• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Revised title: Didn't know about other ways to reserve beds, and found no rooms on booking.com

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
SJPP to SdC, 2023
CF, 2024
So, found a spot in Espinal! Do I really have to "hightail" it there AFTER (somehow) actually making it to Roncevalles? Sheesh! I'm trying to "wing it", good people of the Forum, but I'm definitely getting a little "squirrelly"!

MODERATOR NOTE:
Please read the replies below before becoming misled or taking any quick action.
The original title of this thread was misleading.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It depends what you want to 'book'. Roncesvalles does not have many private rooms available to book, and short of calling them there is no way to know if they are actually full. The albergue won't be full on reservations alone, ever. So you don't have to do 39km but you do have to call/email/sleep in an albergue.

context?
Did you get an answer that they are full or is booking not possible yet because it's to early? For me it sounds highly unlikely that the albergue is already full 7 month in advance.
Also i would strongly advise against walking 39km on day one. I did it on day 2, knew what i was getting into, felt prepared and did regret it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
context?
Did you get an answer that they are full or is booking not possible yet because it's to early? For me it sounds highly unlikely that the albergue is already full 7 month in advance.
Also i would strongly advise against walking 39km on day one. I did it on day 2, knew what i was getting into, felt prepared and did regret it.
The reservation form on the website is accepting reservation requests for next summer. For those who don't know, reservations at the albergue can only be made through their own website.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can book a bed in the albergue online

You can book a room in the Hotel Roncesvalles online:

You can book a room in hotel La Posada online:

Or you can book a room in hotel/restaurant Casa Sabina
This is only possible by phone, and as they are closed now for the winter you'd better try by the end of March.

If you only look at Booking.com you will not find availabilities at the moment, as both the Hotel Roncesvalles and Casa Sabina are closed now for the winter and the availabilitiy for 2023 is not yet mentioned on Booking.com.
La Posada will be open all winter, both for tourists and for pilgrims.

Welcome, @TorontoGMan. I see from your previous messages that you joined the forum recently and you seem to be in the initial stage of planning your Camino, starting around the 27th of May 2023, right?

I echo what @C clearly suggests: Describe more cleary what inspired you to compose such an alarming thread title, please. Forum members may then be able to help you although @Ianinam listed already in post #8 the available accommodation in Roncesvalles and how to book a bed or a room. Just for fun, I initiated a booking at the pilgrim albergue of Roncesvalles for the 27th of May 2023. Their reservation system would easily let me book 30 beds. Could you please go to the beginning of this thread and edit the title? It needlessly alarms others who are also still unfamiliar with all things Camino.

If I had a guess as to what happened I'd think that you had a look at Booking.com and saw that there were no beds on Booking.com and that the nearest empty bed was in Espinal. Oh well ... where does one start ... <SIGH>.

Sigh.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@TorontoGMan, I can see you’ve taken a break from the forum this (UK) evening. I hope you’ll have had an opportunity to chill, and regroup.

You’ve lots of opportunities to avoid a 39km first day. Walk via Valcarlos and spend a night in the delightful Albergue there. Book a bed in Roncesvalles, Orisson, Borda or Burguette. But don’t try and book a bed via an aggregator that has no allocation and won’t have before possibly even March 2023.

If you are seriously willing to “wing-it” then all you need is a sleeping bag, a poncho and a bit of luck. Winging it does not incorporate pre-booking 7 months into the unknowable unless you’re trying to get tickets for Glastonbury festival or The Rolling Stones first farewell (are any of us still alive?) tour

Hola, I am still trying to figure this out. So bare with me. You do not have to walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles in one day. You have the Orisson or Valcarlos day one options. Orison will most likely be closed for the winter - but you should be able to make a booking for April 2023 onwards from early Feb 2023. Not sure if booking available at Valcarlos.
If Roncesvalles still booked out then your day 2 option is Espinal - 7 or 8 km away. Cheers

Hola, I am still trying to figure this out. So bare with me. You do not have to walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles in one day. You have the Orisson or Valcarlos day one options. Orison will most likely be closed for the winter - but you should be able to make a booking for April 2023 onwards from early Feb 2023. Not sure if booking available at Valcarlos.
If Roncesvalles still booked out then your day 2 option is Espinal - 7 or 8 km away. Cheers
In addition there's the option of spending two nights in SJPDP and using Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle to split the first stage.

la-navette-du-matin(2).png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Rolling Stones first farewell (are any of us still alive?) tour

My ex-barber Ian (ex both in the sense that I’ve moved away, and also that he’s deceased - so that’s definitive) had an abysmal taste in music

He was a ‘fan’ of James Last and his orchestra and, being slightly hard of hearing, reacted to an advertisement on the wireless for tickets to the impresario’s ‘farewell concert’. Thinking it was his final opportunity to see the man live. He shut the shop, emptied the till, kissed the dog, patted his wife and headed off to Frankfurt.

On arrival he found he had a ticket to ‘Farewell to Germany 2010’; shortly to be followed by ‘Hello to 2011’ with performances daily, twice on Saturdays across Europe including one in Blackburn - about ten miles from his house.

We shouldn’t have laughed, really.

Just for fun, I initiated a booking at the pilgrim albergue of Roncesvalles for the 27th of May 2023. Their reservation system would easily let me book 30 beds
Not only can I book at least 30 beds at the pilgrim albergue of Roncesvalles for May 27, 2023 but also for May 28, May 29, and May 30. Plenty of albergue beds available seven months out. So it's time for another reality check, and I hope people read the whole thread and not just the title with the result that not only will they go into a tailspin as they will ""know"" there are are no beds in 2023 but also subsequently alert others to this ""fact"" :rolleyes:. (Edited to add: Thread title has now been changed ).

As to beds (shared and/or private) at Casa Sabina, Posada de Roncesvalles and Hotel Roncesvalles (see @Ianinam's excellent info in post #8): Hotel Roncesvalles informs on their website that, as in previous years, they are now closed until March. If you wish to do so you can send them a message through the contact page on their website:
Hotel Roncesvalles.jpg

Bookings for Casa Sabina and Posada de Roncesvalles can be made directly with them (on their website or by phone) and they also have a presence on Booking.com. A more than cursory look will tell you that at this moment in time no bookings can be made between February 2023 and February 2024 on Booking.com. Completely booked for a year??? Nonsense, of course not. They simply have not yet bothered to put any of their beds and prices on Booking com for the next season - all dates are still empty. Needless to say that Booking.com clearly points out that Booking.com have no beds on offer - it does not mean that all beds at the establishment as such are already booked, if any. Here's the current Booking.com screenshot for the Posada:
Posada booking.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I had a guess as to what happened I'd think that you had a look at Booking.com and saw that there were no beds on Booking.com.
Katharina might be right (assuming that that is what happened): there's nothing wrong with using Booking.com. Just don't rely on it as your only source of information....

Katharina might be right (assuming that that is what happened): there's nothing wrong with using Booking.com. Just don't rely on it as your only source of information....

Indeed! May I also add that I find it always interesting and fun to work it out for myself and not rely on algorithms and big companies who know they think what is best for me.... ;)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So, found a spot in Espinal! Do I really have to "hightail" it there AFTER (somehow) actually making it to Roncevalles? Sheesh! I'm trying to "wing it", good people of the Forum, but I'm definitely getting a little "squirrelly"!
Consider Orison at a good first start day and then a second day to Roncevalles, it eases you into the Camino and fun place to stay.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I find it hard to believe that the monastery has no space for the next 7 months you need to make some form of contact .web address www.alberguederoncesvalles.com .

Sigh. Not only is Roncesvalles not booked, but I am discouraged that so many new pilgrims find the need to pre-book at all! There's something so freeing about just walking with a pack and stopping when you feel ready, have found companions you'd like to hang out with, or a tiny little town with one charming Albergue. I have never booked ahead and have always found a bed. That said, I prefer to walk in the shoulder months when things aren't so busy. May should be fine to do that way unless you need a private room. With the exception of Orison which does fill.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I usually walk to Orisson and back; then I take an early taxi (Taxi Napoleon) back to Orisson in the morning. I sleep in Burguete which is a pleasant 3 k from Roncesvalles and has nice accommodation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A bit less and great little village to spend a night.
Brierley says 3.1k but one way or another, it is a lovely part of the Camino at the end of a long day. Flat and through a beautiful, shaded area. I had to ship my bag to Roncesvalles because that is as far as the French transport will take them, so I did not have sleeping bag etc but I was able to rent sheets, blanket and towels at my albergue, the Lorentz Aterpea. I stopped at Roncesvalles to re-label my bag for shipping the next day to my next destination.

Brierley says 3.1k but one way or another, it is a lovely part of the Camino at the end of a long day. Flat and through a beautiful, shaded area. I had to ship my bag to Roncesvalles because that is as far as the French transport will take them, so I did not have sleeping bag etc but I was able to rent sheets, blanket and towels at my albergue, the Lorentz Aterpea. I stopped at Roncesvalles to re-label my bag for shipping the next day to my next destination.
I'm being positive!

What about staying at Orisson or Borda, and then Espinal?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I thought I could wing it in 2019. Missed a bed in Roncesvalles even though arrived by 2.30pm. Walked on to Espinal but was almost ready to go home then. Continued to SDC but missed out on too many beds to wing it very much after that. That " completo" sign was too common.

Sigh. Not only is Roncesvalles not booked, but I am discouraged that so many new pilgrims find the need to pre-book at all! There's something so freeing about just walking with a pack and stopping when you feel ready, have found companions you'd like to hang out with, or a tiny little town with one charming Albergue. I have never booked ahead and have always found a bed. That said, I prefer to walk in the shoulder months when things aren't so busy. May should be fine to do that way unless you need a private room. With the exception of Orison which does fill.
What I find discouraging are people who think what works for them is what everyone should do. What you describe would not be freeing for me. Instead, it would cause me constant anxiety as I walked, worried about where I would sleep. So I will pre-book and enjoy the freedom of walking with that issue removed from my mind, recognizing that I am trading some level of spontaneity for peace of mind. I know for some that would ruin the essence of the Camino but it is best for me.

I rarely feel the need to share my feelings here but what I find sad sometimes is the advice that is given by people who have already walked x Caminos to people who have walked zero Caminos and who start in SJPP.

I understand that frequent Camino walkers regard locations merely as interchangeable staging posts - if they can't find a bed here then they just walk to there, it does not matter to them, Roncesvalles or Burguete or Espinal or Zubiri, it is all the same to them. I have learnt to understand that, on Camino, what matters to me a lot, does not matter to others one bit. So be it and I am not trying to impose my views on others but I wish that others would do the same. Suffice it to say that I, too, do not regard the "never book mantra" as particularly liberating no matter how many times it is posted here.

Roncesvalles is a special place for more than one reason but I'll only address the logistics aspect. At certain times of the year, the albergue is full and dozens if not hundreds of first time walkers have to walk on, or if they are physically not able which is likely if they have not yet walked 1000s of Camino kilometers in earlier times and are simply not able to walk more than 24-26 km a day they will be put on a taxi to Pamplona or to elsewhere by the hospitaleros. That is by now a well-known fact. So, with respect to Roncesvalles and to first time Camino walkers: What on earth is so liberating if they don't book an albergue bed for their first night on Camino? Roncesvalles is the place they want to stay and where it is reasonable for them to stay. It thoughtless to tell them not to book a bed at one of the hotels or at the albergue of Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
First: I notice that the OP has not acknowledged any replies, or did I flick too fast through all the contributions in this thread? I have been in the wings - is that winging it? 🤔 for some weeks now, but was intrigued when looking for a specific post, and so here I am, sticking in my tuppence worth.

Dear OP, have no idea what you mean by squirrelly. I read a few of the early replies, and there is right reason there.
You do not have to do anything.
Wing it? Wing it? 7 months ahead of setting out?
As a profound Glasgow tv character would tell you: See here, Jimmy: get a grip.
Pack and unpack as often as you like. Don't take a plate or a mug, by the way, or too many pairs of socks. I know, you didn't ask, just free advice 😇
I hope by the time you set foot on your pilgrimage you will know more about what winging it could mean for you.
Seriously. It is a deep and wonderful experience. Of your design. Buen camino.

It has been brought to my attention that the OP has indeed responded. Apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make an appointment at the R Hotel.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lol. Unfortunately yet now serendipitously I read the original post and did what??!! 😱and booked my night in Roncevalles for late April at 1am this morning. I reacted like the newbie that I am but…it is the first reservation I’ve made for my long awaited Camino. Haven’t even bought my plane ticket and now today it finally feels real that my turn has indeed come. ❤️

I find something else sad but I rarely feel the need to share my feelings here: It is the advice that is given by people who have already walked x Caminos to people who have walked zero Caminos and who start in SJPP.

I understand that frequent Camino walkers regard locations merely as interchangeable staging posts - if they can't find a bed here then they just walk to there, it does not matter to them, Roncesvalles or Burguete or Espinal or Zubiri, it is all the same to them. I have learnt to understand that, on Camino, what matters to me a lot, does not matter to others one bit. So be it and I am not trying to impose my views on others but I wish that others would do the same. Suffice it to say that I, too, do not regard the "never book mantra" as particularly liberating no matter how many times it is posted here.

Roncesvalles is a special place for more than one reason but I'll only address the logistics aspect. At certain times of the year, the albergue is full and dozens if not hundreds of first time walkers have to walk on, or if they are physically not able which is likely if they have not yet walked 1000s of Camino kilometers in earlier times and are simply not able to walk more than 24-26 km a day they will be put on a taxi to Pamplona or to elsewhere by the hospitaleros. That is by now a well-known fact. So, with respect to Roncesvalles and to first time Camino walkers: What on earth is so liberating if they don't book an albergue bed for their first night on Camino? Roncesvalles is the place they want to stay and where it is reasonable for them to stay. It is not sad - it is just silly and thoughtless to tell them not to book a bed at one of the hotels or at the albergue of Roncesvalles.
I think you have misinterpreted the post from bks. His comment was not about booking in Roncesvalles, it was about the needless, sensationalist headline from the OP. However, I’ll let him comment, if he wishes.

I think you have misinterpreted the post from bks. His comment was not about booking in Roncesvalles, it was about the needless, sensationalist headline from the OP. However, I’ll let him comment, if he wishes.
Thanks. I have now edited a few words in my earlier post and I have removed the quote from another post. The essence of what I wrote remains, however: it makes eminent sense for first time Camino walkers who start in SJPP to book their bed in Roncesvalles and there is no need to admonish them when they do.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I read the original post and did what??!! 😱and booked my night in Roncevalles for late April at 1am this morning.
😊. And Buen Camino!

Something to bear in mind for those who are not overly familiar with European calendars and have ploughed through the 42 posts of this thread. The 1st of May 2023 is a Monday. It’s a public holiday in numerous countries. This is an attractive combination of a weekend and a public holiday. Hence the last weekend of April 2023 is likely to be busy in SJPP and in Roncesvalles. (The first two weeks in May and in September are among the busiest times there but surely everyone knows this by now).

Something to bear in mind for those who are not overly familiar with European calendars ...
Spain's calendar week starting on Monday caused me to book a train on the day after we wanted. Luckily I caught the mistake right away. Rather than go through the trouble of rebooking the tickets it gave me the opportunity to book us for an extra night in Barcelona.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please read the replies below before becoming misled or taking any quick action.
If you are using Booking.com for Roncesvalles (except for the Monastery where you can only reach them through email) or any other location along the Camino, please note that albergues, hostels and private altergues only provide a small amount to available beds to be listed through Booking.com as albergues need to pay a fee for their listing. Better to wait until early March to reach albergues directly by phone or email. They are very good at responding to emails.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

MODERATOR NOTE:
Please read the replies below before becoming misled or taking any quick action.
I have used "bookings" for rooms and hotels, throughout the world with great success. What concerns me is that their service will book "Non-Pilgrims" into albergues. This makes "Reservation-Pilgrims" scramble and the race begins. "Wing It" it's part of the adventure, Public (No Reservations) albergues are fantastic.

What I find discouraging are people who think what works for them is what everyone should do. What you describe would not be freeing for me. Instead, it would cause me constant anxiety as I walked, worried about where I would sleep. So I will pre-book and enjoy the freedom of walking with that issue removed from my mind, recognizing that I am trading some level of spontaneity for peace of mind. I know for some that would ruin the essence of the Camino but it is best for me.
Dear AnneO —- I completely respect this anxiety management perspective. I do hope for your own sake that what you pre-book is also free to cancel. At least more often by a long shot than not.
Why?
Because there is a different anxiety many first-time walkers encounter that they had not anticipated in the “I need to know I won’t sleep outside” approach and that is this:
”I know I have 5 blisters on my feet and my knee is shot. I haven’t had more than 5 hours of sleep a night in over a week and I really did not anticipate how hard today’s trail is turning out to be, but I have 10 more KM to go for my reservation and so I have to be there!”
I have run into this particular aspect of challenge more times than I care to count… And it is made worse if the poor pilgrim has also sent baggage forward. On my most recent trip I encountered two women who had, for different reasons, brought suitcases with them and had booked the entire trail to follow their luggage from place to place or else risk losing it. One ended up with bursitis in her hips and the other with feet wrapped in white blister tape. Both lost the ability to enjoy the days as they came…
So, yes, pre-book to feel better, but allow yourself an exit strategy for those days when you just can’t go any further and there’s a great option almost where you are standing.
Buen Camino

I never thought of that. Some travelers will get quite a surprise.
Indeed, a very nicely outfitted albergue in which I stayed in September in Leon prior to starting on the Salvador was filled mostly with tourists who found pilgrims to be a very strange surprise even though the hospitaleros were very well-versed in the different caminos one could arrive to/from via Leon.

I just walked the CF 9/10-10/16. Since it was a very busy time I made advanced reservations for the first few days to Puenta la Reina. After that I made the reservations 1-2 days ahead. I found Bookings to be fine for the larger towns but often worthless for the small ones. They would frequent indicate on their site there were no beds available in the town and would try to route you to more expensive hotels out of town.
I found the most useful tool for finding a bed was the Buen Camino app. Some of the places you could do it all online but I found it best to call them directly for a reservation. It's also a good idea if you're going to be a bit late to your room to call them at 1-2pm to confirm you're still coming. After 3pm some places will give your room up. Because of the anticipated crowds joining the Camino in Sarria, I made all my reservations form there to Santiago days ahead and glad I did. What a crazy surge of pilgrims!
Buen Camino

Dear AnneO —- I completely respect this anxiety management perspective. I do hope for your own sake that what you pre-book is also free to cancel. At least more often by a long shot than not.
Why?
Because there is a different anxiety many first-time walkers encounter that they had not anticipated in the “I need to know I won’t sleep outside” approach and that is this:
”I know I have 5 blisters on my feet and my knee is shot. I haven’t had more than 5 hours of sleep a night in over a week and I really did not anticipate how hard today’s trail is turning out to be, but I have 10 more KM to go for my reservation and so I have to be there!”
I have run into this particular aspect of challenge more times than I care to count… And it is made worse if the poor pilgrim has also sent baggage forward. On my most recent trip I encountered two women who had, for different reasons, brought suitcases with them and had booked the entire trail to follow their luggage from place to place or else risk losing it. One ended up with bursitis in her hips and the other with feet wrapped in white blister tape. Both lost the ability to enjoy the days as they came…
So, yes, pre-book to feel better, but allow yourself an exit strategy for those days when you just can’t go any further and there’s a great option almost where you are standing.
Buen Camino
On the Frances, anyway, the simple solution would be to take a cab or bus part or all of the way to one’s accommodation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the Frances, anyway, the simple solution would be to take a cab or bus part or all of the way to one’s accommodation.
If one has the budget for that… People often don’t, at least not to do it more than once. That said, I once needed a taxi due to injury on one of my caminos, and my pension host refused to allow me a taxi and insisted I take the baggage shuttle. He was *livid* about the cost of taxis… and called the baggage carrier for me… it was a difference of something like 6 euros verus 30….
So… people concerned about funds: it is possible to move ahead in the mornings with the various baggage carriers. Just ask your hosts to help arrange it.

MODERATOR NOTE:
I returned home from the Camino Frances a few weeks ago - I used the Wise Pilgrim app to find beds along the way and make reservations directly with the albergues. The app includes phone number, whatsapp number & email for albergues (and casa rurals, hotels & hostals) in basically every city. It's a great resource!

I returned home from the Camino Frances a few weeks ago - I used the Wise Pilgrim app to find beds along the way and make reservations directly with the albergues. The app includes phone number, whatsapp number & email for albergues (and casa rurals, hotels & hostals) in basically every city. It's a great resource!
Wise Pilgrim app is helpful as is Buen Camino and the Camino Ninja apps. for making direct reservations.

I also just returned from Camino Frances and while most people used the various apps mentioned above, I did not use any but relied solely on the 6-page handout given to me at the pilgrim office in SJPP. Before leaving home, I did make a few paid reservations in some key places where I wanted to spend 2 days, but aside from that, every evening after showering and resting, I would sit start calling the albergues for the town I projected to be at the next day. It worked very well for me.

Re Orisson, Bookings opened mid December 2022. I reserved only yesterday and waiting confirmation. It takes a little while apparently for confirmation. So am keeping fingers crossed that I get a bed for my mid April start. Booked Roncessvalles and paid, no problem. I'm winging it from thereon.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back