• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Returning from SdC advice needed

Kernandi

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018)
We have our flights home booked for May 4 out of Madrid. We will need to be to Madrid by May 3. I am leaning toward flying on Iberia from SdC to Madrid since it is faster than the train. Would you go ahead and purchase the tickets in advance?
Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The short answer (of course, this is my opinion): Yes, book the tickets now.

The long, meandering answer (still my opinion):
I've taken the train a few times from Santiago de Compostela to Chamartin station in Madrid. It's a lovely, serene journey and if it's decent weather, fairly scenic for the first couple of hours. The nice thing about taking the train is that you arrive in downtown Madrid. Of course, it's nice provided you have a bit of time to enjoy the city.

If you are planning to find accommodations close to the Madrid airport, then flying is a great idea. SCQ is, as you can imagine, easy to get to and easy to get around. Transportation out of MAD (by train, bus, taxi or hotel shuttle) is also very easy. If it were me, and I had found a reasonable airfare, I would book the flights now.
Buen Camino!

The short answer (of course, this is my opinion): Yes, book the tickets now.

The long, meandering answer (still my opinion):
I've taken the train a few times from Santiago de Compostela to Chamartin station in Madrid. It's a lovely, serene journey and if it's decent weather, fairly scenic for the first couple of hours. The nice thing about taking the train is that you arrive in downtown Madrid. Of course, it's nice provided you have a bit of time to enjoy the city.

If you are planning to find accommodations close to the Madrid airport, then flying is a great idea. SCQ is, as you can imagine, easy to get to and easy to get around. Transportation out of MAD (by train, bus, taxi or hotel shuttle) is also very easy. If it were me, and I had found a reasonable airfare, I would book the flights now.
Buen Camino!
Thank you! I took your advice and booked a flight out. Chose late afternoon to give us more time in SdC if needed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be flying from the states to Madrid round trip for my Camino which begins March 22. Two years ago I did the same round trip. On that first trip, I took the train to from Santiago to Madrid. I was a nice train ride, but the whole process from leaving my lodgings in SdeC to my lodgings near the airport in Madrid was time consuming and tiring. This time I booked a one hour flight with Iberia. The flight cost was very reasonable, IMO. Buen Camino!

Oh I am in the process of doing exactly this. I was looking at trains but as I am flying to Australia the next day the travelling hours are adding up. I will now have a look at flights after reading this thread.
Thanks very timely question.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back