• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

RIP, Alison Raju

peregrina2000

Staff member
Many forum members have used one or another of the camino guides written by Alison Raju. Her obituary tells of a life well lived, may she rest in peace.

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Passport
Original passport made by the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Shipped from Santiago all around the world with DHL.

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Year of past OR future Camino
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
I had no idea Alison was anywhere near the age of 81. For some reason, I always thought her to be, maybe in her 50's (I'd never seen a photo), so reading 'RIP: Alison Raju' was a bit of a shock.

A full life of giving & sharing knowledge to both walkers & language learners. Her contribution to the Camino community will live on. 💐
👣 🌏

Donovan

Sad news indeed. When I was first arrival at the CSJ refuge in Miraz the hospitalleros introduced themselves as Alison and Bob. I had used Alison's guides previously and it took me a while to figure out my extreme good fortune. We finished up as a band of about 8 that evening, representing Belgium, Spain, Germany and Australia. At that time the advice was to bring your own food to Miraz as the local bar didn't offer anything to eat. From the bits and pieces we had brought Alison and Bob conjured up a great meal at which Alison was in her element, she was a mine of information, conversing fluently in Spanish, French, German and English. A magical camino experience. Vale Alison.

Last edited:
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Passport
Original passport made by the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Shipped from Santiago all around the world with DHL.

Glenshiro

Le Puy - León, Camino Frances (2012 - 2019)
Shocked and saddened to read this. I bought Alison's guide to the Le Puy route in 2010 and it sits, a little battered and worn, on my study bookshelf. It has guided me, over the years, all the way to St Jean Pied de Port and beyond. I am still using her guide to the CF, and although, sadly, much of the directions have been rendered out of date, her comments, insights and historical notes are still as relevant as ever . I had always assumed I would have the opportunity to meet her one day, at a CSJ event, and thank her for her inspiration. Requiescat in pace.

MaineSally

MaineSally
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17): Camino Portuguese ('19)
What a force! What a gifted lady, and how fortunate so many were touched by Alison's gifts.
Admittedly, reading Alison's obituary makes one pause to consider whether one has taken advantage of every minute of every day.

The net would have to be cast far and wide to include Alison's family, friends, fellow authors, pilgrims, musicians and admirers...I offer my sympathy to all. May we all be as impactful as Alison was.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

evanscl

Oct 2016
I used Alison’s guidebook to the VF back in 2017. It was an excellent guidebook - giving small details which were much appreciated.
My condolences to her family and to all her friends - particularly her CSJ friends.
We came across Alisons VF guide at our last stop before heading over the St Bernard pass into italy. We presumed a walker had jettisoned it after coming over the pass from italy - or maybe before going over as it isnt lightweight. We asked the hotel owner for permission to take it with us despite it adding to our already substantial packs. She proved an interesting guide on our route to Rome with an alternative view sometimes to our italian guide book. If i could leave only a tiny part of a contribution such as she made i would feel i had done something. A true role model.

filly

Frances, via de la Plata, Sanabres, camino de Levante, Norte, Primitivo, Ingles, Santiago to Muxia and Fisterra, part chemin in France, der Oekumenische Pilgerweg/via Regia, via Tolosana, Aragones, 2017 April/May Lisbon to SdC
I used Alison’s VdlP CSJ guide many years ago and so appreciated all the erudite information on architectural gems; last year she accompanied me on St Olav’s Way. A great loss... and I too thought she was a contemporary rather than an elder.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Inmust
Say I did not know who this woman was but after reading her obituary wow she was a woman to be admired in so many ways. I would think it would have been very special to have sat down with her and had a coffee and a really long chat. She had so many talents. May she Rest In Peace and I am sure the universe has a special place for her.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

OZAJ

Mozarabe/VdlP/Sanabres (2008) Norte (2009) Vezelay/Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2010) etc.
Sad news indeed. When I was first arrival at the CSJ refuge in Miraz the hospitalleros introduced themselves as Alison and Bob. I had used Alison's guides previously and it took me a while to figure out my extreme good fortune. We finished up as a band of about 8 that evening, representing Belgium, Spain, Germany and Australia. At that time the advice was to bring your own food to Miraz as the local bar didn't offer anything to eat. From the bits and pieces we had brought Alison and Bob conjured up a great meal at which Alison was in her element, she was a mine of information, conversing fluently in Spanish, French, German and English. A magical camino experience. Vale Alison.
That sounds very like my experience at Miraz. I went to the bar for some bottles of wine. We all drank too much and overslept. Bob had to kick us out of the albergue next morning. I think it was 2009.

backpack45scb

2001 CF, 04-6 LP, 07 Port, 08-10 Arles, 11 Mozá,12-13 Gen-LP. 00-10 PCT, 15 Norte, 16 Primi
That was a shock - we relied on Alison's little books for quite a few trips. She had a unique, almost a shorthand way of giving route directions and crammed in a lot of information in a pocket sized guide. Definitely a pioneer of Camino guidebooks. She will be missed.

Camino Way Markers

CaroleH

VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
Oh dear.

Reminiscing here with our collection of Mozarabe and VdlP guide books by Alison. So helpful. Such memories.
RIP camino angel.

2002-2019 Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Via de la plata, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo, etc.
Many forum members have used one or another of the camino guides written by Alison Raju. Her obituary tells of a life well lived, may she rest in peace.

So sad to hear this Laurie. Alison has been a guiding star for many years. We've spoken about her every time we have been on or near the Padornelo. May she rest in peace.

2002-2019 Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Via de la plata, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo, etc.
In 2004 we were on the way to Aldeanueva del Camino after a long hot day from Cacaboso. We stopped to rest near the motorway. One of our companions who had a German guide book said, a little bit despairingly, it's still 14 kilometers to Aldea. I disagreed saying "Alison says it's 4". "Haha how would she know" he said, tired and annoyed. We walked 4 kilometers and entered Aldea. After that, and all the way to Santiago we "listened" to Alison!! Rest in peace, a wonderful person.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Aragon/CF 08, Arles 10, Le Puy 12, Geneva 14, VdlP 15, Norte/Primitivo 15, VF 17, Levante 18, Moz 19
Alison Raju was my guide for the Via Francigena, Camino Frances, Aragones, Mozarabe, Via de la Plata, Sanabres, the Vezelay and Le Puy routes..... In fact, in my first 6 years of walking caminos, I would choose my next camino based on availability of her guide books. I loved her descriptions, her perspectives, her wry comments. I appreciated her advice to take a rest day in a small village, not a big city. I even tolerated her not infrequent confusion with right and left, especially in her two volume Via Francigena guide. I considered her my friend, though I never met her. Her guide books changed my life, and I will miss her.
What a life she led!

Mike Wells

author of 'Cycling the Camino Frances'
Camino Frances (1995) (2017 twice) (2018); Via de la Plata (1996); Finisterre (2018)
When I first cycled the CF in 1995 there were no guidebooks to cycling the Camino so I travelled using the 1994 first edition of Alison's CF walking guide for Cicerone Press. I still have it on my bookshelf. I did not imagine that over twenty years later I would be commissioned by Cicerone to write my own guide to cycling the very same route. Though we never met, much of my inspiration came from Alison.

Rest in peace.

Last edited:

Angelo

Frances (2014)
Portugues (2015)
Madrid (2017)
Inglés (2017)
Invierno (Apr. 2019)
Sad to hear about her passing.
Her guide book on the CF was my constant companion from SJPdP all the way to Santiago in 2014.
Rest in Peace.

Camino Frances, Via De La Plata, Camino De Madrid, The Oberstrasse, Camino Ingles, Camino Portugues
She didn't have a camino guide in 2000 when I first walked but I used her VDLP guide when I walked the VDLP in 2003. I have met her several times at CSJ Practical pilgrim days and yes she was a very warm and approachable person.

2021 Camino Guides
Camino Passport

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
I even tolerated her not infrequent confusion with right and left, especially in her two volume Via Francigena guide.
Ahhh...memories! It makes me smile on reflection but I confess in the moment, I was not as tolerant as you @Sitkapilgrim 😇 There was many a time I looked to the heavens with a slightly exasperated 'Oh, Alison...' Now of course, I would look upward for a different reason 🤗
👣 🌏

alhartman

346 joyful days in Spain and France since 2005
Hope so!
Never met this wonderful lady. But I would say her guidebooks opened up the modern camino as much as Cohelo and McLaine. Her guide was my planning tool for 2006 LePuy (then discovered MiamMiamDoDo) and my constant companion on 2008 Aragones, 2010 Vezelay, and 2010 VdlP. I would have never done those caminos without her work. Thank you!! Vaya con Dios

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
May she rest in Peace having finally reached her destination. Well done!

Paul J W

Paul J
Miscellaneous camino routes since 2000.
More than an excellent guide to our several pilgrimages, Alison was an inspiration who so frequently felt like a fellow traveller with whom my wife and conversed and occasionally, it has to be admitted, challenged: uttering, for instance, “you can’t be serious!” when a detour is suggested.
Thank you, Alison. Rest peacefully.