• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Retired couple from Aukland sets out on Camino

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's got me thinking - we should walk to the airport too! Except that we are closer to 30km away.

What a great way to start! Hmmm, yes, I think I'm about 40km away by motorway, but I really like the idea of starting from my front door like this. Lovely article about a lovely couple - I met Joy and Bruce last year (in Spanish class!) and they were well into their training then. I hope they have a wonderful time - buen camino to them!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yeah, it's over 300 kilometers from my house to the airport, so that ain't happening for me. But I am excited for the Crabtrees! Buen Camino!

Nice article! I like the idea of walking to the airport, too, but it is 30 km by highway and probably a lot more by walkable roads. As a compromise, I'll walk to the local bus stop and get a public bus to the airport.

Great stuff Joy and Bruce
Lovely story. You will be inspiring a lot of people! Your village at home will be watching your progress and sending support as will we.
With your preparation'
'You'll walk it in' !! With bells on !
Buen Camino
Annie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's got me thinking - we should walk to the airport too! Except that we are closer to 30km away.

Just checked on Google Maps. Am only 3.2 km walking distance from Palmy airport- have no excuse for not walking there really!- except someone usually offers to take me to the airport. Bit far for me to walk to Auckland though- almost another Camino distance in itself- and even Google Maps tells me to fly to Auckland!

All the best to the Crabtree couple. Thanks for sharing the link Falcon.
Margaret

I have no excuse either Margaret.
Te Araroa (the walking trail along the length of NZ ) is about 100metres from my doorstep. Of course it would take me about 10 days to walk to Auckland Airport. ;-)
You can stay with me when you get to Auckland (assuming you're coming from the north, otherwise you'd be overshooting the motorway to get here!) Our albergue has four bunks in each room, two toilets, wifi, only 2km from supermercado and panaderia....specialties could include wood-fired pizzas with salad you pick from the garden for communal dinner, a bowl of hearty porridge for the morning and homemade bread and cheese to take on your way as you leave.

Great story. I am inspired by walking to the airport which is 250 miles from my house. I think I will be lazy and drive to the airport spend a few days with our daughter and then start the Camino as I envisioned it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have the Crabtrees done their camino yet? I haven't seen any mention on the web since that article.
As to starting from one's door - I also am 20 min away from Te Araroa, but still 40km or so away from WLG airport as the crow flies ,and I'm thinking to walk segments after work in the week before I leave, whizzing back to home to sleep, starting out where I left off the day before, repeating as necessary so I end up really close to the airport in time to catch a very early flight!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.