• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Return from Burgos

Jacintha Warren

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully this coming year
I'm hoping I might get as far as Burgos from SJDP on this trip but my flight is back from Biarritz. Any advice on my best route (bus/train) back to Biarritz? Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm hoping I might get as far as Burgos from SJDP on this trip but my flight is back from Biarritz. Any advice on my best route (bus/train) back to Biarritz? Thanks
Hi
I have done this already (Flew to Bilbao, then bus and train to Bayonne, SJPP, later back from Burgos to Bilbao)
If you haven't been there yet: Biarritz and Bayonne are practically one city.
IMO best connection:
1. Bus from Burgos to Bilbao (roughly every hour, ALSA, 1:50 travel time www.alsa.es)
2. From Bilbao you can take the next Bus to Irun/Hendaye again ALSA, about 2 hours. To Spanish-French Border. About ten buses a day.
The buses meet in Termibus Terminal in Bilbao. Tickets can be bought at the bus station at the counter, on vending machines there and even online.

Be aware that it is the proud of the bus comanies that the bus starts on time. If the horario says at 14:00 expect it to leave at the exact time.You can easily miss the bus. Ask the staff at the station for the correct platform (="anden")
3. In Irun Hendayae the bus terminates at the railway station. From here take a commuter train to Hendaye station. If you want to walk, it is just about one and a half kilometers.
4.From Hendaye there are regular trains to Bayonne. Even the TVE to Paris starts from here and stops in Biarritz/Bayonne

Railway travel in Spain is possible from Burgos to Bilbao and on to Irun, but this is more exciting and trains are not running as often as busses. There are also different rail systems in spain: Narrow gauge northern network (FEVE), and partially paralell in the north broad gauge (RENFE) as well and the High Speed trains, which partially run on the same tracks as the french railways.
Price Burgos Bilbao ALVIA High speed, two trains a day about 10€, two more regular trains a day about 19€, all nearly 3 hours as running on same track, from Bilbao to Hendaye it is the narrow gauge train.
You would need to take the train to Donostia/San Sebastian the Euskotren Linea 1 from Bilbao Atxurri station to San sebastian. This is not the main Railway station. You could walk it in 30 minutes -45 minutes, or take a taxi. Then the Metro Donostialdea from Donostia to Hendaye/Hendaya.

I love to use the train in spain, but it is a bit more adventurous.

Enjoy your camino!

Here a link to my video diary

Last edited:
ALSA bus from Burgos to San Sebastian.

ALSA or PESA bus from San Sebastian/Donostia to Biarritz Airport.

Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun Renfe Station.

Euskotren Metro Donostialdea train from Irun Colon to Hendaia. Colon station is across the bridge over the tracks from the Renfe Station. Hendaia is co-located with Gare d'Hendaye. This section is 3 km and can be done on foot or taxi.

Transports64 bus #816 from Gare d'Hendaye to Biarritz Airport

SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Biarritz. Chronoplus bus C from Gare Biarritz to Anglet/Biarritz Airport.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ALSA bus from Burgos to San Sebastian.

ALSA or PESA bus from San Sebastian/Donostia to Biarritz Airport.

Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun Renfe Station.

Euskotren Metro Donostialdea train from Irun Colon to Hendaia. Colon station is across the bridge over the tracks from the Renfe Station. Hendaia is co-located with Gare d'Hendaye. This section is 3 km and can be done on foot or taxi.

Transports64 bus #816 from Gare d'Hendaye to Biarritz Airport

SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Biarritz. Chronoplus bus C from Gare Biarritz to Anglet/Biarritz Airport.
Thank you so much for this information, it's a big help

Hi
I have done this already (Flew to Bilbao, then bus and train to Bayonne, SJPP, later back from Burgos to Bilbao)
If you haven't been there yet: Biarritz and Bayonne are practically one city.
IMO best connection:
1. Bus from Burgos to Bilbao (roughly every hour, ALSA, 1:50 travel time www.alsa.es)
2. From Bilbao you can take the next Bus to Irun/Hendaye again ALSA, about 2 hours. To Spanish-French Border. About ten buses a day.
The buses meet in Termibus Terminal in Bilbao. Tickets can be bought at the bus station at the counter, on vending machines there and even online.

Be aware that it is the proud of the bus comanies that the bus starts on time. If the horario says at 14:00 expect it to leave at the exact time.You can easily miss the bus. Ask the staff at the station for the correct platform (="anden")
3. In Irun Hendayae the bus terminates at the railway station. From here take a commuter train to Hendaye station. If you want to walk, it is just about one and a half kilometers.
4.From Hendaye there are regular trains to Bayonne. Even the TVE to Paris starts from here and stops in Biarritz/Bayonne

Railway travel in Spain is possible from Burgos to Bilbao and on to Irun, but this is more exciting and trains are not running as often as busses. There are also different rail systems in spain: Narrow gauge northern network (FEVE), and partially paralell in the north broad gauge (RENFE) as well and the High Speed trains, which partially run on the same tracks as the french railways.
Price Burgos Bilbao ALVIA High speed, two trains a day about 10€, two more regular trains a day about 19€, all nearly 3 hours as running on same track, from Bilbao to Hendaye it is the narrow gauge train.
You would need to take the train to Donostia/San Sebastian the Euskotren Linea 1 from Bilbao Atxurri station to San sebastian. This is not the main Railway station. You could walk it in 30 minutes -45 minutes, or take a taxi. Then the Metro Donostialdea from Donostia to Hendaye/Hendaya.

I love to use the train in spain, but it is a bit more adventurous.

Enjoy your camino!

Here a link to my video diary

That is so comprehensive, thank you very much! I guess I'm hoping I'll make Burgos, and if I do it will be by bus back to Biarritz I think, it all looks very doable and also lots of buses. I really appreciate the time you took to give me all of this info. I will check out your video later, thanks again

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back