• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Review of Wise Pilgrim Guide

I was given a copy of the Wise Pilgrim Guide to the Camino Frances.

I am reviewing this from a desk not the on Camino so cannot tell if there are any mapping mistakes etc.

It is the right size :) small and compact and will easily fit in a pocket or pack outer compartment.

It is light :) not too many pages.

It is just a guide :) with route maps and elevations at the front and local maps and accommodation following.

There is none of the general advice that takes up so much space on normal guide books and which you come to this forum for anyway.

The accommodation information seems detailed and accurate, as far as I can tell, and up to date.

I am not sure why the elevations and maps do not start and finish at the same point on those pages but it is a design quibble rather than a fault.

Were I going to tackle the CF this year I would take this and also make sure I had access to a different sort of guide which covered the history and architecture/art along the way in more detail, others may care more about the wildlife or botany etc.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought the Camino Primitivo WisePilgrim app for my phone. I may use it while walking the CP next week...if it transfers to my phone after I change SIM card. It has a few more places to stay than does the Confraternity of St James CP guide which I will be updating and editing as I walk.

Looking at the website, a note caught my eye about the maps in this guide:

Oh, and North is always at the top.

This is one of those things that you either care about or you don't. For me that was my only serious quibble with the other guide, and reason enough for me to check this one out. If you are a "map rotator" by nature, you won't like it. If north is always present in your mind, this is how you want the maps printed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bought the Camino Primitivo WisePilgrim app for my phone. I may use it while walking the CP next week...if it transfers to my phone after I change SIM card. It has a few more places to stay than does the Confraternity of St James CP guide which I will be updating and editing as I walk.
Once you buy an app it's yours, whether you change phones or sim cards, though you may have to download it again.

I was given a copy of the Wise Pilgrim Guide to the Camino Frances.

I am reviewing this from a desk not the on Camino so cannot tell if there are any mapping mistakes etc.

It is the right size :) small and compact and will easily fit in a pocket of pack outer compartment.

It is light :) not too many pages.

It is just a guide :) with route maps and elevations at the front and local maps and accommodation following.

There is none of the general advice that takes up so much space on normal guide books and which you come to this forum for anyway.

The accommodation information seems detailed and accurate, as far as I can tell, and up to date.

I am not sure why the elevations and maps do not start and finish at the same point on those pages but it is a design quibble rather than a fault.

Were I going to tackle the CF this year I would take this and also make sure I had access to a different sort of guide which covered the history and architecture/art along the way in more detail, others may care more about the wildlife or botany etc.
This sounds great, can you buy this guide in France? or SJPP? Living at the bottom of the world (New Zealand) any guides apart from Brieley are hard to come by.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Like William I read through this guide at home, not on Camino and I would agree with him in his assessment. Good size to fit in a cargo pocket or in the pack and good practical information. The only con I would have is the North Up maps, as I am a track up person I would prefer the maps Track Up but that's just me. A very good guide IMO.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have just returned from walking Burgos to Leon, using the Wise Pilgrim guide. We had photocopied the pages from the Brierly guide which we used in previous years, but rarely looked at them.

We used the Wise Pilgrim guide all the time and found it brilliant. Some key points:
1. They deliberately don't show 'stages' to discourage the Brierly factor.
2. The maps at the front show the overall route, with distances between each town, so you have to add up the distances of what you are going to do. The price of not showing 'stages'.
3. The number 1 thing that we used all the time is that they show a small map of each town /village you pass through, so you can see the route, where the albergues are etc. Immensely useful.
4. The options for routes are shown clearly, and the turnoffs and consequences described well. Even on the overall map at the start it shows "17.5km with no water or services".
5. The albergues and Casa Rurals are clearly shown and contact details
6. Its a little sparse on extra details, and as the review above suggested, there is a limited amount of architectural information. We found that a benefit, as it cut down the weight.

Next time we will definitely bring this, and probably not the relevant Brierly pages.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...
This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back