• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reusing my Credential

Old Hillwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte 2022
Due to illness last May (2018) I stopped my walk on the Del Norte in Deba and returned to the US. I now have my ticket to return to Deba this coming September to walk on. Do you think I will be able to continue with my former credential even though it will show a time gap of over a year since it was last stamped in Deba. This will be the fourth Camino credential in my collection and I really don't to lose those stamps previously collected from Irun.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are walking then only the last 100 km gets you a compostela. Continue from where you started and get stamps like you did but start getting at least two a day at the 100 km mark or earlier.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A credential is intended to be used for a pilgrimage. Often pilgrimages are interrupted, or take two or three trips to complete. If, e.g., you are walking from Irun to Santiago, and have to break your journey in Deba, take up the pilgrimage again in Deba and continue on. As Raggy suggests, just get it stamped at the next spot, and carry on.

Thanks, I knew this but that was not my question.
Let me try again then.

If you are walking then only the last 100 km gets you a compostela. Continue from where you started and get stamps like you did using your old credential but start getting at least two a day at the 100 km mark or earlier. They will decide on giving you the compostela based on the last 100 km.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did my Camino over 3 years, being on the Camino 3 different times. No problem at all with using the same credential. In fact, if you want a distant certificate, you'll need your original to show where you started. Just be sure to restart in the same town where you left off and be sure to get a stamp from there.

I ended up with 3 credentials because I love stamps. But my restarts were always from mid-credential. It just worked out that way. In fact nobody really seemed to care, except the hospitalera in Sarria, who was so excited to see me return she gave me a big hug!

Due to illness last May (2018) I stopped my walk on the Del Norte in Deba and returned to the US. I now have my ticket to return to Deba this coming September to walk on. Do you think I will be able to continue with my former credential even though it will show a time gap of over a year since it was last stamped in Deba. This will be the fourth Camino credential in my collection and I really don't to lose those stamps previously collected from Irun.
I have re used mine satisfactorily.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I reused it, too, after five years -no problem at all.. And met in Estella a group from Murcia, who was doing the camino walking only the weekends. Unusual, but why not?
Here, the official rule of the Archdiocesis:
You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage).

This is perfectly OK you dont have to finish your Camino in one go. There are many people who only have a week who come back year after year to do the next increment.

No problem--and even if you started further on it wouldn't matter about a gap as long as the last 100 KM was properly stamped. Congratulations on getting back on this incredibly beautiful route!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't fret - I gave out a Compostela to an Irish lady who had spent 10 years walking from SJPP to SdC.

Have a good Camino.

What if you already have your Compostela from a previous walk? Can you continue to use same credential. Complete Triacastella to SdC last year and planning Porto to SdC later this year.

What if you already have your Compostela from a previous walk? Can you continue to use same credential. Complete Triacastella to SdC last year and planning Porto to SdC later this year.
If they stamped the Credential when you got your Compostela (which they should have done) then that's it, it's closed down and you'll have to get a new one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If they stamped the Credential when you got your Compostela (which they should have done) then that's it, it's closed down and you'll have to get a new one.
Jeff, thank you for clarifying that. Much appreciated.

I did my Camino over 3 years, being on the Camino 3 different times. No problem at all with using the same credential. In fact, if you want a distant certificate, you'll need your original to show where you started. Just be sure to restart in the same town where you left off and be sure to get a stamp from there.

I ended up with 3 credentials because I love stamps. But my restarts were always from mid-credential. It just worked out that way. In fact nobody really seemed to care, except the hospitalera in Sarria, who was so excited to see me return she gave me a big hug!
Lucky you !!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back