• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Revisiting the Camino Francés

P

PANO

Ever since completing my Camino last fall, I am thinking of returning a second time, probably like most of us.
I would most certainly work on my Spanish vocabulary and on my knowledge of the region’s captivating history in order to be able to see the Camino with different eyes. Most probably I would also stay more frequently at hostals and pensions.
But I am afraid of those moments of finding that the previously great albergue is just «so-so», the fantastic food in that small restaurant has turned terrible, that the deep emotions felt at the Cruz de fierro are empty now, etc.
Have those of you with multiple Camino’s under their belt any recommendations of ways to avoid the «déjà vu» effect, disappointments and repetitions that won’t be quite the same as on the first trip?
- How to make a second turn as exhilarating and unique as the first one?
- How to avoid constant (and futile) comparisons?
- What are the traps to avoid?

I really appreciate your advises.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have those of you with multiple Camino’s under their belt any recommendations of ways to avoid the «déjà vu» effect and the disappointment of repetitions
Have no expectations. Without a time machine, you cannot go home again, so accept the repeat as a unique experience. Erase everything from your memory except that occasional tricky intersection where you got disoriented.

From 2004 through 2013 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety nine times. The terrain may have been the same but the realities greatly varied. Although each Camino began with both anticipation and trepidation as I wondered how it all would go, each pilgrimage developed its own rich mix of old friends and new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, of course, philosophical musings and thanksgiving.

Remember "The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them. You have to start the journey anew. Always." Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
From 2004 through 2013 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety nine times. The terrain may have been the same but the realities greatly varied. Although each Camino began with both anticipation and trepidation as I wondered how it all would go, each pilgrimage developed its own rich mix of old friends and new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, of course, philosophical musings and thanksgiving.

Margaret Meredith

Margaret, do you stay in the same towns each time or go out of your way to mix it up? Have you developed a favorite stretch of the Camino? Have the emotions entering Santiago changed over time?

Robert,

Wherever I might be each day begins with a new dawn and ends with silent thanks for the continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of living, especially on the Camino. ...Since I stay in pilgrim albergues each journey is based on where these may be found. However seasonal closings, weather extremes and my own stamina often impact any plans! Over the years many 'permanent people' along the route have become friends; each camino I try to stop and say 'Hola' and once again enjoy their gracious companionship. Similarly many vistas, buildings, sculptures have become 'mine' and serve as markers for my path; since I always look forward to seeing them once again it is always a shock when they disappear.

All of us who walk to Santiago whatever our reasons or beliefs must share similar quickened emotions upon arrival; mine are always a complex mix of euphoria and sadness. When I arrived last December it was at the simple northeast corner. As always I put my hand on the ancient stone wall and weeping offered silent thanks for all that enabled another camino. ...The realities change but the thrill remains.

Margaret

But I am afraid of those moments of finding that the previously great albergue is just «so-so», the fantastic food in that small restaurant has turned terrible, that the deep emotions felt at the Cruz de fierro are empty now, etc.

Hi Pano, personally I know the struglle very well. Not with the camino but with other activities in my life.
There is a dutch poem which goes like: A man often suffers the most, because of the suffering he fears. Probably there is also an englist phrase like this.
My thoughts now are: dare to be disappointed. You'll be fine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thomas, thank you for the saying from the Dutch poem. It was just what I needed to hear tonight.

Hi Pano, personally I know the struggle very well. Not with the camino but with other activities in my life.
There is a dutch poem which goes like: A man often suffers the most, because of the suffering he fears. Probably there is also an englist phrase like this.
My thoughts now are: dare to be disappointed. You'll be fine.

Many thanks for your encouragements, Falcon, Margaret, Thomas!
I am still debating if it would not be wiser to chose another Camino such as the Norte, this would take care of the déja-vu but I read that it is a lot more "frugal" in regards to accommodation and food. Also, the Norte being less frequented, I may miss the enjoyable companionship.
Oh well, decisions, decisions....but its a lot of fun to play with the thoughts. The first time around, it was a question of "do it or not", now its "do it this way or another"; the excitement is building!

Remember "The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them. You have to start the journey anew. Always." Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Great advice, Margaret, and such common sense in your quote. I also may do the camino again soon with my husband and wondered about the magic of repeating it all. Its like reading a great personal development book over and over and finding different insights each time. Thank you for this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also may do the camino again soon with my husband and wondered about the magic of repeating it all.
I became one of those very boring camino repeaters who told all his fellow pilgrims about what was ahead. Then it occurred to me that I was trying to make my memories their memories, and I stopped doing it. I try to stick to factual answers to direct questions on what lies ahead. You cannot repeat it all, either for yourself or another person, so do yourself a favor and do not try to repeat.;)

I am still debating if it would not be wiser to chose another Camino such as the Norte, this would take care of the déja-vu but I read that it is a lot more "frugal" in regards to accommodation and food. Also, the Norte being less frequented, I may miss the enjoyable companionship.
Oh well, decisions, decisions....but its a lot of fun to play with the thoughts. The first time around, it was a question of "do it or not", now its "do it this way or another"; the excitement is building!

Hello,

While I was scrolling down, I was thinking to suggest the Camino Norte.

Like you, I was longing to return to the Camino after promising I would never walk that far in my life ever again. My first walk on the CF was the most incredible journey of my life. Five years later, I decided to walk the CN. While it was an entirely different experience, I loved each day. Still thirsting for more Camino, two years after that I returned to the CF. Not wanting to recreate anything from the first walk, I had an extremely pleasurable experience staying in different refugios, meeting new people, trying new things, being me. Soon, I will return to the CN, include the Camino Primitivo, and continue to Muxia/Fisterra. I know this will be yet another new experience to appreciate. I know I'm fortunate.

I bet you would find the CN quite stimulating. If for some reason it wasn't to your liking, there is no shame in bussing down to the CF and picking up from there.

Whichever you choose, you'll be on the Camino. There is only good in that.

Cheers,
Simeon

Hola Simeon,
excellent practical advise, thank you. I like your idea a lot. How would you characterise the CN vs CF in a nutshell? I'd have many questions about accommodation (Albergues and Hostals) food, etc. Don't know if this the right thread but I'am certain that many other members would be interested too; or we exchange on Conversation?

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for asking. I always enjoy sharing. A nutshell version is my downfall though. I'll try.

Comparing the two may seem quite easy, but as you know the walk has much to do with the experience we have with other people and how we feel inside each day.

The CN is more "demanding" as far as hills, distances between refugios, tarmac walking. It is also more rewarding as far as incredible coastal scenery, delicious seafood, the ability to jump into the sea on a warm day (hard to get out sometimes especially if beer/wine involved), less walkers which could bring a closer knit group. Oh, I refer to warm day instead of hot day as the climate is much cooler along the coast. There could be some hot ones of course. I like those too. Just like on the CF, one is rarely without a place to stay, food to eat, wine/chocolate to savor. In places where there might not be refugios, I found places which offered "pilgrim's prices" for rooms. These were always good especially if I could share the cost with someone else. A nice respite from the refugios as well.

Walking distances for me are more on the CN; maybe 35km instead of 29km on the CF. On either route, I don't like to walk any later in the day than 14:00. However, on the CN there were a few days of longer hours. I didn't mind so much as the weather was nice. The walks of others does not have to be this long each day. It's what I prefer.

Consider I walked four years ago during the Holy Year in the beginning of summer. Over these years, I've come to find out the popularity of the CN has increased (as has the Caminos in general) and so has some of the services. In the 10 years of reading/writing of the Way to SdC, I can not remember one time coming across another who didn't enjoy the overall experience of the CN.

When I return, I will like to connect the CN route with local trails and the GR-9(?) so as to stay closer to the coast and off the tarmac which is the worst part of the CN. There are some days when the trail makes no sense to me. I don't mean to attack the authenticity of the historical Camino itself. I mean to say is the Spanish build things and re-route the CN. While the initial signs of "detour" are well placed, they seem to forget to indicate how to get back to the Camino route! Extremely frustrating. However, even this had brought new adventure.

Is this a good start? How else may I assist?

Salud,
Simeon

I would agree with falcon, walk without expectations and you will not be disappointed, make it a totally new experience and try different albergues and cafes. Whatever you decide have a safe and enjoyable Camino.

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for asking. I always enjoy sharing. A nutshell version is my downfall though. I'll try.

Comparing the two may seem quite easy, but as you know the walk has much to do with the experience we have with other people and how we feel inside each day.

The CN is more "demanding" as far as hills, distances between refugios, tarmac walking. It is also more rewarding as far as incredible coastal scenery, delicious seafood, the ability to jump into the sea on a warm day (hard to get out sometimes especially if beer/wine involved), less walkers which could bring a closer knit group. Oh, I refer to warm day instead of hot day as the climate is much cooler along the coast. There could be some hot ones of course. I like those too. Just like on the CF, one is rarely without a place to stay, food to eat, wine/chocolate to savor. In places where there might not be refugios, I found places which offered "pilgrim's prices" for rooms. These were always good especially if I could share the cost with someone else. A nice respite from the refugios as well.

Walking distances for me are more on the CN; maybe 35km instead of 29km on the CF. On either route, I don't like to walk any later in the day than 14:00. However, on the CN there were a few days of longer hours. I didn't mind so much as the weather was nice. The walks of others does not have to be this long each day. It's what I prefer.

Consider I walked four years ago during the Holy Year in the beginning of summer. Over these years, I've come to find out the popularity of the CN has increased (as has the Caminos in general) and so has some of the services. In the 10 years of reading/writing of the Way to SdC, I can not remember one time coming across another who didn't enjoy the overall experience of the CN.

When I return, I will like to connect the CN route with local trails and the GR-9(?) so as to stay closer to the coast and off the tarmac which is the worst part of the CN. There are some days when the trail makes no sense to me. I don't mean to attack the authenticity of the historical Camino itself. I mean to say is the Spanish build things and re-route the CN. While the initial signs of "detour" are well placed, they seem to forget to indicate how to get back to the Camino route! Extremely frustrating. However, even this had brought new adventure.

Is this a good start? How else may I assist?

Salud,
Simeon

Hey Simeon

many thanks for your elaborate and enlightening response. «Delicious sea-food» definitely hits my weakest spot.

The longer distances you mention do worry me though, I just past 70 and would like to keep my daily rations at around 25km, any problems to find lodging within such distance? (Hostals and pensions would be just fine, I am no particular fan of dormitories). Any particularly tough elevations I should prepare myself for?

On the CF last fall, I mostly carried my pack but I did appreciate to send it forward on a few occasions; any such services on the CN? (Not that their absences would be a deterrent, I am just wondering)

Yes, you make the CN look as a very interesting alternative to which I start warming up already; nothing’s like an experts advise.

Gracias, Pierre

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back