• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RFID blockers

ricitosdeplata

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2015: Via de la Plata
I was just on Travelsmith's website trying to find a long sleeve blouse to wear in the sun, when I saw various forms of rfid blockers. On further investigation saw that you can make your own. Do any of you more techie savvy pilgrims know about these blockers and if they're necessary for phones, credit cards and passports?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I bought some one year and ended up tossing them.
You don't need them, in my opinion.
If you're freaky, just wrap up your cards in tinfoil.
(and don't forget your hat!) ::running and laughing:::

I was just on Travelsmith's website trying to find a long sleeve blouse to wear in the sun, when I saw various forms of rfid blockers. On further investigation saw that you can make your own. Do any of you more techie savvy pilgrims know about these blockers and if they're necessary for phones, credit cards and passports?

I would recommend contacting your service providers.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Really unnecessary

Your bank will have the sleeves, they put the ATM/Debit cards in them.

Tin foil is the ticket as previous mentioned. The hat is optional of course. Tin foil will prevent any unwanted scanning if you are worried about that sort of thing. I use a rfid sleeve when traveling through certain airports just as a precaution .
EL Guapo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks all for your responses. BTW, I am looking freaky nowadays with the umbrella attached to my backpack as I walk on a university campus here where I live. Get a lot of smiles from fellow walkers but wearing sunglasses makes me feel anonymous. Wait till I put my psychedelic gaiters, evil eye earrings and rain skirt on. Hoping my getup will be a deterrent to evil doers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
BTW, I am looking freaky nowadays with the umbrella attached to my backpack as I walk

So am I, Ricitos, so am I. Lolol
Walked today from Merida to Aljucen and eventually found the courage after a while to open the umbrella!!
Ok it may look ridiculous but it makes SUCH a difference!
(Couldn't find out before as it was 13 deg max in England...)

Well Gauvins we 're newbies at umbrellas :oops: but you're right, the difference is fabulous! Like walking at all times in the shade. It was 35 deg here too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And wait till we have underwear drying on our back packs. Did I say I am also using trekking poles? Maybe for times when I need a boost of energy I could get one of those harmonicas you suspend around your neck like Bob Dylan, and play Blowin in the Wind.

This thread reminds me of one of the "better Camino gear" ideas I had while walking. Someone needs make a trekking pole that has a built in umbrella.

I'm a off topic here, but if you are looking for sun protection for your arms I can recommend "sun sleeves" from Sunday Afternoons.

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/radiant-sun-sleeve-4634.html
Thanks for the link, Sheesh!
It saves taking a lightweight longsleeve shirt!

About 10 years ago, on my first Camino, the sun was harsh, and I found a pair of lightweight pajamas someone had discarded and wore it during the day to block the sun.

Then, many kilometers up the road, I was standing in line for a shower and the lady behind me pulled out the bottoms to the same pajamas. We had a good laugh about that!

24zgpba.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Getting back to RFIDs, there is no doubt cybercrime is increasing. I purchased some of those sleeves for both credit cards as well as my passport and here is the reason: Although during my 2013 walk I never used plastic to make purchases, paid for everything in cash, I ONLY used my bank card to withdraw money from ATMs and I ONLY used ATMs that were inside and I was ALWAYS extremely careful to shield my information from view. One day (I had just reached Sarria) my husband called from the States to tell me our bank's fraud department had contacted him because someone had attempted to book a plane ticket for a flight to Mexico, using MY card number. Prior to leaving the country, I had alerted my bank about my travel dates, and how I planned only to use the card to withdraw cash at the ATM, never for purchases. This was not a card I had ever used online either... So, how and where did someone acquire my card number? Fortunately, this particular card was attached to an account that my husband would load for me as needed, and at the moment the thief tried to use the number online, there was not enough money in the account for a plane ticket. But nobody can answer the question of how someone got ahold of my card number. There is an interesting video on the website of a company that sells RFID protection and it shows how vulnerable we are to what is basically a form of cyber pickpocketing. I researched those little sleeves, found some inexpensive ones online and decided against the DIY version, although I understand aluminum foil does work... I do not ever want to go through something like that again...you cannot imagine how it felt to know someone had gotten access to my card number and to wonder about how else I could be vulnerable. Since then, all my plastic money travels inside one of those little sleeves. It's a small price to pay for the extra peace of mind. Before this happened, I would have thought this sort of protection unnecessary too. Google this stuff. You may be surprised to find out what can really happen in this world.

Hello everyone.
I never walk without an umbrella. Mostly in summer.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back