• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Returning home to Australia

Africa

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Camino de Santiago from SJPD to Muxia 2018
Hello to all the Aussies that have completed the Camino.
I am heading back home on Saturday and I’m wondering if anyone had any problems with their hiking boots/shoes when going through customs at Sydney airport. I.E was there an issue with walking through mud and dirt through France and Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am heading back home on Saturday and I’m wondering if anyone had any problems with their hiking boots/shoes when going through customs at Sydney airport. I.E was there an issue with walking through mud and dirt through France and Spain.

I will be in the same boat on my return to Australia 2 days from now. As I was advised, scrub the boots on the outside and simply declare upon arrival on the usual form that you walked through farmland and wooded areas in France and Spain. They may ask to inspect the shoes. Inform them that you cleaned the boots on the outside. Should be ok.

Hope you had an amazing Camino.
Coming back into New Zealand they also checked our walking poles and waterproof trousers.
Wishing you a safe trip home,
Donna.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Once, returning to Sydney from a camino, I declared that I had been walking through farmland.

They took my shoes at customs and gave them a very good clean!

I always scrub my boots in the hotel sink on my last night(and clean the sink) and declare on the form that I walked through farms. They have a quick look and I'm on my way.

Just declare you've walked in farmland on your custom form and they will inspect your boots and if necessary they will scrub them for you. I didn't scrub mine, just made sure no dirt visible and customs were happy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wash them. A novel concept but should work.

Clean them as well as you can and declare them. A couple of times they haven taken my shoes or sandals away, cleaned them, and returned them ten minutes later looking like new! Also don’t forget to clean and declare anything else that may be contaminated - I have with trekking sticks and tents. I’ve never had anything I’ve declared confiscated, occasionally if they don’t think it’s clean enough they have cleaned the object themselves and returned it to me.
Foot and mouth is the particular concern and I certainly would not want to be responsible for bringing that to Australia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I returned through Perth Airport on the 19th May....marked the card as 'yes' to the question about visiting farmland etc. Boots were looked at briefly and I was waved straight through.....no issues at all.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back