• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ride the Tram in Sintra

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
If you're spending any time in Lisbon as part of prepping for, or winding down from, the Portuguese Caminho, and you go out to Sintra to see the palaces, you can actually take an old open-sided tram from central Sintra down to the beach north of Cascais!

We stumbled upon this in a visit to Sintra early this spring. It's an exciting ride; the first part is quite steep out of the Sintra hills and the tram gets going quite fast on a route with lots of corners. It stops in several of the villages along the way. Really interesting and a nice beach visit. About 45 minutes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you're spending any time in Lisbon as part of prepping for, or winding down from, the Portuguese Caminho, and you go out to Sintra to see the palaces, you can actually take an old open-sided tram from central Sintra down to the beach north of Cascais!

We stumbled upon this in a visit to Sintra early this spring. It's an exciting ride; the first part is quite steep out of the Sintra hills and the tram gets going quite fast on a route with lots of corners. It stops in several of the villages along the way. Really interesting and a nice beach visit. About 45 minutes.

I've been to Sintra on a day trip from Lisbon to visit a few unique palaces, etc., but never knew about the tram to the beach.🙁
Hopefully others can benefit from sharing your post/experience.

Me too.. Sintra was pretty but really way too touristy for me.. even in february. And I didn't care much for Cascais for similar reasons...

But the idea of trundling down out of the hills in a tram and screeching around corners, that sounds like fun, I'm sorry I missed it!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Me too.. Sintra was pretty but really way too touristy for me.. even in february. And I didn't care much for Cascais for similar reasons...

But the idea of trundling down out of the hills in a tram and screeching around corners, that sounds like fun, I'm sorry I missed it!
That was how we'd felt about Sintra. We'd done the short really touristy tour before, but missed some of the gardens, which we really wanted to see.

So we did a three-dayer there, and found a small suite in the non-touristy town to stay in. It was called "House of the Tram," or something similar, and we asked the owner why. She pointed us across the street to the tram stop (not really a station). So there it was! It's next to the Art Museum, in the locals' part of town. 10 minutes' walk from the train station, if you're coming into Sintra that way. In mid-spring, the sea at the beach was cold, but the area was lovely.

Wow, it must have changed a lot since I was there.
I loved Sintra!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walked all around Sintra and the surrounding hills in 2018 and found it quite lovely, especially in the evening once the tour groups had moved on. Next time we’ll seek out this tram! Thanks.

Great tip. Thank you!😊

Wow, it must have changed a lot since I was there.
I loved Sintra!
Sintra has gotten so incredibly over-touristed that they have banned cars from a lot of the center.

You need timed tickets for the big attractions, and if you like walking through palaces in a forced march single file keep moving routine, you’ll love it. This may sound curmudgeonly, but I would never take a day trip there now. Spending the night and getting some chance to avoid it without the tour buses and day-trippers would also give you the chance to start the touring as early as possible. This is not a unique story, but Sintra is definitely the victim of its own charm.

There are a couple of very nice “off track” places to visit. My favorites are the Convento dos Capuchos (a miniscule monastery with cork as a predominant building material) and the summer palace of Monserrate. The Chalet of the Countess of Edla looks interesting, too, but that has opened since my last visit so I can’t give a first hand opinion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Did any of you visit Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra?
It was built by one of my distant cousins, Antonio Augusto Carvalho Monteiro.
Spectacular place, especially if you have any interest/knowledge in the occult sciences.
We spent many hours there and it blew our minds.

Staying overnight is definitely the way to go. Even if you compete with the multitude during the day. I did not know about the tram but would definitely take this trip next time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Ooooh! Thank you! I am going to Sintra when I take a few days in Lisbon next year and am now looking forward to this addition!

Because so many of you seem interested, I'll post the booking.com info on the apartment we stayed in, in "local" Sintra. As the listing notes, it's very close to the town Mercado, and several quite good restaurants, as well as the terrific tram.

There were 3 of us, and we stayed in the 2-bedroom apartment. We peeked upstairs when it was being cleaned between clients, and saw the studio as well. Both of them well set up, fully furnished with excellent cooking facilities, and very very nice. The owner doesn't live there, but is nearby and makes it very easy to book in.

Highly recommended!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back