• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Revisiting the Camino - how was it for you?(!)

Caminando

Veteran Member
This may have come up before...

I first did the Camino Frances in '90 or '91 from Le Puy. I just loved it.

10 years or so later I did the Frances again from Jaca, thinking that it would be a similarly wonderful experience, but I was quite wrong, quite naive to think this. This second walk was fantastic, but NOTHING like the first by way of inner experience.

Then a few years back I tried the VDP from Salamanca (after failing from Merida -I was maybe 5 days into that before the heat finished me). That was also great, but NOTHING like the first.

Anyway, I will be back on the Camino, but I will not now attempt or expect to recapture that first astounding Way. I will never forget it.

Maybe I've learned something, for once in my life!

:arrow:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Caminando -

Very true!

After my first camino, I knew that I would walk the camino as long as I could, and I promised myself that every camino would be a singular and unique experience.
My first camino was so magical, so liberating, so rich in discovery about myself, what it meant to me to be a pilgrim, meeting life-long friends, and of course in discovering Spain and its people. I still begin each camino with anticipation and openness, and allow it to unfold and present itself as it will. But never with the magic of the first!

"You can never enter the same river twice."

lynne

This has come up before but it always fascinates me. Some people never manage to recapture the magic of their 'first time' and others seem to grow into the camino experience. (I am one of the evolving pilgrims and know that I still have a lot to learn so need to walk many more caminos!!)
I posted this a couple of years ago.

In “Journey to Portugal” Jose Saramago who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1998, said:
'The journey is never over. Only travellers come to an end. The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see the crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them. You have to start the journey anew. Always. The traveler sets out once more."

Sil -
I love that quote - it's beautiful and evocative. I didn't mean that I didn't learn and enjoy new experiences on each and every camino, nor did I mean to imply that after the first I was jaded. Indeed - each camino has been special and ultimately memorable for many unique reasons and I look for that uniqueness each time. In another thread here, someone who hasn't yet walked a camino refers to himself as a "virgin". That's what it was like for my first camino. And as far as I know, one can never be a virgin after that "first time" :)

lynne

In Santiago I found myself saying Buen Camino to people and really meaning it because the longest and most meaningful journey is the journey to within. Maybe the physical part was over (or, in the case of many returnees just the first stage), but the journey itself has only begun. So many asked me if the Camino matched my expectations. They were surprized when I told them that one of the first things I had to let go before I even landed in Spain were any expectations. I am still processing.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back