• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Returning from Santiago to Lisboa on the train

syl

Last year, I got a train ticket from Santiago to Vigo and thence to Porto for the night and a new ticket to Lisboa the following day. But, I got into Porto at midnight, making that a very long day indeed.

This year, I would like to stop at Redondela, spend the night at the albergue, and then go on to Lisboa the next day. Is this possible? I go on the websites for the train schedules and cannot find a stop in Redondela. However, on the various pilgrimmage sites, people are always mentioning changing trains at Redondela.

If I buy a ticket from Vigo to Lisboa, can I stay overnight in Redondela and use the same ticket to travel the next day? Has anyone done this before?

thanks,
Pat

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
syl said:
This year, I would like to stop at Redondela, spend the night at the albergue, and then go on to Lisboa the next day. Is this possible?

the albergues are supposed to be for pilgrims on foot/bike to Santiago, not people travelling by train! Or to put it the other way round: if you were en route to Santiago and found the albergue was full with a group who had just got off the train and were planning to continue by train the next morning, would you be pleased?

syl said:
I go on the websites for the train schedules and cannot find a stop in Redondela.

then you must be looking in the wrong place! Santiago-Vigo at http://www.renfe.es/mediadistancia/md_galicia.html
you want "Redondela G" (Redondela de Galicia). Vigo-Porto at http://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Imagens/PD ... a_vigo.pdf
As stated in other threads, the problem is that there are only 2 trains a day over the border; you might find it quicker to get the bus to Tuy, walk over the bridge to Valenca and catch the train there.

syl said:
If I buy a ticket from Vigo to Lisboa, can I stay overnight in Redondela and use the same ticket to travel the next day?

why get a ticket from Vigo if you're not going there?

I think I didn't make myself clear. I will be making the hike to Santiago in late September, when there are few walkers on the Portuguese Route. Indeed, when I walked last year at the same time, there were never more than 6 people in the entire albergue! There is no danger of an albergue being crowded when I arrive at that time of year.

I am trying to figure out how to get back to Lisboa after walking to Santiago. I don't have time to walk back, and I prefer to travel by train whenever possible. Last year, I took the train from Santiago to Spain, then waited about 3 hours and got on another train to Porto. But, I arrived in Porto at midnight! That was a problem finding a place to stay.

My companion last year said, "Let's get off in Redondela and go on to Lisboa the next day instead of stopping at Porto." but I didn't know if I could use the same train ticket the next day to continue on south. Thank you for the link to the train planning site. I put in Redondela and got the "no such station" error message. I just might do as you offered by riding a bus to Tui. Thanks for the idea.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
syl said:
I think I didn't make myself clear. I will be making the hike to Santiago in late September, when there are few walkers on the Portuguese Route. Indeed, when I walked last year at the same time, there were never more than 6 people in the entire albergue! There is no danger of an albergue being crowded when I arrive at that time of year.

that's not the point. The Xunta albergues are for pilgrims on foot/bike/horse, they are not for people arriving by train/bus/car. Of course, the warden may bend the rules if the albergue is not busy, but that's at their discretion.

syl said:
I put in Redondela and got the "no such station" error message.

?? You go to "A Coruña - Santiago - Vigo", flip "Origen" to "Santiago C", "Destino" to "Redondela G", and click "Buscar" - it gives all the trains between those stations.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back