• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Returning to US East Coast

GGHHI

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
My husband is leaving at Logrono and I will continue on to Santiago.

I will fly him out of BIO on June 16th +|- .

I am pretty good at sleuthing the best route but I am wondering if there are any suggestions from this group. Madrid, London, Paris?

Thanks for your help!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not only more options FROM Madrid, but I’d guess TO Madrid in terms of the number of buses, trains, rideshares, etc. If you did fly out of Bilbao, you’ll very likely have to transfer versus having the ability to fly direct. Plus it’ll be cheaper

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Based on what everyone else has said, I think the question is whether going to Bilbao in a cab for less than two hours (I think @SabsP has low-balled the likely cost) is a better choice than going straight to the Madrid airport in an Alsa bus, which will take around 4 hours and cost about 25€.

Even if money is no object, it’s not clear to me that the Bilbao option is preferable, because I don’t think there are any non-stop flights to the US from Bilbao. So that means, I think, that the air travel portion will be much longer from Bilbao than from Madrid.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Even if money is no object, it’s not clear to me that the Bilbao option is preferable, because I don’t think there are any non-stop flights to the US from Bilbao. So that means, I think, that the air travel portion will be much longer from Bilbao than from Madrid
I found only one non stop from Madrid to Boston on June 16 - for over $3000!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm leaving from Logrono a few days earlier and am flying out of Madrid. I like that there is a bus that will drop you off at Terminal 4 but I also just found out there may be a train to Madrid too.

Last edited:

I am pretty good at sleuthing the best route but I am wondering if there are any suggestions from this group. Madrid, London, Paris?

Thanks for your help!
I also fly into the east coast. I recommend flying from Madrid. And try Skiplagged it has great one way options. Also Air Europa has been running specials into Miami.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks for your help!
First and foremost, let's be clear: It's more challenging these days to find the right flight (time, cost, convenience, getting there) than walking a camino. And we have seen over and over again that costs change literally from hour to hour. And flights we have already booked have been changed as many as three times! Our worst nightmare was a flight coming back from Madrid after a camino where they changed the aircraft at the last minute, leaving the ground staff completely confused. They ended up assigning my wife and I to the same seat. I turned that into a comedy on the plane that left everyone laughing as I sat on my wife's lap refusing to move, much to the chagrin of the flight attendant who, at first flustered, started chuckling herself.

In fact, we have flown out of Bilbao twice. Why? We found Bilbao a delightful place to celebrate after walking a camino. In addition, TAP flies out of there at very reasonable prices. Yes, there are no non-stops across the pond from Bilbao, but we still found the Bilbao airport much less vexing that Madrid.

Good luck, peregrino. Embrace the "adventure" of flying in today's world.

I travel to/from US east coast a lot. The east coast is very long and somewhat expensive to travel, so, knowing where you are actually trying to go would be useful, That being said, I have been very successful with one way fares from LISbon to Dulles (IAD) just outside Washington DC. Its easy to get from Santiago to Lisbon by bus, several go everyday from the NEW bus station. I have also had good luck flying on a low cost carrier (ie RYAN Air) from Santiago to London and then non-stop London to NYC, PHL or WAS. I also use SKyScanner and SkipLagged apps. Skyscanner is absolutely the best unless you can find a skiplag fare, which is not likely for that route.

I travel to/from US east coast a lot. The east coast is very long and somewhat expensive to travel, so, knowing where you are actually trying to go would be useful, That being said, I have been very successful with one way fares from LISbon to Dulles (IAD) just outside Washington DC. Its easy to get from Santiago to Lisbon by bus, several go everyday from the NEW bus station. I have also had good luck flying on a low cost carrier (ie RYAN Air) from Santiago to London and then non-stop London to NYC, PHL or WAS. I also use SKyScanner and SkipLagged apps. Skyscanner is absolutely the best unless you can find a skiplag fare, which is not likely for that route.
On our most recent camino a few months ago, we were stunned at the high fares. We eventually settled on TAP non-stop Lisbon flights. They were on time with excellent service. We also took the bus from Santiago to Lisbon, which does have a stop at the airport. But we stayed on the bus till Lisbon, touring Portugal by rented car (also much less expensive than we expected) for another week. Portugal offers so much for so much less than many other places in Europe.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sometimes if you book a round trip it is less expensive than one way

Thanks for your help!
Could you narrow it down a bit? What is your final destination?

Do a skyscanner search for 16 June a 1) Spain to USA, 2) Portugal to USA and 3) France to USA. Plenty of ok fares, including direct, non-stop.
I found only one non stop from Madrid to Boston on June 16 - for over $3000

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back