• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

return travel to Canada

elephantears

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
I booked a return flight from Vancouver via Paris to Biarritz to walk the Camino Frances this coming Sept/Oct 2015 starting from SJPP. I think I know now how get to SJPP but wondering how to return. Would it be simpler to make my way back to SJPP, stay 1 day then travel back to Biarritz to catch my flight home or just what Margaret suggested , travel to Irun/Hendaya then to Biarritz. Please HELP!.
Thank you,
elephantears

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Take Renfe train from Santiago (or wherever you finish) to Irun/Hendaye. (Some trains terminate in Hendaye while others terminate in Irun). Then take SNCF train or Transports64 bus from Gare d'Hendaye to Biarritz. The train goes to Gare Biarritz where you catch Chronoplus C bus to the airport. The Transports64 bus makes a stop at Biarritz Airport.

If your Renfe train terminates in Irun, take Euskotren from Colon station to Hendaia station or a taxi for the 3 km cross border transfer.

There is no point in going all the way back to SJPdP. You will pass through important connection hubs where you will have to pass through again on your way to the airport.

If you can cancel the Biarritz section of your trip it will likely be much cheaper to fly return to Paris and then fly on a separate one way flight to Biarritz and then another one way flight from Santiago to Paris (likely via Barcelona or Madrid). Easy Jet and Ryan Air provide low cost one way flights on these routes.

Thank you whariwharangi for the detailed advise, it does make sense to travel back via Irun/Hendaye. If my knees and feet cooperate, I want to walk further on to Muxia (first) then Finisterre and take the bus back to SDC. I am thinking of staying in SDC for 1 day (rest day) before taking the long flight home, is this wise? I think staying in Biarritz would be quite expensive for my budget. Advise please---anyone?
Yes, I wish I could cancel my Paris-Biarritz flight but unfortunately, the penalty is somewhat unreasonable. Perhaps, next time I'll be wiser eh.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you whariwharangi for the detailed advise, it does make sense to travel back via Irun/Hendaye. If my knees and feet cooperate, I want to walk further on to Muxia (first) then Finisterre and take the bus back to SDC. I am thinking of staying in SDC for 1 day (rest day) before taking the long flight home, is this wise? I think staying in Biarritz would be quite expensive for my budget. Advise please---anyone?
Yes, I wish I could cancel my Paris-Biarritz flight but unfortunately, the penalty is somewhat unreasonable. Perhaps, next time I'll be wiser eh.

I would definitely recommend at least a day in Santiago, if only to rest up before the very long train ride (probably nearly as long as your flight from Paris!). There is a daily train from Santiago to Hendaye, which takes about 11 hours. You get to Hendaye after 9pm and there are then no onward trains until the following morning, so you will either need to stay the night there, or get off the train earlier (eg at San Sebastian), stay there and then continue on to Biarritz the next day (changing at Irun or Hendaye). Either way it's not possible to get from Santiago to Biarritz by train within a single day. It's possible there are late buses which you could take onwards from Hendaye, but you would need to stay somewhere, either there or Biarritz. If you have more time, personally I would break that 11-hour trip somewhere - we stopped overnight at Leon and felt better for it, but then we still had to stop again in Hendaye. Alternatively I think you can take a night train from Santiago that is heading towards Madrid and then change somewhere (in the middle of the night), onto a train heading for Hendaye the next morning. A bit more complicated! The best thing is probably to wait until you are there, or nearly finished your camino, and see what you feel like doing.

Good luck with the planning and buen camino!

Stay at San Sebastian or perhaps Irun for a night then go on to Biarritz in the AM. As pointed out ... its a long train ride from Santiago to Irun.

PESA and ALSA operate buses from San Sebastian/Donostia Plaza Pio XII to Biarritz Airport.

Euskotren operates trains from San Sebastian Station Amara to Hendaia.

It might work out cheaper and more time efficient if you fly from Santiago to Madrid and onward to San Sebastian. San Sebastian Airport is located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station.

See Aena San Sebastian EAS for airport info.

I would definitely recommend at least a day in Santiago, if only to rest up before the very long train ride (probably nearly as long as your flight from Paris!). There is a daily train from Santiago to Hendaye, which takes about 11 hours. You get to Hendaye after 9pm and there are then no onward trains until the following morning, so you will either need to stay the night there, or get off the train earlier (eg at San Sebastian), stay there and then continue on to Biarritz the next day (changing at Irun or Hendaye). Either way it's not possible to get from Santiago to Biarritz by train within a single day. It's possible there are late buses which you could take onwards from Hendaye, but you would need to stay somewhere, either there or Biarritz. If you have more time, personally I would break that 11-hour trip somewhere - we stopped overnight at Leon and felt better for it, but then we still had to stop again in Hendaye. Alternatively I think you can take a night train from Santiago that is heading towards Madrid and then change somewhere (in the middle of the night), onto a train heading for Hendaye the next morning. A bit more complicated! The best thing is probably to wait until you are there, or nearly finished your camino, and see what you feel like doing.

Good luck with the planning and buen camino!
Thank you Getting There for all the info, it appears quite complicated. I'm not sure of how to handle this situation yet but will definitely stay in SDC before heading back home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stay at San Sebastian or perhaps Irun for a night then go on to Biarritz in the AM. As pointed out ... its a long train ride from Santiago to Irun.

PESA and ALSA operate buses from San Sebastian/Donostia Plaza Pio XII to Biarritz Airport.

Euskotren operates trains from San Sebastian Station Amara to Hendaia.

It might work out cheaper and more time efficient if you fly from Santiago to Madrid and onward to San Sebastian. San Sebastian Airport is located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station.

See Aena San Sebastian EAS for airport info.
Again, my thanks for your input. This might be a silly question but please bear with me. Why not fly to Bilbao instead of Madrid? Wouldn't it be closer if one has to take the bus/train? There are cheap flights from SDC to Madrid but Madrid to San Sebastian is quite expensive , am I missing something?

Again, my thanks for your input. This might be a silly question but please bear with me. Why not fly to Bilbao instead of Madrid? Wouldn't it be closer if one has to take the bus/train? There are cheap flights from SDC to Madrid but Madrid to San Sebastian is quite expensive , am I missing something?

Sure Bilbao (Loiu) works. The factor to consider is whether its time efficient vs the 11 hour train to Hendaye.

PESA bus from Bilbao/Loiu airport to San Sebastian/Donostia where you transfer to services described previously.

Bilbao airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Bilbao/en/

Alternatively I think you can take a night train from Santiago that is heading towards Madrid and then change somewhere (in the middle of the night), onto a train heading for Hendaye the next morning.

The changing point of that option is Medina del Campo. If there aren't delays, the overnight train from Santiago de Compostela (departure at 22:33) arrives to Medina del Campo at 04:50 a.m. and the onward train from Medina del Campo to Hendaye departs at 06:00 a.m. arriving to Hendaye before midday. Overall, this option takes roughly 1 hour 45 minutes than the direct train and saves you a night on accommodation.

Note: the train from Medina del Campo to Hendaye makes a 20 minutes long stop in Medina del Campo because that's the town where the two branches of that train are splitted. In other words, you could get into the train 20 minutes earlier than the scheduled departure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back