• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ride share from London Heathrow to Canterbury, May 1, 2023

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
I know it is early, but given the complexity and length of walking a full VF between Canterbury and Rome I have begun to make my travel plans for 2023.
In addition one does not know what role/impact our earlier Covid travel restrictions might play on next years travel crowds worldwide.
With all that being said I have already booked my flights from the U.S. to London and arriving in London (Heathrow) in the morning hours of May 1, 2023 and have reserved a car to Canterbury.

If anyone is arriving around the same time period I would extend an opportunity to share cost(s) for this approximate 1hour and 40 minute ride to the Cathedral. The vehicle will hold up to 4 occupants according to the description given online.

Any takers. Let me know. Until then happy planning !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know it is early, but given the complexity and length of walking a full VF between Canterbury and Rome I have begun to make my travel plans for 2023.
In addition one does not know what role/impact our earlier Covid travel restrictions might play on next years travel crowds worldwide.
With all that being said I have already booked my flights from the U.S. to London and arriving in London (Heathrow) in the morning hours of May 1, 2023 and have reserved a car to Canterbury.

If anyone is arriving around the same time period I would extend an opportunity to share cost(s) for this approximate 1hour and 40 minute ride to the Cathedral. The vehicle will hold up to 4 occupants according to the description given online.

Any takers. Let me know. Until then happy planning !
Hi, what time do you arrive at Heathrow? I’m from Australia and will look for flights arriving around same time. Will let you know. Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Did you know that there is a Pilgrim's Way walking route from central London to Canterbury? It replicates the route described by Chaucer in Pilgrims Progress.
Heathrow to central London is 40 minutes by train (or 1hr 15m but cheaper, by Underground) and there is waymarking from Southwark Cathedral (just South of London Bridge).
90 miles from Southwark to Canterbury - 6 or 7 days depending on your fitness. Although urban at first, the route offers some historic villages, churches and inns, at least one monastery (still with monks and with rooms for pilgrims) and increasingly rural scenery once in Kent.
Cicerone publish a guidebook and Southwark Cathedral shop sells credentials.

Did you know that there is a Pilgrim's Way walking route from central London to Canterbury? It replicates the route described by Chaucer in Pilgrims Progress.
Heathrow to central London is 40 minutes by train (or 1hr 15m but cheaper, by Underground) and there is waymarking from Southwark Cathedral (just South of London Bridge).
90 miles from Southwark to Canterbury - 6 or 7 days depending on your fitness. Although urban at first, the route offers some historic villages, churches and inns, at least one monastery (still with monks and with rooms for pilgrims) and increasingly rural scenery once in Kent.
Cicerone publish a guidebook and Southwark Cathedral shop sells credentials.

Yes I am aware, but time restrictions just would not allow these days to be added. (I wish I could!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Bob, just a reminder about the time zone change, at 11:45am UK time your body clock will be set to 03:45. Please allow some sleep time before you jump in a RHD car and drive to Canterbury. The Motorway route is very busy and you'll be arriving on a Bank Holiday which usually means extra holiday traffic on the roads. I suggest you investigate bus or rail connections to get you from Heathrow to Canterbury.

Hi Bob, just a reminder about the time zone change, at 11:45am UK time your body clock will be set to 03:45. Please allow some sleep time before you jump in a RHD car and drive to Canterbury. The Motorway route is very busy and you'll be arriving on a Bank Holiday which usually means extra holiday traffic on the roads. I suggest you investigate bus or rail connections to get you from Heathrow to Canterbury.

This is a timetable screenshot from "National Express", bus company, looks like there is a bus @15:20 on 1st May with only one change. Worth considering

Screenshot_20221016-210215.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this information.......
The way I plan on going from LHR to Canterbury is to be picked up by a private drivers service, who will meet me at baggage claim then drive me direct to Canterbury. This will (should) take about 1 Hour 40 minutes. I want to arrive in Canterbury ASAP after my flight to do last minute things in preparation to step off in short order.
In doing my research I found the difference between me being picked up and me renting a car and have to navigate and drive myself was a matter of only a few more dollars. All of this and I wouldn't have to learn how to drive on the "wrong" side of the road all in one day (LOL)!
Either way I again thank you for this "Head's up" information and still extend the offer to anyone arriving about the same time and going to the same city.

Happy planning.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
. All of this and I wouldn't have to learn how to drive on the "wrong" side of the road all in one day (LOL)!
Either way I again thank you for this "Head's up" information and still extend the offer to anyone arriving about the same time and going to the same city.
In the 1980s I worked in a hotel in St Andrews which had a contract with an American golf tourism company. Guests would arrive at Prestwick airport at odd hours of the day. Often on their first visit to the UK. Then they would discover the hire car they had rented as part of the package was (a) right hand drive, (b) manual gearbox and (c) half the size of their own car at home. Those with no experience of stick-shift had to try to master clutch control while driving on the wrong side of the road. The icing on the cake was a roundabout just outside the airport. Clockwise or anti-clockwise? The hotel staff fairly quickly learned to spot the guests who had guessed wrong by the cuts and bruises....

The way I plan on going from LHR to Canterbury is to be picked up by a private drivers service,
Good plan Bob, probably the best way to travel to Canterbury after a long flight.
My wife and I recently walked the Pilgrims Way (mentioned above) from Winchester to Canterbury but only met one other pilgrim walking the VF. He'd started on the West coast of Ireland, crossing Ireland, Wales and England. Don't forget Pilgrims get free entry to Canterbury Cathedral and the nearby church of St Martin's, (reputedly the oldest church building in England with Roman foundations) is worth a visit and on the VF.

I am really looking forward to visiting it.

Thanks again for your insight

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for this information.......
The way I plan on going from LHR to Canterbury is to be picked up by a private drivers service, who will meet me at baggage claim then drive me direct to Canterbury. This will (should) take about 1 Hour 40 minutes. I want to arrive in Canterbury ASAP after my flight to do last minute things in preparation to step off in short order.
In doing my research I found the difference between me being picked up and me renting a car and have to navigate and drive myself was a matter of only a few more dollars. All of this and I wouldn't have to learn how to drive on the "wrong" side of the road all in one day (LOL)!

Happy planning.
Bob what time do u arrive at Heathrow

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back