• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Riding the St James Way from St Jean Pied de Port to Finesterre

Gita

Time of past OR future Camino
May 17th 2018
Just finished the Camino over 20 days with 3 rest days, one in Burgos, Leon and Santiago. A fantastic experience, but riding the track 90% of the way meant there was a lot of MTB skills needed by the group. We had 12 members in our group and pre organised accomodation due to our bikes and number of people.
Getting the bikes to the start was a nightmare - the airports were great, but the Renfe is very fussy and refused our bikes, we had to forfeit the tickets and hire a car to Pamplona, the taxi to St Jean - not the cheapest way to do things, but no choice.
The first day was to a town past Zubiri and this was a HUGE day. Don't underestimate the climb, as it starts from almost the town and doesn't stop much all day. Scenery is stunning although we had fog too. If it was raining it would be very unpleasant. In places the track was really wet and deep mud, going through the rocky pass was pushing the bikes, but possible. We were very pleased our accomodation had a hose as the bikes really needed a wash.
Day 2 was very narrow along the creek, but beautiful. Many of the walkers don't like the bikes, but tolerate them. The scenery continued to be stunning and so varied.
I am not going to go through every day, but rather to point out there is a lot of climbing, sharp pinches and some really tough days, O'Cebrero of course is a huge climb, and again we had no views. Overall however it was all fantastic and well worthwhile. You do get fitter on the trip, but a high level of fitness (60km on a road bike comfortably) would be a guideline - with hill work.
We had an amazing group, no complaints, all capable and positive which makes it much easier.
We rode the 90km to Finisterre in one day in the rain, I would suggest this is broken into 2 days to enjoy it more, but well worth finishing to The End of the World - so beautiful.
We hired a bus to bring us home, not riding back to Santiago, and we were very glad. Not cheap at 50 euros, but still pleased we did. Hope this helps others who are thinking of the ride.
We had some hire bikes, others brought their own, some transferred luggage, others carried theirs, but were a lot slower.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just finished the Camino over 20 days with 3 rest days, one in Burgos, Leon and Santiago. A fantastic experience, but riding the track 90% of the way meant there was a lot of MTB skills needed by the group. We had 12 members in our group and pre organised accomodation due to our bikes and number of people.
Getting the bikes to the start was a nightmare - the airports were great, but the Renfe is very fussy and refused our bikes, we had to forfeit the tickets and hire a car to Pamplona, the taxi to St Jean - not the cheapest way to do things, but no choice.
The first day was to a town past Zubiri and this was a HUGE day. Don't underestimate the climb, as it starts from almost the town and doesn't stop much all day. Scenery is stunning although we had fog too. If it was raining it would be very unpleasant. In places the track was really wet and deep mud, going through the rocky pass was pushing the bikes, but possible. We were very pleased our accomodation had a hose as the bikes really needed a wash.
Day 2 was very narrow along the creek, but beautiful. Many of the walkers don't like the bikes, but tolerate them. The scenery continued to be stunning and so varied.
I am not going to go through every day, but rather to point out there is a lot of climbing, sharp pinches and some really tough days, O'Cebrero of course is a huge climb, and again we had no views. Overall however it was all fantastic and well worthwhile. You do get fitter on the trip, but a high level of fitness (60km on a road bike comfortably) would be a guideline - with hill work.
We had an amazing group, no complaints, all capable and positive which makes it much easier.
We rode the 90km to Finisterre in one day in the rain, I would suggest this is broken into 2 days to enjoy it more, but well worth finishing to The End of the World - so beautiful.
We hired a bus to bring us home, not riding back to Santiago, and we were very glad. Not cheap at 50 euros, but still pleased we did. Hope this helps others who are thinking of the ride.
We had some hire bikes, others brought their own, some transferred luggage, others carried theirs, but were a lot slower.
I'm walking this starting 25th July, but might be tempted to see about hiring a bike from Santiago to Finisterre,
Is this section for mountain bikes ?
Bill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What they said above.... I met some bikers who endangered their lives ....and ours!
Not good.
I read in another thread the story of a lady biker sho had slipped and her bike fell on top of her. We nearly had this happening descending to Zubiri (I think) , overloaded bikes and unexperienced riders.... A nightmare! And nothing we could do at the time to prevent it. And that wasn’t the only occasion.
No, I am not fond of bikers who share the Camino, imho they should stay on the roads. For their good and ours (the walkers). I have seen too many horrible accidents waiting to happen but for the grace of God!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola @Gita, As one who has also ridden this camino (Pamplona to Santiago only) I too would enjoy seeing a report of the total pilgrimage. I found that even with a MTB/Hybrid there were sections where it was far more intelligent to follow the road rather than the walkers tracks.
Areas that come to mind include the climb from Las Herrerias to O'Cebreiro & Rabanal to Molinaseca (that descent from the Cruz has to be on road). I cycled in 2015 and last May I walked it especially to see that sections that I had missed riding. I was glad I had opted to avoid some of the walkers way especially when confronted with other less understanding cyclists who chose to follow the walkers and then expected us to get out of their way without giving any warning of their approach. Cheers

Nice that you have provided quite thorough report about your ride but I just want to point out one merely technical distinction about Way of St.James and other routes. If you're riding (or walking) FROM Santiago to Fisterra it's not Way of St.James, it's Camino Finisterre.
BUT if you are riding (or walking) from Fisterra (through Muxia for obtaining Compostela or vice versa) to SdC that is indeed Way of St.James. To make it clearer - Way(s) of St.James are going (and ending in) TO Santiago de Compostela and not FROM it.

Buen Camino!

Thanks for your help mate. I plan to go from st jean to Santiago de compostela and onto fisterre and muxia and back to Santiago de compostela in 6 weeks. May June 2020 or 2021

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Of course my initial thought was like OMG that is some serious speed-walking...but then I read the 2nd sentence
:)
Still amazing to do in 17 riding days. 20 total.
Im planning twice as long for may June 2020

@pilgrimglenn7 yes you are correct - so it is even faster.
Well... as evident from my avatar - I am 2 years away from CF but i will walk (IMHO I will do better walking that biking as I have not done any 'serious' biking in probably 20 years)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@pilgrimglenn7 yes you are correct - so it is even faster.
Well... as evident from my avatar - I am 2 years away from CF but i will walk (IMHO I will do better walking that biking as I have not done any 'serious' biking in probably 20 years)
Same here mate. I start bike training in a few months not ridden since 2004 when i was a assistant mountain bike rider at a summer camp
I plan to go in may 2020 or 2021 and take 6 weeks

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back