• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

Return of Compostela

Year of past OR future Camino
Hi, Can I please ask for anyones help or advice re getting back my Compostela and Credential from the Pilgrims Office please. Let me explain. In March 2019, I hiked the Kumano Kodo in Japan, walking from Tanabe through to Katsuura, via Kumano Hongu. Along the way, I completed the Kumano Kodo Credential and had it stamped at Hongu, where I was advised that I could become a Double Pilgrim by completing the Camino De Santiago. The Credential was a special document to me.

So on the 18th February 2020, I embarked on the Camino de Santiago, leaving from Lisbon, Portugal. As I went along, the Covid 19 Pandemic was spreading through Portugal and Spain, but I eventually arrived in Santiago on the 16th March. By this time lockdowns were in place, so I decided to go straight to the Pilgrims Reception office. When I got there, it was closed with a sign saying that you should put your Compostela into an envelope, with you name and address details on it and leave it in the box on the door. The notice said the Compostela would be send to you with your other documents. I thought that as a Double Pilgrim, I should also leave my Kumano Kodo Credential as well which I did.

I have sent numerous emails to the Pilgrims Office and rung and spoken to staff there over the months. I have been told they will send my documents back to me, but I have received nothing. I would really like my Credential and Compostela returned to me, but am not having any success.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone please advise me how or who I can contact to get my documents back ?

Many thanks,

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Hi, Can I please ask for anyones help or advice re getting back my Compostela and Credential from the Pilgrims Office please. Let me explain. In March 2019, I hiked the Kumano Kodo in Japan, walking from Tanabe through to Katsuura, via Kumano Hongu. Along the way, I completed the Kumano Kodo Credential and had it stamped at Hongu, where I was advised that I could become a Double Pilgrim by completing the Camino De Santiago. The Credential was a special document to me.

So on the 18th February 2020, I embarked on the Camino de Santiago, leaving from Lisbon, Portugal. As I went along, the Covid 19 Pandemic was spreading through Portugal and Spain, but I eventually arrived in Santiago on the 16th March. By this time lockdowns were in place, so I decided to go straight to the Pilgrims Reception office. When I got there, it was closed with a sign saying that you should put your Compostela into an envelope, with you name and address details on it and leave it in the box on the door. The notice said the Compostela would be send to you with your other documents. I thought that as a Double Pilgrim, I should also leave my Kumano Kodo Credential as well which I did.

I have sent numerous emails to the Pilgrims Office and rung and spoken to staff there over the months. I have been told they will send my documents back to me, but I have received nothing. I would really like my Credential and Compostela returned to me, but am not having any success.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone please advise me how or who I can contact to get my documents back ?

Many thanks,
Perhaps someone who lives in Santiago like @SYates or @ivar can help?

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
I have sent numerous emails to the Pilgrims Office and rung and spoken to staff there over the months. I have been told they will send my documents back to me, but I have received nothing.

Hi, if you have already tried that and have spoken to them, there is little more I can do, I am sorry. Could it be that they have send your documents and they got lost in the post/mail?
SY

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo

Many thanks,

Goodness, I can understand how bad you must be feeling. After having come so far and done so much, and having all those steps recorded in those documents, I'd be feeling the same say.

What to do now is a hard question. I am not sure that even people living in Santiago can help at the moment - because of the pandemic the city is in lockdown and I'm not sure the Pilgrims Office is even attended. It needs someone who has a direct contact by telephone with someone who works inside the Pilgrims Office. @natefaith or @ivar or @JohnnieWalker?

jl

Veteran Member
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
The post is VERY difficult from Spain. I know that Ivar has been unable to send things via the normal post for much of the year. The other issue is that overseas planes are not frequent and so that also takes times. I know that even within Aust the post is taking weeks longer than it was pre covid. I know of one invite posted here 5 weeks before the function arrived the week after! If the Pilgrim Office said they would send it I am sure it will be done - but their hands are tied as to when post is leaving Spain and no doubt it will be sent slow mail too. Hopefully in the next few weeks you will get a pleasant surprise.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

RRat

Planning 2017

Many thanks,
Perhaps because I have mine, I don't find it as precious as my stamped credential and my guide book with my notes. From time to time I will review my pictures and compare them to my credential and notes.

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
@RRat I think the problem is that he is talking about his stamped credential from SJPDP as well as the Kumano Kodo credential. So not just the Compostela certificate.

RRat

Planning 2017
@RRat I think the problem is that he is talking about his stamped credential from SJPDP as well as the Kumano Kodo credential. So not just the Compostela certificate.
My point is there is only a problem if you want there to be a problem. I wish I had taken many more pictures and written more detailed notes. But in no way does it minimize the actual experience which is much more valuable than any document with a stamp.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
... I am not sure that even people living in Santiago can help at the moment - because of the pandemic the city is in lockdown and I'm not sure the Pilgrims Office is even attended. ...

Yes, the pilgrim office is open BUT as I already said, the documents are most likely stuck in the post as they have said they have/will send them and if that is the case, nothing but hope and patience can be done.
SY