• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Retro/old camino photos

Togabogie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
As someone who likes all art history etc and photos, is there any access to a library to old camino photographs of pilgrims/alberques / well known sites of the way available i.e 60s/70s onwards?? Ime guessing there werent many pilgrims with cameras then but just wondering!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For those interested in "how it once looked" check out the images in this 1963 Spanish newsreel showing three male pilgrims in capes walking from Burgos to Fromista along a barren windy meseta path. >> http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Camino- ... n-1963.htm. Perhaps these atmospheric black and white images helped influence Luis Bunuel's famous 1969 fantastic film The Milky Way/La Via Lactee which depicts two pilgrims walking back through time along the camino.

For additional earlier views check out the various posts in this earlier thread

Happy research!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I get an error message when trying that link
Same here. It looks like a browser problem with playing mp4 files and I'm already fed up with trying to fix it. So I put Peregrinación 1963 into the YouTube search field. Not only did I get the short video that @mspath has mentioned but also several movies from the Spanish public broadcaster RTVE about the Camino de Santiago. One from January 1955 and another one from January 1970. I find them very interesting. It may not be what the OP is looking for as it doesn't have any people walking with a backpack but it shows how present the Camino de Santiago and its patrimony and heritage was in the collective consciousness in Spain in the 1950s to 1970s, long before most of us had ever heard of it.

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/documentales-color/camino-santiago/2892519/ (1970)
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/documentales-b-n/camino-santiago/2845385/ (1955)

Last edited:
I get an error message when trying that link o_O
BC SY
Sorry about the error! The newsreel is visible in this earlier post
Same here. It looks like a browser problem with playing mp4 files and I'm already fed up with trying to fix it. So I put Peregrinación 1963 into the YouTube search field. Not only did I get the short video that @mspath has mentioned but also several movies from the Spanish public broadcaster RTVE about the Camino de Santiago. One from January 1955 and another one from January 1970. I find them very interesting. It may not be what the OP is looking for as it doesn't have any people walking with a backpack but it shows how present the Camino de Santiago and its patrimony and heritage was in the collective consciousness in Spain in the 1950s to 1970s, long before most of us had ever heard of it.

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/documentales-color/camino-santiago/2892519/ (1970)
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/documentales-b-n/camino-santiago/2845385/ (1955)
Ok thank you all for taking the time in answering my question, ive just received those there now so will check out those when i finish work👍

Yes great stuff and love it !! Very interesting!! Ide like to thank all of those to take time and reply to my message😊 times have changed on the camino but the spirit is still the same!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Yes thats what ime talking about katherina thank you

I cant understand the spanish but were the perigrinos priests or just pilgrims??
I had been waiting for @mspath to answer as she is very knowledgeable in these things and knows where the links are but now my lack of patience is getting the better of me 😇. The three pioneering peregrinos of the year 1963 were members of the Camino Association in Estella. Here is an overview of the story in Spanish but Google Translate or another machine translation can give you the gist of it.

A few quotes:

Anyone wishing to know how the mass phenomenon of today's Camino de Santiago began must look to Estella. It was in this town that we formed the second Association of Friends of the Camino de Santiago worldwide. The first such association had been established thirteen years earlier in Paris (Société des Amis de Saint-Jacques de Compostelle). Our association was the first to carry out work to recover the Way taken by pilgrims of the past, to make the Way known to a wider public, and to lay the foundations for rehabilitating and recovering its extremely rich artistic, cultural and spiritual heritage.

In 1963, three young members of our association set out to cover the almost 800 km from Roncesvalles to Santiago, investigating the original pilgrim route and drawing up reports on future pilgrims' needs, the state of the route and the infrastructure and service offer in the villages. In particular, they set out to indicate places where it would be convenient to build fountains, service stations for cars, hotels, inns etc etc.
We can say, without exaggeration, that Estella, a town that had been created in the 11th century to serve the Camino de Santiago, laid the foundations for the modern pilgrimage.

Translated with the help of www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In 1963, three young members of our association set out to cover the almost 800 km from Roncesvalles to Santiago
I see now that one of them was actually a priest at the time but he left the priesthood later to become a full-time historian and author.

Last edited:
In particular, they set out to indicate places where it would be convenient to build fountains, service stations for cars, hotels, inns etc etc.
Translated with the help of www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
It is interesting that, although these three pilgrims walked the route, the initial idea of pilgrimages on the Camino seems to have been more inclusive of those done by car than is now the case, as is evidenced by scouting out where the service stations should go to support pilgrims.

had been waiting for @mspath to answer as she is very knowledgeable in these things and knows where the links are but now my lack of patience is getting the better of me
Patience is a virtue,
Possess it if you can,
Rarely found in a woman,
But NEVER in a man!!
Sorry youre sentence made me think of that old saying!!
Thanks for youre knowledge kathar1na, i find the history of the camino is potentially fascinating!! not only the obvious religious history ,but logistics, structure,planning, war and politics ime sure played a part of influence over the centuries and something which i shall have to research and look into:)
Funnily enough i loved estella and the whole feel of the place but only stayed the 1 night in it obviously and didnt know the importance of it in relevance to the camino association.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.