• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Returning to sanity: Planning my next, Post-Covid Camino.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Getting really tired of this chaos, I have started to plan my soon-as-possible Camino, using www.godesalco.com/plan :

Starting in Merida (Via de la Plata, by train from Madrid), spending two days just admiring the Roman remains.
1 resting day1 in Salamanca.
1 resting day in Zamora.

That should take me 40 mostly lazy days in the wilderness, before I stand in front of the Cathedral once more. (no biblical 40 days similarity intended): I am in no rush, being retired. Or maybe I'll walk up to Astorga and continue on CF... More days... Or maybe Invierno...

So many possibilities...

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Getting really tired of this chaos, I have started to plan my soon-as-possible Camino, using www.godesalco.com/plan :

Starting in Merida (by train from Madrid), spending two days just admiring the Roman remains.
1 resting day in Zamora.

That should take me 40 mostly lazy days in the wilderness, before I stand in front of the Cathedral once nore. (no biblical 40 days similarity intended): I am in no rush. Or maybe I walk up to Astorga and continue on CF... More days... Or maybe Invierno...

So many possibilities...

Wishing you the best, Alex, and hopefully a speedy camino "around the next corner".
I myself hope to duplicate my same plans I had for 2020 so I sit and wait for the vaccine to be available to me and for flights across the pond to resume. All my ducks are still in a row, but I will not re-book all my lodging choices until I am "set free" in the US.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Merida is beautiful, visited a few times in the camper on the way south. Definitely worth a few days there, Salamanca as well.
Buen Camino for then Alex.
Thank you.

Yes, Merida is spectacular. So much so, that when I was touring Spain by car with my companera a few years back, I brought her to Merida. She's crazy about Roman and Greek remains, as am I, and she went crazy in Merida...

Thank you.

Yes, Merida is spectacular. So much so, that when I was touring Spain by car with my companera a few years back, I brought her to Merida. She's crazy about Roman and Greek remains, as am I, and she went crazy in Merida...
Wow, I hope I get the opportunity to see Merida one day...I would like to go crazy in Merida, too! 😅

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, I hope I get the opportunity to see Merida one day...I would like to go crazy in Merida, too! 😅
Only one thing to say: Put it on top of your bucket list: Spectalular. :cool: And the Via de la Plata is also a fantastic, majestic Camino. some 840 kms. from Merida to SdC. More solitaire than the CF, but you will meet fellow pilgrims, no doubt.

@Camino Chrissy Merida is one of twelve heritage sites in Spain, and an the World Heritage list...

Last edited:
I should also say, for newbies, that the VdlP Camino, in addition to being a grand and majestic Camino all by itself, also offers a fantastic choice in (right after) Zamora: You can either turn left on the Sanabres Camino directly towards SdC, or head straight on to Astorga on the Camino Frances. Then you can walk the CF to Cruz de Ferro, Ponferrada (where you can take off to the Camino Invierno in solitude, or continue on the CF), going over O'Cebreiro and onwards to SdC. Choices, choices...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Starting in Merida (Via de la Plata, by train from Madrid), spending two days just admiring the Roman remains.
1 resting day in Zamora.

That should take me 40 mostly lazy days in the wilderness, before I stand in front of the Cathedral once more. (no biblical 40 days similarity intended): I am in no rush, being retired. Or maybe I'll walk up to Astorga and continue on CF... More days... Or maybe Invierno...

So many possibilities...

I'm dreaming of the VdlP next too @alexwalker. For 2022.
Not fooling myself that it could happen this year.

So many choices.........

I'll start in Seville.
And I'm tempted to try:
  1. the Invierno at the end,
  2. or maybe stick with the 'normal' Sanabres finish, or...........
  3. up to Astorga for a familiar CF finish?
Maybe #2. :rolleyes:

Choices, choices...
Another option from Zamora is the Camino Zamorano Portugués, which takes you through some isolated countryside, cuts through Portugal, and joins up with the Verin variant of the Camino Sanabrés before Ourense.

It is a little frequented route, but some members of this forum have walked it and posted their experiences. The planned albergue in Almendra is still not ready, so pilgrims need to walk 40km on the first day out of Zamora, but after that the stages can be shorter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

1 resting day in Zamora.

So many possibilities...

I too have been planning my VDLP but starting in October and since it is such a long way to get to Spain and I am retired I might as well start in Sevilla. As usual I have broken down my stages and checked out places to stay. It is lots of fun. As usual I may take it just as a reminder of donativos, monasteries or albergues that peeked my interest. As usual I will try to listen to my body as much as possible and only walk as far as my body tells me. I have a feeling on this camino since the infrastructure is less developed I will probably be doing many of the stages I that I planned for. One way or another it is a great way to pass a Covid afternoon at home.
I have used godesalco for a quick over view sometimes.
But when I plan I use Gronze.com for distances and names of albergues. My daughters gave me the Wise Pilgrim and the Buen Camino apps on my phone and I use them for back ups for some extra names of places to stay. I figure walking in a semi-post camino world and the likelihood of fewer places that are still in business and the fact I am walking from October-December I will need the names of as many albergues as possible.
These are two other good websites that have lots of good information. The first one covers lots of different caminos the second is for the Via De La Plata:

Buen Camino my friend.

I'm dreaming of the VdlP next too @alexwalker. For 2022.
Not fooling myself that it could happen this year.

So many choices.........

I'll start in Seville.
And I'm tempted to try:
  1. the Invierno at the end,
  2. or maybe stick with the 'normal' Sanabres finish, or...........
  3. up to Astorga for a familiar CF finish?
Maybe #2. :rolleyes:
I will try to do it in October I am definitely sticking with Option 2. Buen Camino. If I have time I will walk to Muxia. Never did that little walk.

Walked CF 2019 - flashbacks of places & people have kept me going through 2020 despite having to cancel my return - now planning cycling VDLP from Seville sometime in 2021- really excited - considering buying a bike at the start rather than coping with train/air transfers and then cycling back home to France - slight details of learning effective Spanish and cycle repair & maintenance still to be acquired....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Robo, like you I think 2022 seems a more realistic time frame at present, especially as the good walking weather over there is said to be March and April.

@alexwalker, other alternative branches from Via de la Plata start at Salamanca.

First head on the Camino Torres to Braga in Portugal (almost 400 km). I understand this City has much architecture to commend it.

From Braga either continue on the Camino Torres to Ponte de Lima (about 35 km) and continue with the Portuguese Way of Saint James to Compostela (almost 200 km).

From Braga alternatively take the Caminho da Geira e dos Arrieiros (242 km) heading firstly north east through tourist untouched towns and villages before swinging back towards Compostela. According to this local website some 862 pilgrims went this way in 2019 and 143 in 2020.

As you say, so many possibilities.

For interest readers may care to use this website Hiking.WayMarkedTrails.org for many more options. Scroll in for more details. Scroll back for walks in other places.

Kia ora, kia kaha (be healthy, be strong and take care)

@Robo, like you I think 2022 seems a more realistic time frame at present, especially as the good walking weather over there is said to be March and April.

@alexwalker, other alternative branches from Via de la Plata start at Salamanca.
Thanks. I know, but the cobblestones of Portugal put me off. Hard walking on the feet.The CP was great, though.

@Robo the Sanabrés is quite nice in that it is half way between the crowds of the CF, and the solitude of the Invierno. I enjoyed it.
Alex,

Good luck with your decision. I agree with Kanga the Sanabrés is a gem!

I'm hoping to go back to Spain 2022. Maybe del norte. who knows?

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alex,

Good luck with your decision. I agree with Kanga the Sanabrés is a gem!

I'm hoping to go back to Spain 2022. Maybe del norte. who knows?

Mike
When I did the VdlP, I took the Sanabres (turn left just after Zamora). A great walk, indeed, and it is tempting bc of the low pilgrim traffic. Peaceful and easy.

I will stay away from the Norte bc. of what others have written about the climbs up and down: I am (soon) 67, and will prefer easier paths. But thanks.

Gosh!

I really want to walk VDLP this year.

Ideally, I’d like to start in Seville early enough to finish in Santiago July 24, 2020.

Buen camino to you Alex.
That will be hot on the VdlP... But VdlP is a majestic Camino. It is really something... We are talking wide open spaces, not difficult terrain, but some long distances, but perfectly doable. Just stay away from the hot times in summer. A part of it goes through the county of Extremadura: In English: Extremely durable/hard... And it is southern hot Spain in the summer months.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I loved Santiponce( nice,cheep hotel near the historic sites, compared to Hotels in Sevilla), Merida and all the other historic towns along the VdlP. I was surprised of how little we knew about these Roman sites in Spain beeing well taking care of.
Remember that most museums are closed in Spain on Mondays. I spent two nights in Merida to get to all the museums, walked on the second day and took a bus back to sleep and be able to visit the Roman museum which is a must in my opinion. When I walked in 2011,the year after the holy 2010, it was very crowdy so I walked up to Astorga to get more choices in albergues.
So I guess I have to do the alternative one year before I get to old which I surely already am.
I really enjoyed the Invierno in 2018 so I think walking the stages up to Astorga and continuing from Ponferrada on the Invierno is a good choice, Alexwalker!
Still have in mind for the third time to get to Picos the Europas, but when I can leave Norway to do that or have another camino nobody knows.

That is a great Camino planning site to utilize. Thanks for posting it.
Bob, I think that in our posts here on this forum, we should always try to include links to resources that will be beneficial to newbies to the Caminos: It will significantly ease their planning and preparation efforts, and help them on their way to their Camino. And thanks for kind words.

As for a starter, I can recommend the Camino guides from the Confraternity of Saint James: These are low-cost, lightweight, and informative guides that really give you all you need for doing whatever Camino.

https://www.csj.org.uk/ Very cheap guides. Buy and read up. Good information.

Also, the Wise Pilgrim books & apps are great resources. I love the app, offline as well. A great resource. And cheap.

I also advice you to stay away from the Brierley guide: Erronious regarding distances & climbs, and filled with semi-philosophical gibberish, IMHO... You will find yourself on the Camino for yourself, and it will be a revelation. You will not need "help" from "better-knowers"...

And as you mentioned, Bob: www.godesalco.com/plan is a great resource for planning stages. Print them/your routeplan out, laminate them, and keep them in your backpack. Also www.gronze.com for lots of info

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideally, I’d like to start in Seville early enough to finish in Santiago July 24, 2020.

As others have commented, lower Spain will be hot in June or whenever you start.

Talking of hot, how is Covid in LA at present. Some reports suggest it is running white hot. And you wish to take that potential with you, or bring it back with you in 2020.

I don't know why I think of childish irresponsibility at the same time.

Talking of hot, how is Covid in LA at present. Some reports suggest it is running white hot. And you wish to take that potential with you, or bring it back with you in 2020.
From the news reports it's horrendous. But I'm sure that @nycwalking is doing advance planning and won't take any unnecessary risks.

As others have commented, lower Spain will be hot in June or whenever you start.

I don't know why I think of childish irresponsibility at the same time.

At this point in the game all is hoping.

And, travel based upon getting vaccines, borders open, and just plain hope, as stated in line one.

€46,-
For those that want to waste hours doing a virtual trip using Google Earth there is a link to the VDLP and the Sanbres here:

How to use it.

1. Open RidewithGPS.

2. The orange button "Export GPX file" has dropdown options. Choose "More Export options" and export as Google Earth (.kml)

3. Open https://earth.google.com/web/

4. On the toolbar on the right, open Projects (4th down)

5. At the top there is New Project

6. Import KML file from Computer

You then have the whole of the VDLP and the Sanbres to follow. You can view it from 1 mile up or zoom down to street level to check locations and viewpoints. I've used it to vary my [other non-VDLP] planned routes to take in locations I wish to see when I get the chance to go.

In the meantime, I can dream in colour and detail. Some detail below.

PS You can also use Google Earth to recreate a previous walk if you still have the GPS tracks.

Attachments

• Salamanca.jpg
    Salamanca.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Santipoce.jpg
    Santipoce.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 8
  • VDLP.jpg
    VDLP.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 6
That will be hot on the VdlP... But VdlP is a majestic Camino. It is really something... We are talking wide open spaces, not difficult terrain, but some long distances, but perfectly doable. Just stay away from the hot times in summer. A part of it goes through the county of Extremadura: In English: Extremely durable/hard... And it is southern hot Spain in the summer months.
I thought Extremadura meant beyond in more of a frontier kind of way. I liked it! I broke up the long distances simply by judicious use of trains, buses, taxis and the thumb in recognition of my advancing years. I was in my late 60s/ early seventies and am now in my eighties but would do it again in a heartbeat. Again, doing what I could, when I could with tarp, mat and sleeping bag. I liked walking in the pre-dawn dark and was always holed up somewhere by 11am. Siesta is a wonderful time of day in the heat :) Stay hydrated. buen camino and good luck.

samarkand.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just to keep the conversation within the boundaries of the forum rules I will say the following;
It is truly out of control and adding the media reports you are watching/hearing are accurate...

Yes, Bob it is.

Not even going to Johnnies.

😩😡😢

Stay safe.

See you on the road: ASAP!

Yep.

If I start in late May, Covid permitting, wouldn’t it be warm in Seville?

I thought August was the hottest month.
I started mid-May from Seville 2019The first day was 35 degrees C. It pretty much stayed in the low to mid 30’s until Salamanca where I stopped that Camino, expecting to complete the VdLP in 2020.

Edited: To put the correct years in.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For those that walked the VDLP or Mozarabe + VLDP, what do you think about carrying a hiking umbrella that would attach to your backpack shoulder straps? I usually start early in the morning, but it does look like there are some long stages. That may mean walking in the heat of the day, or breaking up the stages.

For those that walked the VDLP or Mozarabe + VLDP, what do you think about carrying a hiking umbrella that would attach to your backpack shoulder straps? I usually start early in the morning, but it does look like there are some long stages. That may mean walking in the heat of the day, or breaking up the stages.
If you can afford the extra weight and if you are walking between May and the end of September, my answer is yes.

I used one Seville to Salamanca mid-May to June. I could not have walked in the heat without it.

I did VdlP in April-early May without one. Had 21 days of rain & wind, 2 days of snow, and one day partly cloudy... But it sure sounds like a good idea for summer/autumn. For the Mozarabe: I did it in April: Freezing cold in the Sierra mountains; got pneumonia!

€149,-
I too have been planning my VDLP but starting in October and since it is such a long way to get to Spain and I am retired I might as well start in Sevilla. As usual I have broken down my stages and checked out places to stay. It is lots of fun. As usual I may take it just as a reminder of donativos, monasteries or albergues that peeked my interest. As usual I will try to listen to my body as much as possible and only walk as far as my body tells me. I have a feeling on this camino since the infrastructure is less developed I will probably be doing many of the stages I that I planned for. One way or another it is a great way to pass a Covid afternoon at home.
I have used godesalco for a quick over view sometimes.
But when I plan I use Gronze.com for distances and names of albergues. My daughters gave me the Wise Pilgrim and the Buen Camino apps on my phone and I use them for back ups for some extra names of places to stay. I figure walking in a semi-post camino world and the likelihood of fewer places that are still in business and the fact I am walking from October-December I will need the names of as many albergues as possible.
These are two other good websites that have lots of good information. The first one covers lots of different caminos the second is for the Via De La Plata:

Buen Camino my friend.
Never mind finding a bed between stages: you’re lucky to find a town between stages on the VdlPlata

buen camino!

Never mind finding a bed between stages: you’re lucky to find a town between stages on the VdlPlata

buen camino!
I know you are right about that for sure. One of my favorite things to do before I walk is to plan everything ahead of time. It looks like I will be able to swing things but you know what I do the day I put my backpack on and head to the airport? I throw all that planning away because you got to walk your own walk and you never know what your body will tell you. I always wondered before my first camino how I was going to make it. That camino taught me I can definitely do it. We all make adjustments and the camino teaches us to let things go. I know you made it and I bet you had a great time. Would love to hear about it one day Miguel. I know somehow and someway I will get there and fulfill this obsession I have of doing the VDLP. Buen Camino to you too and hope to meet you along the way one day!! Stay safe.

I did VdlP in April-early May without one. Had 21 days of rain & wind, 2 days of snow, and one day partly cloudy... But it sure sounds like a good idea for summer/autumn. For the Mozarabe: I did it in April: Freezing cold in the Sierra mountains; got pneumonia!
I had bronchial spasms last November on the CF and I wasn't even in the mountains!! But we made it didn't we! I was thinking of doing the Mozarabe to the VDLP to Santiago but I am starting in Sevilla. Still want to do that one day. I know it would probably take a lot longer. Have to wait for my wife to say go get lost and walk for 3 months so I can get some rest!!

If you start in August, like Michel d'Auzon did in 2017, then I think it is a great accessory. Having shade compensates for the extra weight:

I started from Almeria at the end of September that year - a month after Michel. Like Michel, I adopted the habit of setting off before sunrise every day. On most days, I started to feel "warm" by 10 AM, and I needed to take a nap in the afternoon when I found a shady spot.

As Alex mentioned, the Camino Mozarabe takes you through the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. The path climbs to 1,300 m or more, where conditions are cooler.

The hottest spot on the route is Cordoba - It often has the highest temperatures in all of Spain during the summer. Frankly, I would not want to be walking there from June-Sept, but if I had to, I think I'd carry a hiking umbrella.

I haven't done the VdlP, but I have walked the Frances in the summer and loved having my handsfree umbrella. I thought that it was worth every ounce/gram. I have tried using a regular umbrella with different kind of attachments, but none have felt as secure as this one.

As for umbrellas, I would to buy one of those on your head, not strapped to body or backpack:

However, to come back on topic: I think it is relaxing to just accept the current pandemic, and relax in planning for the normal future I am sure to come. But it will take some time, unfortunately.

The Forum here is of great help to preserve sanity.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

1 resting day in Zamora.

So many possibilities...

I hear you! I go through those phases of acceptance of being at home counting my many blessings, and then another of anger and frustration that I can't pilgrimage. Planning makes me feel so much better.
Secondly, you do not look old enough to be retired. You must be one of those young pups who created some fabulous dot com, and sold it for a fortune!! Good for you!

Yes, definitely. I started the VDLP during the second week of June and the northern part of Extremadura was stinking hot especially on the day we walked to Banos which is a lot of road walking. When the temp hits 35C the umbrella tends to come out. The other bonus of a silver umbrella is that cars slow down because they are not sure what the silver reflective thing is that they can see in the distance. But I also used my umbrella on the Levante to stop the drizzle getting onto my glasses. In a storm the umbrella is no good to you but if you end up somewhere with it blowing inside out, you probably don't want to be walking anyway.

I bought my trekking umbrella (euroschirm) specifically to walk the VdlP in June. It made a considerable difference, not sure we could have managed those long days in Extremadura without one. (No shade).
In my view, definitely worth the extra weight.
And when I reached Salamanca, I used it against the rain! 😁

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back