that day. Be aware, however, that like any human endeavor, problems can occur -- but apparently not very often. Bags can get misplaced or delivered to the wrong destination, or (rarely) get lost or stolen. Be sure to take all valuables with you in a smaller day pack, and be prepared to spend a night without your "necessities" if the worst should happen. Advice: Be sure you provide the correct name and location for the drop-off point for your backpack.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We used transport when my knee gave in and then when my husband's shins could barely carry him, let alone his pack too. I was going to go on with my backpack as I was well by then... Until I caught a glare sent my way from the man (who probably should have been in a taxi too) that said loud and clear (his non-verbal language can be impressive)- No way am I walking without a pack if you keep yours... Soooooo, who was I to argue? It was so very nice to just walk and not carry... :)

We used David (the name of the service). It was 3 euros per bag and we kept the things we needed with us.

Please note that it is not just CSJ refugios that usually do not accept luggage sent ahead.

Generally you cannot book ahead at most municipal refugios or at church or association-run refugios which are staffed by volunteers and paid for by voluntary contributions. These are run as first come, first served basis aimed at pilgrims travelling independently. In order to serve those most in need of a bed they often will give priority to walkers over cyclists and usually will not accept large groups or pilgrims that have luggage sent ahead.

The overriding concern is to provide a place to sleep for tired pilgrims who have walked/cycled as far as they are physically able and not to allow pilgrims using vehicular assistance for simple convenience to queue-jump by reserving a bunk with their bag. Whilst this can seem very unfair to pilgrims in genuine need of luggage assistance, I am sure you will appreciate that it is impossible for a volunteer warden to tell from just looking at a rucksack delivered to the refugio door whether its owner is physically unable to carry it. I hope this explains the reasons behind the general policy.

However, if a clearly disabled pilgrim who was having their luggage carried presented themselves (not just their luggage) at a CSJ refugio the hospitalero would have full discretion to give them a bed if there were spaces left. An hospitalera currently on duty at Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal has just said this”The notice on our door does state that we do not normally accept pilgrims with assisted travel. It is often very clear to see when an honest and open pilgrim has used transport to assist, e.g when ill or with much leg strapping etc., when a 'peregrino mayor' arrives or when somebody is open about a particular condition, we do not need to see the x- rays of course. We are also happy to assist with onward transport when we have an ill or struggling pilgrim.”

I am sure that this discretionary approach would apply at other refugios too.

Since there are plenty of privately-run albergues on the Camino Frances that will allow advance booking and accept luggage sent in advance it should not be a problem to reserve accommodation all along the way and have your mum's bag transported.

Your mum is definitely not less of a pilgrim for having her bag carried and I hope you both have a very rewarding camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

On behalf of the Confraternity I would like to clarify the issue of pilgrims who wish to stay at Rabanal or at Miraz and have vehicle assistance in one form or another. These albergues do not accept reservations. Pilgrims are admitted on a first come, first served basis. To accept deliveries of rucksacks would implicitly to accept reservations. The reason we have thise policy is that it is very disheartening for pilgrims to walk long distances to discover that there are no beds avaible because they have been taken in advance. For a siliar reason we do not permit pilgrims who have vehilcur support to stay, it is disheartening for tired pilgrims who have carried thier rucksack during the day to find that beds have been taken by pilgrims who, however justifiably, have not carried their rucksack during the day. At Rabanal there is plenty of alternative accommodation. At Miraz, the alternative accommodation is less plentiful, but it does exist.

Pilgrims with some degree of incapacity, of course, are admitted without question. At Miraz we have dedicated rooms and facilties for such pilgrims as we appreciate that their support is of an entirely different nature.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back