A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Returning home to Australia

Camino(s) past & future
Flights booked and paid! Flying out of Sydney 5 April 2018
Hello to all the Aussies that have completed the Camino.
I am heading back home on Saturday and I’m wondering if anyone had any problems with their hiking boots/shoes when going through customs at Sydney airport. I.E was there an issue with walking through mud and dirt through France and Spain.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
May - June 2018
I am heading back home on Saturday and I’m wondering if anyone had any problems with their hiking boots/shoes when going through customs at Sydney airport. I.E was there an issue with walking through mud and dirt through France and Spain.
I will be in the same boat on my return to Australia 2 days from now. As I was advised, scrub the boots on the outside and simply declare upon arrival on the usual form that you walked through farmland and wooded areas in France and Spain. They may ask to inspect the shoes. Inform them that you cleaned the boots on the outside. Should be ok.

Camino(s) past & future
Saint Jean - Santiago (2015)
Hope you had an amazing Camino.
Coming back into New Zealand they also checked our walking poles and waterproof trousers.
Wishing you a safe trip home,
Donna.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2011 April, 2014 March) San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre, Muxia (June 2015) Del Norte (Sept/Oct 2016)
Once, returning to Sydney from a camino, I declared that I had been walking through farmland.

They took my shoes at customs and gave them a very good clean!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18
I always scrub my boots in the hotel sink on my last night(and clean the sink) and declare on the form that I walked through farms. They have a quick look and I'm on my way.

Advertisment

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future
1998 St Cuthberts Way
1999 West Highland Way
2016 Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago
Just declare you've walked in farmland on your custom form and they will inspect your boots and if necessary they will scrub them for you. I didn't scrub mine, just made sure no dirt visible and customs were happy.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago
Wash them. A novel concept but should work.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
Clean them as well as you can and declare them. A couple of times they haven taken my shoes or sandals away, cleaned them, and returned them ten minutes later looking like new! Also don’t forget to clean and declare anything else that may be contaminated - I have with trekking sticks and tents. I’ve never had anything I’ve declared confiscated, occasionally if they don’t think it’s clean enough they have cleaned the object themselves and returned it to me.
Foot and mouth is the particular concern and I certainly would not want to be responsible for bringing that to Australia.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
I returned through Perth Airport on the 19th May....marked the card as 'yes' to the question about visiting farmland etc. Boots were looked at briefly and I was waved straight through.....no issues at all.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 101 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 164 25.5%