• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Returning from Santiago de Compostela to Bayonne - Need Suggestions

Deafleopard625

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I are starting our first Camino (Francés) on February 25. As we are arriving in SJPDP via London, Paris and Bayonne, I am wondering whether anyone has returned to Bayonne after finishing their Camino? We have allowed ourselves more than adequate time to get to Santiago de Compostela, and I am now trying to find a convenient way to return, as we already have travel arrangements back to London locked in.
I have found a few options, but I would appreciate any suggestions. Cheers.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Deafleopard625,

You and your wife must be very excited since soon it will time for your journey.
Many years ago after finishing my first caminos I took a train from Santiago to Irun / Hendaye to then catch the TGV back to Paris. You could get a local train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

Also try Rome2Rio for various transport possibities

Happy pkanning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Deafleopard625,

You and your wife must be very excited since soon it will time for your journey.
Many years ago after finishing my first caminos I took a train from Santiago to Irun / Hendaye to then catch the TGV back to Paris. You could get a local train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

Also try Rome2Rio for various transport possibities

Happy pkanning and Buen camino!
Thanks for that. Yes, we are getting pretty excited. Most of the travel planning has been made and booked. The fact that we’ll be walking 800km+ away from where we start wasn’t really in my mind when I was thinking about the return trip!
I have looked at a few sites like Rome2Rio and Omio. There are a few options, and it’s taking a bit of juggling to find something that is least difficult. You may call us mad, but we’re contemplating taking a bus which takes 19 hours to go all the way to Bayonne, via Porto (would you believe?!)🤪

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To get back to Bayonne on the french side of the Pays Basque the train from Santiago to Irun was always the way to go. A good book, a picnic and an optional half bottle of tinto made the 11hrs pass quickly. I live in Hendaye and have used this route many times.
However, since Covid the direct route is no longer available and to get to Irun/Hendaye requires a couple of changes and the train only goes as far as Saint Sebastian where you will have to find your way to the TOPO (the efficient metro to Hendaye). From there a mspath indicated you can take a train direct to Paris.
If you are over 60 the Tarjeta Dorada (OAP card) can be bought for 6 euros at the Santiago station and you will have a reductioin of (as I recall) 40%
19 hours on a bus? Hmmmm
Whatever route you take I'm sure it will be after a wonderful Camino.

To get back to Bayonne on the french side of the Pays Basque the train from Santiago to Irun was always the way to go. A good book, a picnic and an optional half bottle of tinto made the 11hrs pass quickly. I live in Hendaye and have used this route many times.
However, since Covid the direct route is no longer available and to get to Irun/Hendaye requires a couple of changes and the train only goes as far as Saint Sebastian where you will have to find your way to the TOPO (the efficient metro to Hendaye). From there a mspath indicated you can take a train direct to Paris.
If you are over 60 the Tarjeta Dorada (OAP card) can be bought for 6 euros at the Santiago station and you will have a reductioin of (as I recall) 40%
19 hours on a bus? Hmmmm
Whatever route you take I'm sure it will be after a wonderful Camino.
Thanks for that info. Whichever way we choose is a long haul, so taking your suggestion to pass the time will be the way to go. Back in 1986 my friends and I took a bus from London to Athens, and it took 60 hours. And, when my friend arrived, not having sold my car for me as he promised, and running out of money, I made the reverse journey to find a job in London!
So 19 hours doesn’t seem that bad! It’ll all be part of the great adventure.

My wife and I are starting our first Camino (Francés) on February 25. As we are arriving in SJPDP via London, Paris and Bayonne, I am wondering whether anyone has returned to Bayonne after finishing their Camino? We have allowed ourselves more than adequate time to get to Santiago de Compostela, and I am now trying to find a convenient way to return, as we already have travel arrangements back to London locked in.
I love Bayonne stayed there for two days with a lady who provided bed and meals, she gave me tour of the city also.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I did the Norte in 2018 I booked a round trip from Mexico City to San Sebastian. I flew back to San Sebastian from Santiago and it was relatively quick. I think I had to go through Madrid and it was less then the train. From San Sebastian I am sure you can get a train/bus to Bayonne pretty easily.

Last edited:
If your ultimate destination is London, you can also take the cruise ferry from Santander or Bilbao to Portsmouth, and train from there. Book a cabin to travel in style!
Buen Camino!

We had a few hrs stopover in Bayonne last Aug enroute to SJPDP to start Camino Frances. After googling some history it once had a thriving Jewish community that introduced chocolate making. Check out this delicious cafe Cazenave for some a tasty French pot of Thick rich hot chocolate and buttered French toast.

Attachments

• 504AA059-5400-419B-AEB4-103D8EA79D07.jpeg
    504AA059-5400-419B-AEB4-103D8EA79D07.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From San Sebastian I am sure you can get a train/bus to Bayonne pretty easily.
If you choose the flight option - be mindful that San Sebastian (Donostia) airport is not in San Sebastian. It's in fact between Irun and Hondarribia, just near the French Spanish border. It's a short walk (or bus/taxi) back to Irun to get the Euskotren to Hendaye (3 mins) and then connect to the French train from Hendaye to Bayonne (less than 30 mins).

I endorse other's comments - Bayonne is a lovely town.

PS - not meaning to complicate matters but if you take the flight option to San Sebastian airport - and If you have the time, I'd highly recommend a few hours - even a day or two - in Hondarribia and then make your way to Hendaye for the short train ride to Bayonne. If you did that you could easily walk from SS airport to Hondarribia.

As has already been suggested.
I went to San Sebastián, stayed the night.
Then the Eusktren (local trainline, different station to national) 45 mins to Hendaye.
Hendaye is is France just i’ve the border. And is on the main line to Paris, going through Bayonne.
Eusktren has a website and an app. I think the trains run every half hour. Or maybe more often. In Hendaye the Eusktren station is a stones throw from the French national station.

If you choose the flight option - be mindful that San Sebastian (Donostia) airport is not in San Sebastian. It's in fact between Irun and Hondarribia, just near the French Spanish border. It's a short walk (or bus/taxi) back to Irun to get the Euskotren to Hendaye (3 mins) and then connect to the French train from Hendaye to Bayonne (less than 30 mins).

I endorse other's comments - Bayonne is a lovely town.

PS - not meaning to complicate matters but if you take the flight option to San Sebastian airport - and If you have the time, I'd highly recommend a few hours - even a day or two - in Hondarribia and then make your way to Hendaye for the short train ride to Bayonne. If you did that you could easily walk from SS airport to Hondarribia.
You are right about that and I should have said while you are in San Sebastian to stay for a day if you can. It is a wonderful place to visit.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If your ultimate destination is London, you can also take the cruise ferry from Santander or Bilbao to Portsmouth, and train from there. Book a cabin to travel in style!
Buen Camino!
If we hadn’t already have our Eurostar return booked, this would’ve been a great option. We love cruising as well as walking, so maybe next time!😉

Thank you everyone who has responded with your suggestions. I guess it’s just a matter of deciding whether we want to long haul for a day, or take a few shorter, more expensive options with an overnight along the way. As with most travel organising, finding options that easily connect is rather rare or difficult, so I’ll just make a decision and accept it.

Whatever I decide, it’ll still be a nice winding down period. Thanks again!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m in the UK and have often visited San Sebastián. I have always got home by Eurostar on the day i’ve left there.
It does require a fairly early start on the Eusktren around 7ish.
It’s
San Sebastián to Hendaye by Eusktren.
Hendaye to Paris by direct train.
Metro (or taxi) to Paris gare du nord.
Paris to London by Eurostar.
Safest to allow 2 - 3 hours (although i have allowed less before) between arriving in Paris and departing by Eurostar.
This allows time to use the metro, and queue up at Eurostar departures.

I’m in the UK and have often visited San Sebastián. I have always got home by Eurostar on the day i’ve left there.
It does require a fairly early start on the Eusktren around 7ish.
It’s
San Sebastián to Hendaye by Eusktren.
Hendaye to Paris by direct train.
Metro (or taxi) to Paris gare du nord.
Paris to London by Eurostar.
Safest to allow 2 - 3 hours (although i have allowed less before) between arriving in Paris and departing by Eurostar.
This allows time to use the metro, and queue up at Eurostar departures.
Thanks. We have an overnight in Bayonne already booked, and also a night in a hotel close to Gare du Nord. So whether we get to Bayonne in one trip or two is our planning decision. We’re not sure whether we have enough time to walk to Finisterre or Muxia at the moment, so this may influence our decision.
But it good to know there are a few options. Who knows, we may still decide to take a 19hr bus ride, just to have the experience which we could share with other pilgrims, to help them decide if it’s an option for them!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On one of my past CF, I shared a car rental with two co-peregrines in SdC and we drove along the CN in reverse. It was a truly remarkable and joyful experience. We particularly loved the leisurely ride and the total freedom of staying wherever we liked – sometimes for one or two days – to explore the beautiful villages, towns, and breathtaking coastal sights.

PS: Recommendation: Return the car within Spain in a larger town like San Sebastian, to avoid excessive extra charges. A good site is rentalcars.com

Last edited:
Thanks. We have an overnight in Bayonne already booked, and also a night in a hotel close to Gare du Nord. So whether we get to Bayonne in one trip or two is our planning decision. We’re not sure whether we have enough time to walk to Finisterre or Muxia at the moment, so this may influence our decision.
But it good to know there are a few options. Who knows, we may still decide to take a 19hr bus ride, just to have the experience which we could share with other pilgrims, to help them decide if it’s an option for them!
Cool, if you did decide to visit San Sebastián and stay the night, it would make a nice relaxed journey to Bayonne next day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From a former Brisbane-ite, born and bred, enjoy. No wrong decisions here. Bayonne is charming
Thanks. I have lived here Brisbane for all of my 62 years. Our daughter moved to just north of London 5 years ago, so now we have more motivation to get to Europe a lot more often!
Who knows, if our experience is anything like what everyone says, I can envisage quit a few long distance walks in the future!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back