• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Review of "The Way" with Martin Sheen

Whatever you think about the film, one thing is a fact - many have been inspired (including some on this forum) to walk the camino after watching it. Some of those will have had a lifetime and/or a life changing experience as a consequence. So it as well as the many books all have their mysterious influences for the betterment of many.
Buen Camino Cinemagoers!
allan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Surely we shouldn't be too critical of The Way. It is not a documentary, it isn't supposed to show the reality of the Camino - it is about a self-absorbed tightly wound man who, through his son's death and by taking those ashes, relearns the important things in life and opens his heart.
The other travellers all have their own baggage and each comes to terms with that and also open their hearts, with the help of, and by bonding with, the others - and those who have been on Camino know that this can and does happen.
In a deep sense this is what pilgrimage is actually about.

If one watches the interviews on the disc they themselves describe the film as a 'sort of' Wizard of Oz but they also describe a number of those extraordinary 'coincidences' that happened to them along the way - again, something we all recognise.

This is not a Hollywood film .. it is low budget with a single Spanish crew and is a homage to Spain and Galicia - their relatives came from there as (well as Eire). They raised the money themselves and there are a number of friends and family in the film - the priest with brain cancer comes to mind - and all the background pilgrims are genuine pilgrims who happened to be there when they filmed.

The 'over-acting' introductions of some of the characters was done on purpose - you are not supposed to like them at first - that is the whole point. So as they travel and their hearts are opened we also - should we relax and just immerse - also travel and our hearts are opened. Then we find that those we disliked we now care for - let us do that in real life too, don't you think?

Sure - at his first refugio he actually enters the hotel at Roncesvalles and then is in the 12th century real refugio ... sure, he seems to drink a whole bottle of wine at lunch at Valcarlos, although he was two days further down the Camino from Valcarlos when he did that. Sure, the woman had no idea how to wear a rucksack, the Dutchman leaves all his lunch gear at the hay bales and they never mention it, their walking poles become wooden staffs, they wear jeans instead of lightweight gear. A lot of the shots seem to be in Rioja and they are not in order, they visit Eunates as if it is on the Camino rather than being a diversion, he sleeps down trail from the bridge (which isn't on the Camino) but wakes in the morning to pilgrims walking by and greeting him, the Irishman enters the crazy refugio with a slight beard, then he has a thick beard, then he has a slight beard - of course, we could go on and on - but it isn't a documentary, it is a film about the human heart and the travels it has to make.

Personally, I think it is utterly wonderful and I find that it captures the spirit of walking the Camino. I have watched it many many times - it is my virtual Camino whilst I am stuck in England (until March that is, God willing).

If you strip out the colour from your tv, move the screen close and turn the lights off and watch it in black and white you will be able to see the superb camera work and direction - it really is an Art film, in the European way, when you watch it like that.

So, I would suggest, as in a play in a theatre, suspend that disbelief and enter the film .. enjoy!

Just my point of view :wink:

David said:
he sleeps down trail from the bridge (which isn't on the Camino) but wakes in the morning to pilgrims walking by and greeting him,
I still cant find this on Google earth. Do you know where this is. It was mentioned above and all i can see is an industrial type building at the end of the bridge. It may have been a camera angle or something.

For what it's worth, I agree 100% with your take on the film. I have seen it about 10 times and the interviews twice or more.

This is up there with Shawshank in my humble opinion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
RENSHAW said:
max44 said:
I wonder if anyone can help me...............
2) Tom lets his pack fall from a bridge. The commentary said it was "off" camino, but not far.
4) A gate where the gipsy son hands Tom his backpack after carrying for him. At the edge of town.

Think I can help with two points of interest.

The bridge where Tom lets his pack fall ( Acting was a little obvious , bit like a footballer taking a dive.) - This looks like is was at the entrance to Zubiri which is on the Camino and if you walk the Camino Frances , you will come across it in the first few days.

I google earthed the bridge. It looks different and about 5 ways, including the background.
I guess that quest is still on :)

max44 said:
RENSHAW said:
max44 said:
I wonder if anyone can help me...............
I google earthed the bridge. It looks different and about 5 ways, including the background.
I guess that quest is still on :)
Yep , I googled this too and you are quite right - somewhere in this area I did pass a bridge that may have been used. It was next to the Camino and one passed it but did not cross it. There were people fishing for trout. I had another look at nearby towns but I have still not found it - happy hunting Max.

There is a Youtube video with Emilio and Martin and they discuss the production setup for that scene. They had water released upstream to fill the river for the scene. So maybe the bridge is down stream from a dam? I couldn't locate the clip again but I think I remember them saying it was slightly off the trail.

Hope this helps the investigation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I love the film. It is what inspired me to walk the Camino this May 2013 and I have thought of nothing else since. For that, I will always be grateful for this wonderful movie.

I would only change one thing. Everyone had to have their say at the end. I would have preferred it if they focused only on Sheen at that point.

The pilgrims who have walked the Camino seem to all have a metaphor, so the metaphors provided in certain scenes touched me. I liked two in particular.

Martin Sheen diving into the river to save his backpack - he wasn't trying to save his backpack, he was trying to save his son, and as a father, he would risk his life to do so.
And, when Sheen scattered Daniel's ashes into the ocean at the end - he had learned he had to let his son's ashes go, yet take Daniel's adventurous spirit with him in his new life traveling the world.
Sigh, I weep every time I see the last scene with Sheen and his walking stick in a new country, having learned how to live life by carrying his son with him on the Camino.

I hope the Camino will allow me to let go of some things that I should lay down and walk away from forever, freeing me up to live a life, not to choose one.

The best thing about the movie from my point of view is that various people I know through work or other places are seeing it. Suddenly they understand something about what I did, and we can have a convo about it. Very few Kiwis knew anything very much about the Camino before the movie came out.
Margaret

And take away the "cliché" that all Dutch consume drugs ! The majority does not ! You could get the wrong idea about us !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wonderful , wonderful, wonderful, it always brings a tear to my eye when i watch it. It brings back memories and feeling of my own Camino last year..

The Film didnt inspire me t walk the Camino as I had been on parts of the Camino before. But I loved the Film and realised that with all the references to metaphor's and depth of meanings there was a lot more to the Camino than I had previously realised. So when I walked the Camino last Oct/ NOV. I got to realise that the walk is life itself, with all its twists and turns, ups and downs, joys and sorrows. Emilio Esteves didn't write the Camino, he didnt make it all up, but what he wrote and filmed, for me captured so much of it, both from his experience and Galician background.
But it still has to be each persons own Camino. A big thank-you to all who made and acted in it.

PS I recognised many parts of the film on the walk but I couldnt identify the bridge. The part where Joost first sees Tom deposit ashes on the fence post is very early on the Camino but they are walking in reverse to the Camino route - cinematographic licence - all great fun :D

Albertinho said:
And take away the "cliché" that all Dutch consume drugs ! The majority does not ! You could get the wrong idea about us !
Thats what they all say. :mrgreen:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree - the movie introduced me to the camino, and helped me to realize that this is something I wanted to do. For a long time, I have wanted to do something alone, spiritual, where I would totally give up myself in order to renew. I have had many past hurts in my life, not many tragedies, thanks be to God.I am wanting to forgive others, and open my life anew. Sounds corny, but it is true. I am leaving Florida, U. S. on May 2nd, and am so excited for this new chapter of my life.

My wife and I saw “The Way” at the theater about 2 years ago. As we walked out at the end of the show she paused and said, “I’m going to do that!”. All I could say was, “Can I come too?”. We have planned and dreamed ever since. We fly from Kansas City to Barcelona on April 8th and return May 31st. At this point it is getting difficult to remain focused on work! We have 10 grandchildren between the ages of 6 and 2, and we are giving the 3 families each a map of the Camino. We plan on “Skype-ing” often and telling them where we are so that they can reposition the marker on the map. There is a strong spiritual component in this for me, but sharing this with our children and grandchildren is the best conduit I know for sharing it with God.

I might add that in 2010 I bicycled 5000 miles across the United States, northwest Washington State to Key West Florida (via New Orleans). I am every bit as excited to walk the Camino as I was for that bicycle "adventure". Pete

I saw this film last year and it was a turning point. I decided in 2001 to walk the Camino but for 12 years I found reasons not to go.

He had settled for a comfortable existance rather than experiencing poverty to write the great novel. He stands in contrast with Daniel who dies rather than be merely living.

Life belongs to those who do not fear to lose it.

There is much wisdom in Methodist_pilgrim.98 posts. I have been scared of living for far too long but after seeing the film I made the decision to go this year. I leave for SJPP in one week. The film is already part of my journey and I am grateful.

Sometimes we just need a little push to go out and live life.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just FYI, this film was put on Netflix for streaming sometime recently, and it's been getting a ton of good reviews and a lot more exposure than it had before during its limited release.

I watched it last night, and it did a great job of getting me excited for my first camino this coming summer.

David said:
Surely we shouldn't be too critical of The Way. It is not a documentary, it isn't supposed to show the reality of the Camino - it is about a self-absorbed tightly wound man who, through his son's death and by taking those ashes, relearns the important things in life and opens his heart.
The other travellers all have their own baggage and each comes to terms with that and also open their hearts, with the help of, and by bonding with, the others - and those who have been on Camino know that this can and does happen.
In a deep sense this is what pilgrimage is actually about.

If one watches the interviews on the disc they themselves describe the film as a 'sort of' Wizard of Oz but they also describe a number of those extraordinary 'coincidences' that happened to them along the way - again, something we all recognise.

In an interview, Emilio Estevez said Tom is supposed to be Dorthy and Daniel is Toto. Joost is the cowardly lion. Jack is the scarecrow, that's why they meet him in a field of straw. Sarah is the Tin Man. But I guess that means that St. James is the wizard?? :)

Do you really think Tom is self-absorbed tightly wound. I thought he was pretty laid-back and good-humored when he was playing golf. The only sore spot in his life seems to be with his son, and rightly so. Daniel doesn't seem to have any direction in life, at least not any direction that Tom recognizes. The last time he sees his son, they had an argument and the next time he sees him, he's lying on a slab in a morgue.

Take the scene where Tom collects Daniel's backpack. Tom asks the cop what happened and is told he died while walking the Camino. Then the cop starts up about how wonderful the Camino is, how people from all walks of life do it and he's done it several times and will do it again when he's 70. Then some dope-smoking Dutchman interrupts his lunch and again, won't stop talking about that damned Camino, the very thing his son died trying to do!

I really feel for Tom throughout the whole movie, but especially the beginning part. He had wanted to walk the Camino with the spirit of his son. After he leaves Joost and spends the day by himself, he seems to really be having a good time, like at the outdoor dinner and even after he takes a dip in the river, he's smiling while he wrings out his clothes. I didn't see Tom as a grouch, I saw him as a man in mourning.

I wonder if anyone can help me. There are two bridges i cant find from the movie.
1) When the local police officer gave Tom a stone, Tom then walks over a wooden bridge.
2) Tom lets his pack fall from a bridge. The commentary said it was "off" camino, but not far.
3) The "hotel" where Tom has his backpack stolen
4) A gate where the gipsy son hands Tom his backpack after carrying for him. At the edge of town.

I wonder if anyone knows the google map location so i can look at it and add to my trip there

Tom's pack was dropped off the bridge at a village named Aioz, a little east of Pamplona. Google Maps shows the bridge in detail with Street View.
The views match those in the movie's website trailer of the bridge scene.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wonder if anyone can help me. There are two bridges i cant find from the movie.
1) When the local police officer gave Tom a stone, Tom then walks over a wooden bridge.
3) The "hotel" where Tom has his backpack stolen

I wonder if anyone knows the google map location so i can look at it and add to my trip there

My photo (In Camino Photos) 'Picturesque St. Jean in the Pyrenees' is taken from that wooden bridge.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.