• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

return ticket?

jlefebre

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk april 2017
Hey all,
Hopefully someone can give me some answers here.
I'm an American flying into Paris, then plan on taking the train down to Saint Jean. I am flying in with a one-way ticket because I don't know when I'll return back to the states. Will they let me through customs without a return ticket?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Interesting question. In my limited experience, they may not even let you on the plane. The airline will not want to be responsible for you if the country of destination won't let you in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would think buying a round trip ticket where the return trip can be changed would be cheaper than buying 2 one way tickets?

Hey all,
I'm an American flying into Paris... I am flying in with a one-way ticket because I don't know when I'll return back to the states.
Have you actually bought the ticket? I ask because if you haven't, you might be surprised:eek: at the price difference between two one-tickets, and one return ticket.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have you actually bought the ticket? I ask because if you haven't, you might be surprised:eek: at the price difference between two one-tickets, and one return ticket.
I do have my ticket already...the reason I have done that is because I found a really cheap one way ticket. And I'm flying to and from different cities each time.

So I have my ticket already, my only question is if I can get through customs without a return ticket?

my only question is if I can get through customs without a return ticket?
Probably. I have never been asked for my return ticket. But if they have any reason to doubt your intention to leave or your ability to support yourself and buy a ticket home, then they could refuse entry.

Look at this website which says "Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as ... return or round-trip ticket. For the precise requirements contact the local consular services of the EU country in question."

That is consistent with my understanding that they could refuse entry for any number of reasons, but won't likely if they are confident that you intend to leave within your allowed period.

I'd make sure that I had a major credit card with me, at the least.

So I have my ticket already, my only question is if I can get through customs without a return ticket?

You’ve actually got two brick walls to get through when travelling on a one-way ticket.

First of all, the airline itself may not let you even board the plane without a return ticket if you are not a resident of your destination. They do not want the responsibility of having to fly you back because immigration won’t let you in.

Secondly, if you don’t have permanent residence of the country you are flying into, immigration has every reason to deny you entry if you don’t have a either a return ticket, or an onward ticket to a country where you do have right of abode.

Customs is the easy bit – you just walk through that ;)
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey all,
I'm an American flying into Paris, then plan on taking the train down to Saint Jean. I am flying in with a one-way ticket because I don't know when I'll return back to the states. Will they let me through customs without a return ticket?

Hey all,

I had the same question having nought a well priced one way ticket to Paris from New Zealand. People had diffetent ideas and some had no problems apparently. I emailed the French Embassy and they responded quickly with the need to have return ticket or evidence of leaving France. I emailed a second time checking if my Orisson reservation indicating my intention to proceed towards Spain on the Camino. They didn't respond at all! I bought a return ticket with flexible dates.

Hey all,

Hi,look at
www.interior.gob.es for more info

Wish you well, Peter.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You could buy a fully refundable return ticket to be on the safe side. Then cancel it after you arrive and pass immigration in Europe. However, such a ticket will be very expensive.

Hey all,

Good afternoon,
I too, am an American flying out of NYC to Paris to start my Camino in early April, and have bought a one way ticket. Never did it enter my mind that this would cause a problem. We did it this way as not to have a time schedule and to enjoy the walk without any deadline pressures. Thank you for bringing this up and I will be watching this thread for more insight
Juju

I don't know the "rules", but we are always asked if we have a return ticket at the departing USA gate and when enter an EU country. We always plans to stay a bit longer than the walk may take and just find stuff to do if we have extra time. And we are always pulled for "extra" security check when leaving the EU. Don't know why, just assume it is that we have stayed for a longer period than most.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Countries fine airlines that send over visitors that the governments will not allow in and the airlines also have to send them back at their own cost. So the airlines use their International Air Transport Association to keep track of the entry requirements. IATA publishes the information as a book called Travel Information Manual (TIM) and they also have it computerized as Travel Information Manual Automatic (TIMATIC.)

TIMATIC can be accessed via the web url https://www.iatatravelcentre.com but the following site provides a somewhat easier interface (but likely not as good for general use): https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=TIMATIC

I plugged in a 90 day stay with an arrival in France on a US passport and indicated that I had no return or onward ticket. The result indicated that I would be allowed to enter France. But then I'm a special and unique snowflake :rolleyes: so you should try it out yourself.

It did not query about sufficient funds. Have a rich uncle drop a fortune into your bank account for a few months :) and bring along a statement. (Something like this helped a former landlady get her mortgage. Of course, just happening to pick up the phone in the office at work when the bank called to confirm her exaggerated earnings helped too.)

See also:
http://www.iata.org/publications/timatic/Pages/tim_faq.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timatic

Hey all,

Hi, I am Australian and have walked the Camino 5 times, always arriving in Europe on a one way ticket. I have never even been questioned regarding my return. As long as you do not stay more than 3 months you are free to travel and leave when you wish. Norwegian airlines have excellent one way airfares from Barcelona, Madrid and Malaga to LA Miami and NY. Hope this helps.

Hi Jlefebre,
I live in California & I walked the Camino Frances in August-September 2016. I had the same dilema as you, I resolve it by over-estimating the days that it would take me to complete my camino. I ended up having 2 extra weeks in Europe so I rented a car & drove to the Basque country then flew to Lisbon from Bilbao & had a great time. This year I just started my planning for the Camino del Norte & I found out that I can fly Norwegian Air Shuttle from LAX to London. I can purchase a "Prime Flex" return ticket that affords me flexibility in my return flight and the ticket it's fully refundable. Check out Norwegian's website they have flights from several cities in Europe to the U.S. good luck and "Buen Camino".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't worry. Just come with a one way ticket and a credit card. If a return ticket is asked for then reply that you will buy it with your credit card but no one will ask you here if there is no reason to ask for.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.