• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Return trip to Madrid?

HPalola

Time of past OR future Camino
Taking about 12 days for my first Camino walk in July, 2015. Starting in Ponferrada.
Ok. This is it. My LAST question for the forum before I get on the plane tomorrow night! I am starting my walk in Ponferrada on July 8 and walking as far as my body will let me until July 19 when I then have to head back to Madrid to be there for a 7:00am flight on July 20. I am assuming I will need to spend the day of July 19 traveling back to Madrid and finding accommodation somewhere near the airport. (Any suggestions??!! :) ) So my question is this: since I don't know exactly where my endpoint will be, how easy/difficult is it to find transport (bus or train) back to Madrid and how much time should I allow? Is there a town I should most definitely plan to depart from? I am assuming I will NOT make it all the way to Santiago. . .

Thanks for any and all advice. This forum has been absolutely fantastic in helping me plan my trip. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm off! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
;)Not sure there is a definitive answer. But one thing is certain. You'll have plenty of time whilst walking to think about it and work it out

11 days should be enough to get from Ponferrada to Santiago.

There is one Empresa Monforte (Monbus) bus in each direction from Pedrafita do Cebriero to Sarria. There is Renfe train from Sarria to Madrid.

There are Empresa Monforte buses from Portomarin to Lugo.

Empresa Freire provides bus service from Lugo to Santiago along N547. You then have the choice from Palas de Rei to Santiago on whether you want to travel to Lugo, Santiago, or Santiago Airport.

Renfe from Lugo or Santiago to Madrid. ALSA bus from Lugo or Santiago to Madrid. There are flights from Santiago Airport to Madrid.

Santiago Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/es/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en/

Monbus
http://www.monbus.es/es

Empresa Freire
http://www.empresafreire.com/html/castelan/seccion0.php

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Whariwharangi has all the transport information you require, HPalola.
As for accommodation near the airport, try and search for Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto Barajas. They have courtesy bus that runs regularly from the airport to hotel and vice versa. It's reasonably priced and, if you have enough time to go to the City, the Metro station is just a few minutes walk from the hotel. I enjoyed my stay there last year from SdC en route back to Australia.
Buen Camino!

Yeah, I think you will reach Santiago no problem in that time-frame.
Iberia Express has flights from Santiago to Madrid, as does Vueling I believe.
The bus from Santiago to the airport takes less than an hour and costs 3 euros. You can catch the bus at a stop which is about a ten minute walk from the cathedral. Go to the tourist office. It's near where you get your compostela. They will give you a map and show you where the bus stop is. Very gracious people working there and they will also stamp your credentials if you like.
cheers

If you make it to Santiago the train ride is a full day so try to get an early ticket, you can walk from the cathedral about 20 minutes or catch a cab. Next to were you get your compostella there is a ticket office for the train. Madrid is huge so it will be a taxi or metro back to the airport don't cut it too short.
Have a fantastic walk!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hotel Diana is about ten minutes from t-4 and they have a free shuttle . The prices are reasonable and the metro is real close as well as eateries . The green line will take you to downtown Madrid for a couple of euros. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.